Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 24, 2017 10:52 AM
Jul 2018
"All I've been doing so far is yelling"
well at least he knows lol
I liked this episode

4/5
Oct 24, 2017 10:54 AM

Oct 2012
The show is still a bit dull but I got excited when they introduced all the group leaders. Funny how they time-skipped over the majority of the exam where it would have been an entire arc in something like Hunter X Hunter.
Oct 24, 2017 10:54 AM

Nov 2016
Still a bit boring, but Asta sure was cool at the end.
Oct 24, 2017 10:56 AM

Sep 2014

Well done Asta, you've become self-aware. Now do something about it and calm your ass down.
Oct 24, 2017 10:59 AM

Jul 2010
TheEnhancedExe said:
DessaChan said:
I haven't read the manga but saw the credits and they already gave a spoiler about which team the guys are going to join and it kind of gave me the feeling that I could skip the next few episodes lol

It will be revealed next episode either way. It's not that big of a spoiler. Should've already been pretty obvious where they end up though when the squads were introduced.

Yeah but the way it's going (slow paced) I feel like they're going to have fights the next 2 or 3 episodes (I might be wrong) and then join the teams and it's giving me DBZ chills
Oct 24, 2017 11:26 AM
Jun 2016
so is this going to be 13/26/52 or the next one piece for how many episodes?
Oct 24, 2017 11:29 AM

Jan 2017
I thought the episode was nice. I think I'll be able to stick with the series from now on.
Oct 24, 2017 11:53 AM
Mar 2016
DessaChan said:
TheEnhancedExe said:

It will be revealed next episode either way. It's not that big of a spoiler. Should've already been pretty obvious where they end up though when the squads were introduced.

Yeah but the way it's going (slow paced) I feel like they're going to have fights the next 2 or 3 episodes (I might be wrong) and then join the teams and it's giving me DBZ chills

All I can tell you is that the exams took two chapters in the manga. This episode adapted one chapter and added quite a lot of stuff to make the world building better. The exams will definitely be over in the next episode, at least it looks like that from the PV. From what I remember they only show Yuno's fight and that's it (unless they show filler fights). It's not like there's much to show. This was never a tournament to begin with, so everyone ends up fighting only one time. William Vangeance even said so this episode. Plus the participants can chose who to fight and are even saying that which opponent they chose to fight is important to not lose this one fight.

The pacing of the manga is actually really fast. The anime is only taking its time to extend the world building. That's actually fine for me as the manga rushed quite a lot of things. The reason for that is if a manga doesn't show interesting stuff fast, the chances of it getting cancelled are really high. Which is why manga like Boku no Hero Academia and Black Clover are really fast paced for the first 115 chapters (BnHA)/100 chapters (Black Clover).

As both of them aren't in any danger of cancellation anymore, their pacings slowed down quite a lot. If you watch Boku no Hero Academia, you'll notice this either near the end of season 3 or in season 4.

I wouldn't be surprised if the manga continues with this slow pacing and Pierrot adding lots of stuff until the end. This probably means, they're adapting the first 4 arcs (56 chapters I believe), as a character from Arc 4 was already shown in a filler scene this episode.
Oct 24, 2017 11:55 AM

Feb 2016
wolfwing said:
so is this going to be 13/26/52 or the next one piece for how many episodes?

There is leaked information about it being 51 episodes long, not 100% sure
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Oct 24, 2017 11:56 AM

Feb 2016
well this episode was kinda funny and it was better than the previous episodes
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Oct 24, 2017 11:56 AM

Apr 2015
This episode was so good mannnn. ~

Yes, that last scene was epic. Asta showing what he can do. :)
Oct 24, 2017 11:58 AM
Feb 2010
I wonder what kind of pace the show will have after seeing this episode. In most shonen animes the fight at the end with sekke would have probably been half an episode long or even cut into episode 5. The fact that they dealt with it in such a straightforward matter is a really nice touch.
Oct 24, 2017 12:01 PM

Mar 2016
While this episode was better then the others it still was really meh. Hope they will keep Noelle as good as in the manga. Loved here character so fcking much.
Oct 24, 2017 12:38 PM

Jul 2017
that ending brought back my love for this show
Oct 24, 2017 12:59 PM

Sep 2013
General magic exams done fast..
Knight group leaders revealed and asta rekts the show off guy.
Oct 24, 2017 1:28 PM

Sep 2017
As predictable as it was, Asta crushing that guy in one hit hyped me up quite a bit. I was actually disappointed that we have to wait till next week to see the wizard knight leaders (?) reaction to the whole thing.

