Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 31, 2017 8:38 AM

Jan 2015
For me it's akira, amon and juuzo, and I just find them really delusional and annoying.
Oct 31, 2017 9:04 AM

Oct 2013
Mutsuki, of coures. Aura comes following.
Oct 31, 2017 9:41 AM
Apr 2016
I guess I hate kanou
Oct 31, 2017 10:19 AM

Jan 2010
Ishida

» Touka
I used to like her back then when I'm an anime only watcher. Especially in the first TG. At the end of TG Root A, not so much.
In :re, she became irrelevant most of the story, and suddenly, she became relevant again only to be reduced to a mere plot device and be pretty.
And most other female characters was either reduced or ruined. Most notably is Touka, Rize, Akira, and Mutsuki. and Eto
I have a feeling Ishida doesn't know how to write female characters properly.

» Kaneki
Never been a fan of him in the first place, but I liked him as Sasaki and Reaper. Lately I found him pretty annoying. I get it he is mentally unstable and scarred, but I don't know I just grow pretty apathetic towards him.

That's all I guess. I mean, there are other characters that annoys me sometimes, but not important enough for me to care.
Nov 4, 2017 2:22 PM

Oct 2017
These days Kaneki. He went from one of the more compelling protagonists in manga to a a complete joke and bitch. Ishida butchered his character with this recent arc.

I couldnt care less for him currently..
Aardwolf94Nov 4, 2017 2:26 PM
Nov 18, 2017 11:56 AM

Jan 2015
Ok, so I caught up properly with RE. I like akira and amon more towards the end, so I remove them from my most hated spot, suzuya stays there forever, now taking the no1 spot. And mutsuki and aura will be the new top3 hated for me
Nov 18, 2017 12:57 PM

Apr 2016
Shicchi said:
» Touka
I used to like her back then when I'm an anime only watcher. Especially in the first TG. At the end of TG Root A, not so much.
In :re, she became irrelevant most of the story, and suddenly, she became relevant again only to be reduced to a mere plot device and be pretty.
^ This is how I feel about Touka too. I was not a fan of Touka when I watched the first season, and when I read Tokyo Ghoul, but I was able to understand her. But right now...Touka did nothing useful in :re, only to be relevant now as a plot device. I’d rather have Touka removed from the story, than see her again.

Besides Touka, there aren’t any characters I passionately dislike. I can tolerate them, like Mutsuki.
Nov 19, 2017 2:00 AM

Jun 2010
I don't really "hate" anyone as chars, though there are a few chars I do hate. I'd put Aura at the top of the list. (if only he listened to and took after his aunt more, maybe he wouldn't be such an asshole.)

And lol.. I'm sensing a lot of butthurt shippers still around with all the Touka hate.. *rollseyes*
Nov 19, 2017 2:51 AM

Aug 2015
Mutsuki i guess.

Also mad with how Eto's character was ended. Too many in tokyo ghoul isn't properly introduced, or concluded- Noro Tatara etc.

Am more so disappointed in what the author has done to the series in general, and a couple of my faves like Touka. The world i enjoyed, has to turned into a fighting contest to see which can be killed the most brutally, and lose the most limbs.
NemeruNov 19, 2017 2:57 AM
Nov 19, 2017 2:56 AM

Dec 2014
Is everyone but Eto an acceptable answer?
On second thought, don't answer that. I'm going with it either way.
Ishida royally fucked so many of these characters it's hard not to hate them all... /sigh
Nov 19, 2017 2:58 AM

Sep 2017
Kaneki became too edgy.

“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

Nov 19, 2017 3:42 AM

Jun 2016
Kaneki,Juzo suzuya,Mutsuki and Aura I hate this guys the most.

Kaneki for being a pussy who refuse to kill anyone.Because of his no killing policy does absolute nothing and Achieve nothing as Goat leaders. The only thing he did was get Goat members kill and Save Amon and Akira.

Suzuya for being slave of CCG who does everything they told him without ever questioning them. I hope Suzuya die painful death. I just Hate his personality overall. I don t get why people even Like Suzuya??

Mutsuki For being sick yandere bitch who trying to force romance with Kaneki. Despite the fact that Kaneki and Touka are married. Mutsuki should just die. She is waste of characters

Aura for acting Tough despite being weak. I just hate his personality he just pathectic.

I have lost Interest with most of the characters ever since Arima and Eto gone. Only the plot is what keep me going. I only like Urie,Ayato,Hinami,Donato,Kurona,Takizawa and Hide.

This series lost Its greatness when Arima and Eto die. They shouldn t have die or dissapear from the plot.
PrideRoyalIvyNov 19, 2017 3:49 AM

Nov 19, 2017 3:44 AM

Jan 2015
James_xeno said:
I don't really "hate" anyone as chars, though there are a few chars I do hate. I'd put Aura at the top of the list. (if only he listened to and took after his aunt more, maybe he wouldn't be such an asshole.)

