Forum Settings
Forums

How is your life currently going compared to how it was when you joined?

New
Oct 15, 2017 1:35 AM

Apr 2013
Hey MAL, it's been a while since I've last posted on here so I feel like asking a question:

Compare the time you joined MAL (for me, April 2013) and how your life currently is. For many of us I feel like that should be a sizable time gap. Here are a few questions:

1. How is your life now versus how it was when you first joined? Feel free to describe.
2. What is the most significant thing that happened between your join date and current date?

My response:
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Oct 15, 2017 1:43 AM

Oct 2016
I joined October last year and that was the peak of me watching anime since I only just got into it. Nowadays I watch it way less, but that's also because I have different interests I try to keep up with. Beside that, I'm in university now... last year was my senior year, so I was able to slack off a bit.
Oct 15, 2017 2:11 AM

Feb 2015
I'm actually not gonna even think of the scenario when a MAL user's life suddenly changed for the better when he joined and shitposted here.
Oct 15, 2017 2:13 AM

Apr 2016
My life changed for the better when i joined here.
Oct 15, 2017 2:19 AM

Jan 2009
the year i joined MAL i was a volunteer and got a contract work in the public library here and back in 2011 and early 2012 i have a job for more than a year in a private office doing EDP work but now im NEET for years and i do not know if i can work again since my physical health is now bad too
Oct 15, 2017 2:30 AM
Jul 2018
This is my 1st,2nd,3rd,4th... account I've made.

I guess it got better, or just that it didn't turn out any worse than it was.
Oct 15, 2017 2:45 AM

Sep 2017
I joined MAL in May 2010 but made a forum account just recently. Well what can I say? I was middle school that time. So young and naive. Lol
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 15, 2017 2:50 AM

Mar 2008
Things were shit and so lonely then a few years later nicer for a while but now they are worst of my life.
Oct 15, 2017 2:54 AM

Jun 2015
More time right now. Basically just that.
Oct 15, 2017 4:23 AM

Apr 2013
1. summer 2013..
i was naive & super straight laced. very idealistic & believed in everyone and everything they said. took school seriously, only saw the two or three friend i did have on the occasional weekend & came home straight after school.
fall 2017..
moved out, made a lot of friends. began to really take care of appearance. partying a lot, drugs/alcohol and all that. grades are still above average & i got accepted to go on exchange to japan at my preferred school. dating around here and there. smartened up socially & became a realist. dreams are half dead & my doctor wants to put me on anti-depressants tho. l m a o

i stopped limiting myself & began living how i want to live.
my body/emotions just aren't really cooperating. but if i can manage my anxiety & depression better, i imagine i'd be really happy. i'm already p proud of who i became.
sutoriOct 15, 2017 4:31 AM
Oct 15, 2017 4:36 AM

Mar 2014
Quite the interesting topic you have going here.

I'm sad to say my life has only gone on a downhill spiral since the beginning days of this website. In the beginning, I ran a pretty successful club here and met some of the greatest online friends I could possibly ever have. As what happens to all clubs here, it eventually died out after a year or two. I am still in contact with a few of the members however, so I have that going for me.

As for IRL friends, they all stopped watching anime and coming on here all together, and I eventually lost contact with everyone after we graduated high school, I was kinda left out of things :/

My life only got way worst after personal stuff happened, and now here I am stuck in college 6 hours away from home, having one of the worst times of my life.
Oct 15, 2017 5:46 AM

Nov 2014
I actually joined MAL right after a major exam, so kinda just graduated and have lots of free time. I believe it'd be just graduating middle school and before going to high school for those who call it differently.

My life then was pretty carefree, it was the school holidays after all. Right now? Between Junior College (high school) and University, which in my country for guys would mean National Service. Kinda sucks, but I've gotta deal with it. I do shift work though, which on the plus side means a crap ton of free time, but on the other hand.... RIP sleep, weekends and public holidays.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Oct 15, 2017 7:56 AM
Aug 2016
Literally, nothing has changed :^)
Oct 15, 2017 8:20 AM

Jun 2015
Used to be a player and used to cheat.

Now I'm slightly older and don't really care about having a gf that much.

Also I was more cocky than I am now.
I like the way I was back then, more cocky and a player. Now I'm more o an "meh don't really care" type of person.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Oct 15, 2017 8:28 AM

Aug 2007
My life has gone downhill since I joined this site in 2007. When I was 17(when I joined the site), at least I had one friend, where I usually enjoyed spending time at his house with his family, because mine made me feel lonely and distant. Things were a little more stable in my life at least, minus my struggles with depression and school. I was enjoying my time more online, I liked the people that I talked to online.

I enjoyed anime more since I was still newer to it and discovering things like Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku, the latter especially when I watched it during a difficult period in my life.

