Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 28, 2017 9:50 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A talking cat...there's something you don't see everyday.

The pacing flows well for this episode imo as it begins to adapt chapter 4.
World building is well crafted with the village of cats being featured this episode. Molly is such a beautiful cat and even Chise realizes it. It's also nice to see more a bit of focus on Mina and Matthew this episode.

I really like the details and pacing of this show so far. It doesn't leave out any important details and focuses on the world setting with its story while following the journey of the main characters.

Oct 28, 2017 11:00 AM

Jun 2015
This is one of my favorite arcs in the manga. It's brutal and sad, but incredibly moving. I hope the next episode doesn't leave out the more brutal parts.
Oct 28, 2017 11:10 AM

Apr 2009
Every episode is so enjoyable to watch! I just love this world building. Can't wait for next episode !
Oct 28, 2017 11:12 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode again.

Talking cats, what fun. xD
It's a shame that both the husband and wife had to become corrupted like that. :(

The scene with Chise walking over the water in the white robes was absolutely breathtaking.

However, purifying the two is not gonna be an easy task because we got intruders with their own goals.

Looking forward to more, this arc is really good and I really can't wait to see more.
Oct 28, 2017 11:14 AM

Jun 2016
First off... The first cat... im thinking 'adorable'.
Wiser with each life? and hes on his 7th? sounds like a sweet way to represent magical cats.
then before i expect it... more cats...
its like theres a new magical animal each week. @.@

This weeks didnt seem as magical as the ones before it, at least in a "fantastical" way. Still this episode was emotionally heavy and interesting and still adding to the world little by little in a way thats keeping me hooked. And i frickin love cats, so brownie points.
I feel like we got to see Chise mature and grow a little bit, she also looked really cool when she went to cleanse the couple... it was simply a stunning scene, it seems like theres always one really beautiful and memorable scene for each episode so far.
That reveal was exciting while the rest of the episode was kinda oddly slower up until then. Still goes by really fast, these episodes all seem to entrance me and fly by. 9/10
OneArmedBanditOct 28, 2017 11:20 AM
Oct 28, 2017 11:23 AM

Nov 2016
As a cat lover I gotta say that I really liked this episode :P

Arc seems very promising so far and I'm expecting great things of it.

Also dat cliffhanger,just hope that wasn't some inevitable foreshadowning for a tragic end.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 28, 2017 11:29 AM

Aug 2013
Now they visiting the Kingdom of Cats and wow, Molly is a beautiful cat.

Nice episode overall. Looking forward to learning more about Sleigh Beggy.

Oct 28, 2017 11:34 AM

Jun 2015
It was fun to watch the cats talk. The King of Cats looks very pretty. It's unfortunate that both the husband and wife had become corrupted like that. I wonder how that happened to them. The scene with Chise walking over the water in the white robes was beautiful. She was about to purify them, but some people stopped her and seems to know Elias. They revealed some foreshadowing about Sleigh Beggy.
Oct 28, 2017 11:44 AM

Aug 2016
Man, this episode was hard to watch... I don't like cats dying :'(
Nanika ga Okashii
Oct 28, 2017 11:50 AM

Jul 2013
A kingdom of cats where them become wiser as more they live? Sure an interesting take on the idea of magical cats for sure.

I'm sure the husband of the sick woman of the flashback, Matthew, was the one who killed all those cats and was killed in retaliation by them. The woman, in the flashback, said she wanted to have as much lives as the cat who lived with her, so it's probably she was closed to death and Matthew started to kill cats to do some weird ritual to extend the life of his wife.

And the sorcerers appears for the first time, with a very grim reveal. I don't know what is going to happen, but I think Elias bought Chise because he wanted to extend her life or something like that, I don't think he is a bad guy.
Oct 28, 2017 11:53 AM

Oct 2012
Well we finally have a plot starting to develop I knew the episode was going to end the way it did when he mentioned that she would die. Also I absolutely love cats so this episode was great but at the same time saddening and I would LOVE to have a cat that looked like Molly she's lovely.
Oct 28, 2017 12:10 PM

Sep 2017
Judging by the next ep trailer, we will have some sort of time travel/flashback shenanigans explaining the origin of the impurity.

Great setup episode for this arc, as expected. Honestly, I'm surprised by how captivating this show's world is. I started watching this expecting an emotional show, and got that, plus a memorable cast and setting that reminds me of the "real world meets magic" aspects of Harry Potter, if I had to describe it in some sort of way. Though here thay seem to coexist even more closely with, as far as I can tell, regular humans like the priest being aware of the existence of wizards and magic.