And lol.. I'm sensing a lot of butthurt shippers still around with all the Touka hate.. *rollseyes*

I still don't get it who else was an alternative to ship kaneki with... like...i really hope people are not serious about shipping kaneki and hide....
Nov 19, 2017 4:38 AM
Jul 2018
Suzaku Kururugi from Code Geass he just annoys me he cant ever seem to decide whos side hes on and the ending of Code Geass was the final nail in the coffin

Natsu Dragneel from Fairy Tail i find him annoying and a bit dull

i also dont like Hiyoko Saionji Mahiru Koizumi from Dangnronpa i just dint like their characters
Nov 19, 2017 5:58 AM

Jan 2010
ImAWeebUwU said:
James_xeno said:

I still don't get it who else was an alternative to ship kaneki with... like...i really hope people are not serious about shipping kaneki and hide....

Why there should be an alternative in the first place?

Also, Touka's hate not only coming from shippers ;D
Nov 19, 2017 9:47 AM

Jun 2016
WyNdZ said:
Furuta because I'm not a fan of his retard behaviour and I blame him for the drop in quality of the manga.

Mutsuki as well because I'm not a fan of her psycho lover behaviour.

James_xeno said:
I don't really "hate" anyone as chars, though there are a few chars I do hate.

What does that statement even mean? The two parts of that statement contradict each other.

Also please there's no need to insult people just because they hate Touka. Not everyone who hates her is some shipping fan. Btw I don't hate her in case you're wondering, I think it makes sense they became a couple.

ImAWeebUwU said:

I think some people wanted Eto and Kaneki to be a ship since they were both one eyed ghouls and both are powerful. I mean Eto would make a good queen ghoul. Also they're both batshit crazy so I guess they could make a good match.

Levi_Ackerman_10 said:

Suzuya for being slave of CCG who does everything they told him without ever questioning them. I hope Suzuya die painful death. I just Hate his personality overall. I don t get why people even Like Suzuya??

I like him because he's one of the few human characters who isn't ghoul fodder. I also like that he's a bit crazy and his character design is pretty cool. Anyways I always felt like Suzuya was also one of the few people who didn't care to follow the rules of the CCG especially in part 1. I was a bit disappointed that he fought kaneki but he was blackmailed though. Anyways I hope that Suzuya soon betrays Furuta but if he remains a slave to the CCG to the end then I'll also be very disappointed with his character.

To be Fair Ishida Sui have ruins a lot his character.Either how they went out or what they become. Like Eto who went like a trash,Touka become Romance plot device,Ayato remains spectator does nothing In the series and Amon spectator as well despite having ability to do something Instead choose to do nothing.

Lately The characters have change to worse and everyone become weird and Inconsistent with their characters. Only Arima went out with bang and stay true to his characters.

Most of the characters from Tokyo ghoul original series have their role either lessen or become worse. Eto,Touka and Amon suffer the worst with their characters becoming nonsense.
PrideRoyalIvyNov 19, 2017 3:02 PM

Nov 19, 2017 10:36 AM

Oct 2017
Levi_Ackerman_10 said:
WyNdZ said:
Furuta because I'm not a fan of his retard behaviour and I blame him for the drop in quality of the manga.

Mutsuki as well because I'm not a fan of her psycho lover behaviour.

What does that statement even mean? The two parts of that statement contradict each other.

Also please there's no need to insult people just because they hate Touka. Not everyone who hates her is some shipping fan. Btw I don't hate her in case you're wondering, I think it makes sense they became a couple.

I think some people wanted Eto and Kaneki to be a ship since they were both one eyed ghouls and both are powerful. I mean Eto would make a good queen ghoul. Also they're both batshit crazy so I guess they could make a good match.

I like him because he's one of the few human characters who isn't ghoul fodder. I also like that he's a bit crazy and his character design is pretty cool. Anyways I always felt like Suzuya was also one of the few people who didn't care to follow the rules of the CCG especially in part 1. I was a bit disappointed that he fought kaneki but he was blackmailed though. Anyways I hope that Suzuya soon betrays Furuta but if he remains a slave to the CCG to the end then I'll also be very disappointed with his character.

To be Fair Ishida Sui have ruins a lot his character.Either how they went out or what they become. Like Eto who went like a trash,Touka become Romance plot device,Ayato remains spectator does nothing In the series and Amon spectator as well despite having ability to do something Instead choose to do nothing.

Lately The characters have change to worse and everyone become weird and Inconsistent with their characters. Only Arima went out with bang and stay true to his characters.

Most of the characters from Tokyo ghoul original series have their role either lessen or become worse. Eto,Touka and Amon survive the worst with their characters becoming nonsense.

