Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 16, 2017 1:56 AM

Jul 2015
Whenever I try to look-up some info about the characters, I found out, that all of theme have "he" pronoun.

Is it a mistake, or are they just all traps?

Oct 16, 2017 2:17 AM
Oct 2017
The gems don't have a gender. They're rock people that are carved into a refined form by Adamant-sensei. Since Adamant is by all pretenses a man who understands what a man is, and there's no other people around, their language is masculine. That doesn't necessarily mean they're male, just that they base themselves on a male-only context.
Oct 16, 2017 2:19 AM
Oct 2017
They don't have any genitals at all! but they do identify male or call each other male for the most part, I believe in that mostly because of sensei's influence. (and some of the gems use neutral pronouns too) but otherwise, it's mostly he/him that's used.
Honestly it would be best to use they/them or he/him as ultimately they're not beings with genitals but again it's been stated for the nth time that they use he/him most of the time in japanese.

And personal opinion but i am incredibly happy for more masc -nb presentation, being one myself. (besides if anyone wants female - nbs there is always steven universe aha.)
Oct 16, 2017 2:30 PM
May 2017
Yeah, they should just put "it". For now, I'm just gonna decide what I would prefer their gender to be.
Nov 1, 2017 5:02 PM

Feb 2015
With ep 4 we get to know more about the King who pretty much looks like a woman and thinks of gems as girls and only sensei is a man in their eyes so it's pretty confusing and then we get girly gems like Dia who are even voiced by female VA but use "boku" so it's probably better to just use "they" especially since we got some nude scene which also confirmed that they're pretty much wearing clothes only for fashion.
"It" sounds a little bit harsh, they're not objects after all - they can feel, think and even have existential crisis.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Nov 1, 2017 8:21 PM

Oct 2016
paperdarkfish said:
The gems don't have a gender. They're rock people that are carved into a refined form by Adamant-sensei. Since Adamant is by all pretenses a man who understands what a man is, and there's no other people around, their language is masculine. That doesn't necessarily mean they're male, just that they base themselves on a male-only context.

There is no confirmation that the gems use Masculine pronouns because of Kongou-sensei. Even if that's the likely case it's not wise to state it as if it's fact. Also, from what I recall, Kongou-Sensei doesn't have a confirmed Gender either. A male voice actor and looking more masculine than the other characters so far isn't enough to say he's a man either. Gender in the show is never brought up nor is it in the Manga.
Nov 1, 2017 8:25 PM

Oct 2016
Hakaminah said:
With ep 4 we get to know more about the King who pretty much looks like a woman and thinks of gems as girls and only sensei is a man in their eyes so it's pretty confusing and then we get girly gems like Dia who are even voiced by female VA but use "boku" so it's probably better to just use "they" especially since we got some nude scene which also confirmed that they're pretty much wearing clothes only for fashion.
"It" sounds a little bit harsh, they're not objects after all - they can feel, think and even have existential crisis.

It's better to use " He/Him " pronouns because it is the pronouns the characters use for themselves in the original work. Whether they see themselves as male, female, genderless etc. ( It's ambiguous. not confirmed ) they have set pronouns in Canon. As I had explained to someone before, the masculine pronouns were clearly deliberate on the Mangaka's part. The characters refer to each other as " Brother " at times, use masculine pronouns " Ore/Boku " and refer to other gems as " Kare " which means " He/Him. " If the Mangaka wanted to go for a sense of neutrality in the gems speech, they could have made all the characters use " Watashi " or something along those lines but she did not. While you are free to use " They/Them ", the characters pronouns are " He/Him ".

also it's canon that the clothes are for fashion. The Red Beryl gem designs and makes clothes for them to wear.
MikazukiRanbuNov 1, 2017 8:32 PM
Nov 1, 2017 8:27 PM
Jul 2018
I'm pretty sure they have no actual gender, so it's like genderless.
Nov 1, 2017 8:30 PM

Oct 2016
Piromysl said:
Whenever I try to look-up some info about the characters, I found out, that all of theme have "he" pronoun.

