Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 22, 2017 1:10 PM

Jul 2017
This is out of curiosity, what do people want in a character. Like what makes a character your favorite character?
Oct 22, 2017 1:13 PM

Jul 2015
Male : Smart Badass
Female : waifu material
Oct 22, 2017 1:13 PM

Sep 2016
For me, it only takes that said character is insanely fun to watch.
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

Oct 22, 2017 1:15 PM

Jul 2016
White haired or an assassin, oh and if you happen to be both? Welcome to my favourites.
Oct 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Jul 2017
Nafisa said:
White haired or an assassin, oh and if you happen to be both? Welcome to my favourites.

killua from hunter x hunter is both of them
Oct 22, 2017 1:22 PM

Apr 2015
If the character feels like I could easily find such a person irl, I will most likely think it's creator has done a good job. I don't think I have really any kind of taste in my fav characters, expect in character design...
Oct 22, 2017 1:24 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Very good boys that work hard and deserve the world.
Oct 22, 2017 1:27 PM

Sep 2017
tragedydesu said:

^This simple things is what I want.

but all we get is beta cuck mc

Best girl never wins.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 22, 2017 1:28 PM

Oct 2012
In a shounen setting, I look for overpowered lazy MC or weak looking character with op powers.

In a slice of life setting, I look for characters with harsh and deep past.
"Who knows."
Oct 22, 2017 1:32 PM

Mar 2016
Male : overpowered, perverts, smart and/or violent/sadists.
female: Cute, cat like features, strong personalities and/or violent/sadists.
KnotImpOct 22, 2017 1:36 PM
Oct 22, 2017 1:34 PM

Jul 2015
nymi said:
tragedydesu said:

^This simple things is what I want.

but all we get is beta cuck mc

Best girl never wins.

stop reminding me of this cruel reality :'(
Oct 22, 2017 1:37 PM

Jan 2014
I just look for development and something that makes them stand out.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 22, 2017 1:38 PM

Feb 2015
The ability to get into their head. To see the decisions they make and be able to say, "Under those circumstances, I could see myself making that choice as well".

For instance, I'm sure that a lot of people hate Okazaki Tomoya because his relationship with his father feels very one-sidedly aggressive. But as a person who had more or less the same relationship with my father (aside from the
), I could actually understand how he felt. Clannad was actually what got me to change. I bought my dad a birthday present for the first time. Started helping him out in the bike shop and we're on good terms now.

I also love Ishida Shouya from Koe no Katachi. Because I'm gonna say it. I was a bully back in elementary school. There were 2 kids that wanted to play with our group. But we didn't want them to join so we would shove them aside and verbally abuse them until they left. Even now I think they were both really really dumb. But that was no excuse. I should have been more patient and accepting. After I watched this movie, I contacted one of them again and now we actually made plans to go see Koe no Katachi in theatres in a few weeks.

Now, I don't need every character to literally change my life for me to like them. Okabe Rintarou is one of my favourite characters because we are told why he's so eccentric. And thus, I'm at least on the same wavelength as him. I get why he says and does the things that he says and does. That's all I need.
Oct 22, 2017 1:39 PM

Mar 2015
Good looking psychopaths are gucci
Oct 22, 2017 2:28 PM

Apr 2017
if he's well developed, isn't annoying, has flaws and isn't perfect..etc

Than yeah why would i hate characters like these

Oct 22, 2017 3:13 PM

Aug 2016
Action based: Any good willed character that can fight, regardless of his personality.

Normal based:
Male: cool, dependant
Female: cute, funny
Oct 22, 2017 5:36 PM

Sep 2014
Depends on the type of show and if they are a lead or supporting character, In general, i like characters that get alot of character development.
For a male lead id want them to be smart and/or have a unique/mature personality. Having a "underdog that gets better/hidden power" is ok, but it depends on how its used in the story.
For a female character, other than my personal appearance preferences, i've noticed i like characters that are more than they appear. Either a facade, hidden ability, or a interesting personality.

supporting characters should have influence in the story and the characters, and not just thrown in there as comedy relief or as waifu bait.
Oct 22, 2017 5:49 PM
Jul 2018
I usually like intelligent, antagonist type guys like Johan (Monster) or Komaeda (Danganronpa). Also has a thing for glasses and shy guys.

