Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Girls' Last Tour
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 28, 2017 2:04 AM
Oct 2013
rosgenit said:
This one was pretty good, especially that last scene. :D All hail Chii-chan.
But I'm a bit disappointed, cause this is fourth episode already and still no trace of plot. I wonder if it's gonna be some kind of an episodic anime like Mushishi or Kino no Tabi.

It's obvious that this anime is not plot driven anime. This anime is about the adventure of 2 girls in this post apocalypse world, while each episode (at least so far) discussed some philosophical theme in the eyes of both girls. Maybe we will see more about their past in the future episode.
Oct 28, 2017 2:16 AM
Jul 2018
Mealstrom_1 said:
I never cease to be amazed how this show sets out to do the same sort of show, don't tell approach to worldbuilding Made in Abyss did, but does a better job and doesn't rely on shock factor at all.

Made in Abyss has a plot, so the protagonists are busy with it.
Imagine a person taking a shower vs. cleaning it; how much more attention is paid to the surroundings--thus, how much is shown, in the latter?
So we've other characters showing more of the world, to aid in this.

Shock factor is well-present in MiA since there's much struggle in it, unlike in this one.
In this show there had been only small amount of scenes containing shock value--whose two examples I remember now are of when one of the girls pointed the gun at the other over food, and raised the gun at the character guy.
Oct 28, 2017 2:32 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
That curious structure really deserves a photo thats for sure. Interesting that they have a digital camera in this world though. Its nice seeing Yuri learn how to use a camera though. So their main aim now is to reach the glowing building then. It was cute watching them look through the photos of the statues though. A camera with that much capacity is surprising in this world though. This level that they are on sure has a lot of those statues though. I guess even this world believed in gods in the past as well. Seeing how Yuu would behave when she's separated from Chi was interesting as was her comparing it to the afterlife as well. The scene where the temple lit up though was impressive. Yuu's impression of imagining Chi as a god was funny though. Their final argument was just hillarious. Interesting episode though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 28, 2017 2:45 AM

Aug 2016
Galih_Prabasidi said:
while each episode (at least so far)

Yes, exactly. And that's what this show is lacking. Some pieces of information about this world, how it is possible only these two little girls and a few people survived and what even had happened back then? Both Mushishi and Kino no Tabi aren't plot driven anime, but both of them have some background information about the main character and the world. But this anime has neither of them. But yea, maybe we'll see more about their past and this world later.
Oct 28, 2017 2:46 AM
Oct 2017
Fun as the discussion on gods and the afterlife as they relate to comfort, I'm going to echo the sentiment that the camera and its ability to preserve memories is being undercut in importance. More than the other episodes, I think this one really pushed the theme of desire to keep existing, even if only as a memory. After all, with civilization apparently gone and almost no other humans, what is there to preserve the memory of them if something should happen?

But maybe that's just a theme that resonates with me more.
Oct 28, 2017 4:33 AM

Aug 2015
Jonesy974 said:
I'm usually a fan of calm, slice of life shows like this, but honestly I've found it to be a bit boring so far, other than last weeks episode when they actually ran into a person.

I'm a bit on the fence, because I find the world building, and the whole ambiguity of it pretty neat. Like you don't know anything about this civilization, how far into the future it is, since the land masses are metal platforms stacked on each other. You don't know what the culture was like in these places, why the wars between nations started. What the world was like where Chi and Yuu don't know a lot of what we would consider common things: chocolate, cheese, gods, temples, books, reading and writing etc. So much terminology is either completely unknown to them or they only have a vague idea of what it might be.

All of that is kind of neat because you're trying to piece together the imagery in your head as they kind of give you tiny slivers and tidbits about the state of everything. Plus the character interactions are obviously the forefront of the show.

