Forum Settings
Forums

What defines someone as being a fan of anime?

New
Oct 18, 2017 2:25 AM

Mar 2014
I was curious to listen to everyone's opinions on defining someone as a fan of anime. Every year or so, there's always that "one" anime that gets popular, so popular that people that don't really watch anime know of it. I'm talking about anime like Tokyo Ghoul, One Punch Man, and My Hero Academia. Let's say someone were to watch one of these, or maybe strictly just watches these popular shows that occur every now and again. Can you refer to that person as an anime fan? Or is an anime fan someone that watches anime on a regular basis?
Oct 18, 2017 2:32 AM

Dec 2014
If they like anime (yes, any anime) they can call themselves a fan of anime.

Not that it matters at all. At the end of the day they'll call themselves whatever they want to.
Oct 18, 2017 2:36 AM

Mar 2015
people who prefer anime as main source of entertainment medium...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 18, 2017 2:37 AM

Oct 2014
As long as you've seen a lot, watches daily and can have a discussion with topics related to anime then that's it. your not an anime fan just because you've seen the popular shows like dragon ball, naruto etc.
Oct 18, 2017 2:40 AM

Mar 2014
xRhai said:
As long as you've seen a lot, watches daily and can have a discussion with topics related to anime then that's it. your not an anime fan just because you've seen the popular shows like dragon ball, naruto etc.

This kinda reflects my own personal viewpoint on the matter.
Oct 18, 2017 2:40 AM

Sep 2014
Well fan is defined as having a strong interest or admiration of a topic. That type of person can say they like anime, sure, but being a fan is different.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Oct 18, 2017 2:45 AM

Mar 2008
If anime were to be summarised in a single word, that word would be life.
For in anime is captured the very essence and meaning of all human existence.
Because anime exists, humanity is extant. Only through animation do we truly live.
Without anime, there is no meaning. Without meaning, there is nothing but anime.

Some may question still, these absolutes, but know that we can answer their doubts with but a few simple truths:
1. Anime is great.
2. Anime is almighty.
3. Anime before all else.
4. All is anime.
5. Anime is anime.
6. Anime everlasting.
7. In Anime, salvation.
8. Love & Anime.

These eight principles will shed light on any thought; defeat any septic, and deny any heretic.

So when one asks, "what is an anime fan", we need only defer to the sacred ways:
Anime is all; all are anime. Thus we are loved, therefore we are beloved; as such, we are forever saved.

If there is anime, it is loved. Those that love are fans. Given such blessings, it becomes evident those that are, are anime. So that in this world, we are all loved. We are all anime fans. And in this anime, there is only everything.

So blessed are we, the children of Anime!
Oct 18, 2017 2:55 AM

Sep 2016
As long as they like anime(even if they like just the popular ones) then they can be called a fan. As long as they think that anime is a source of entertainment
Oct 18, 2017 2:56 AM
Dec 2013
Someone who spends copious amounts of their free time on watching anime, and spends copious amounts of their money on anime and merchandise.
Oct 18, 2017 2:57 AM
Jul 2017
W-w-when they masturbate to l-lolies hehehehe.
Oct 18, 2017 2:58 AM
Jul 2018
who cares?
fucking elitism is about as banal as a bag of buttholes.
Oct 18, 2017 3:01 AM

Aug 2015
someone who enjoys watching anime. it doesnt matter how much or what they've watched. if they've only seen naruto and they call themselves an anime fan, thats cool with me.
Oct 18, 2017 3:03 AM

Feb 2016
don't like to point a finger and say who's a fan and who's not, but it's basically people who're interested in anime as a whole; like doing research on people who works on the industry and watching influential titles - even if it's out of one's confort zone - just to known more about japanese animation............ that stuff

there're fans who'll just keep watching seasonals and thigns that look new but that's more of the 'anime as entertainment' guy.

@jarring what the elitist thing has to do with this topic? lol
Oct 18, 2017 3:09 AM
Jul 2018
iscum said:
don't like to point a finger and say who's a fan and who's not, but it's basically people who're interested in anime as a whole; like doing research on people who works on the industry and watching influential titles - even if it's out of one's confort zone - just to known more about japanese animation............ that stuff

there're fans who'll just keep watching seasonals and thigns that look new but that's more of the 'anime as entertainment' guy.