They're not traps because they don't have sexes. A trap would imply that one sex is trying to trick another sex into thinking they're what they're not ( The opposite sex of what they are ). The gender identity of the gems is ambigious, or simply has never been brought up in the show at all because gender isn't important in the world they live in, but they use he/him pronouns. That's all. It's clearly deliberate on the Mangaka's part due to the gems not only using masculine pronouns but referring to other gems with masculine pronouns and calling each other " Brother ". It's probably to lend to the idea that they're more androgynous than anything else. They're just genderless rocks that use male pronouns. Since gender isn't an important topic in the show, it probably is best to not think too hard about it.
MikazukiRanbuNov 1, 2017 8:36 PM
Nov 2, 2017 9:33 AM
Oct 2017
MikazukiRanbu said:
There is no confirmation that the gems use Masculine pronouns because of Kongou-sensei. Even if that's the likely case it's not wise to state it as if it's fact. Also, from what I recall, Kongou-Sensei doesn't have a confirmed Gender either. A male voice actor and looking more masculine than the other characters so far isn't enough to say he's a man either. Gender in the show is never brought up nor is it in the Manga.

Adamant...is the one...who taught them language and culture...? When I say he's the reason, I mean it's because they're blank slates until Adamant directly educates them. It's shown later in canon that the first thing he does after a gem pops out is carve them and take them to class. The first words you're going to teach someone is how to differentiate and identify between 'self' and 'others'.

But hmmm...I assumed Adamantine was a man because he's the only one in the series explicitly called a "man"
. But that's mostly superficial, and it was wrong-minded of me to take that for granted. (...Even though I doubt the author thought at hard about it.)
Nov 4, 2017 2:20 AM
Aug 2017
Hakaminah said:

I thought that Ventri always thought of the gems as boys though. not girls. not men. just boys, young children actually. which for me it makes sense.

though i dont mind other people's view on them. I'm just glad no ones chewing the other down
Nov 4, 2017 6:51 AM

Feb 2015
SajouHikaru said:
I thought that Ventri always thought of the gems as boys though. not girls. not men. just boys, young children actually. which for me it makes sense.

though i dont mind other people's view on them. I'm just glad no ones chewing the other down

She's using anoko in anime so it can be hard to say whatever she means child or girl but it's the way she talks that makes it sounds like she think of them as girls to me

in manga it's pretty clear

anyway, putting translation problems aside - she's talking about types she likes in ep4, I really doubt she could talk about gems like that if she thought they were merely children... unless Admirabilis are actually into children.

Nov 4, 2017 7:03 AM
Aug 2017
Hakaminah said:
SajouHikaru said:

She's using anoko in anime so it can be hard to say whatever she means child or girl but it's the way she talks that makes it sounds like she think of them as girls to me

in manga it's pretty clear

anyway, putting translation problems aside - she's talking about types she likes in ep4, I really doubt she could talk about gems like that if she thought they were merely children... unless Admirabilis are actually into children.

lmao I almost always took it as "child" and as a compliment they were adorable in general. and not in THAT way omg sorry about that.
but then when i think about it imagine if Ventri meant she was into them as food source lmao.

and the translations I read there had read "Guy" and not "Girl" which either way i dont mind. my preference is seeing them as masc presenting bc i am in dire need of that rep. i dont mind other people's prefs really.

oh yea most of my JP friends see them as male identifying though (save for beryl which they all see as female IDing)
bc esp that one of them said its really prevalent that they use more masc pronouns.

tho honestly i think thats the fun and freedom the canon nb gems give. call em whatever you want tbh. they/he/her/other unstated pronouns...
i think they're loveable either way and the story is great.

Dec 1, 2017 1:37 AM

Apr 2012
This title looks like Shounen Ai disguised as Shoujo Ai. Or vice versa ... Well, you understand. Especially a couple with Dia and Bort that look like a classic yuri couple.
Jan 6, 2018 6:06 PM

Feb 2015
Piromysl said:

They're all genderless since they're gems and not biological people.
Most of them refer to each other with gender neutral pronouns, but a few characters do use he or she.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Jan 6, 2018 6:22 PM

May 2015
I don't think it really matters. Call them whatever you want. I think they're girls because they look and sound like girls. If someone gets anal over the gender of 2D characters, they have problems.

Jan 7, 2018 1:43 AM

Feb 2015
@SigmaticDoc

Don't spread misinformation , please.

Most of them use masculine pronoun "boku" or "ore"; "watashi" is a gender neutral pronoun that can be used by both genders and so far only few (some say 3) gems use it (Jade and Rutile being 2 of them).
In anime atleast, there is no gem that uses feminine pronoun.