I am part of the group that actually likes tsundere female characters and doesn't find them too annoying (fan of Asuka from NGE and Taiga from Toradora). I also love badass female characters.
Oct 22, 2017 7:19 PM

Oct 2017
Their personality has to resemble with mine or what I want to be. Off the top of my head

Sanji: Because of how he respects women

Kirito: Because I play games most of the time and stay at home mostly but still have friends I care about.

Kamina: Because I want to be a big brother just like him but, evidently, I'm not.
Head_Hunter47Oct 22, 2017 7:27 PM

We can only have good tea
while we're alive.

Oct 22, 2017 7:24 PM

Jul 2013
Nothin in particular, but intelligent/cunning psychos are always interesting to see.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Oct 22, 2017 7:26 PM

Jul 2016
Not being a yandere. Aside from that I like a variety of characters.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 22, 2017 7:26 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
There are things like clinginess that never hurt and consistent patterns to be found across characters I like, but I'm fairly open to different things so it's not like I use a template to where they have to follow a set personality for me to like them or anything.

Oct 22, 2017 7:38 PM

Oct 2017
Humor mainly, the charisma is a good thing to look for too. If it's a boring character then there's nothing to look for lmao
Oct 22, 2017 7:40 PM
Jul 2018
I want them to have an entertaining or memorable personality.

I hardly care if Shirou is a 3 dimensional character when his baseline personality, the, "stereotypical polite Japanese boy" is not that fun to watch.
I'd rather have Joseph Joestar, a character with almost no depth, but with a far more entertaining personality.
Oct 22, 2017 9:05 PM

Oct 2015
I like them as long they are fun to watch. But I guess I love the lovable assholes like Joe Yabuki, Light Yagami, Joseph Joestar, Pappilon, Rohan Kishibe and plenty more. I also love things fabulous.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Oct 23, 2017 11:30 AM

May 2015
I want them to be interesting. I want them to have agency, a worldview, something that will drive them. If they got that, they're interesting. Everything else is spice on top.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 23, 2017 1:55 PM

Feb 2015
tragedydesu said:

I feel like what you mentioned in the latter should be expanded in a way it fits your username and how you act in some series with mentioned of "waifu material"

Something like this

tragedydesu said:
Fuck you japan

my poor adorable wasted waifus :"(

Oct 23, 2017 2:03 PM

Jan 2017
MC: isn't irritating (Gamers), not a crappy voice (Black Clover)
Antagonist: has faults (person-wise), calculating, dapper, insane, manipulating
Side Character: cute, not a s***head, advances the plot, has a personality

Bonus points if: shippable, cute/handsome, ride-or-die friendship with someone, deep and explored personality
Oct 23, 2017 2:04 PM
Jul 2018
i mostly like funny/ridiculous characters..

and actually a lot of my favorites wouldn't be favorites if it wasn't for the english dubbed VAs being so awesome.
Oct 23, 2017 2:16 PM
Oct 2017
Like any movies or so...A character that relates to me. Someone who can make you surprise, laugh and has a good heart in the inside. A character that gets to experience life and share that with the other characters. I like a character who is strong throughout. They can be a little myterious at times and make mistakes... You know? No one can be perfect at all times.

What I don't like is... A character who is annoying and doesn't listen to people...just pure negative and evil.

For physical appearances, that's optional.
Oct 23, 2017 2:17 PM

Jun 2017
I don't look for anything in a character , if I like it or not will depend on the character itself , Griffith for example , is one of my favourite characters , he's the villain of the story but there are a lot of characters who have probably done worse things than Griffith did in other mangas/anime/movies , etc but the way Miura built this character makes it special , at least for me , and how you can emphasize with him, you know , he's the villlain but I can fully understand his actions and I'm pretty sure I'd do the same If I found myself in the same situation ...well , probably :D

Oct 23, 2017 2:25 PM

Jun 2017
As long as they aren’t irritating as hell, I can probably withstand some characters.
what am i doing?