I can't wait to see how Matthew turned into the cat killer, but I'm expecting some hard feels next week. He seems like such a sweet guy in this episode... It's hard to imagine what changed him from that to a monster.
Oct 28, 2017 12:18 PM

Jul 2014
The cats thing was a bit weird, but it quickly grew on me as a concept, especially once they started to scratch the surface on the cat killer and all of that, which seems likely to be explained more next week. Also, I'm very interested in these two sorcerers and what part they're going to play, other than just forcing Elias to tell Chise about the fate that awaits a Sleigh Beggy. Also, what was with that name that the guy with a scar called Elias? All I can gather from it is that it's something to do with how Elias apparently covers up the truth a lot, but other than that it's a strange situation; even if Elias is a fake name, what are the implications of that other name (presumably his real name)?
Oct 28, 2017 12:33 PM

Sep 2016
is every episode going to be chise bullied, chise saved, pity train with some sakuga?

chise about to do things from tales of zestiria to purify those malevolence was almost awesome but then get interrupted and is going to (surprise!) get bullied again it seems. to let the viewers pity her again in next episode with all those pity inducing 'truth' that elias hide.. before getting saved.. with pretty color of course.

CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 28, 2017 12:45 PM

Aug 2015
So Chise is going to die? I think she was happy about that :v.
Oct 28, 2017 1:02 PM

Jun 2014
The end of this episode was very interesting, and raises many questions about who Elias really is and what his intentions are with Chise. I'm also hoping we learn more about Sleigh Beggies that could potentially explain some details about the inevitable death they face.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 28, 2017 1:12 PM
Jul 2016
So Chise's going to die soonish... not surprised, she seems to be the most unlucky person in the world. Given how done she is with life, she may even accept this as good fortune or something among those lines.
Oct 28, 2017 1:31 PM

Apr 2012
>miko like Chise
Interestingly they kind of went with Japanese style magic here.

Good episode, the distinction mahoutsukai/majutsushi is messing with my brains. While I understand the reasoning it's still a translating nightmare.

Also that cat story feels familiar, pretty sure it's inspired by Allan Poe.
EratiKOct 28, 2017 2:05 PM
Oct 28, 2017 1:41 PM

Dec 2014
The kingdom of cats *_* I so would like to visit it, if it actually existed.
Wtf that guy killing cats, good thing he got what he deserved.

Well we got confirmation that Chise is going to die in the near future (Lindel said 3 years if she kept using magic like that). Don't know if she is going to take it as a bad or good thing, considering what the dragon said to her last ep; to not envy the dead.
Looks like next ep we might get some action with the sorcerers. I'd personally like to see more magic being used.
Oct 28, 2017 1:52 PM

Feb 2016
Seeing Chise walking on water like that, reminded me of Yuna From Final Fantasy X while she's doing the "Sending":

This episode was so breathtaking, wonderful and beautiful. That corruption tho, looks like we will have a sad episode next week... probably
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Oct 28, 2017 1:55 PM

Aug 2016
New episode, new doubts. The story progresses and with it the development of characters, I need to know about our protagonist... I hope that at some time the anime solve my large amount of unknowns.

5/5

Another week, another delight for the eye.

Oct 28, 2017 1:59 PM

Sep 2015
A CLIFF FUCKING HANGER (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

other than that, movie tier quality again with a plot and characters that I fall deeper in love week after week ;_;

also, I like how the pace that we are going with is 1 chapter per episode (ep 4 adapted chapter 4) yet the pace doesn't seem too slow or stretched at all. Damn.
How is this possible, are there so much more pages per chapter on the manga than your average battleshounen which always tend to feel very streched..
Salokannel2Oct 28, 2017 2:04 PM
Oct 28, 2017 2:10 PM

Mar 2016
Yeahhhh! The fourth episode is finally out... I really happy to be watching instead of rewatching

Awesome episode! :( seems like Elias doesn’t like children... does that no babies ????
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 28, 2017 2:17 PM

Jun 2016
AnimeMan52 said:
It's very Ghibli-esque. I'm very interested in how the story will play out. I hope this show isn't episodic like the past couple episodes have been. Other than that, I really enjoyed this episode!

I think the arcs are intended to show us the anime's world and to teach Chise a few things about life, magic and death which must have never crossed her thoughts. At least that's my impression so far.
As for this episode, I'd actually rate it worse than the last one if it weren't for the incredible last 5 minutes or so. The scene with Chise walking in the water and the sorcerers' appearance and dialogue made it worthy of a 5/5. I dislike cats, and found them rather unnecessary to advance the anime. It wasn't like the dragon episode.

Oct 28, 2017 2:18 PM

Dec 2012
Nice episode.

Oh Man Chise keeps getting taken. Hopefully she learns how to protect herself later on.

Kingdom of cats & talking cats. Well that's interesting.

"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Oct 28, 2017 2:30 PM

May 2015
Damn, didn't expect an ending like that.