Now I work a job that is soul-crushing on and off, I have to worry about moving out and being an actual adult for the first time in my life in a few more years and figuring out how I'm even going to pay rent. I'm almost 30 and I haven't done much of anything with my life while people I knew from middle and HS have graduated college, got married/in a serious relationship, bought a house, own a nice car etc.

I haven't enjoyed my hobbies as much as I used to outside of gaming, I've grown distant and at times disgusted and/or disappointed with the online anime/gaming communities and forums in general. Have little to no friends in general, and the ones I did have online for years have just started doing their own things now.

Combine all that with crippling depression and little to no self-esteem.

Oct 15, 2017 8:30 AM

May 2015
Nothing's really changed for me in the past 2 and a half years.

Oct 15, 2017 8:35 AM

Oct 2017
when i joined i was eating broccoli
im still eating broccoli
Oct 15, 2017 8:50 AM
Jul 2018
I joined with a love for anime, but not much anime knowledge, other than some childhood favorite series.
I am now in love with anime even more, with additional anime knowledge. But have also been going through some difficult times. Lost some close ties, been dealing with negative feelings. But I think since like 2 days ago, I'm starting to really experience contentment for the first time in forever.
Oct 15, 2017 8:53 AM

Jan 2014
I joined in like January 2014, so it was pretty exciting at the time. Currently, it's still exciting. Not much changed on that aspect. Only thing that changed was I have more responsibilities now.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 15, 2017 10:27 AM

Dec 2015
Not much has changed compared to 2015, I'm still a NEET. I'm seeing a psychologist to work on my self esteem though and that helped a bit.
Oct 15, 2017 10:55 AM

Jun 2015
i make a lot of money but im too far gone down the rabbithole of addiction and hating everyone to do anything.
dont feel like answering the second one.
Oct 15, 2017 11:45 AM

Aug 2010
Hmm I joined on Aug 2010... Can't believe 7 years have passed by like that ha! I was 18 at the time and I just graduated high school and started community college. I was basically going to school/working for 5 years till I graduated college in 2015. I was having fun and it wasn't too bad during those years. Now I finally found what I truly want to do with the rest of my life at 25 year 2017 which is awe inspiring.

The most significant thing that happened to me? Getting my dream job!

Oct 15, 2017 2:08 PM

Feb 2008
joined in 2008

1. I'd definitely say its better, I'm not dirt poor anymore and I actually have a meal every night, 2008 was shitty and although this year was weird, it has way more positives than negatives, for me at least.

2. well, 2008 was almost a decade ago so a lot of things happened.
I'm not in middleschool anymore!
I dont watch anime as much anymore, or read books as often as i used to.
I started working seriously on my comics, instead of just a hobby
I lost a large majority of my friends, dropped out of school and my dog died
I moved out of my moms place and got her to stop stealing my money
and i met my boyfriend, who I'm going to meet in person on Thursday
Oct 15, 2017 2:12 PM

Feb 2013
Not a single thing changed since I joined.
I still don't have a single idea of what to do with my life.
Oct 16, 2017 1:37 PM
Jul 2018
Since I started as a regular poster in late 2015, more like.
Um, it's a double edge sword.
On one end I matured significantly, finally started attending college, got some work experience under my belt. On the other hand, I quit my job a few months ago after the new supervisor was intent on bullying me, and my refusal to let him got me borderline fired, so I quit, I had three things resembling relationships that all ended poorly, I smoked an upper and downer weed that almost made me vomit… so on the contrary the last few months (closer to the last six) have been difficult.

Still jobless and a mess and not trying hard enough to get a new one. Maybe I'll have motivation when the money runs dry.
Oct 16, 2017 2:55 PM

Mar 2016
Well, during the time when I joined, I suppose I reacted to things easily, which became my downfall. I had just started to enter a state of mental instability. Now I'm unresponsive and very mentally ill, and my wrists are injured from typing too many long messages. I became obsessed with psychology early this year and spent all my time researching and learning. My writing saw a significant improvement as I spiraled into a state of intense paranoia. I consider myself to be more knowledgeable and more impaired. It's quite a place to be.
YaoiMasterOct 16, 2017 2:58 PM
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Oct 16, 2017 2:57 PM

Jan 2011
I honestly don't remember how my life was going when I joined. MAL didn't have major impact it or anything like that, but now it's quite fine.
Oct 16, 2017 5:18 PM