Well said. Basically every original TG character (apart from Tsukiyama and maybe Hide I guess) was butchered.

Touka beceame a generic MC obsessed love interest with nothing else to offer. Amon who was basically the second protagonist just did shit in :Re and might as well not be in the story, he is useless.

Ayato is barely a character, same for Banjou. Eto and Tatara's treatment was awful.

Kaneki himself was butchered and dumbed down and his personality changes are like DBZ transformations. Just ridiculous and repetitive
Nov 19, 2017 10:37 AM

Sep 2009
The characters are fine, really. The plot is just retarded.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 19, 2017 2:28 PM
Jul 2018
Cloe900311 said:
Shicchi said:
» Touka
^ This is how I feel about Touka too. I was not a fan of Touka when I watched the first season, and when I read Tokyo Ghoul, but I was able to understand her. But right now...Touka did nothing useful in :re, only to be relevant now as a plot device. I’d rather have Touka removed from the story, than see her again.

Besides Touka, there aren’t any characters I passionately dislike. I can tolerate them, like Mutsuki.

The idea that Touka has been useless in :Re, and is just a plot device is so redundant and objectively false.

All the significant stuff she's done in :Re
https://www.reddit.com/r/TokyoGhoul/comments/7dw44x/most_hated_characters/dq1iqkw/

Why she is anything but a plot device:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TokyoGhoul/comments/7dw44x/most_hated_characters/dq1f3yx/

An analysis of her arc, including :Re
https://www.reddit.com/r/TokyoGhoul/comments/7e2ywo/toukas_character_arc/
Nov 19, 2017 4:56 PM

Oct 2017
fullmetal-ghoul said:
Cloe900311 said:

The idea that Touka has been useless in :Re, and is just a plot device is so redundant and objectively false.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TokyoGhoul/comments/7dw44x/most_hated_characters/dq1iqkw/

https://www.reddit.com/r/TokyoGhoul/comments/7dw44x/most_hated_characters/dq1f3yx/

Dude post things here and don't link to a subreddit that would defend TG no matter what happened. Most of her "accomplishments" aren't significant (Yomo could have killed those investigators and who cares about the cafe :Re?) and weren't finished by her (Kaneki had to save her from the investigators and from Arima).

Its not good character development when she just became mature over the TS, Ishida off screened the whole thing and reduced her to a cheap MC obsessed love interest.

When he returns the whole romance is forced. They fuck, marry, she gets pregnant and becomes Kaneki's whole reason to live..in like 12 chapters. Considering the slow development of their relationship this was ridiculous and unbelievable. Only done so Ishida can force his dragon shit. The realism argument here is as silly as it gets and something TG fans love to use (Kaneki never learns= realistic for an example).

She was basically ready to sacrifice Yoriko without doing anything/considering anything else, just passive and boring like Kaneki himself in this arc.

And she was no doubt a plot device there. She is the reason Kaneki went crazy, she was used to turn him into Dragon.

Overall its a shame how her character was wasted. I actually liked her mysterious appearances in the first half of :Re, it seemed like Ishida had interesting things planned for her but instead she became the cliche pregnant love interest (the least interesting way her character could have progressed) who only became relevant when it was time for MC to go crazy.

Not surprising because he already butchered the MC as well so I guess one shouldn't expect too much for the love interest. Both used to be interesting and awesome

Aardwolf94Nov 19, 2017 5:32 PM
Nov 20, 2017 9:17 AM
Jul 2018
Aardwolf94 said:
fullmetal-ghoul said:

Dude post things here and don't link to a subreddit that would defend TG no matter what happened. Most of her "accomplishments" aren't significant (Yomo could have killed those investigators and who cares about the cafe :Re?) and weren't finished by her (Kaneki had to save her from the investigators and from Arima).

Its not good character development when she just became mature over the TS, Ishida off screened the whole thing and reduced her to a cheap MC obsessed love interest.

When he returns the whole romance is forced. They fuck, marry, she gets pregnant and becomes Kaneki's whole reason to live..in like 12 chapters. Considering the slow development of their relationship this was ridiculous and unbelievable. Only done so Ishida can force his dragon shit. The realism argument here is as silly as it gets and something TG fans love to use (Kaneki never learns= realistic for an example).

She was basically ready to sacrifice Yoriko without doing anything/considering anything else, just passive and boring like Kaneki himself in this arc.

And she was no doubt a plot device there. She is the reason Kaneki went crazy, she was used to turn him into Dragon.

Overall its a shame how her character was wasted. I actually liked her mysterious appearances in the first half of :Re, it seemed like Ishida had interesting things planned for her but instead she became the cliche pregnant love interest (the least interesting way her character could have progressed) who only became relevant when it was time for MC to go crazy.

