Forum Settings
Forums

How much would you pay to understand Japanese?

New
Oct 20, 2017 6:55 AM

May 2017
How much money would you pay to be able to understand and read Japanese? All without having to take the time to learn it. Such us maybe having a chip implanted in your brain or taking a pill that will let you do this.
The loli is for patting not for fapping
Oct 20, 2017 6:57 AM

Apr 2013
About one thousand dollars. Maybe more. For French or German I'd pay considerably more.
Oct 20, 2017 7:10 AM

Oct 2012
Yeah sure i'd go through brain surgery to speak nihongo I can't see anything wrong with that.
Oct 20, 2017 7:11 AM

Nov 2016
A lot if it included other languages as well
"In this world, evil can arise from the best of intentions. And there is good which can come from evil intentions"
Oct 20, 2017 7:13 AM

Jul 2017
Time is money. It takes around 100 hours for me to become fluent in a language, and in 100 hours I could make a lot. I’d obviously bargain, I don't want to pay full price. So I’d offer $.001 for starters.
Oct 20, 2017 7:17 AM

Mar 2012
0 Yen, I'd rather learn it myself than have something implanted in my brain. Actually learning it currently so I don't mind taking my own sweet time till I can read all the commonly used kanji, I can understand simple conversations fairly well without needing to refer to a dictionary. It's just good enough for me to listen to drama CDs, read raw manga and to play games (VNs) so I'm fine for now.
Oct 20, 2017 7:27 AM

Apr 2017
I do not want to , Im not interested in this language .. I already speak 3 languages very well and this is enough for me .. no need to learn another one.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Oct 20, 2017 8:21 AM
Jul 2018
I’ll pay one Vietnamese Dong to understand Japanese
Oct 20, 2017 9:10 AM

Mar 2012
Valium said:
About one thousand dollars. Maybe more. For French or German I'd pay considerably more.
Same here.

Absolute numbers are basically just a reflection of wealth, so I'll put my profile in relative terms.

French - $10X (due to my work situation, that amount would easily pay for itself)
Spanish - $5X (so I could understand what half of my family is saying, lol)
German - $3X (so I could live/work in Germany or another German-speaking country)
Japanese - $X (so I could read/watch stuff in Japanese and get more out of trips to Japan)
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 20, 2017 9:13 AM

Jan 2014
Zero. I can learn the basics online for free.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 20, 2017 9:17 AM

May 2010
Literally nothing. I'll learn it on my own.
Oct 20, 2017 9:27 AM

Feb 2015
Oct 20, 2017 9:30 AM

Jul 2015
I'd rather just take a class or something.

caught in the wonder
Oct 20, 2017 9:33 AM

Dec 2016
If it could make me understand it perfectly? I'd pay anything up to $1000 probably. Learning Japanese is a very long and tedious process, so I think that amount would be worth the time it would save me. I also might be able to make some of that money back doing translation work or something.

What's the difference?
Oct 20, 2017 9:34 AM

Jul 2016
I already know how to say onii-chan no baka so that's really all I need to go to Japan.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 20, 2017 9:45 AM
Jul 2018
Zero. I can manage learning the language on my own if my time is free and my desire is high for learning
Oct 20, 2017 9:47 AM

Jun 2015
I don't really have an interest in the language.

Oct 20, 2017 10:42 AM

Jul 2016
Gem said:
I'd rather just take a class or something.

isn't that akin to paying money? assuming that you'd go to a professional
teaching facility of course.

grouper - no other

0:00 ●━━━━━━─────── 3:46

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ◁ㅤㅤ❚❚ㅤㅤ▷ㅤㅤㅤㅤ↻

⁞⁞⁞ purple cause baal is my wife  ⁞⁞⁞
Oct 20, 2017 11:01 AM

Jul 2015
lacie said:
isn't that akin to paying money? assuming that you'd go to a professional
teaching facility of course.
yes. it's no fun if i could just instantly learn via a microchip/pill.

caught in the wonder
Oct 20, 2017 11:30 AM

Nov 2014
$1,000 seems like a reasonable price, but I probably wouldn't do it until about $500. I'd learn it like all the other people in here are snidely remarking, but time=money, plus I know from experience that I am absolutely terrible at learning languages. Straight-A student that dropped out of Spanish IV with a 52. ;-;
Oct 20, 2017 7:28 PM