Saying someone isn't a true fan of anime unless they yadayada *insert pejorative* = elitism
Oct 18, 2017 3:15 AM

Dec 2007
If it interests you enough to keep on watching and being invested in it, and you enjoy it not as a casual experience of a few shows for a very short time.
Oct 18, 2017 3:17 AM

Jun 2015
You are one so long as you claim to be. Easy as that.
Oct 18, 2017 3:30 AM

Nov 2016
A person who only watches popular, mainstream anime are casual fans and the ones who watch it on a regular basis and less popular ones are weeaboos.
Oct 18, 2017 3:33 AM
Jul 2018
Pixel_Vapour said:
A person who only watches popular, mainstream anime are casual fans and the ones who watch it on a regular basis and less popular ones are weeaboos.

fu i'm no weeb. I'm more of a dweeb tbh
Oct 18, 2017 3:34 AM
Jul 2018
Someone who've watched more than a few anime, who enjoys and love them and continues to watch them, either slowly or fast.
Oct 18, 2017 4:04 AM

Apr 2016
iscum said:

I think that describes me more or less.
Oct 18, 2017 4:07 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
somebody is a fan of anime if they like anime and actively watch it

Oct 18, 2017 4:07 AM

Mar 2016
If he wants and it's not just for fun. For me, a fan is a person who like something and know about it.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
I'm the creator of mal-badges, go chek the club!

Oct 18, 2017 4:32 AM
Jul 2018
iscum said:

Most people don't seem to know that "fan" is a short for "fanatic". And for being a "fanatic", you indeed need to invest a lot, be it times, money or energy in the said thing.

And yup, a fan is usually rather knowledgeable, or if they're not, they are in the process to become so.
Oct 18, 2017 4:36 AM

Sep 2017
Those who takes it seriously and is enthusiastic about it. I dont consider myself a fan since I just watch them for entertainment.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 18, 2017 4:37 AM
Jul 2018
lady_freyja said:
iscum said:

Most people don't seem to know that "fan" is a short for "fanatic". And for being a "fanatic", you indeed need to invest a lot, be it times, money or energy in the said thing.

And yup, a fan is usually rather knowledgeable, or if they're not, they are in the process to become so.

So what would you call all the people that love a handful of anime, and don't invest a lot of money or energy into it? plebs right
Oct 18, 2017 4:40 AM

Jul 2015
iscum said:

It's his boogeyman, I never saw him post something that wasn't "elitism"-related, no matter the subject at hand. I guess he wakes up at night, dreaming of mean elitists.
Oct 18, 2017 4:42 AM
womp womp

Nov 2012
I think someone who simply watches anime isn't an anime fan, quite simply that -- "someone who watches anime."

I think it depends on how much anime you are watching and have watched, how much you know in regards to making anime, be it the studios, directors, composers, authors, etc, and perhaps how opinionated you are about it. It depends on a lot of others things as well probably, I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Then it depends on what you define that, fan, enthusiast, hardcore, weaboo, otaku, pleb, newbie and casual amongst other titles.

So, decide what you want to be called. I decide to call myself an enthusiast.
Oct 18, 2017 4:42 AM
Jul 2018
jarring said:
So what would you call all the people that love a handful of anime, and don't invest a lot of money or energy into it? plebs right

An anime watcher…?

Say, I define myself as a "manga reader".
Being fan of a whole medium sounds rather… hard to be, I'd say. At the best, I could be a "shōjo fan", because that's where I invest a lot of my time and energy.

EDIT: or "enthusiast" is good too. There isn't that "extreme" connotation like in fan/fanatic in that word, as far as I know.
Oct 18, 2017 4:44 AM
Jul 2018
Clebardman said:
iscum said:

It's his boogeyman, I never saw him post something that wasn't "elitism"-related, no matter the subject at hand. I guess he wakes up at night, dreaming of mean elitists.

it's true. Pride be damned. Hell, I dream of the ultimate cockfight. It's Hell. I'm in fucking cockfighting hell.
Oct 18, 2017 4:47 AM

Sep 2017
If you like to watch anime then you instantly love it. That's what it makes a fan. Doesn't matter if you watch many animes as long as you put your heart into it.
Oct 18, 2017 4:52 AM
Jul 2018
lady_freyja said:
jarring said:

An anime watcher…?

Being fan of a whole medium sounds rather… hard to be, I'd say. At the best, I could be a "shōjo fan", because that's where I invest a lot of my time and energy.

EDIT: or "enthusiast" is good too. There isn't that "extreme" connotation like in fan/fanatic in that word, as far as I know.

lol apples and oranges. you can keep your extremist definition if you want, but that won't blind me to the millions that you chose to ignore here. Trust me, I've met my fair share of people that according to your definition wouldn't be considered fans act like absolute lunatics towards a particular product.
Oct 18, 2017 5:04 AM

Feb 2016
jarring said:
lady_freyja said:

An anime watcher…?

lol apples and oranges. you can keep your extremist definition if you want, but that won't blind me to the millions that you chose to ignore here. Trust me, I've met my fair share of people that according to your definition wouldn't be considered fans act like absolute lunatics towards a particular product.

Oh yeah, i've seen so much of these cringe profiles whom call themselves "weeaboo" and "crazy for anime" when they've completed a short hand of titles and barely watch anything out of their confort light novel adaptation zone. I'm sorry if i think that calling yourself a "fan" is rather disrepectful to someone who really use their free time to learn about the industry and such.