Jan 7, 2018 1:49 AM

Apr 2016
They are all just a bunch of traps.

Traps are another "thing" in Nippon, so.
Jan 7, 2018 2:07 AM

Oct 2016
Swagernator said:
They are all just a bunch of traps.

Traps are another "thing" in Nippon, so.

A trap is explicitly a guy that looks like a girl, so it doesn't apply here where the gems themselves have no sex organs to begin with
Jan 7, 2018 6:05 AM

Feb 2015
Hakaminah said:
@SigmaticDoc

Don't spread misinformation , please.

Most of them use masculine pronoun "boku" or "ore"; "watashi" is a gender neutral pronoun that can be used by both genders and so far only few (some say 3) gems use it (Jade and Rutile being 2 of them).
In anime atleast, there is no gem that uses feminine pronoun.

Yeah, my mistake, it's the bad fan translation I watched I guess. I just checked and in the Japanese script they never use a feminine pronoun.

The gems are shown to not even know what gender is.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Jan 7, 2018 6:49 AM

Feb 2017
You can ask for them to be corrected since some characters are supposed to be women, just don't get triggered over it.
Jan 7, 2018 6:54 AM

Feb 2015
Magnif-Steiner said:
You can ask for them to be corrected since some characters are supposed to be women, just don't get triggered over it.

They're not.

Author in interview said that she created gems with a upper part of male and lower part of female. They're not supposed to be anything else than gems brought to live thanks to microorganism, and in case you don't know it, all mal's edits about characters will be corrected by mods to have they / their pronouns since they're canonically genderless and it's the most correct way of naming the gems.

edit: in the same interview the autor said that when creating Dia she thought of whatever is cute and not whatever is girly.

Apr 15, 2018 9:26 AM
Sep 2009
Also, of course, these gems are aliens, so would not actually be speaking English or Japanese. (: I'm sure their language -- and the connotations of its words -- would have evolved differently than English or Japanese, subject to Sensei's cultural background. Frex, while "it" is correct as a genderless pronoun in English, it has connotations of being a non-human, or something lesser than human. Certainly, we have genderless pronouns such as s/he, but these are more technical derivation than cultural. Much like it's sometimes hard to translate the connotations of a Japanese word to English (often resulting in difficulties in translating pun and wordplay humor!), I'd like to think that the Japanese and English the characters are speaking are just the best -- but not adequate -- translations of their actual language.

I'm pretty sure the gems are girls. You can tell by their shorty short shorts. :D
Apr 15, 2018 9:32 AM

Feb 2015
ced1106 said:
Also, of course, these gems are aliens, so would not actually be speaking English or Japanese. (: I'm sure their language -- and the connotations of its words -- would have evolved differently than English or Japanese, subject to Sensei's cultural background. Frex, while "it" is correct as a genderless pronoun in English, it has connotations of being a non-human, or something lesser than human. Certainly, we have genderless pronouns such as s/he, but these are more technical derivation than cultural. Much like it's sometimes hard to translate the connotations of a Japanese word to English (often resulting in difficulties in translating pun and wordplay humor!), I'd like to think that the Japanese and English the characters are speaking are just the best -- but not adequate -- translations of their actual language.

There are anime that don't take place in Japan like Ikoku Meiro no Croisée that happen to be in France, yet characters are using Japanese so that the Japanese audience can understand everything without the need of subs.

ced1106 said:
I'm pretty sure the gems are girls. You can tell by their shorty short shorts. :D

I hope that this one was sarcasm -_-

Aug 3, 2019 9:28 AM

May 2015
Yeah this had me sooo confused when I started reading the manga where at the beginning in the first few volumes they are calling each other "her" and "sisters" then later on they start using "brothers" which is really confusing.

Personally I'd like for them to all be girls particularly Phos and Cinnabar. But that's probably just my love for Shoujo Ai speaking and the fact I generally like female characters way more than male ones.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 16, 2019 2:17 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Hakaminah said:
Magnif-Steiner said:

They're not.

Author in interview said that she created gems with a upper part of male and lower part of female. They're not supposed to be anything else than gems brought to live thanks to microorganism, and in case you don't know it, all mal's edits about characters will be corrected by mods to have they / their pronouns since they're canonically genderless and it's the most correct way of naming the gems.

edit: in the same interview the autor said that when creating Dia she thought of whatever is cute and not whatever is girly.