Sep 2014
10k, I'm trying to learn Japanese so I can read Visual Novels and that shit is hard. I don't even know where to start. I don't know if I should learn Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana first or the most effective way of doing about it. I currently have Rosetta stone but since I don't have a good MIC, I have to scream the answers otherwise I'd be stuck at "Boy" or "Girl."
Oct 20, 2017 7:34 PM

Jan 2009
i got no money but if even if i have i will be hesitant although that pill option is tempting
Oct 20, 2017 7:36 PM
Jul 2018
I don't know, 300 bucks or so. I'm on a tight budget these days lol.
Oct 20, 2017 7:47 PM

Feb 2016
A couple hundred bucks, maybe more, although who knows how much it'd actually cost...

I wouldn't particularly want surgery though, especially if problems could come up with that chip down the line. (Or if there's some secret tracking and what not hidden in.)

The pill seems weird but that would work, lol. Long as it's been properly tested and all that.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Oct 20, 2017 8:12 PM

Nov 2013
With my level of motivation do to long term things, it would take quite a while.
To save years of my time learning fluency, I'd put out a couple hundred. Maybe a thousand if I can.

I can see you

Oct 20, 2017 8:47 PM

Nov 2014
i'd like 8.50/hr for the 5 and a half years i spent studying it

edit: i misread that question but my sentiment remains the same
usagivalleyOct 20, 2017 8:53 PM
Oct 20, 2017 9:00 PM

Mar 2017
I'd say $500. If it did cost that much to learn a language though I would probably learn Spanish, German, Swedish, Finnish, Dutch, Vietnamese, Korean, and French in addition. I could do so much stuff
Oct 20, 2017 9:01 PM
Jul 2018
that depends
how much is your hypothetical minimum offer
Oct 20, 2017 9:14 PM

Nov 2009
Elegade said:
10k, I'm trying to learn Japanese so I can read Visual Novels and that shit is hard. I don't even know where to start. I don't know if I should learn Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana first or the most effective way of doing about it. I currently have Rosetta stone but since I don't have a good MIC, I have to scream the answers otherwise I'd be stuck at "Boy" or "Girl."

I actually just do the lessons without the speaking lessons. I'm not sure if you can make the change to leave those ones out later, but there should be an option when you begin going through the courses. I already know my pronunciation is good, and I either repeat after the voice recording every time it speaks, or I turn off the audio and read the sentence out loud myself (turning audio on only when I have trouble reading something). I recommend this method so you can learn speaking and reading simultaneously.

As for writing, first learn hiragana, then katakana, and then kanji. There are so many kanji that you'll be learning them for a while.

I also would pay at least $10'000, no more than $20'000 if there is a payment plan (especially if it contains Mandarin and Korean as well). If I can save the time learning a new language, it would open up a lot of doors.
Oct 20, 2017 9:26 PM

Feb 2010
wait are you handing out cybernetic translation chips shit sign me up.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 20, 2017 9:27 PM

Aug 2015
i'd pay a couple thousand. actually learning a language is too much effort.
Oct 20, 2017 9:28 PM

Sep 2014
IntoOpenWaters said:
Elegade said:

I actually just do the lessons without the speaking lessons. I'm not sure if you can make the change to leave those ones out later, but there should be an option when you begin going through the courses. I already know my pronunciation is good, and I either repeat after the voice recording every time it speaks, or I turn off the audio and read the sentence out loud myself (turning audio on only when I have trouble reading something). I recommend this method so you can learn speaking and reading simultaneously.

As for writing, first learn hiragana, then katakana, and then kanji. There are so many kanji that you'll be learning them for a while.

I also would pay at least $10'000, no more than $20'000 if there is a payment plan (especially if it contains Mandarin and Korean as well). If I can save the time learning a new language, it would open up a lot of doors.

I think I could leave out the speaking, but the problem is that the Speaking has information regarding later courses, so If I skip it, I wouldn't know what to do on the next lesson. Like for example, the first lesson is about "boy" and "girl" they give you the lettering for it, but the whole objective is learning how to pronounce it. In the next lesson you have to pick the right lettering for boy and/or girl. So skipping lessons is a bad idea.

Oct 20, 2017 9:37 PM

Nov 2009
Elegade said:
IntoOpenWaters said:

I think I could leave out the speaking, but the problem is that the Speaking has information regarding later courses, so If I skip it, I wouldn't know what to do on the next lesson. Like for example, the first lesson is about "boy" and "girl" they give you the lettering for it, but the whole objective is learning how to pronounce it. In the next lesson you have to pick the right lettering for boy and/or girl. So skipping lessons is a bad idea.