I will say I thought it was kinda dumb that they used dirty as a way have the check in guy not notice the 5 leaves.
Oct 24, 2017 1:59 PM

Aug 2013
Asta wrecked Sekke. That was good to watch.

Yep, Asta will join the Black Bulls. Definitely his type of group

"Crap! All I've been doing so far is yelling" Pretty much sums up the first three episodes. This episode was actually better.

Oct 24, 2017 2:16 PM

Dec 2016
I mean isn't the five leaf clover as rare, or even rarer than the four leaf, so why did the admissions guy not say anything? Even if he did just dismiss Asta as soon as he saw him? Also silver retard hair seems like a douche, but his little sister seems cool and judging by the opening she's gonna play a major role in the show
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Oct 24, 2017 2:26 PM

Mar 2016
Cljfnenficfenoicndiofn iOS omg this anime is so drawn out.... wtf
I still love seeing it animated... but pick up the pace

Good episode all in all
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2017 2:32 PM

Oct 2017
It was good :)

Asta was expectedly ridiculous during the exams but it's not his fault, it's not because he's bad after all, he has no magic in the end.

But he perfectly did the job in the fight, he's powerful and won't be mocked from now on ^^

I didn't expect these exams to be done so fast!
Oct 24, 2017 2:32 PM
Mar 2015
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, as expected Yuno is the hot attraction when he arrived. Asta looked like a fool and even the birds hate him!

Pretty much another build up episode as they introduced a bunch of new characters. I have to admit, seeing Wililam Vangeance was kinda bizarre. Finally, they also showed some of Noelle Silva. About time. Also, Sekke animated...

Asta looked really pathetic this episode until the end lol

Yeah, that Hit from Asta was SO satisfying for me in the end. Yuno's face made it even better.

Oct 24, 2017 2:47 PM

Jan 2008
Well at least his attack animation didn't look like complete crap.

These character designs remind me too much of Berserk characters.
Oct 24, 2017 2:51 PM

Jul 2013
I really liked this one. Yuno must have thought something like "now the others will think twice before laughing about him again."

About Sekke: He's a douchebag, but not a bad guy. It's cool that he explained who those important mages are to Asta. I can definitively see him (if he is not a 1 episode character) as someone who explains different magic types in the future. Every hero needs someone in his group who explains stuff xD I might be completly wrong about this one though, since I haven't touched the manga yet.
Oct 24, 2017 3:16 PM

Oct 2017
I really think most people will completely forget about Asta's voice over the time, and he'll probably evolve anyway so his yelling is likely to go down somehow.

From now on people are gonna like it :)
Oct 24, 2017 3:31 PM

Dec 2007
Starting to get a bit more interesting now with more characters introduced but Asta is still annoying af with that voice even with my volume set to low.

TheFreycook said:
I mean isn't the five leaf clover as rare, or even rarer than the four leaf, so why did the admissions guy not say anything? Even if he did just dismiss Asta as soon as he saw him?

I thought that too but he did mention that his grimore was dirty so it might have not been very visible.
Oct 24, 2017 4:04 PM
Aug 2016
Now,
The episode was great!
It was exciting, and there were fewer boring screams
Oct 24, 2017 4:09 PM

Nov 2013
I don't understand why people think this anime is going slow 8'D This isn't slow at all? If it went any faster, it'd be super rushed and I'd likely have dropped this on episode two. Even then, episode 2 had me dangling on the edge with that flashback.

I don't really get a lot of hate for this series, as it's nowhere near as bad as other things I've seen. It's generic shounen, sure, but it's also doing a lot of things that many shounen aren't doing or haven't done (like from what is seems, the rival character is a genuine rival character and isn't there to be the angsty edgelord)

o - o / still gonna stick with it.

TheEnhancedExe said:
Which is why manga like Boku no Hero Academia and Black Clover are really fast paced for the first 115 chapters (BnHA)/100 chapters (Black Clover).

I haven't read Black Clover's manga, but I have read BNHA's and it's not fast-paced at all? Or if it is, it's doing a very good job at not seeming fast-paced.
People are saying that the anime here is slow-paced, but if people think -this- is slow, compared to the manga, I really fear how terribly paced the manga must be 8'D
Oct 24, 2017 4:17 PM

Mar 2015
i think lot of people misunderstood something, 5 leave grimore is unheard of for magic knights... not even sorcery emperor know about asta grimore (which will showed later)... that thugs showed in first episode more possibly get information on the black market than when he become magic knights...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 24, 2017 4:25 PM

Oct 2017
Alyxsandre said:
I don't understand why people think this anime is going slow 8'D This isn't slow at all? If it went any faster, it'd be super rushed and I'd likely have dropped this on episode two. Even then, episode 2 had me dangling on the edge with that flashback.