Great episode. Can't wait for the next one already.

Oct 28, 2017 2:42 PM
Jul 2018
Good episode but can't help but feel it was mostly set up for what's to come in the future so 4.5/5
Oct 28, 2017 2:51 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Another great episode. We have Chise and Elias going to a small village, still trying to take care of the tasks they were given. This time they have to put an end to the blight before it spreads all over and I was very pleased to see how this was adapted. Seeing Molly and how the world of cats is like was interesting and the bit of Mina and Matthew's relationship we got was nice although it's sad given the request Mina gave to Chise.

Now that Chise is held hostage at the moment, it's time for Elias to tell why he's been hiding some important things from Chise.

I'm very excited to see to how it plays out in the next episode. Cant wait!
Oct 28, 2017 4:16 PM

Jul 2015
Oh no she has a knife to her throat and she's been kidnapped again, who would have guessed, it's a shame the vilains didn't gave away their presence a few times before >.>

And for a girl who was going to end her life then sold herself and still has some dark thoughts i don't get why she is suddenly concerned about death.
Oct 28, 2017 4:37 PM

Mar 2016
Slow episode, but it was quickly redeemed with a subplot and cliffhanger.
This is good storytelling.
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Oct 28, 2017 4:41 PM
Apr 2017
Love it, but god cliffhangers are the worst T___T
the kingdom of cats is very interesting considering humans live with them, also I love the walking on water scene, I want to make a gif of it, it's beautiful.
Oct 28, 2017 5:13 PM
Apr 2017
Wow, after opening I feel like 2 minutes passed and it ended. I was so into it. Incredible show)
Oct 28, 2017 5:13 PM
Jul 2018
This is a bit of a weak episode but at the same time its still strong despite my concern about the setup. Although, at the same time I'm interested where this is going in terms of direction.
Oct 28, 2017 5:42 PM

Jun 2017
Salokannel2 said:

other than that, movie tier quality again with a plot and characters that I fall deeper in love week after week ;_;

also, I like how the pace that we are going with is 1 chapter per episode (ep 4 adapted chapter 4) yet the pace doesn't seem too slow or stretched at all. Damn.
How is this possible, are there so much more pages per chapter on the manga than your average battleshounen which always tend to feel very streched..

The manga is monthly and the pages are often quite packed. The mangaka doesn't waste any of them.

Wasshio said:
This is a bit of a weak episode but at the same time its still strong despite my concern about the setup. Although, at the same time I'm interested where this is going in terms of direction.

The second part of this arc is stronger imo, we will be getting the whole picture :).

AnimeMan52 said:
It's very Ghibli-esque. I'm very interested in how the story will play out. I hope this show isn't episodic like the past couple episodes have been. Other than that, I really enjoyed this episode!

It will be kinda episodic for some time, even the manga only now got a rather long arc for the first time. BUT, stuff we are getting will be good anyway so don't let this episodic nature ruin it for you.
Oct 28, 2017 5:48 PM
Jul 2018
MomoSinX said:
Salokannel2 said:

The manga is monthly and the pages are often quite packed. The mangaka doesn't waste any of them.

Wasshio said:

The second part of this arc is stronger imo, we will be getting the whole picture :).

AnimeMan52 said:

It will be kinda episodic for some time, even the manga only now got a rather long arc for the first time. BUT, stuff we are getting will be good anyway so don't let this episodic nature ruin it for you.

Well, whatever happens I'm still looking forward to it. I am curious of it of course, so we'll have to see ;w;
Oct 28, 2017 6:07 PM

Apr 2013
Wow... next episode is gonna be so dark. Also omg the preview just makes everything even worse. I feel really bad for that girl (who was sick in bed).

Oct 28, 2017 6:21 PM

Mar 2017
I wish I didn't have to wait another week for the next episode to come out.
Again, this was beautiful and as everyone else has said, the walking on water scene was visually amazing.
But let's talk about the music????? The music fits so perfectly for every scene. I especially loved the music where she's seeing all of the cats.
10/10
Oct 28, 2017 6:23 PM

Oct 2015
whew mfw didnt even realise alice was a girl in the manga cause i didnt notice the name and thought was just a bishie dude
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Oct 28, 2017 6:56 PM

Jun 2017
Scarlett_ryuken said:
whew mfw didnt even realise alice was a girl in the manga cause i didnt notice the name and thought was just a bishie dude

I thought the same until:

Oct 28, 2017 6:56 PM
Jul 2018
This is probably one of the only "hype anime of the season" where I 100% agree with everybody else.
I still can't wrap my mind around how this wasn't originally a book: this anime has that same "enchanting" feel that I've seen only in fantasy novels, something that anime rarely accomplishes.
Oct 28, 2017 6:59 PM
Jul 2018
AnimeMan52 said:

I don't understand why people are quick to call so many anime Ghibli-esque.
Ghibli's fantasy films tend to be more bizarre, weird, while still being really child-friendly, and focus much more on tone than dialogue and narrative.
Magus is far more centered around dialogue, narrative, explaining the mechanics of its fantasy elements, and being a lot more "conventional", I'd say.