On the other hand, it gets kind of boring, because there's literally nothing going on. Nothing, the world is so post apocalyptic that nothing they do is really exciting. It's just them driving, eating rations, and looking at shit while talking to each other. Originally I had expected the show to be darker since people were talking about how insanely good the manga was and how this was for sure the dark horse of the season...but I mean I just don't see it. Not that it's a bad show by any means, but its just so lacking because of the state of the world being dead that it loses a touch of enjoyment.

I'm still expecting a dark ending though if they decide to conclude the story. Just doesn't seem like the type of series where getting to the top deck of a post a ruined world is going to magically have a happy outcome.

I expect them to find even more nothing should they ever reach the top floor lol. I think the point of the series is to give commentary on society from the eyes of 2 naive girls who don't rly possess our common sense, and with no one to teach them those things.

Oh and to be cute ofc. the art style is clearly intended for that.

Also memes? I mean there was the dabbing in the opening, and now we have statues which appear to be some sort of meme emoji. Disappointment perhaps?
Oct 28, 2017 5:34 AM

Jun 2015
Yuuri is like an innocent puppy that doesn't know any better, you can't really be angry with her.
That was a fantastic episode.
Oct 28, 2017 5:35 AM

Apr 2015
Consistently good.
Oct 28, 2017 6:24 AM

Sep 2011
Why the heck I'm always expecting something bad when the music stops? :(

This show's being bad for my health.
Oct 28, 2017 11:16 AM

Oct 2017
Superb episode. I don't know why but I got a little emotional when Chii messed with Yuu's hair for the photograph. It was so sweet.

Moving on to the date 3230.08.06.13.09. Like someone else said it's in descending order. The Japanese do their dates with the highest number at the front and going down to the smallest number so the date in western terms would be 13.09pm on the 6th of August 3230. Again like mentioned in the manga the date 2820 can just about be made out which corresponds to the date on the camera +410 years.

Basically, humanity has gone through so many cycles of technological advancements and wars only to start again the world now has this multiplatform huge megacities thing going on. It also looks like not all civilisations reached the peaks of the previous one before going to war like in the last episode where the lifts were very old and no one knew how to operate them inside the tower so they built their own on the outside of the tower.
NylemOct 28, 2017 11:30 AM
Oct 28, 2017 11:20 AM

Sep 2014
this is my kind of SoL.

also that camera. 50k+ photos left.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Oct 28, 2017 1:51 PM

Jul 2009
The temple part was really nice.
Oct 28, 2017 5:11 PM

Feb 2013
LOL those statutes.

So it's a digital camera... how do the batteries still have power? (probably the same reason their tankcycle gets infinitymillion MPG)
Oct 28, 2017 6:01 PM

Apr 2013
Haha, these girls are really cute together. The beginning was slow but it all made sense in the end.

Kinda like how Steins;Gate seemed boring or random or slow for the first couple of episodes and then the plot and direction of the story just sucker punches you all of a sudden... the beginning was necessary to get you more involved with the characters, world building, and to establish an atmosphere using the setting and visuals.

The girls questioned life after death and about the gods, all the while looking like they were high.

Oct 28, 2017 7:25 PM
Jun 2017
duderus said:
Haha, these girls are really cute together. The beginning was slow but it all made sense in the end.

Kinda like how Steins;Gate seemed boring or random or slow for the first couple of episodes and then the plot and direction of the story just sucker punches you all of a sudden... the beginning was necessary to get you more involved with the characters, world building, and to establish an atmosphere using the setting and visuals.

Girls' Last Tour's "plot" is however&whatever the viewer or reader walks away feeling /thinking about with that episode.

"while looking like they were high." just wait till ep 5,Chito has a dream sequence.

Oh,what you've seen these past four episodes is what you get from the entire cour or cours.
Oct 28, 2017 9:18 PM
Jul 2018
Why isn't this anime as popular as The Ancient Magus's Bride?
It has a mood and structure I have never seen before in anime, having a dark and lonely setting yet being very optimistic, and a lack of ANY sort of actual plot.
Is it because this anime is not conventional?
Oct 29, 2017 2:12 AM

Oct 2014
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
It has a mood and structure I have never seen before in anime, having a dark and lonely setting yet being very optimistic, and a lack of ANY sort of actual plot.