Oct 23, 2017 2:43 PM
Jul 2018
uh it hard to say but i mostly like smart,sort of level headed or like anti hero or villain characters but most of the characters i like sort of stand out to me in some way
Oct 23, 2017 2:44 PM

Apr 2017
If they are well written and have a unique personnality , I don't like cliché characters , it isn't my thing

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Oct 23, 2017 8:33 PM
Jul 2018
Male: badass guy but good in heart
Female: Beautiful
Oct 23, 2017 9:05 PM

Mar 2016
Their death.
JK,i like to see characters grow and experience heavy moments.

Oct 23, 2017 9:13 PM

May 2016
Complexity and realistic psychology are the top priorities for me. Later, if I like it more or less depends on my connexion to the character in question and things we have in common.

There are exceptions, because I love Asuna of SAO and she isn't so complex XD but this is more due to nostalgia I suppose
Oct 23, 2017 9:18 PM
Sep 2016
Male: OP, doesn't know he is OP
Female: Waifu material , Boobs
Oct 23, 2017 9:25 PM

Dec 2015
Someone I can in one way or another relate to or fills the role he plays in an exeptionally good way. That's probably why I don't really have a problem with dense MC's, they do what they're supposed to do and I actually am that dense so I can relate to them in some way or another.
Oct 23, 2017 9:30 PM

May 2014
*Gotta have a weird kink or quirk (like Kira's hand fetish or L's sitting position & sugar cravings)
*Eccentric
*Make me laugh and/or cry
*A little crazy
*Probably a bit of an asshat
*Jerk with a heart of gold
*Anti-hero or morally ambiguous
*Maybe just flat out evil- unfiltered characters can be glorious to watch
*Isn't defined by some tragic backstory even if they do have a sad past
*A pervert (not to a Sanji degree though)
*Lazy or go with the flow types
*And most importantly...a character whose psychology I can theorize about!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2017 9:32 PM

Nov 2014
Depends what character. Obviously I want a badass character to be confident, a SOL character to be relatable and a cute character to be like Tsukiko.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Oct 23, 2017 9:41 PM

Sep 2017
I prefer some traps for male and loli or any moe with tondemonai GAPfor grills.

don't judge wwww
Signature is too good to show. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Oct 23, 2017 9:44 PM

Jul 2012
I like flawed characters. Looking at my faves list, Taichi Mashima, Megumi Noda, Ayumi Yamada all fit that. They're all people who lack something and grow in their respective Anime to become something better. I like realism.
Oct 23, 2017 10:03 PM

Aug 2017
male:
• smart and do something with efficient and effective but secretly kind hearted
• silly but actually kind and wise

female:
• kind, honest, and lovely
• energetic and looks strong but actually has a fragile heart
 Live in life, die in death. Follow your heart, do what you can 
     ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ────┐

└─────── ─ ─ ─    
Oct 24, 2017 5:15 AM

May 2015
holysauron said:
Someone I can in one way or another relate to or fills the role he plays in an exeptionally good way. That's probably why I don't really have a problem with dense MC's, they do what they're supposed to do and I actually am that dense so I can relate to them in some way or another.

Density is bad when it's just a plot device to get things going. When it's an innate trait and is supposed to be interesting on its own, it's good.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 24, 2017 5:44 AM

Jan 2010
Zerity said:
This is out of curiosity, what do people want in a character. Like what makes a character your favorite character?

I'm just gonna quote myself here.........
nordic5king said:
Why do you like your favourite characters so much? Do you look for certain traits that make them your favourite? Or are there other reasons?