Why do you not enjoy the episodic episodes? I admit, they're not very emotionally impactful, but they are really enchanting to experience.
Oct 28, 2017 7:27 PM

Dec 2013
Dem talking cats!

Dat cliffhanger! It was obvious he was keeping secrets but I didn’t expect it to be that big.
Oct 28, 2017 7:36 PM

Jun 2010
Silent_Four-Eyes said:
Man, this episode was hard to watch... I don't like cats dying :'(

Same, I'm not ready for next episode.
Oct 28, 2017 8:08 PM

Aug 2010
The art was as usual beautiful, and I found the cats really cute to be honnest haha

Although, I'm still not sure to get the pace of the anime. We'll see how all of this will develop !
Oct 28, 2017 8:10 PM

Aug 2008
The scene where Chise walked on water was so breathtaking.
Poor cats though
Oct 28, 2017 8:46 PM

Jul 2015
God dang this episode was good, this anime is beautiful, Chise is great... I'm probably not ready for whatever happens next episode.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 28, 2017 9:44 PM

Nov 2007
Those who are wondering about the episodic nature of the anime so far, just go with it for now. The story is still at the world building process. However, the plot has already been set in motion at the same time. Actually, it already kicked off with Chise's meeting with Lindel and Nevin. And soon, you'll realize it!

This is one of my favourite ongoing manga after all! I wonder if they are gonna keep the gore level down because it's TV anime. Let's just hope we are gonna leave it at it with just cats.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 28, 2017 10:04 PM

Jan 2013
Elias hides many secrets and info from her (and us) but he holds my trust. I believe on his wish to marry her and can't imagine he'll stay idle towards the "death" mentioned. Sounds reasonable to delay this topic for when she understands her position better. I also feel this news doesn't affect nor surprise her as she was prepared and wished for death.

My interpretation on her being his "test subject" is just bad phrasing due to perspective. As an apprentice and rarity, he'll surely test her in more ways than he already has to help her grow and have her be capable of protecting herself. A necessity.

The only part I question is, considering his grand strength/ability how is it that as soon as he leaves her side she ends up in trouble or danger? Particularly in this case where he suspected something was off, knew she had been tossed into the water and yet he lets her do this on her own, tsk tsk.

I theorize he is aware she isn't in danger and believes in his ability to intervene if need be, so he uses these moments to test her and have her grow. Explains his ability to be there when needed because I don't think that medallion does all the work.
Oct 28, 2017 10:21 PM

Sep 2016
OneArmedBandit said:
First off... The first cat... im thinking 'adorable'.
Wiser with each life? and hes on his 7th? sounds like a sweet way to represent magical cats.
then before i expect it... more cats...
its like theres a new magical animal each week. @.@

This weeks didnt seem as magical as the ones before it, at least in a "fantastical" way. Still this episode was emotionally heavy and interesting and still adding to the world little by little in a way thats keeping me hooked. And i frickin love cats, so brownie points.
I feel like we got to see Chise mature and grow a little bit, she also looked really cool when she went to cleanse the couple... it was simply a stunning scene, it seems like theres always one really beautiful and memorable scene for each episode so far.
That reveal was exciting while the rest of the episode was kinda oddly slower up until then. Still goes by really fast, these episodes all seem to entrance me and fly by. 9/10
well said and hell yea im waiting for elias to slay the sorcerers then all of a sudden boom find out next week lol nonetheless im loving what they have to offer in the anime so far and true that water cleanse chise was stunning af
Facta Non Verba
Oct 28, 2017 10:31 PM

May 2015
JUNNA!

A village of talking cats...well everything is magical in this world, so that's to be expected.

Man killing cats...maybe because cats are evil! Or because he wants to make a formula that utilizes the Cats' nine lives to save his wife...

One thing I'm not sold on though is Elias telling Chise to just walk over there and cleanse the corruption even though Chise has not had any proper magic training yet. But she is a Sleigh Beggy, so I guess that means she's special from the start.

As for the imminent death of a Sleigh Beggy, well I called that two episodes ago. Now Chise's going to want some answers from Elias...
TarotistNov 14, 2017 6:34 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Jul 26, 2017

375 by yelansh »»
Mar 30, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

266 by NotBonBon »»
Mar 24, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

UrbanJahts - Jul 26, 2017

247 by hales_comet »»
Feb 21, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

189 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jan 12, 9:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.