I don't really get a lot of hate for this series, as it's nowhere near as bad as other things I've seen. It's generic shounen, sure, but it's also doing a lot of things that many shounen aren't doing or haven't done (like from what is seems, the rival character is a genuine rival character and isn't there to be the angsty edgelord)

TheEnhancedExe said:
Which is why manga like Boku no Hero Academia and Black Clover are really fast paced for the first 115 chapters (BnHA)/100 chapters (Black Clover).

I haven't read Black Clover's manga, but I have read BNHA's and it's not fast-paced at all? Or if it is, it's doing a very good job at not seeming fast-paced.
People are saying that the anime here is slow-paced, but if people think -this- is slow, compared to the manga, I really fear how terribly paced the manga must be 8'D

I feel the same, I didn't read the manga and for me it's not slow-paced at all, the pace is pretty good imo.
Oct 24, 2017 4:29 PM

Mar 2015
Alyxsandre said:

we currently only adapting 2 chapter of manga... it does that jumping out of place.. like really rushed LN adaptation... there no breaks at all, just stright from one advanture to another, when there is, it is directly setup for next arc... by 50 chapter, it's a year already passed since asta get his grimore... first advanture arc don't even lasted for 6 chapter...

also congratulation...you noticing what one from many of subtle deviation from most shounen lot people don't realize...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 24, 2017 4:39 PM

Jan 2014
I'm a sucker for underestimated Protagonists so that last scene was hype af for me :D
Oct 24, 2017 4:47 PM

Oct 2016
It still progressing pretty slowly, at least they went to introduce the characters. The only thing I can say so far is that the animations for the battle is the best thing.
Oct 24, 2017 5:34 PM

Mar 2012
Episode 4, but I still can't cope with Asta's voice. Now, even the non scream voice irks me. Lmao.
Oct 24, 2017 6:09 PM
Jul 2017
Reiwoods said:
Strange, it's okay that we see Noelle now because it was mentioned in the manga too, but Rebecca Scarlet and her siblings (the girl with the red hair with a baby on her back)? They only appear 3 arcs later in the manga.

Wondering if the reason why Pierrot slowly adapts the chapters because they want to build the world?

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed it. The pace is alright then again I'm use to slow pace since i watch one piece weekly
Oct 24, 2017 7:20 PM
May 2017
As Magical Super Shonen Exams go this one was alright. It showcased Asta's faults which is going to be very important to remember if he keeps one-shotting everything that goes against him. (same for you Yuno, Gary Stu's are only fun for maybe five episodes barring some exceptions)

I still really like Asta and Yuno's relationship. Its no secret that this show is full of cliché's but surprisingly this Rivalry feels refreshing. The most famous rivals are always the bitter ones: Yugi and Kaiba, Ash and Gary, Naruto and Sausuke. These rivalries eventually resolve into the characters admitting their feelings of friendship and respect. Here the characters are already friends who openly respect one another's abilities. I'm not sure if the writer will be willing to change that in the future (I hope he does).

The Black Bulls were kind of a disappointment. When I saw their members and heard of their reputation I immediately thought Edgy Fair Tale. That's not a good sign.
The rest of the captains looked ridiculous and if this is a case where you shouldn't judge a book by its cover I'll be very surprised.

I really loved Bronze creation guy. You knew that he was a jerk, but he was such an obvious jerk in disguise that I nearly took him for a red herring. His plan was also a little illogical (Be nice to the guy who has literally no skill in anything just so you could show off to the Judges that you had the power to take on someone who was no threat at all?), but he was such an enjoyable cliché that I hope he gets development.

Black Clover, I wouldn't call you good, but you are enjoyable and clearly in love with what you are.
Oct 24, 2017 7:29 PM

Oct 2013
Oh god this show is so paper thin, it's trying so hard to follow the shounen tropes but it's barely hanging in there.
Oct 24, 2017 7:48 PM
Unfortunate One

Jul 2016
The best episode so far! I'm really loving this anime now that I've gotten used to the VA.

Oct 24, 2017 7:57 PM

May 2015
Pfffahaha, I was just thinking the other week that this show just needs a princess like character bound by her glided cage to hit cliché bingo.

This show is just

MEHDAA DAAAAAAA!!!!!

