Forum Settings
Forums
Nov 2, 2019 10:41 AM

Extreme, constant mood whiplash. From dark to lolwtf, all the time, so to speak. Now, I don't mind humorous moments in otherwise dark stories (even Berserk has plenty funny moments), but sometimes it's done in a way that's just grating. Makes me not take the show/story seriously anymore. The worst offenders, by far!, are shounen ai series.

Extremely annoying MCs are also a reason for me to drop a show.

mors certa hora incerta

Nov 2, 2019 10:45 AM
ZonedIn said:
But is 2/25 episodes really enough to write a review about?

Incorrect.
You could technically write a review, but MAL doesn't take it seriously and removes it inmediately.
You have to watch at least 4 episodes of a 13~ episode series, 6 episodes of a 26~ episode series, and 10 episodes of a 52~ episode series.

Nov 2, 2019 10:53 AM

If I start an anime and it end's up being extremely boring and with a banal plot I will most certainly drop it without a second thought.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”

Nov 2, 2019 10:53 AM
If a show starts repeating itself with no nuance from episode 1, I drop (Cautious Hero, Oresuki).
If a show is cliche and doesn't offer anything new, I drop (Ahiru no Sora).
If the things happpening are too convenient and with barely any explanation, I drop (Ascendance of a Bookworm).

The previous shows aren't that bad, but why should I keep watching them, when there is so much more great stuff I could see instead?

Maybe I will watch these shows when my list decreases in PTW and On-Hold below 50.

Nov 2, 2019 10:59 AM

I genuinely want to finish an anime but sometimes, work comes up and I stop watching and lose interest and sometimes forget about it. Then, by the time I I remember it, new anime pop up and I cannot find the time binge it. Other times, I drop it because I lose interest and don't wish to watch them such as Deathnote because the main antag is replaced with less favorable characters or Berserk 2017 because the CGI is not great to watch
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Nov 2, 2019 11:07 AM
I usually give anime 7 episodes before I decide if I want to continue or drop it. I agree that dropping a series after only 2 episodes is dumb. You can't exactly judge a series that early into a series. It's pretty rare that I drop a series because I always prefer to finish them but so far, I have only dropped 6 series. I dropped them because they were either too gory, too boring, or too confusing and one I just could not get into at all. Thankfully, I don't get annoyed by anime characters and I don't see that as a reason to drop a show.
Modified by MoonLite88, Nov 2, 2019 11:11 AM

Nov 2, 2019 11:09 AM

I'm what you might call a completionist, in that I always try to finish what I start. I have plenty of anime on my PTW that I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy (and so far my PTW has always grown faster than I've been able to work it off), so I have little reason to seek out anime that might not be my thing. Once I get into a show, even if it turns out to be boring or not-in-a-good-way ridiculous, I'll generally finish it. If that happened with an anime with 100+ episodes or something like that it's more likely I'd convince myself to drop it but that hasn't happened yet. I've only ever started one anime that I found so utterly unpleasant to watch that I had to drop it, and that was "Teasing Master Takagi-san"; what I watched left such an awful impression that I just wanted to take a hot shower and rinse away the memory.
A møøse once bit my sister...

Nov 2, 2019 11:18 AM
I'm always busy, that makes anime an exception between all the deadlines that I have to meet. I have a limited time and that makes me want to watch a good anime that I can enjoy or that makes me relax (without boring me). So, if after an episode, or even half an episode, I see that it's not my cup of tea I just drop it, without hard feelings. And even if I give it 1 in my list, Mal doesn't count it and I tend to specify how many episodes I watched (usually). Sometimes however I just forget what I was watching, usually because too much time has passed since the last time I watched it. But, anyway, anime are a hobby, you shouldn't feel forced to watch them, it is not a competition and everyone has different tastes. If it's in your personality not to drop an anime and finish it even when you don't like it, it's ok. If it isn't just drop it, you don't need to "suffer" or waste your time for something you don't enjoy

Nov 6, 2019 10:01 PM

ZonedIn said:
At what point do you decide to drop an anime? Do you ever force yourself to finish a series, or do you drop it as soon as 1 thing displeases you?