Not surprising because he already butchered the MC as well so I guess one shouldn't expect too much for the love interest. Both used to be interesting and awesome

I don't see this going anywhere, but anyway...
I linked to the TG subreddit because there were some extremely valid points, it doesn't matter where it came from. If you can't see past that then that's being ignorant.

Her development has been great. People don't mature over a short period of time, it takes years, and that's what precisely what happened to Touka. What the original does brilliantly is start that maturation and lay the foundations for it. Her growth away from violence, realisation that killing investigators out of anger is wrong, and accepting her flaws is what helps her maturation. And that doesn't even include how she lost everything at the end of the original, and adopted a fatalistic mentality that to live as a ghoul in this twisted world is to lose things, hence why she's so much more passive and mature now. Rather than desperately fight against it, she accepts she has to lose people, hence why she sacrifices Yoriko for her husband and child. She wouldn't have done that at the start of TG, but her development hasn't been good? Pick one

The romance wasn't forced at all, actually its incredibly natural and well developed. Their feelings were established and foreshadowed in the original, and sure the progression was fast, but still natural. They're in a war to change the world, they don't know when their last breath will be, it's normal to marry after being in a relationship after a short time. And when you consider both of them are quite lonely figueres, with abandonment issues, and their deepest desire is to be loved and not be alone, it's anything but forced. It's only rushed if you ignore the psyche of the characters (this is a psychological series) and their experiences they've lead. Oh, and Kaneki making the same mistakes is realistic. Psychological traumas inflicted since childhood by a parent, takes time to heal, arguing against that is nonsensical.

Being motivated to save your family=being a plot device? Thats's such a narrow viewpoint

She's just as much as a cliche love interest as Kaneki is a cliche love interest to her. It's an equal relationship which drives the growth of each characters, and helps to heal the trauma that was inflicted upon them by a parent. That's not a cliche romance if you ask me. But like I said, your viewpoint is very narrow and it doesn't look like I can change it, so I won't be continuing with this argument.
Nov 20, 2017 10:19 AM

Oct 2017
fullmetal-ghoul said:
Aardwolf94 said:

I linked to the TG subreddit because there were some extremely valid points, it doesn't matter where it came from. If you can't see past that then that's being ignorant.

Her development has been great. People don't mature over a short period of time, it takes years, and that's what precisely what happened to Touka. What the original does brilliantly is start that maturation and lay the foundations for it. Her growth away from violence, realisation that killing investigators out of anger is wrong, and accepting her flaws is what helps her maturation. And that doesn't even include how she lost everything at the end of the original, and adopted a fatalistic mentality that to live as a ghoul in this twisted world is to lose things, hence why she's so much more passive and mature now. Rather than desperately fight against it, she accepts she has to lose people, hence why she sacrifices Yoriko for her husband and child. She wouldn't have done that at the start of TG, but her development hasn't been good? Pick one

The romance wasn't forced at all, actually its incredibly natural and well developed. Their feelings were established and foreshadowed in the original, and sure the progression was fast, but still natural. They're in a war to change the world, they don't know when their last breath will be, it's normal to marry after being in a relationship after a short time. And when you consider both of them are quite lonely figueres, with abandonment issues, and their deepest desire is to be loved and not be alone, it's anything but forced. It's only rushed if you ignore the psyche of the characters (this is a psychological series) and their experiences they've lead. Oh, and Kaneki making the same mistakes is realistic. Psychological traumas inflicted since childhood by a parent, takes time to heal, arguing against that is nonsensical.

Being motivated to save your family=being a plot device? Thats's such a narrow viewpoint

She's just as much as a cliche love interest as Kaneki is a cliche love interest to her. It's an equal relationship which drives the growth of each characters, and helps to heal the trauma that was inflicted upon them by a parent. That's not a cliche romance if you ask me. But like I said, your viewpoint is very narrow and it doesn't look like I can change it, so I won't be continuing with this argument.

Like I said the problem is that all the development was just off screened, unlike say with Tsukiyama who we really saw grow as a character. There just isn't much impact if you don't see it.

No they weren't, there were some hints at best (more from Touka than Kaneki though) and then they didn't see each other for 2 years and barely interacted after it until they suddenly have sex.

Its as rushed and forced as it gets and I say that as someone who wanted them to get together but I expected more gradual development. Instead Ishida clearly just got it over with asap so he can move on with the shitty Dragon story (where Touka acts as a plot device).

Its incredibly unrealistic for them to love each other this much all of a sudden, especially for Kaneki who suddenly considers he to be his only reason to live and keep going.

Muh psychologiocal, what a bad excuse. If this is such a psychological series how about making their romance deeper and not so shallow and rushed?

We are 300 chapters into the story yet Kaneki hasn't learned anything and is still the same worthless fuck up (if anything there was a regression because he wasn't this retarded in the original). Thats the nonsensical part.

Yeah it is, especially when you consider that Touka only became relevant a dozen chapters before that. Ishida didn't even try to make it feel natural.

