Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 3 Discussion

Oct 28, 2017 6:12 AM
Himawari9 said:
Tenderizer17 said:
My main issue, is that it is in itself an existential commentary to have the characters as the only people in the world. I honestly thought this show was going in that direction and it would have been amazing if it did. A large part of how people value themselves is by their influence on others, and it'd be incredibly interesting if we could observe what would happen if that was restricted to two people in irrefutable isolation.

I think you misunderstood because of the synopsis. This is a post-apocalypse world and there would be other humans beside Yuuri and Chito. It is just the world is too vast and the human's population is pretty small so it is rare for them to meet other people. But the girls will definitely meet others on their journey though.
I'm well aware that I misunderstood the synopsis, but that's not relevant. The fact of the matter is; I was more interested in the interpretation of the synopsis which I discerned, than I was for the actual turn of events. For the first two episodes I was loving this show, but when I found out I made a mistake I came to like it a lot less.

Still is astronomically better than the shit which scored just below this on the seasonal ranking though. I don't even know why I gave that one a chance.

Oct 28, 2017 6:52 AM
Tenderizer17 said:
Himawari9 said:

I think you misunderstood because of the synopsis. This is a post-apocalypse world and there would be other humans beside Yuuri and Chito. It is just the world is too vast and the human's population is pretty small so it is rare for them to meet other people. But the girls will definitely meet others on their journey though.
I'm well aware that I misunderstood the synopsis, but that's not relevant. The fact of the matter is; I was more interested in the interpretation of the synopsis which I discerned, than I was for the actual turn of events. For the first two episodes I was loving this show, but when I found out I made a mistake I came to like it a lot less.

Still is astronomically better than the shit which scored just below this on the seasonal ranking though. I don't even know why I gave that one a chance.

K. I like this anime but the concept you said is pretty interesting too. I wonder if there is any anime or manga similar to that.

Oct 28, 2017 6:59 AM
Himawari9 said:
Tenderizer17 said:

K. I like this anime but the concept you said is pretty interesting too. I wonder if there is any anime or manga similar to that.
Not that I know of, because a standard slice of life anime is defined by mundane life with a constant influx of new characters (Which is something that frequently bothers me), and so I assume, most manga artists aren't equipped to write an extended narrative with a tightly restricted cast.

EDIT: After some quick perusing of the internet, I found Planetarian might be ... something. No idea what it is, but might be what I described. I bought the visual novel a while ago without reading the synopsis, so I'll play that at some point and see whether it's what I was looking for from Girls' Last Tour
Modified by Tenderizer17, Oct 28, 2017 7:07 AM

Oct 28, 2017 10:14 AM

both girls found a other man....is strange in a world when is hard find a other person, life in solitary is a little r--!!!
Well, one point about the world, when they spoke about the world, said that world was constructed by other humans, and after lifes other or similiar explained!!!

Hello, my litte boy!

Oct 29, 2017 7:26 PM

A really good episode. Better than the first two. This was surprisingly insightful and shockingly beautiful.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

recommend me anything!

Nov 1, 2017 8:37 AM

Not gonna lie, this made me tear up by the end. This show is absolutely phenomenal, it's exceeding every expectation I had about it. It's such a sad series, but it also mixes in - I don't want to say moments of joy or happiness, but it mixes in the feelings of life itself, the feeling of just moving on, no matter what. Felt bad for the map dude, I hope he manages to make all his maps again.

This setting is and background of the world is just tragic, since it seems like the world recovered once from an already post apocalyptic world and the history just repeated itself, so sad.

The atmosphere that the 2 girls create riding their vehicle around these gray, endless concrete filled landscapes creates something I've truly never seen before, you can only get something like this from Japan. This show evokes a feeling I've never really felt before. I love how the characters also constantly ask themselves simple yet complicated questions that don't have straight answers.

Shaping up to be one of my favorites of the year. You just don't get series like this one, post apocalyptic contemplative series. Bless whoever thought it was a good idea to give this amazing manga an anime, thank you, also thanks to the people in charge of the show, they're doing an amazing job.
:3

Nov 2, 2017 8:17 PM

Interesting architecture. Surprising another character was introduced only to leave again.

Nov 9, 2017 11:19 AM
Why'd they let him leave? How else are they gonna repopulate the earth?

Nov 19, 2017 11:03 AM

I didn't think they were gonna find another human so early but hey as long as he didn't do anything evil, which he didn't, then hey who cares!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy

Dec 2, 2017 2:47 PM

Not bad episode, actually it striked me how one place in the distance is enough to keep you going... But Yuuri is a real psycho with that gun, like she was pointing on his head almost all the time and probably doesn't even have self-preservation instinct.

Nice atmosphere on the upper level though. Wonder if they meet more people in the upcoming episodes.