1. Because it's SOL.
As you know: these days the mainstream viewers "have something" with SOL. Like: they don't like it. Because they say there's no main plot in SOL. (In truth, there is, just usually it's pretty straightforward and simple people don't realize it's the main plot.)

2. Because it's too metaphorical.
If they can't even understand the plot of a SOL series, how do you expect them to understand the heavy uses of metaphore in this anime's each and every line, each and every action of the characters, each and every episodic plot?

3. Because it doesn't receive as much hyping and advertising (and as much budget) as Mahoutsukai no Yome.

This series is too smart to ever go big.
Oct 29, 2017 2:51 AM

Mar 2016
I love this show. The cinematography and quiet moments of plot are always spot on. You can really feel the passion that went into the making of this just by its subtleties. Can't wait for more; even if the story turns less surreal and more generic (there's always that possibility), I don't think we should dismiss it, because these few eps alone are really something unique imo.

5/5
Oct 29, 2017 5:43 AM

Oct 2013
rosgenit said:
But I'm a bit disappointed, cause this is fourth episode already and still no trace of plot. I wonder if it's gonna be some kind of an episodic anime like Mushishi or Kino no Tabi.

Why would it be disappointing? From the start, the description clearly screamed Slice of Life.

I don't even like SoL but this show is great.
Oct 29, 2017 6:17 AM

Aug 2016
dc22 said:
rosgenit said:

Why would it be disappointing? From the start, the description clearly screamed Slice of Life.

I don't even like SoL but this show is great.

I don't like it that much either (even though I like this one). I clarified what I meant in my previous reply. I'm a bit disappointed beacuse there aren't still any pieces of information about the world or characters themselves.
Oct 29, 2017 8:22 AM
Jul 2018
Revvie-chan said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

1. Because it's SOL.
As you know: these days the mainstream viewers "have something" with SOL. Like: they don't like it. Because they say there's no main plot in SOL. (In truth, there is, just usually it's pretty straightforward and simple people don't realize it's the main plot.)

If they can't even understand the plot of a SOL series, how do you expect them to understand the heavy uses of metaphore in this anime's each and every line, each and every action of the characters, each and every episodic plot?

3. Because it doesn't receive as much hyping and advertising (and as much budget) as Mahoutsukai no Yome.

This series is too smart to ever go big.

But there's nothing "metaphorical" about Girls' Last Tour...
Oct 29, 2017 8:28 AM

Dec 2014
well the adventures continue... the end of funny ...damn these girls are so cute
Oct 29, 2017 11:06 AM

Apr 2017
4 episodes in and I'm still unsure of this anime... I enjoy watching the interactions between Chito and Yuuri but plot is paper thin and I need more contect to what is going on. How did these two girls survive the war? Why do they look so different from the other people... (my guess is they are some kind of robots) Need more input.

The whole "what is a god" scene and Yuuri asking if you can eat it and being upset you couldn't was the highlight of this episode for me though. The after credit sceen was cute as well....

Oct 29, 2017 11:11 AM

Jan 2014
So they can use a gun, but they can't use a camera. Actually, I think that's probably true for a lot of people...

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 29, 2017 2:55 PM

Aug 2015
The statues are based off the Egyptian god Medjed, which became a huge meme in Japan in 2012. Even after the apocalypse, memes will still be worshiped by the masses.
Oct 29, 2017 3:36 PM

Oct 2014
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

But there's nothing "metaphorical" about Girls' Last Tour...

erm... then what is right word that will help me get my point across to you? "philosophical"? "analogous"? "iyashikei"? (well, it is iyashikei, but that wasn't the point I was trying to say.)