I'm asking this because i'm genuinely curious, as to what makes you drop an anime after you've only seen 2 episode into a 25 episode series.

The way i see it is at least finish the series (if it isn't THAT long) then rate it a 1 if you wish, but just at least finish it.

At the very least, I always follow the 3 episode rule. After that, I'll still try to watch an episode here or there, even if I'm not particularly fond of it. I think the point at which I decide to drop a series is when I realize that I'm dreading - or otherwise not looking forward to - watching another episode.

I used to force myself to finish everything, but that got to be very hard to keep doing.

Now I'm a sort of pseudo-completionist; I'm more relaxed about dropping anime, but I have a somewhat informal rule that I'll pick it up again eventually and watch it to completion, even if it has to be at a super slow pace.
Minimalist Anime Quiz

Nov 6, 2019 10:16 PM

when an anime becomes boring or starts stagnating i’ll usually stop watching it.

ditf and kiznaiver were shit, but at least they were interesting enough for me to pull through. in contrast shield hero became too generic to be even watchable

Nov 7, 2019 5:13 AM
when the anime is just boring... the number of eps i watch before dropping largely depends on my mood. If it's famous i'll try to finish it(at least the first season if it has multiple) but again my mood will affect whether or not i finish an anime too lol

i used to never drop anime no matter how boring it was, and i honestly don't know how i did it before but eh ok.
have a great day everyone
:)

Nov 7, 2019 7:46 AM

If I didn't like it by episode 5 and I found it dumb/boring I just drop it. I watch for entertainment and if it's not doing it well then it is dropped.

Nov 7, 2019 6:42 PM

If it's boring mostly. There's always better anime to watch

Nov 7, 2019 6:47 PM
I read the synopsis, if it convinces me then I watch at least 3 episodes.

If after that 3 episodes, the plot or characters don't convince me, then I drop it.

Nov 7, 2019 7:58 PM
I usually drop an anime when I don't feel motivated enough to start watching another episode.

If the anime is hooks me, then I'll usually binge it if I can.

Nov 7, 2019 8:03 PM

RealTheAbsurdist said:
-Shit pacing
-Nothing interesting happening
-Bland dialogue
-Bland art
-Obnoxious characters

AGREED.
and ofc, a meaningless story or characters

Nov 8, 2019 2:01 AM

Cross Ange,, Disgusting rape filth!! Dropped!!

Enen no Shouboutai , I dont like hes stupid smile and then the creep looked down in to MY waifus cleavage!! Hell no!! , Dropped!!

Uta∽Kata , Male in the op!! I can feel that one is going to have heterosexuality in it!!,, Dropped!!

Modified by Yuri-Crusader, Nov 9, 2019 10:20 AM
Love is too beautiful to be hidden in a closet!

Nov 8, 2019 2:16 AM

for me : slow pacing, bad animation, too much comedy,
“If I were rain,
That joins sky and earth that otherwise never touch,
Could I join two hearts as well?”
― Tite Kubo

“To forgive or not to forgive.. are those my only choices?”
― Natsuki Takaya

“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

“But even when the moon looks like it's waning.. it's actually never changing shape. Don't ever forget that.”
― Ai Yazawa

“No one can tell what is righteous and what is wrong, what is good and what is evil.”
― Tsugumi Ohba

“In this world, not everything will be won by justice. If you want to win, you have to learn how to cheat.”
― Ai Yazawa

Nov 23, 2019 7:42 PM
I would hate to drop an anime but i would mostly drop it if i can't really handle the pressure of it or something like that like if u ever heard of Dorei-ku the animation it was OK at first but when i was halfway through it i completely dropped it because i just couldn't handle it.

Nov 23, 2019 8:00 PM

I drop an anime when I find it either to disgusting or to boring to justify my continued viewing.