Your viewpoint is just as narrow, just on the opposite side.

Nov 20, 2017 11:37 AM
Jul 2018
Aardwolf94 said:
fullmetal-ghoul said:

Like I said the problem is that all the development was just off screened, unlike say with Tsukiyama who we really saw grow as a character. There just isn't much impact if you don't see it.

No they weren't, there were some hints at best (more from Touka than Kaneki though) and then they didn't see each other for 2 years and barely interacted after it until they suddenly have sex.

Its as rushed and forced as it gets and I say that as someone who wanted them to get together but I expected more gradual development. Instead Ishida clearly just got it over with asap so he can move on with the shitty Dragon story (where Touka acts as a plot device).

Its incredibly unrealistic for them to love each other this much all of a sudden, especially for Kaneki who suddenly considers he to be his only reason to live and keep going.

Muh psychologiocal, what a bad excuse. If this is such a psychological series how about making their romance deeper and not so shallow and rushed?

We are 300 chapters into the story yet Kaneki hasn't learned anything and is still the same worthless fuck up (if anything there was a regression because he wasn't this retarded in the original). Thats the nonsensical part.

Yeah it is, especially when you consider that Touka only became relevant a dozen chapters before that. Ishida didn't even try to make it feel natural.

I was gonna leave it, but I would feel bad if I didn't say everything I wanted to.

I explained how her development wasn't off screened. Her maturation is a side effect of all the growth and change she experienced in the original. Her grows away from violence, experiences a lot of moral growth and realizes killing investigators for revenge is wrong, she accepts her flaws and improves on them. She accepts people will leave her, and as a ghoul she will have to lose things, and develops a fatalistic mentality. All this growth occurs in the original, and all contributes to why she's a much more level headed, calmer and mature person after the timeskip, because it takes years for a person to properly mature.

In addition, the focus of her characterisation in the original wasn't in the form of development but was to reveal all the layers and depth to her character.

As a very basic summary, we're initially inroduced to the hot headed girl who'd fight against any injustice done to her, and then the girl who longs to live like a human, and has a strong attachment to them. And then we see the person who desperately protects her loved ones, to the point where she'd throw away her own life. And then we see her insecurities over her ghoul identity, and then her self loathing because of how the people important have left her, and she blames herself for that. And at her core is her abandonment issues and desire to be loved/not be left alone. That's so many different layers to her character, which gives so much depth and complexity to her, and can only be matched by Kaneki.

Hints stop being hints after it was confirms they had feelings for eachother. Kaneki caring for her to a similar extent as Hide, which was apparant in his monologues, and Touka staring at her parent's wedding ring after he left her. It was obvious to me before they got together, and it should be obvious to anyone that they had strong feelings for eachother in the original, recent chapters just confirmed they were romantic feelings.

I can understand why you would want more gradual development to their relationship, I'm not going to pretend like that they're relationship progression wasn't fast paced. But it still felt natural to me, for the reasons I've already explained, the reasons you also ignored. Also, I don't see the problem with them making love. They confessed a couple of chapters before, and acted on their feelings when they were both feeling lonely (Touka thought she lost Yoriko, and reminded Kaneki of Hide).

You haven't actually explained what about this being a psychological series is a bad excuse, most likely because you can't. And by refusing to look into Kaneki and Touka's inner workings, which the series wants you to do in order to understand the feelings they have for each other, you're the one that's shallow.

As another very basic summary which you should be able to understand, both of them suffered a similar trauma at childhood which determined the way they think in the present. They both felt abandoned by a parent, and as a result suffered self loathing issues, because they both felt they weren't good enough to be chosen by said parent. They hate themselves to the extent where they don't value their own existance, and struggle to see how the people they care for can care for them in the same way, despite the fact their deepest desire is to be loved and not be alone.

So with that established, how touching do you think it would be for Touka when Kaneki said he'd be sad if she died, or when she saves her from Ayato, and promises not to leave her alone when she's remembering her trauma and how everyone close to her abandoned her, desperately pleading them not to leave. And then for Kaneki, how about when she risks her life to save him from Tsukiuyama, admitting that she cared for him and when he sees her beaten black and blue, trying to save him from Aoigiri.

Their feelings are built around the fact they show each other how much they care for each other in the most blatant way, by risking their lives for each other, when they both believe the poeple they care for don't care for them in the same way because of their trauma, abandonment issues and self loathing. That's what always seperated Touken from the other relationships the two of them form, and their relationship right now is about too characters with so much depth, acting on their deepest desire, of wanting to be loved by the person they love most, which is also why things kick of quickly once they confess. Literally the most depth in a relationship I've seen between two fictional characters, but you'll probably dismiss it as shallow again without explaining anything.

