Forum Settings
Forums

Would you reread manga you KNOW you finished, but forgot all about?

New
Nov 3, 2017 1:56 AM

Dec 2013
Only the past few months have I been seriously keeping track of the manga that I'm reading and have finished. I used to be pretty lazy about keeping track, but now I feel it's for the better because I'm constantly running into manga titles that I KNOW I've finished before, but I don't recall what happened at all in the story.

This problem tends to mainly happen with shorter manga (<50 chapters) in my experience. I could recall 100+ chapters manga decently enough. Also once I mark a manga as "Completed", I don't really look at that list anymore, so whenever I see one that isn't on my list, I contemplate on what to do.

One reasoning for NOT rereading would be something like "If I forgot about it, it's not memorable. Not memorable means it's "not good", etc." But this is flawed because it could just so happen that long periods of time (a few years+) just simply made me forget the story. I could have really liked the story then, but I can't recall everything since so much time has passed.
Nov 3, 2017 2:00 AM

Jul 2012
One reasoning for NOT rereading would be something like "If I forgot about it, it's not memorable. Not memorable means it's "not good", etc."
Well, it could ALSO be too complicated to remember all of it. For me, I don't remember much of Evangelion or Monster bc they were very intense series with too much substance.
Nov 3, 2017 2:00 AM

Sep 2017
Nah. I just read spoilers instead. If it is less than 40 chapters though ill reread it.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Nov 3, 2017 3:07 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I don't reread unless it's on-going and for me personally I tend to remember story beats of even pretty shallow stuff I've read as long as it wasn't the blandest thing on the face of the earth.

I'd say if the art / first chapter doesn't pique your immediate interest or memory you shouldn't even bother giving it another go unless you're curious about what made you finish it.
Nov 3, 2017 2:30 PM

Mar 2009
I seem to be able to recall if I liked the manga or not at the very least, even if I forget most of the details. Which is pretty handy, actually. As long as I can remember that I liked it, I don't mind re-reading it. It's honestly been ages since I've re-read something though, always reading new stuff.
Nov 3, 2017 4:10 PM

Feb 2011
If the manga in question is good, having the chance to reread it as the first time is great.
Doesn't happen often to be able to re-experience a good manga, and mangas which are so good to have high reread value aren't common.

It's a different matter if the manga you forgot about didn't leave a good impression, no use going over something you remember not being very good.

By the way, it isn't only the boring or bad things to get forgotten over time, old memories are overwritten by new ones, but some general idea of what a story is about should still remain, even if all the details are lost.

kamisaka said:
I'm constantly running into manga titles that I KNOW I've finished before, but I don't recall what happened at all in the story.

That happens to me a lot, but with ongoing mangas, which have irregular releases, or which I didn't follow for a while. Happens to get back to a manga after months or years and have no idea what was happening, in those cases rereading even 10 or more chapters back, or the whole thing from start, is the only way to get back into it.

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Nov 3, 2017 4:39 PM

Mar 2017
I haven’t reread anything yet. There’s too much I haven’t read that I want to read.
Nov 3, 2017 5:51 PM

Jun 2012
I still do the re-reading even if I don't completely forgot all about it. But I also think there's some good points to re-reading a series you acknowledge as good even though you've lost all the thoughts of what's good about it.
Nov 3, 2017 6:06 PM

Dec 2013
Mayuka said:
Well, it could ALSO be too complicated to remember all of it. For me, I don't remember much of Evangelion or Monster bc they were very intense series with too much substance.

Yes, this is very true. I actually forgot a lot of what happened in Monster, BUT I do remember how it ended, how suspenseful it was to me, and how much I enjoyed reading it many years ago. Way too many details to recall, but I feel content knowing the big picture of the manga.

Stripesu said:
I don't reread unless it's on-going and for me personally I tend to remember story beats of even pretty shallow stuff I've read as long as it wasn't the blandest thing on the face of the earth.

I'd say if the art / first chapter doesn't pique your immediate interest or memory you shouldn't even bother giving it another go unless you're curious about what made you finish it.

Yup, a lot of generic manga is easily forgotten to me. I'm trying to do a better job at this by dropping series after the few chapters if I don't like it. Don't like to force myself anymore to read through it.

Zeando said:
If the manga in question is good, having the chance to reread it as the first time is great.
Doesn't happen often to be able to re-experience a good manga, and mangas which are so good to have high reread value aren't common.

It's a different matter if the manga you forgot about didn't leave a good impression, no use going over something you remember not being very good.

Yes, I steer clear of manga that gave me a bad impression overall. Sometimes it's a hit or miss if I thought the manga was actually good before, but it turns out the ending was bad, etc. But I agree that rereading sometime that turns out to be great is worth the trouble.
Nov 4, 2017 8:49 AM

Nov 2011
i spent the night re-reading Pop-in-Q, so yes i would.
if i found the manga enjoyable, i'll probably read it again sometime.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Nov 4, 2017 10:37 AM

Jul 2009
Sure but the ones i reread was not for that purpose.

I reread some of my Berserk manga once and i recently reread the first 8 volumes of Bleach.

I reread Berserk because the Golden Age Arc was perfect, i will probably read it again and again in the future. I reread first 8 volumes of Bleach to see if i like it this time around and i liked it, i will get the box sets and continue like that for sure. :D I wasn't probably in the bestest of moods when i first read the Bleach so i didn't like it.

I will probably reread One Piece too to see if i like it this time around. If i can find my trades, that is.
Nov 4, 2017 11:17 AM

Jan 2014
From experience, I'd reread something I forgot but as I read, I start remembering the story much clearer so I don't ever finish re-reading something. Granted I don't read that much Manga.
Nov 4, 2017 3:15 PM

Apr 2013
if it was good, then it's still good the second or third time around
Nov 5, 2017 11:17 AM

Mar 2017
Nisekoi. Ive reread 3 times already. Probs cus i was a puberty driven teen but who gives
Nov 9, 2017 10:15 AM
Mar 2017
Pretty sure I've never forgotten about finishing a manga. If I still found interest to it and it wasn't fresh in my mind then sure, I'd reread it. Some series also just have alot of reread value to me, like FMA and Black Cat.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

373 by Yuki135 »»
3 hours ago

» PINK BANANA is coming! The first English language book of its kind which collects some of the weirdest and most obscure manga of the 60s and 70s.

showashowcase - Apr 2

1 by St0rmblade »»
4 hours ago

» Manga Wisdom for the Ages ( 1 2 )

Nekoburger - Aug 9, 2023

50 by Nekoburger »»
5 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

19 by LordZirkaZero »»
5 hours ago

» How long does it take you to read a LN volume?

Maou_heika - Feb 8

19 by Narushisto »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.