I never drop a show forever, I'll come back to it... some day.

Nov 23, 2019 8:04 PM

Usually because I got bored or I felt the slight reward from completing it was not worth the hassle.

Nov 24, 2019 2:52 AM

I use the "do I care about what I'm watching rn?" test, in which I don't force myself to watch something I've lost interest in, though I may test my patience some depending on mood.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but it's probably going to involve frogs. I freakin' hate those things."
- Albert Einstein

Nov 24, 2019 3:22 AM
Same as everyone i dont drop anime unless they really really suck so far ive dropped only one series out of about 300

Nov 24, 2019 3:34 AM
If I take a long hiatus(more than 6 months) in mid-series and don't wanna re-watch or continue from that point.
If the comedy anime is irritating and infuriating instead of being tad-bit funny.
If I list a series as ptw but the adaptation is just shit.
If a series becomes boring and doesn't get me invested past 50% of the episodes run then I'd prefer saving the time for the stuffs I like
Boruto
Any story similar to Infinity stratos, dense OP protag with harem stuff
Mirai Nikki & Ousama Game

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Nov 24, 2019 4:49 AM

I tend to drop an anime when I put it on-hold because I'm busy.

And when I go back to watch it, I suddenly don't have the urge to continue. But months later, either I feel like I have the mood to watch it again or I won't ever continue watching because I have forgotten all about it and I'm too lazy to start from the beginning.

“𝕴 𝖏𝖚𝖘𝖙 𝖑𝖔𝖓𝖌 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖆 𝖜𝖔𝖗𝖑𝖉 𝖎𝖓 𝖜𝖍𝖎𝖈𝖍 𝖔𝖗𝖉𝖎𝖓𝖆𝖗𝖞 𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖘 𝖆𝖗𝖊 𝖉𝖔𝖓𝖊 𝖎𝖓 𝖆𝖓 𝖔𝖗𝖉𝖎𝖓𝖆𝖗𝖞 𝖜𝖆𝖞.”

--------⚖--------
𝖆𝖓𝖎𝖒𝖊 𝖑𝖎𝖘𝖙
𝖒𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖆 𝖑𝖎𝖘𝖙

Nov 24, 2019 4:57 AM
*sips coffee*

Am I enjoying it? I continue watching. Am I not enjoying it? I drop it.

It's amazingly simple.

Nov 24, 2019 5:02 AM

Dr stone was so bad it made me want to quit anime alltogether. In my opinion, when it feels like you need to put effort to keep watching, you should drop it.

Nov 24, 2019 5:46 AM
If the anime is boring.

If it's around 12 episodes, I might complete it.

Nov 24, 2019 8:29 AM
There were a lot of times where I put animes on-hold due to busy schoolwork, but didn't have the motivation to finish after I had time again either because I would forget what the animes were about or there were other new animes I was interested in. In this case I usually drop those on-hold animes with no hard feelings but there are exceptions in which I rewatched the animes and ended up completing them anyways.

Nov 24, 2019 8:34 AM
I've only dropped 1 anime, Special Unit 7, which only started airing this October. It was genuinely just terrible. Even though I'm currently watching tonnes of other animes, I dreaded having to bare another episode of it. Generally, its just when an anime makes NO SENSE whatsoever, or I hate having to watch it.

Nov 24, 2019 8:48 AM
nymi said:
Tl;dr. Dropping anime is okay as long as you dont talk about it and didnt talk shit about it. Otherwise you are a living walking hypocrite.

Only if the person is talking shit about the series as a whole. If they are criticising just what they watched, that ain't hypocrisy at all.

With regards to the OP, I have found it becoming easier to drop a series the more anime I've watched. I guess I just become more knowledgeable on my own tastes and recognised early when something doesn't fit it.

Boredom is a main reason. Even if I see a some good points in a show, I probably won't complete it if I'm bored of it. Other than that, If there are one or more glaring issues that don't seem like changing in future, I will drop it. I might read up on what happens (don't mind spoilers) to see if it's worth continuing.