Maybe now you'll acknowledge the psychological aspects of a freaking psychological series, but you'll most likely respond with some edgy, vague responses without explaining anything. "Muh psycholigical, shallow". At least you admitted to your viewpoint being narrow, so at the very least half your final statement is correct.
removed-userNov 20, 2017 11:47 AM
Nov 20, 2017 12:03 PM

Oct 2017
fullmetal-ghoul said:
Aardwolf94 said:

I was gonna leave it, but I would feel bad if I didn't say everything I wanted to.

I explained how her development wasn't off screened. Her maturation is a side effect of all the growth and change she experienced in the original. Her grows away from violence, experiences a lot of moral growth and realizes killing investigators for revenge is wrong, she accepts her flaws and improves on them. She accepts people will leave her, and as a ghoul she will have to lose things, and develops a fatalistic mentality. All this growth occurs in the original, and all contributes to why she's a much more level headed, calmer and mature person after the timeskip, because it takes years for a person to properly mature.

In addition, the focus of her characterisation in the original wasn't in the form of development but was to reveal all the layers and depth to her character.

As a very basic summary, we're initially inroduced to the hot headed girl who'd fight against any injustice done to her, and then the girl who longs to live like a human, and has a strong attachment to them. And then we see the person who desperately protects her loved ones, to the point where she'd throw away her own life. And then we see her insecurities over her ghoul identity, and then her self loathing because of how the people important have left her, and she blames herself for that. And at her core is her abandonment issues and desire to be loved/not be left alone. That's so many different layers to her character, which gives so much depth and complexity to her, and can only be matched by Kaneki.

Hints stop being hints after it was confirms they had feelings for eachother. Kaneki caring for her to a similar extent as Hide, which was apparant in his monologues, and Touka staring at her parent's wedding ring after he left her. It was obvious to me before they got together, and it should be obvious to anyone that they had strong feelings for eachother in the original, recent chapters just confirmed they were romantic feelings.

I can understand why you would want more gradual development to their relationship, I'm not going to pretend like that they're relationship progression wasn't fast paced. But it still felt natural to me, for the reasons I've already explained, the reasons you also ignored. Also, I don't see the problem with them making love. They confessed a couple of chapters before, and acted on their feelings when they were both feeling lonely (Touka thought she lost Yoriko, and reminded Kaneki of Hide).

You haven't actually explained what about this being a psychological series is a bad excuse, most likely because you can't. And by refusing to look into Kaneki and Touka's inner workings, which the series wants you to do in order to understand the feelings they have for each other, you're the one that's shallow.

As another very basic summary which you should be able to understand, both of them suffered a similar trauma at childhood which determined the way they think in the present. They both felt abandoned by a parent, and as a result suffered self loathing issues, because they both felt they weren't good enough to be chosen by said parent. They hate themselves to the extent where they don't value their own existance, and struggle to see how the people they care for can care for them in the same way, despite the fact their deepest desire is to be loved and not be alone.

So with that established, how touching do you think it would be for Touka when Kaneki said he'd be sad if she died, or when she saves her from Ayato, and promises not to leave her alone when she's remembering her trauma and how everyone close to her abandoned her, desperately pleading them not to leave. And then for Kaneki, how about when she risks her life to save him from Tsukiuyama, admitting that she cared for him and when he sees her beaten black and blue, trying to save him from Aoigiri.

Their feelings are built around the fact they show each other how much they care for each other in the most blatant way, by risking their lives for each other, when they both believe the poeple they care for don't care for them in the same way because of their trauma, abandonment issues and self loathing. That's what always seperated Touken from the other relationships the two of them form, and their relationship right now is about too characters with so much depth, acting on their deepest desire, of wanting to be loved by the person they love most, which is also why things kick of quickly once they confess. Literally the most depth in a relationship I've seen between two fictional characters, but you'll probably dismiss it as shallow again without explaining anything.

Maybe now you'll acknowledge the psychological aspects of a freaking psychological series, but you'll most likely respond with some edgy, vague responses without explaining anything. "Muh psycholigical, shallow". At least you admitted to your viewpoint being narrow, so at the very least half your final statement is correct.

Wrong, I'm not as narrow minded as you. I'll accept that she became more mature over the TS because of the things she experienced in the original. I also never denied that she is a very interesting character in the original, especially in the first half.

That doesn't mean that their romance isn't rushed and unbelievable and that it isn't cheap that Ishida only makes her relevant when a plot device is needed for Kaneki. Or that she is boring now.

You can care about somebody as a friend too and while it was more obvious for Touka it doesn't change that they barely interacted after Kaneki left Anteiku.

You TG fans love to talk about "realism" and "psychological" but relationships doesn't work this way. Her whole existence revolving around Kaneki and Kaneki after a mere 12 chapters declaring her to be his reason to live isn't realistic at all.