Really? I don't recall it having additional information. I believe it only skips the portions where you must speak into the microphone and doesn't omit anything that does not require the microphone, but it's been so long since I did the speaking lessons that I could definitely be wrong. Since I am able to pronounce the words and am primarily focused on learning the reading and vocabulary, this hasn't caused any issues for me, but I can totally understand if your pronunciation isn't up to snuff and need the program to verify it for you.

Either way, good luck with your studies! :D
Oct 20, 2017 9:39 PM

Jul 2017
I think it'd be fun to not understand any language for a while. Can I pay for that.
Oct 20, 2017 9:39 PM

Sep 2014
IntoOpenWaters said:
Elegade said:

Really? I don't recall it having additional information. I believe it only skips the portions where you must speak into the microphone and doesn't omit anything that does not require the microphone, but it's been so long since I did the speaking lessons that I could definitely be wrong. Since I am able to pronounce the words and am primarily focused on learning the reading and vocabulary, this hasn't caused any issues for me, but I can totally understand if your pronunciation isn't up to snuff and need the program to verify it for you.

Either way, good luck with your studies! :D

Wait, does that mean you used Rosetta Stone to study Japanese? Senpai!! How was it? How effective was it, scale from 1 to 10? And how long did it take you?
Oct 21, 2017 8:20 AM

Jan 2010
ANY AMOUNT. I'll work my ass until I can afford it
Oct 21, 2017 8:25 AM

Apr 2012
Elegade said:
Rosetta Stone is terrible tbh, it has been criticised for years, get yourself the free software Anki, and get a shared vocab deck like core 2000, way better.

And yes you should learn the hiragana, katakana first (takes about two weeks).
More info here:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=460685
Oct 21, 2017 9:14 AM

Sep 2017
Nope. No willpower to learn. The old me would do it though.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 21, 2017 9:55 AM
May 2015
I don't really think it is needed unless you are seeking a more authentic experience when watching shows or reading manga etc. It's pretty easy to find everything in English now tbh
Oct 21, 2017 2:21 PM

Sep 2014
EratiK said:
Elegade said:
Rosetta Stone is terrible tbh, it has been criticised for years, get yourself the free software Anki, and get a shared vocab deck like core 2000, way better.

And yes you should learn the hiragana, katakana first (takes about two weeks).
More info here:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=460685

I'm always open for suggestions, but In my experience with Rosetta Stone, I think it's decent. I had the Spanish version when I was a freshman in high school, and it was at least good enough for me to be able to write a 2 page basic essay in high school. I also did buy the Japanese Rosetta stone off Ebay for $30 so I didn't really lose any money off it. I'll probably just finish Rosetta Stone first, then jump over to Anki and core 2000. Thanks~
Oct 22, 2017 8:38 AM

Sep 2016
I would rather go through the experience of learning the language than just have it implanted in my brain
Oct 22, 2017 5:01 PM

Apr 2016
1 dollar cause that shit ain't worth my money

one flower that continues to struggle for
blossom is more beautiful than a gem

Oct 22, 2017 5:39 PM

Apr 2015
Shicchi said:
Why not just work your ass off trying to learn it normally?
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Oct 22, 2017 11:19 PM

Jan 2010
Cookies said:
Shicchi said:
Why not just work your ass off trying to learn it normally?

I did that already XD
I just thought having a chip implanted are more practical, easier, and awesome in the end lol
Oct 23, 2017 12:04 AM

Mar 2017
I'd eat ASS if it were to make me fluent in Japanese! I just want to watch my hentai without needing subtitles! Different languages are the worst invention by humans
Oct 23, 2017 6:06 PM
Jul 2016
If you think learning Japanese is no where free then you are not even aware of what the world offers

More topics from this board

» What's the best way to translate Yu-Yu-Hakusho's title

AlphaMaleScotty - Apr 22

9 by AlphaMaleScotty »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » school uniform or no school uniform which is better? ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 21

97 by Ex-Aid »»
3 hours ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

669 by Hitagi__Furude »»
4 hours ago

» What do you think about online friendship?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 21

41 by ShimmyShimmur »»
5 hours ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

14 by R-unknown »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.