Sorry but I refuse to look at something like Diamond and think of it genderless, it is a she for me, she looks female from top of that cute face to the bottom of those slender legs, also her hips look all BUT manly.
Whatever the intent of the mangaka was, characters like Dia and Phos resamble way females to me, so I will be adressing them as "she".

Bunsuke said:
they're rocks, friend

Foolish retort, my friend, dont you know there are people that since primal times would even fuck rocks?
Werent you told the story about a lil kid that didnt know a thing, saw a hole in a rock and tried to stick his little bajanga inside to see what it did?
Some would say that we was bitten by a snake in his D, but regardless of the fact.
xD
Aug 19, 2019 2:14 AM

Jul 2013
Just finished ep 2, and all of the ones I've seen besides Sensei look like girls / women to me, and I'm watching the dub so they're voiced by women afaik. I haven't heard any character call each other "she" or "he", and if they said "they" for one person, I probably misunderstood them.

They have no boobs, and tight little shorty-shorts. However, there's nothing in those shorty-shorts to have sex with, and are so they are genderless. But going by the faces / voices in the anime, they look like women to me (so far).

Unless specifically told otherwise, I'm going to call them girls. They're sparkly fighting rocks.

EDIT: Looked at some of the manga. In it, the gems look more androgynous, and since you're not listening to a woman read their lines, it's a lot easier to see them as something other than female.
towelgirl21Aug 19, 2019 2:24 AM
Aug 29, 2019 6:55 PM

Jul 2008
They all have female VAs and their hips shape dont lie, they're female.
Feb 5, 2020 10:33 PM

Feb 2017
Ero-Camel said:
They all have female VAs and their hips shape dont lie, they're female.

There are metric shitloads of young male characters with female VAs. You could use the same logic to claim Goku or Luffy are female. While I did not open this thread to argue about the genders of the gems because that is a stupid and pointless discussion that will never end, I have to say your point is moot.
young_kappaFeb 5, 2020 10:37 PM
Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill.
Feb 9, 2020 3:50 AM

Oct 2019
Who cares, doesn't really matter.
Feb 16, 2020 11:26 PM
Feb 2020
The reason why they use masculine terms is because in Japanese it is not complicated to use a neutral but in English they found it very difficult so they decided to make it masculine (says in the manga: v)
May 12, 2020 11:34 AM

Nov 2019
They may be voiced by female seiyuu, but then are also many male shounen heroes. So that doesn't determine them to be females...

Its canon that they are genderless. They avoid gender-specific pronouns when addressing each other.

Some of you say they all look like females. I mean if you mean extremely fit female gymnasts, I won't complain. I think the author was more comfortable in drawing feminine figures which are actually closer to being gender neutral.

Don't give their hips as an excuse. That particular design probably helps them to have a lower center of gravity and better balance.

Except for Dia, not all of them actually even feel like girls or exhibit 'feminine traits'. Bort, Alex, Shinsha, Antarc are some obvious examples.

Actually referring them as he/she/it/they doesn't matter. It is just misleading when they are referred to as guys/girls. Then again, there is nothing to complain unless you shove down concepts of shoujo ai, yuri, and gal action in people's throats.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
May 12, 2020 8:19 PM

May 2019
Laplace_kun said:

Except for Dia, not all of them actually even feel like girls or exhibit 'feminine traits'. Bort, Alex, Shinsha, Antarc are some obvious examples.

Also most of the duo teams are made with gems who act more feminine x a bit more male, like Dia x Bort, Yellow x Zircon, Benito x that asian alike gem lol.
Oct 21, 2020 12:36 PM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
I've looked long and hard into it and all of the gems are male except for Diamond and Morganite, which is shocking to me but that's the way the creator describes it so that's the way it shall be.
Oct 21, 2020 12:38 PM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
To me they're all female because of their appearance + seiyuu but I do acknowledge they're all referred to as he (kare), their respective mal pages call them in plural though.
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Feb 22, 2021 8:43 AM
May 2020
All of them seems to have no gender at all, it's quite obvious ig.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

314 by AllSeeingAnime »»
Mar 9, 8:50 PM

» Not at 500,000 viewers after 6 years :(

ghier - Dec 2, 2023

29 by APolygons2 »»
Feb 11, 12:24 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2017

147 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:29 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

98 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 2, 2023 8:27 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2017

108 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 2, 2023 7:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.