A well done relationship looks different. There was no gradual development, just some hints (which weren't even clear on Kaneki's side, he could have just seen her as a friend) aren't enough if you are going to suddenly make their relationship so important.

Going the cliche route with pregnancy was just awful as well. I wouldnt be surprised if she goes into labor at an important moment and I know it will be cringeworthy.

But sure its "literary the most depth in a relationship I've seen between two fictional characters" wtf. Would be good if you would admit your bias as well lol but you wont and instead dismiss me as "shallow" and "edgy".

Ishida loves to force things for the plot, Touken is just one sacrifice. Kaneki's character is another. There is a difference between being a psychological series and then having a protagonist who NEVER learns and gets played for the whole story and is a worthless fuck up
Aardwolf94Nov 20, 2017 12:35 PM
Nov 20, 2017 12:54 PM
Jul 2018
Aardwolf94 said:

Wrong, I'm not as narrow minded as you. I'll accept that she became more mature over the TS because of the things she experienced in the original. I also never denied that she is a very interesting character in the original, especially in the first half.

That doesn't mean that their romance isn't rushed and unbelievable and that it isn't cheap that Ishida only makes her relevant when a plot device is needed for Kaneki.

You can care about somebody as a friend too and while it was more obvious for Touka it doesn't change that they barely interacted after Kaneki left Anteiku.

You TG fans love to talk about "realism" and "psychological" but relationships doesn't work this way. Her whole existence revolving around Kaneki and Kaneki after a mere 12 chapters declaring her to be his reason to live isn't realistic at all.

A well done relationship looks different. There was no gradual development, just some hints (which weren't even clear on Kaneki's side, he could have just seen her as a friend) aren't enough if you are going to suddenly make their relationship so important.

The response I predicted, oh well, some people refuse to change. The same old points without any explanation. "Rushed", "unbelievable", while ignoring all my counterpoints

I wrote a pretty lengthy response about the psychology behind their relationship, and why it meant they developed strong feelings for each other, and why their relationship progressed quickly. But as I predicited, you dismiss it without really explain yourself. All you've said is that a person's psyche doesn't matter when determining their relationships with other people, which is quite amusing actually if you really believe that.

Obviously you can care each other as friends, where did I say otherwise...it's just Touka and Kaneki always cared for each other romantically. It wasn't confirmed before they got together, but once they did the hints stop being hints and become canon pieces of evidence that they had romantic feelings for each other.

You keep repeating 12 chapters, but it's really 80 chapter in the original with a strong focus on how close they've become. Everything comes to fruition in these 12 chapters. Again, same shallow points which I've already countered.

Both characters live for each other, and drive each other's growth. How is it unrealistic for Kaneki, a person with no reason to live, to find that reason when he finds out the person he loves most, loves him to the same extent.

And once again, you're talking as though they had no feelings for each other and only started to get close in these 12 chapters, which both you and I know is false. Sure they didn't interact much in :Re, because of the direction of the story, but just because you haven't seen someone in years doesn't diminish your feelings for them. At least in my case, especially when you're as close as Touken were (aka being one of, if not the most important person in each other's life). In fact, the lack of such an important person in your life would only increase your feelings for them, because you feel the effects that the lack of their presence has on you. A pretty big point about Kaneki character in the second half of the original is his depression and how it links to the lack of Touka in his life, and the effect Kaneki abandoning Touka had on her life. As they say, waiting makes the heart grow fonder.

Also she's not a plot device for being Kaneki's sole motivation, and if your gonna use that argument, you should call Kaneki a plot device for being Touka's main motivation. And sure she's the reason he became Dragon, but a character doesn't become a plot device because another character wants to protect them. Obviously her main relevance in the story is through Kaneki, because it's his story, but don't forget how she's recently guided the development of Amon, Akira and Hinami, and has grown past her issues with Akira, all of which was completely seperate from Kaneki.And Kaneki's character revolves just as heavily around her, as her character does around him.

And I'm well and truly done with this argument. You'll likely just repeat the same shallow points over and over again, all the while ignoring all my points. Dismissing the psychological aspects behind the relationship of the two main characters in a psychological series sums up how pointless this argument is.

Nov 20, 2017 1:14 PM

Oct 2017
fullmetal-ghoul said:
Aardwolf94 said:

That doesn't mean that their romance isn't rushed and unbelievable and that it isn't cheap that Ishida only makes her relevant when a plot device is needed for Kaneki.

The response I predicted, oh well, some people refuse to change. The same old points without any explanation. "Rushed", "unbelievable", while ignoring all my counterpoints

I wrote a pretty lengthy response about the psychology behind their relationship, and why it meant they developed strong feelings for each other, and why their relationship progressed quickly. But as I predicited, you dismiss it without really explain yourself. All you've said is that a person's psyche doesn't matter when determining their relationships with other people, which is quite amusing actually if you really believe that.