Also, I may be mistaken, but I think MAL has some kind of limit where only scores where a certain fraction of the total episodes are watched are taken into account for the average score. So rating a show you have watched 1/2 episodes of shouldn't be a problem. As for reviews, I dunno man. Maybe MAL should remove them, or organize like Play store, with positive and negative reviews seperated.

Nov 24, 2019 1:43 PM

Because there are no likeable characters, not even one. Even if the story is good, I'll still drop it anyway. I just can't watch anime without having 1 character I actually like.

Nov 25, 2019 3:43 PM
I mostly drop anime if I find them so boring that I don't think I could bring myself to finish them. In the cases of Magimoji Rurumo and Great Teacher Onizuka, Kouta Shibaki and Eikichi Onizuka are so pervy that they put me off the whole shows.

Nov 25, 2019 3:54 PM

1. If I completely abandoned the anime completely
2. If it's bored me to death
3. nothing interesting happening.

Nov 25, 2019 3:56 PM

After watching a minimum 3 episodes I decide to drop animes that :

- Have a bad plot
- rubbish characters
- stupid decisions made by characters
- Not punishing/killing people that clearly deserve it
- brain dead MC

Nov 25, 2019 3:58 PM

Cuz it feels like a chore , ofc I will drop something if I'm bored of watching it

Nov 25, 2019 4:03 PM
To provide proper critique on questionable series you will have to watch it completely. To tell a piece of drawn litter apart you do not need to go through dozens of episodes.

One reason for dropping a series - it is a show. Its authors do not consider it a piece of Art and instead make it a mere entertainment - quality not a question. When there is no pretense - all good, we all knew what we were in. When the series gradually slips into a third rate entertainment - aw shiiiiiiiiiiiie you still have to see it through to definitely call it a piece of... I just humiliated myself.

Still though, something which might appear valuable in the beginning - but continuously refuses to elaborate on its initial appearance, is not worthy of being seen through. I am willing to be contested.
Re:formed

Nov 25, 2019 6:43 PM

1. There are things in the show that actively annoy me, and the show has insufficient redeeming qualities. For example, Mana in Conception is very annoying, and the show just isn't good enough to overcome that.

2. There just isn't enough in the show to catch my interest. I get to the end of episodes and can't remember what happened, because I wasn't paying attention. There's just no point in continuing.

3. Whatever I'm using to watch the episodes goes away, and I no longer have access. Bummer.

Nov 25, 2019 6:54 PM
El HERMANO

I'll drop a show if it's not keeping my interest long enough for me to finish. I'll usually delete it from my list altogether. I deleted plenty of shows rather than adding them to my drop list.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Nov 25, 2019 7:00 PM

I rarely dropped anime since I tend to give it a chance or I'm expecting it to change in the later episode. I also focuses on the story so when an anime story line is awful, full of plot holes and dragging then I immediately drop it.

Nov 25, 2019 7:12 PM

Boredom...pure boredom. I don't care how bad or stupid something is as long as it isn't boring. The only exception to this rule is if a character annoys me so much that it keeps me from enjoying the rest of the show. This rarely happens though.

Nov 25, 2019 7:12 PM
ドリフト

i lose interest in it and i don't really care anymore :shrug:

of the days that i have lived… only
those i spent with you seemed
real

· ʚ  ☾  ɞ ·

Nov 25, 2019 10:40 PM

i've had those anime where during each episode, i find it too boring and leave every couple minutes, do something else, and go back to the episode. if that continues and i just don't find myself comfortable with sitting through the anime, i'll just drop it

Nov 27, 2019 7:07 AM

I tried to watch Liz To Aoi Tori,but it was so unbearably boring that i honestly couldn´t even finish it.I normally don´t drop movies since i prefer to at least finish them,but this was an exception.I understand how people can appreciate the little details in this movie such as the sound direction,but it failed to keep my attention.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]