Me personally, I think I'm going to stand on the word "metaphor." As metaphor, in the translation and understanding of my language, suits the point I was trying to say.
When I say metaphor, I wasn't talking about the basic example of a metaphor in a sentence. But the usage of metaphor as an overall take of the art work & the plot.

back to my point: but how do you expect people to see this deep?
It took me two watches to get all for each episode, and took me another watch of all episode to write this all back. (So yeah, it took around two hours typing this.)
But if the viewers don't see this deep, then what the show has to offer to them is just Minase Inori & Kubo Yurika talking (which is no different then what the radio show for this has to offer.)
Oct 29, 2017 6:09 PM
Jul 2018
@Revvie-chan

Almost none of those things you described were metaphors. A majority of the things you wrote, were just recaps.
Oct 30, 2017 3:38 AM

Oct 2014
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
@Revvie-chan

Almost none of those things you described were metaphors. A majority of the things you wrote, were just recaps.

I recapped it, then I mentioned what those things metaphored!
Please read properly before replying!
Oct 30, 2017 5:38 AM

Sep 2010
I was sure the camera showed 520,014 pictures remaining. O.o?
Oct 30, 2017 6:41 AM
Jul 2018
Revvie-chan said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
@Revvie-chan

Even then, most of the "metaphors" you wrote were based on vague evidence from the text, and more from self-insertion.
Oct 30, 2017 12:44 PM

Jan 2014
Vongalaxy said:
Does that mean that whole blizzard shit in earlier episodes were set in Spring/Summer or was there some large time skip? Does this mean it is still going to get colder? rip

Probably not. I just assumed the world is just cold all year-round as a cause of wars.[/quote]

Winter is caused by the tilt of the planet and I assume they are somewhere in Germany or Japan, both of which are in the Northern Hemisphere so it would makes sense for it to get colder as they would be getting even less solar radiation when they approach December. I am no expert on climate science so please correct me if I am wrong.
Oct 30, 2017 7:49 PM
Apr 2008
Definitely the best episode so far. The thoughts of these clueless girls on religion and the reason it exists were spot-on. The message about how we should cherish those who are close to us instead of creating gods is very humanistic and heart-warming.

I'm so glad I picked up this show while it is still ongoing, otherwise I probably wouldn't due to its abysmal rating (seriously, WTF with this rating?).

To those who are disappointed because of the thin plot and weak worldbuilding, I think you probably shouldn't expect these things in such a show. I haven't read the manga, but the anime feels similar to Kino's Journey (2003), with the focus being put more on how the characters view the world rather than on the world itself and the plot. I mean, the world in Kino's Journey will quickly fall apart if one starts to think seriously about politics and economics of all these city-states with different value systems. And it's fine, because realism of the fictional world is not the point in such shows.
Oct 31, 2017 12:27 AM
Jul 2018
Revvie-chan said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

1. Because it's SOL.

What's difficult to understand, though? All it takes is realization that it's the intention. But it appears that it can't clearly tell, this way... The scenes could be interpreted differently; is it a plus or a minus? Well, it can be considered both.

The scene where Chito says that offending a statue depicting a god can bring divine punishment, but the Yuuri comments that they've already even broke one--then Chito, after some time thinking, says that it's 'just a stone statue'--would have so many meanings.

It could simply mean that people abandon beliefs that become inconvenient to them, when it's convenient for them to. Or:
*It could mean that young people do so--due to them being more undeveloped, thus lacking wisdom.
*It could mean that people do so when their beliefs fail to provide to them; when they lose all faith.
*It could mean that people do so when a belief isn't well-taught to them.
*It could mean that people do so when a belief becomes obsolete.
*It could mean that people do so when a belief isn't factual, but wishful.

But you know that whether people will appreciate this way of storytelling depends on whether it's pleasurable enough to them. So it might not matter how much it's to tell, if the way it's done isn't preferred--as it's one way of doing so [even if very distinct/unique]--meaning people can't be forced.

