Forum Settings
Forums

For people who believe in the existence of the afterlife, hell and heaven and/or follow a religion

New
Nov 1, 2017 12:10 AM

Jan 2010
Would you still follow your religion's "dos" and "don'ts" if there is no hell and heaven?

» ANYONE are free to come and voice their opinion
» However this question is obviously directed to those who BELIEVE in the existence of heaven and hell

I'm a believer, and I often think that if there is no hell in the afterlife... I probably won't bother to do some of the "dos" and won't feel guilty when I do some of the "don'ts"

EDIT:
Err Idk why some people responded the way they did but I'm not asking whether you believe in hell/heaven or not...........?? Hmm
I was asking what if there is no mention of heaven or hell in your religion...
CrimsonMidnightNov 1, 2017 2:39 AM
Nov 1, 2017 12:12 AM

Jan 2009
related science stuff about why a lot of people believe in the afterlife https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terror_management_theory
Nov 1, 2017 12:49 AM

Sep 2014
I'm not a religious fanatic, but wouldn't that make the religion obsolete if there was no after life? Unless you follow Buddhism or any religion that has reincarnation, so that would mean Christianity would fall apart, and that quite frankly is a scary thought. People that follow the word of god to the dot won't have any sense of morals.
Nov 1, 2017 1:10 AM

Apr 2014
I follow certain dos and don'ts regardless, but I get the sense that these dos and don'ts that seem intuitive to me come from somewhere other than this plane of existence. We're supposed to believe that it's all evolutionary psychology, and that makes sense, but what is evolution pushing us toward? To a higher level of consciousness, it seems to me. What is the highest level of consciousness?

Christianity gets the closest to expressing the entirety of moral truth in the universe, from what I've seen. Do I literally believe in the Resurrection and other Biblical events? Not quite, and I feel like if I say "yes" it would be mainly out of a desire to believe in it. I think the wise men who wrote these things were struggling toward the truth, carving it out, often imperfectly, but they've created a template for getting there.
Nov 1, 2017 1:11 AM

Apr 2016
Because all of them are waiting for me by the side of The God Emperor.
Nov 1, 2017 1:42 AM

May 2017
For the sake of peace and harmonious life with the things around me, sure.

"We're all human. We all make mistakes sometimes.
Just don't make mistakes when lives are at stake."
~ Great-Grandmother Mikage, Gin no Saji

Nov 1, 2017 1:50 AM

Sep 2017
Of course I believe them. I also believe that the earth is flat and the earth is 5000 years old.

"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Nov 1, 2017 4:31 AM

Jun 2015
nymi said:
Of course I believe them. I also believe that the earth is flat and the earth is 5000 years old.

6000 actually. Gotta remember those Adam genealogies.
Nov 1, 2017 5:40 AM

Aug 2013
Of course. Even when I was an atheist I wasn't troubled by the idea of death or an "afterlife," so it has nothing to do with my being Christian in the first place. A Christian's goal should be to live in union with God, which means following Jesus' teachings and placing him above yourself. That is the Way of Life for us, and regardless of whether there is an afterlife or not, it would be a fulfilling life.
Nov 1, 2017 11:12 PM

Sep 2017
Of course, because my religion has no heaven or hell, so...
Nov 2, 2017 12:09 AM

Apr 2013
I'm a believer of the afterlife. And yeah..I would still follow some of the "dos" and "don'ts" of my religion. It's there to help anyway. I say some because I don't follow them all. There are things that I can't just help but do because it is programmed in my brain and mind.

Forum set by: DeadlyBasan
Nov 2, 2017 12:12 AM

May 2013
For me, I follow the religion because it gives me life in the present moment. If anything, I tend to push thoughts of the afterlife away.

But sometimes, when I think about it, I get a pretty great feeling.

Yeah I don't think focusing on heaven and hell is the key aspect. I think self realization and understanding of the present moment is the most important part.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Nov 2, 2017 12:19 AM

Feb 2010
i believe that death is not the end energy cannot be create or destroyed. nor can information be destroyed why would or memories personality etc be the exception?
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Nov 2, 2017 12:22 AM

Mar 2017
I am still technically part of a faith but to be honest I don't follow the doctrines at all and the only reason I still attend events is because my family is really annoying and preachy so I'd rather not deal with them talking to me about god and shit if I told them I was indifferent to the notion of religion.

come, you sweet hour of death
Nov 2, 2017 12:23 AM

Dec 2009
I would be interested in seeing the opinion of a christian who doesn't believe in an afterlife. Do they still believe in Jesus? since he came to pay the price god set for sinners according to the bible. No afterlife means no price was ever needed to be paid, which means jesus's sacrifice wasn't necessary, and so on.

Not that any of it matters to me since Im an atheist. But my key area of study is exploring people's beliefs and the reasons they have for holding those beliefs. It would be interesting to see the minimum amount of biblical text necessary to ignore to reach a "christian but w/o belief in afterlife" position. Not that this is a bad thing, mind you, just like how *current* Exodus 21 interpretation conveniently no longer means that god condones slavery (because that gets in the way of the modern apologist's claim that their god is omnibenevolent).

hazarddex said:
nor can information be destroyed why would or memories personality etc be the exception?
I think you misunderstand the theory behind that if you believe it applies to memory.
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Nov 2, 2017 12:29 AM

May 2012

The way I see afterlife is quite complicated and it doesn't include heaven nor hell. Just dimensions, and you being able to see the ones you have a similar frequency with.

So to me, as long as I don't do anything that is untrue to what I am, everything is going to be daijobu.

Men Are From Mars, 
Women Are From Venus 
and Gays Are From Uranus

Nov 2, 2017 6:20 AM
Jul 2018
I believe in the afterlife because ghosts exist. Haven't seen them but some of my friends did
Nov 2, 2017 11:33 AM

Feb 2015
In my opinion. If something gives others the strength to live through this hellish world known as reality, then why not.

Humans are a creature that can harm and do good, so in my opinion, I wouldn't care about what's his/her religion. Although that might be a different topic for certain politicians.
Nov 2, 2017 11:40 AM

Aug 2013
If I did not believe in karma, reincarnation and the existence of various hellish and heavenly realms I might care less about how my actions affect anything

on the other side my sense of secular ethics (Contractualism/Utilitarianism) is very strong and I do feel a sense of empathy for other people. Ultimately I think if I became a non-believer most of my actions which have any significant moral consequence would stay the same. I would probably get more into pointless material pleasures (like anime lel), maybe stop meditating (although secular science has validated benefits of it anyway so)

For example, I'm a vegetarian leaning vegan. Although some of the religions I have studied promote vegetarianism and you can derive veganism through various doctrines of non-violence/ahimsa and while religion is a strong reason that I do maintain such a diet, a lot of the motivation is due to environmental destruction, animal suffering, personal health and money (vegan is peasant diet)
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*

More topics from this board

» Believe it or not, but my father-in-law works for law enforcement

DesuMaiden - 38 minutes ago

6 by cody »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

59 by cody »»
7 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 8 hours ago

5 by cody »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Yesterday

15 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
29 minutes ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

68 by shadowdownfall »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.