Dec 4, 2017 5:19 AM
Between the book burning in the previous episode and dropping the maps, watching them lose priceless knowledge in a post apocalyptic world has been surprisingly stressful lol.

And I wonder what happened to the people who built all these insanely huge structures, since according to the new guy, they were long gone when these people first arrived and started living in their city. Also, I hope they didn't turn the entire planet into one giant city, because by the looks of it, they were very much capable of doing it. If not, then maybe Chito and Yuu can get out of the city and start "living off the land" in the wilderness (if there's still any left), because that way they would have a much better chance at long term survival. Those military rations and canned foods aren't going to stay edible for long.

Dec 8, 2017 5:23 AM

Poor Kanazawa.. well as long he's alive he can make it from scratch again

I'm glad this is a SOL anime.. Imagine it's like Metro 2033 or Fallout, they're 100% going to shoot at each other.. just because xD

I hope we'll meet Kanazawa again, he can just join with Chii and Yuu
"Signature removed"

Dec 15, 2017 1:45 PM

They should've made kids with this guy.

Dec 18, 2017 10:15 AM

"Hey, Yuu. Why do people live?" Chito had a good point, considering the situation they're in. I wonder if she's ever contemplated suicide considering how bleak things are/her apparent traumatic memories of the war we saw in her flashback in the first episode, and how much more serious/in trouble with reality she is compared to Yuuri.

So somebody else is alive...an older gentleman who also seemed to think he was the last person alive. Just how many survivors are there?

"Favor?" Jesus, Yuuri, put the gun down. If there's one thing this war should have proven, it's that violence doesn't solve anything.

"Working up a sweat for the first time in a while really makes you feel alive..." Knowing Yuuri, I'd think it'd just make her hungry.

"Be careful. She burns other people's books." Not intentionally, at least!

I do wonder if there could be more survivors on a higher level then where Chito and Yuuri are. It's also possible that they got wiped out with everything else though - perhaps even easier than the lower levels, since being higher makes them an easy first target.

Not gonna lie, I was fully expecting Kanazawa to kill himself at one point without the map, especially since he'd said earlier that he couldn't live without it. It's almost like he was saved from suicide by that fruit-flavored bar Yuuri gave him.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"

Dec 26, 2017 5:18 PM

Damn, that sure is a shame that he lost all his maps :/ good episode though! Let's see what's next.

Dec 30, 2017 1:54 AM

I actually liked this episode.
I think this is good for watching to put oneself in a calm mood before sleep, and it's not as boring as Non Non Byori or Flying Witch

Dec 31, 2017 12:55 PM

it was better if they keep together. Maybe.

Jan 4, 2018 12:14 PM

RIP maps, nice job lad.

Jan 23, 2018 8:56 AM

Wow! There is life in that world, what a surprise! The joy of the opening stride with the atmosphere that is experienced in the episodes and with the greyness of situational contexts, to give a hand to it we also think the two protagonists who with their sympathy less weigh the anxiety aspect derived from the places that they cross the two girls. The existential questions seem to be the daily bread of this anime series, the soundtrack is catchy. What a fear I had when the elevator stopped abruptly.

Jan 23, 2018 9:30 PM
Wow that opening question. The very core of this anime. Not wasting time.

I am skeptical about having more characters but it was handled extremely well, and left at the end.

Why are we here? The guest was here to make maps, but what happens when we lose our "purpose?"

This anime touches on all of existentialism, nihilism, and absurdism.

Tenderizer17 said:

Also, the show would lend itself to a greater existential commentary if it was just Chito and Yuri. Having this guy show up completely detracts from what could have been a full application of the setting.

I really wish they kept the cast down to Chito and Yuri. And I mean REALLY wish.

Agreed. It's pretty disappointing though at least they had a clear purpose and handled it well for what it's worth.
Modified by ac_bd, Jan 23, 2018 9:39 PM

Mar 1, 2018 8:15 PM

Oh poor Kanazawa!

I really am enjoying the sense of mystery here.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.

Mar 2, 2018 10:46 PM
君を笑いに来た

I'm not sure why I was surprised at a new character, it makes sense for there to be at least one other person in a span of 12 episodes.

Kanazawa's cool. I felt bad for him when he lost his maps. It's kind of sad to see him go, but he'll probably be back later on.

Also, the thing about those ancient houses being built & a new civilisation living in them is really familiar. Did I learn it in history class, or is there a movie with a similar setting?

Mar 31, 2018 11:17 PM

Oh my god that was extremely fucking cruel. Dude just wanted to make his maps, it was all he had. ;_;

I'm glad he could still muster up the will to live. It's very pleasant to see such a nice guy in a world like that.
Modified by mintkat, Mar 31, 2018 11:21 PM

May 6, 2018 4:17 PM

I love the feeling of vastness from these landscape shots. It's beautiful!

The new guy is okay. He reminds me of Hal Emmerich for some reason.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]