That goes for me to. There're a bunch of things that were important to japanese animation and i don't feel like trying any soon, like Gundam or Dragon Ball.
Oct 18, 2017 5:12 AM
Jul 2018
iscum said:
jarring said:

Oh yeah, i've seen so much of these cringe profiles whom call themselves "weeaboo" and "crazy for anime" when they've completed a short hand of titles and barely watch anything out of their confort light novel adaptation zone. I'm sorry if i think that calling yourself a "fan" is rather disrepectful to someone who really use their free time to learn about the industry and such.

That goes for me to. There're a bunch of things that were important to japanese animation and i don't feel like trying any soon, like Gundam or Dragon Ball.

meh, no that's fine, you can have it. lol. i just don't think "fan" or "fanatic" means anything outside of the definition. fan is essentially just having a strong enthusiasm towards something, and fanatic is the term being used negatively.
Oct 18, 2017 5:24 AM

Aug 2013
Someone who takes, or can see themselves taking enjoyment from experiencing a certain thing, I believe.

I've listened to one track from an artist before and was like "well I'm a fan". Sometimes you can just tell.

When we dip into "true fans" and knowledge base; that's when you start needing to use more nuanced terms that don't really matter.
Oct 18, 2017 5:45 AM

Apr 2015
If they watch anime, and take any effort into understanding the workings behind the creation of anime, I consider them a 'fan' of anime.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Oct 18, 2017 1:40 PM

May 2015
If you put hours into watching and discussing anime, if you consider that hobby important enough then I guess you're fun. How else can you describe yourself?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 18, 2017 1:53 PM

Feb 2015
In someway, I'm thinking of "what defines a man that makes a man a man" but I think we're gonna end up in Hell after that...

I think you know this OP, since Google exist for something you don't know; heck it can even help you search how many ways human can die, it can even help you search what defines someone as being a fan of anime.

Oct 18, 2017 1:55 PM

Feb 2013
If you are watching anime almost every day and you've been doing it for a couple of years you are an anime fan.
Oct 18, 2017 1:59 PM

Apr 2017
Why do people make dumb questions??
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2017 2:00 PM

Jul 2015
!!!!if!!!! !!!!you!!!! !!!!like!!!! !!!!watching!!!! !!!!anime!!!! !!!!then!!!! !!!!you!!!! !!!!are!!!! !!!!an!!!! !!!!anime!!!! !!!!fan!!!!

caught in the wonder
Oct 18, 2017 2:09 PM
Jul 2018
nose1234 said:
Why do people make dumb questions??

Why not whip the teacher when the pupil misbehaves?
Oct 18, 2017 2:14 PM

Feb 2015
You're considered a fan of something when you support and love it... So you can be a fan of anime even though you've only seen like 10 anime... Because you are a fan of those specific 10... You are still a fan of anime in general...
Oct 18, 2017 2:25 PM

Apr 2017
Kuma said:
people who prefer anime as main source of entertainment medium...

"And don't take it too seriously"

I just wanted to complete your sentence with this.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Oct 18, 2017 2:51 PM
Aug 2016
If you don't have at least 100 figurines, you're not an anime fan.
Oct 18, 2017 2:59 PM
Jul 2018
Aslt said:
If you don't have at least 100 figurines, you're not an anime fan.

k.. i probably do have a hundred figures in storage, but none of it is anime related or even came from Japan cept for maybe a couple ones from videogames.

I've been watching anime for about 20 years, but I am not a fan. I absolutely love it and watch it practically every day, but I am not a fan. I've probably spent over a thousand dollars on it in the 90s alone, but I'm not a fan.
Oct 18, 2017 3:04 PM

Oct 2016
People are an anime fan when they consider themselves a fan of anime. I don't really feel like putting a 'fan' label on someone while they might not even enjoy it to that extent.
Oct 18, 2017 3:09 PM
Jul 2018
Nyah_Chan said:
You're considered a fan of something when you support and love it... So you can be a fan of anime even though you've only seen like 10 anime... Because you are a fan of those specific 10... You are still a fan of anime in general...

this question reminded me.. my best friend really likes a select few anime, but does not like anime in general.

cool thing is, that when I watch anime, I'll know if he'll like it or not. It's not necessarily about anime or the fact it came from Japan.
Oct 18, 2017 4:25 PM

Apr 2012
An anime fan is a person who calls themselves an anime fan. Simple as that.
Oct 18, 2017 4:50 PM

Oct 2015
If someone says they like the medium thereafter call themselves an anime fan, I'm down with that.

Also if you are a harem lover, I'll be your friend.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Oct 18, 2017 8:49 PM
Jul 2018
Most idiots think watching only the big 3 makes them a fan of anime

THEY ARE JERKS

More topics from this board

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

8 by BlueBullet178 »»
22 seconds ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

32 by Rinrinka »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 6 hours ago

30 by Lhundrup »»
7 minutes ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

92 by Ochimusha »»
15 minutes ago

» please help me find this anime

supertitao - 50 minutes ago

1 by Catalano »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.