Obviously you can care each other as friends, where did I say otherwise...it's just Touka and Kaneki always cared for each other romantically. It wasn't confirmed before they got together, but once they did the hints stop being hints and become canon pieces of evidence that they had romantic feelings for each other.

You keep repeating 12 chapters, but it's really 80 chapter in the original with a strong focus on how close they've become. Everything comes to fruition in these 12 chapters. Again, same shallow points which I've already countered.

Both characters live for each other, and drive each other's growth. How is it unrealistic for Kaneki, a person with no reason to live, to find that reason when he finds out the person he loves most, loves him to the same extent.

And once again, you're talking as though they had no feelings for each other and only started to get close in these 12 chapters, which both you and I know is false. Sure they didn't interact much in :Re, because of the direction of the story, but just because you haven't seen someone in years doesn't diminish your feelings for them. At least in my case, especially when you're as close as Touken were (aka being one of, if not the most important person in each other's life). In fact, the lack of such an important person in your life would only increase your feelings for them, because you feel the effects that the lack of their presence has on you. A pretty big point about Kaneki character in the second half of the original is his depression and how it links to the lack of Touka in his life, and the effect Kaneki abandoning Touka had on her life. As they say, waiting makes the heart grow fonder.

Also she's not a plot device for being Kaneki's sole motivation, and if your gonna use that argument, you should call Kaneki a plot device for being Touka's main motivation. And sure she's the reason he became Dragon, but a character doesn't become a plot device because another character wants to protect them. Obviously her main relevance in the story is through Kaneki, because it's his story, but don't forget how she's recently guided the development of Amon, Akira and Hinami, and has grown past her issues with Akira, all of which was completely seperate from Kaneki.And Kaneki's character revolves just as heavily around her, as her character does around him.

And I'm well and truly done with this argument. You'll likely just repeat the same shallow points over and over again, all the while ignoring all my points. Dismissing the psychological aspects behind the relationship of the two main characters in a psychological series sums up how pointless this argument is.

You do the exact same thing yet I'm somehow the shallow one, typical TG fans.

I already explained why its unbelievable. They barely interacted after Kaneki let Anteiku (they didn't just interact barely in :RE but also barely in the original manga's second half). Some hints aren't nearly enough, their relationship was paced very slowly (are you going to deny this?) before Ishida rushed it in just 12 chapters.

Its not very realistic that they apparently loved each other so much for years just because of the few months they were together at Anteiku (half the time spend on Touka beating up Kaneki, they weren't even that close). I mean I know Touka has been desperate for him (sad to see her character having nothing else to offer anymore) but her being the person Kaneki loves the most is ridiculous.

No she is a plot device because she only became relevant (and Touken only happened) when it was needed for the Dragon story. If there was gradual development for some arcs before that I wouldn't say this. She wasn't even part of the clown arc even though story wise she could have been, Ishida half assed the whole thing and sadly you can't see that.

Its pointless to argue with someone about this who thinks this is "literary the most depth in a relationship I've seen between two fictional characters" (lmao, watch/read more stuff). Sounds like you are just projecting and using headcanon to make this relationship seem deeper than it is, oh well.

Aardwolf94Nov 20, 2017 1:21 PM
Nov 20, 2017 5:32 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Tsukiyama. I hate characters that give off rapist vibes.
Nov 23, 2017 12:24 AM

Jun 2010
Aardwolf94 said:
fullmetal-ghoul said:

Oh dear lord.. so basically the tired old "OMG!11! she's a love interest! OZMG! SHE IS RUUUUINED!"

And if you think that was "forced" then.. i don't know what to tell you..

Even worse, more pitiful excuse than that of the shippers.. :/
Nov 23, 2017 10:00 AM

Oct 2017
@James_xeno

No I was actually a shipper and supporter of Touken so I have no problem with her becoming a love interest. The problem is that it became clear Oda was only going to use her as a plot device for Kaneki's arc and just revolve her whole character around him, which is very disappointing.

How isn't this forced? She wasn't relevant in :Re until it was time for her to fuck Kaneki.
Nov 30, 2017 3:46 AM
Jun 2017
I hate touka the most....
Nov 30, 2017 8:42 AM

Dec 2015
I don't really hate anyone, though there were times that I disliked various characters.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 181 Discussion

Raizel - Aug 8, 2018

48 by flesh123 »»
Apr 12, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 125 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Z4K - May 20, 2017

333 by CanderousTheOrdo »»
Apr 5, 5:04 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 179 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 10, 2018

33 by ren_moon »»
Mar 13, 11:06 PM

» Tokyo Ghoul:re Conclusion Then vs Now

PSN - Jan 12, 2022

10 by Zero01guard »»
Dec 26, 2023 10:10 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

lunar1412 - Dec 29, 2014

204 by Buddistic »»
Sep 14, 2023 6:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.