MiA also uses backgrounds to tell more about the story. But as its plot is being told clearly, it doesn't have to focus much in them.

ThatCynicalOtaku said:
Revvie-chan said:

Even then, most of the "metaphors" you wrote were based on vague evidence from the text, and more from self-insertion.

Apparently the evidence is it being the 'Iyashikei' genre. Meaning that it's to be expected.

Dracus said:
The message about how we should cherish those who are close to us instead of creating gods is very humanistic and heart-warming.

That's the obvious way of interpreting it. But how about: "We cherish more, friends closest to us." [what we consider 'friend' can be either thing or person].
removed-userOct 31, 2017 12:41 AM
Oct 31, 2017 8:43 AM

Oct 2008
Another nice laid back and a bit beautiful episode! (as soon as they got to that weird white room with hanging metal things...)
Feels like a different kind of Easter statues!
4/5.

Oct 31, 2017 2:35 PM

Oct 2014
Rehls said:
Revvie-chan said:

1. Because it's SOL.

What's difficult to understand, though? All it takes is realization that it's the intention. But it appears that it can't clearly tell, this way... The scenes could be interpreted differently; is it a plus or a minus? Well, it can be considered both.

The scene where Chito says that offending a statue depicting a god can bring divine punishment, but the Yuuri comments that they've already even broke one--then Chito, after some time thinking, says that it's 'just a stone statue'--would have so many meanings.

It could simply mean that people abandon beliefs that become inconvenient to them, when it's convenient for them to. Or:
*It could mean that young people do so--due to them being more undeveloped, thus lacking wisdom.
*It could mean that people do so when their beliefs fail to provide to them; when they lose all faith.
*It could mean that people do so when a belief isn't well-taught to them.
*It could mean that people do so when a belief becomes obsolete.
*It could mean that people do so when a belief isn't factual, but wishful.

But you know that whether people will appreciate this way of storytelling depends on whether it's pleasurable enough to them. So it might not matter how much it's to tell, if the way it's done isn't preferred--as it's one way of doing so [even if very distinct/unique]--meaning people can't be forced.

MiA also uses backgrounds to tell more about the story. But as its plot is being told clearly, it doesn't have to focus much in them.

erm... the meaning thing: but there are evidences that help closed out the possibilites.

... and that's my greatest sadness. :(
There's a beautiful thing that people just can't appreciate.
Some, as you say, just don't like how it is told.

but imo, it's stupid comparing this series to MiA when you already put it into "iyashikei" as people define it. (or do you put MiA as iyashikei, as well? I personally don't.)
I know you were trying to underline your statement before but-

ps.: I stopped commenting the other guy bcs it's obvious he wasn't reading before commenting.
if only he read, he would have known I love this series as much as him.
Oct 31, 2017 3:56 PM

Dec 2016
Nice episode , sorry if that already have been said but i don't wanna read every message 1 per 1 , in the MAL synopsis you can just see the two girls , is it to not spoil ? because there were the boy and he isnt shown in the "Characters & Voice Actors" section. thanks !
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Nov 1, 2017 6:25 AM
Jan 2016
This episode pretty much highlights the reason why I feel a mild sense of dread while enjoying the show: for all the lightheartedness, they're in a situation where a single accident or illness can leave one of them completely alone, or if they both die there will be nobody to remember them - and they're vaguely aware of that fact.

Of course, I know nothing will happen to them, but the setting just triggers all sorts of paranoia alarms.
Nov 1, 2017 9:15 AM

Jun 2014
This show can't be this good. Fucking phenomenal, I can't believe how good this is, I'm honestly shocked, I was expecting it to be good, but I wasn't prepared for this level of mastery.