1. Posses one or more of these traits:
- Genius/smart/perceptive
- Physically strong
- Extremely good at what she/he does
- Best of the bunch
- Knows what she/he wants
- Talented but also a hard worker
- Determined
- Confident
- Unique/one of a kind
- Cool/calm/collected
- Badass
- Funny/can make me laugh
- Attractive design (in my eyes)
2. Has one or more character flaws, some that I enjoy are the following:
- Tsundere (male only)
- Yandere/psychotic/sadist
- Arrogant
- Anger issues (male only)
- Shy (female only)
- Lazy
- Cold
- Expressionless
3. In depth, well developed character:
- Engaging/unforgettable/sad/interesting back story
- Relevant to story
- Has strong/interesting relationship with one or more of the (other) main cast
- Gradually evolving
4. Bonus points:
- Silver/white/ashy blond/red hair
- Red/golden eyes
- Tattoos
- Muscular/abs
- Voiced by favorite seiyuu
- Has unique/peculiar way of speech

Top 3 Husbandos:
Trafalgar Law
- Smart (is a captain and a doctor)
- Has unique and powerful Devil Fruit
- Passive-aggressive arrogant little shit
- Is laid back and gives 0 fucks about people
- The badass motherfucker who gave Eustass Kid the finger without a care in the world
- Badass
- Has his funny moments
- I think he has a sadist and creepy side to him (might has to do with his power)
- Has one of the saddest backstory
- There is a little tsundere side to him
- Is an ally of Luffy and is a very important character involved in one of the biggest mystery in One Piece
- Has an incredibly attractive design in my eyes
- Tattoos, slender but muscular, abs, sideburns, THEM ROCK HARD ABS
- Voiced by my favorite seiyuu
- Has unique way in calling people by adding -ya at the end of it (it's a polite speech but he said it in a condescending way most of the times)
- In his arc, it was revealed he has one clear goal from the very beginning and has planned the whole thing this whole time, willing to sacrifice everything to achieve it.

Bakugou Katsuki
- Smart, despite of having an attitude and appearance like a delinquent, he is one of the best in class academically. Everyone always underestimate his intelligent. But every attack is carefully thought out and not the type to just blindly blow up his opponent
- Has strong quirk, and strong physical body to back it up
- Is very talented in almost everything, but he also works the hardest than everyone
- Knows what he wants, and is trying his damndest to get it
- Pride is as high as Mt. Everest and has a really bad anger issues. Pretty childish too
- Badass
- Plenty of hilarious moments
- Literally stops at nothing to achieve his goal
- Is an arrogant asshole
- Gives 0 fucks about people
- Has an incredibly attractive design in my eyes
- Spiky ashy blond, piercing red eyes, muscular, abs(?), sideburns, THEM BICEPS, RIPPLING BACK
- Has good fashion sense (his parents are apparently a stylist lol)
- Voiced by favorite seiyuu
- The character who brings out core development for the protagonist and vice versa
- Originally a very shitty character (personality wise) but his character is going through a nice and slow development
- Has peculiar way of speech, the way he says -ya in imperative sentences (not always tho) and some other that's differrent from his peers, and how he calls people by insulting nicknames, except those people who already gained his respect
- Swears a lot
- Looking at his other personality, it's save to assume there might be a tsundere side to him OKAY apparently he is a confirmed tsundere as per canon material

Sakata Gintoki
- Badass
- A very unique character
- Easily one of the funniest character ever
- Lazy and dumb. But can be very wise and can be counted when matters.
- Quite strong, if that title "Shiroyasha" is any indication
- Has yet to know his backstory but it's not pretty so far
- His design is nice enough
- Silver hair, dead red eyes, muscular, abs
- Hilarious, unique and is Gintama's protagonist is enough reason to like him tbh lol
CrimsonMidnightOct 24, 2017 5:48 AM
Oct 24, 2017 1:07 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
female

cute and or sexy with fanservice scenes

mostly attracted to more shameless girls
Oct 24, 2017 5:47 PM

Sep 2007
One that I can self identify myself with.
Oct 24, 2017 8:02 PM

Oct 2012
I like cool strong characters mysterious n badass. But I also like the bright goofy n cute ones as long as it's not annoying.
So I don't really care as long as the characters make me enjoy watching and if they're good looking then that's a bonus wink wink~

More topics from this board

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 3 hours ago

12 by Nirinbo »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 11 hours ago

16 by W3TFT »»
5 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 2 hours ago

15 by AxiaG »»
9 minutes ago

» Which of your Character Favorites (profile) do you think are the least faithful/biggest potential cheaters?

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

4 by Zettaiken »»
9 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 4 hours ago

28 by AxiaG »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.