Not bad enough to be good either.
Oct 24, 2017 8:17 PM

Dec 2012
Wtf. That's it. Come on. I want more of the actions. Hahaha. What a cliffhanger 😂

- barely alive -
Oct 24, 2017 9:33 PM
Oct 2007
It was quite average until the last 10 seconds or so. I always fall for this sort of stuffs and it was obvious Asta is going to join Black Bull.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2017 10:51 PM

Mar 2016
It's really nice episode, unlike other 2 last episodes, which is full of filler and stuffs. and shorten his yelling length than other episode which is good. Still half filler-half canon this episode.

4/5 Because of the half filler (Not Marco plz, no more memes)
4/5 Greater than other episodes (what I mean is lessen/shorter yelling length, which is kinda annoying if that's longer)
My Profile
Anime
Manga
osu! Profile
No Picture Available for me... lol.
Oct 24, 2017 11:34 PM
Mar 2016
Alyxsandre said:

TheEnhancedExe said:

Compared to other manga it was fast paced. The current arc is nearly double the length of the second longest arc (sports festival arc). Those two arcs are the only arcs with more than 20 chapters. 15-17 chapters is pretty short for an arc. It's not fast paced in the way tbat things are rushed, but rather that the content is cut short. Stain Arc is probably the best example of an arc that would've been longer if the manga was slower paced. If you've read the current arc, it is obvious that the pacing got slower with chapter 115. The current arc is way slower paced and has way more content than the ones before.
Oct 25, 2017 12:52 AM

Jul 2017
Finally a good episode .
And Asta finally realizing that he yell all the time .
And with the studio releasing good news on the anime it finally get back on track.(http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/10/23/black-clover-just-upped-its-animation-game-big-time/)
See haters dont just judge on an anime early on when it like 50 episode left .
Oct 25, 2017 1:44 AM

Aug 2012
I am almost sure Asta will join Yama and the Black Bulls. Of course base on this episode Yama will issue a challenge to Asta in the sense: if you can touch me you are in. beat Asta to a pulp but Asta manages to hit him and gets accepted. A bit cliche but is k. It would be nice to see Yama drag Asta on the ground after accepting him in his squad. If anyone read the manga ahead he can confirm or infirm this. Just put spoiler for those that do not want to know.
Oct 25, 2017 2:02 AM
Aug 2017
Otaku4ever10 said:
i really don't these kind of episodes that full of talk and nothing important and the last minute was only exciting scene
every episode is getting worse than the previous one hope that changes next episdoe

the voice actor for asta is very loud and annoying i can't imagine when gets into a fight lol xD

It's just you being too young and immature to appreciate anything that doesn't scream at you for attention.
Oct 25, 2017 2:23 AM
Nov 2016
This was much better than the previous few episodes, mostly because of the last few scenes, if that attack on Sekke is a taste of things to come then I think the fight scenes will look awesome when animated. Although, most of the good fight scenes aren't till much later in the manga.

I knew Yami would be cool but I never thought he'd be this cool. The animation quality isn't particularly good but at least it hasn't really dropped.
Oct 25, 2017 2:37 AM

Nov 2014
nightcrawlercyp said:
I am almost sure Asta will join Yama and the Black Bulls. Of course base on this episode Yama will issue a challenge to Asta in the sense: if you can touch me you are in. beat Asta to a pulp but Asta manages to hit him and gets accepted. A bit cliche but is k. It would be nice to see Yama drag Asta on the ground after accepting him in his squad. If anyone read the manga ahead he can confirm or infirm this. Just put spoiler for those that do not want to know.

the story goes better than you think. just cuz the beginning seem cliche doesn't mean it's gonna continue being cliche.
Oct 25, 2017 2:58 AM

Oct 2008
I just noticed, from the start of the visuals of the ED, the black 5-leaf clover just looks like 5 pieces of scrotums interconnected together in the center?! lolz!
wow i never expected that Asta would be able to win against his opponent! nice! I thought he has a really hard time materializing his magic?
4/5.

Oct 25, 2017 3:05 AM

Aug 2012
ttcchen said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

the story goes better than you think. just cuz the beginning seem cliche doesn't mean it's gonna continue being cliche.
Should I trust you considering you trolled the spoiler?
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 139 Discussion

KANLen09 - Aug 18, 2020

45 by Vindicater »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 138 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tenshibeat - Aug 11, 2020

57 by Vindicater »»
Today, 5:05 AM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 170 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2021

344 by SoraKogami »»
Yesterday, 7:18 PM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 137 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Aug 4, 2020

59 by Vindicater »»
Yesterday, 5:59 PM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 136 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jul 28, 2020

72 by Vindicater »»
Yesterday, 5:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.