Again, the show does the thing where the characters innocently ask some pretty deep questions that have no clear answer, no matter what, things that I'm sure everyone has asked themselves at some point in their lives. This episode had so many levels, upon levels of metaphoric storytelling, if that makes any sense? And no, this show doesn't try to be very deep or anything, it just asks some fundamental questions all people probably have at some point.

I really loved how when there finally was something to break away from the predominantly gray color pallet, the bright and poppy colors they discovered were artificial and a lie, they were just an illusion and they used the entire thing to parallel what people might think what the afterlife is like, even if it is a lie, an illusion, a beautiful illusion. The moment of silence in the darkness was also genius, I fucking adore this series on every level. I also really enjoyed the part where it was asked, what is a god, and how blunt and honest Yuuri was, saying she doesn't know, I mean, who really knows, to be honest?

The atmosphere of this show really is unlike anything I've come across, everything is incredibly sad, but it kind of gives of a feeling of slight hope and they also mix in the innocence and silliness of our young protagonists trying to live in this literal concrete artificial jungle they're stuck in.
:3
Nov 1, 2017 9:41 AM

Jan 2014
I was expecting for the statues to move their eyes at any moment lol, great episode tho.
Nov 2, 2017 3:07 PM

Feb 2008
I guess someone found a new hobby. Statues of deities (bearing an uncanny resemblance to Chito) surrounding the duo provided ample chances for snapping a few photos. Even though a glance at the screen of the camera posed more questions than answers.

As always, the allegory was up to bar.
Nov 2, 2017 4:36 PM

Jun 2017
How do they know that the bar's flavor is artificial?
I mean, if they don't know what is cheese or chocolate, the bar will not be the original cheese or chocolate?
It's like a difference between a bar cheese flavor and a bar with the flavor of another thing called cheese.

ps: sorry for the bad english.
"The Stairs to Adulthood May Not Always Lead Up" - Gintama.: Porori-hen - episode 1
Nov 3, 2017 9:10 AM
Dec 2012
Great episode.
I liked the girls' take on the concept of a god and etc.

Nov 8, 2017 7:04 PM

Jan 2013
Fairly interesting and mysterious world building.
Nov 11, 2017 10:13 PM

Jan 2013
The soundtrack in this episode was phenomenal.
This anime is unique with great landscapes and soundtrack yet it feels so dark and scary, maybe because they are always lonely. I still regret that guy didn't went with them.
Hope they will find someone else that maybe will join their adventure.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Nov 11, 2017 10:13 PM

Jan 2013
Tarotist said:

Cheese is probably synonymous to dank weed, because I swear these girls get high off of eating them.

Couldn't have said better ahahah They look so high sometimes xD
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Nov 17, 2017 11:33 AM

May 2015

( ͡° ͜ ͡°)

Kami-desu
Nov 18, 2017 10:15 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
"What is cheese?" Funny!!!
Nov 19, 2017 4:13 PM

Dec 2016
Chi and Yuu's dynamic is just so cute and that scene where they took the picture together was even cuter
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 9, 2017 7:51 PM

Oct 2012
Isn't that the cat father's face from Azumanga Daioh? xD

Silly Chi, you're supposed to say "Chi" in front of camera, not "Zu"

Nai.
Nai.
Nai.
Nai.
Nai.
xD

ALL HAIL YUU!
"Signature removed"
Dec 12, 2017 10:01 PM

Dec 2016
Show doesnt beat around the bushes when it comes to touchy subjects i see. Gotta say i like that. I dont really understand why people say its boring. Its obviously slow paced and not for everyone but it executes what it is meant to be very well. Enjoying it more every episode and the soundtrack is gorgeous!
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2017

142 by ReganDesu »»
Apr 12, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2017

158 by ReganDesu »»
Apr 9, 8:43 PM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

vicexxv - Oct 2, 2017

254 by kyuubeesh »»
Apr 7, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2017

234 by davidyodo24 »»
Mar 29, 12:45 AM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2017

124 by davidyodo24 »»
Mar 28, 9:01 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.