Jun 2016
>June 12th, 2016
Much better to be honest: Trump became president and I support the vast majority of what he's done so far,, I got the gun I've been wanting ever since I was a teenager (a semi-auto AK-47/AKM), I've finally made some new friends after about 2 years of not having any, I'm in a degree program I enjoy that I'll be finishing in May of next year (Art/Graphic Design), I've been expanding my art portfolio quite a bit and getting really good at it, and just a few days ago one of my friends got me a really laid back job at a mom&pop corner store that I've actually been kind of enjoying. Now all that's left for this year is to confess that I have a crush on one of my friends and ask her out and invite all of my friends to my place for my birthday.
Oct 16, 2017 5:29 PM

Sep 2012
far far worse.
the only good thing about now is that i'll be able to quit my job within the next month if all goes well. and some family members from out of state have taken a liking to me, so it's reassuring knowing that i'm at least somewhat likeable to people.
the most significant things that happened from then and now. was that everyone i could consider a friend pretty much moved on, my depression has gotten worse, i've gotten better at pretending to be a normal person, my writing has gotten a lot better and i don't feel like throwing away every poem, etc, that i write.
i'm still as miserable as ever though, but i do miss having some of those people around from 2012.

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Oct 16, 2017 5:34 PM

May 2013
Not much has changed, I'm still white!

snork!
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Oct 16, 2017 5:51 PM

Nov 2009
I would do anything to go back in time.

(THIS WAY FOREVER)
Oct 16, 2017 9:07 PM

Oct 2017
Considering I just joined a few days ago, I'd say things are about the same hahaha.
Oct 16, 2017 9:48 PM

Mar 2017
I joined like half a year ago. Since then I think I've become mentally ill.
Oct 16, 2017 9:50 PM

Apr 2014
When I joined I had crippling depression, today I have even more crippling depression

Oct 16, 2017 10:48 PM

Aug 2013
This is such a weird question, since I just returned after a 2 year hiatus (I know...). Life's had its ups and downs, but it's getting better, let's say.
Oct 17, 2017 8:46 AM

Sep 2008
I joined over 9 years ago. I wasnt even 18 back then. Still going to school and had no fucking idea who i was. Now i live togheter with a girl, have a job i like, spend very little time infront of the computer, have an active sex life, money to buy the shit i want and even an drivers license. Ive overcomoe MANY obstacles and i happy where i am right now.

Back then, i was a virgin who spended over 8h+ everyday infront of a screen and lacked social skills. Also was semi fat. Now i am in good shape and even play a very physical demanding sport.
Oct 17, 2017 9:34 AM

Oct 2017
I joined just this month, october 6. Though I had profiles here before, this is the first time I show myself and all that, so it feels great.

My life is pretty simple, so it's been the same since then. I'm 31, and my life is already settled I guess, again, simple life really.

Only thing different is that I made a friend here I guess, and I like to read once in awhile some interesting forum posts.
Updating what I'm watching also feels good, so I'd say it's all the better.

I try to avoid arguing and hate also, since I try to make life always the more peaceful I can ^_^

The hate phase is already gone for me or something, life is finally.."peaceful" and I feel my heart is at ease.
Oct 17, 2017 9:51 AM

Apr 2012
When I joined I was depressed, unemployed, broke and had anxiety issues.

Things are a lot better now. I have a job, started working out and I'm more confident.
Oct 17, 2017 11:25 AM

Jul 2012
FoolyFate said:
I am stuck in college 6 hours away from home, having one of the worst times of my life.

Eh I mean try to get involved in the town or something?

Ulquiorra said:
Not a single thing changed since I joined.
I still don't have a single idea of what to do with my life.

Awww too bad

SatoshiX said:

The most significant thing that happened to me? Getting my dream job!

Yay!

Lets see

I was more awkward then, and was still a kid so thats about it for me my life has gotten better but my standards have gone down I had like these goals that I thought id achieve by now.
Oct 18, 2017 9:12 AM

Sep 2016
Nothing's really changed for me in the year since i have been here. I am just more stressed out than before since i am in my last year at uni
Oct 18, 2017 9:28 AM
Jul 2018
It has only gotten worst but that’s not due to mal life just sucks
Oct 18, 2017 10:24 AM

Apr 2017
I've been here for less than a year, so nothing changed much, but it is slightly worse perhaps.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2017 10:28 AM

Jul 2015
u need to watch the tone of ur voice,,

caught in the wonder
Oct 18, 2017 10:33 AM

Dec 2016
My life was shit before I joined last year and my life is still shit now. That being said, if it weren't for MAL I wouldn't have met someone that I now know IRL and has made my IRL *a lot* brighter, so there's that I guess.

Anime was the catalyst of my life's downward spiral.
Joining MAL was the nail in my coffin.

Every day I keep screaming into the void,
but god just tells me to shut up.
Oct 18, 2017 12:11 PM

Mar 2012
Cool thread idea, @iSheep.

For those whose lives have moved in a positive direction, good work and congrats. For those who feel they have stagnated or regressed, hang in there and ganbatte. Sometimes it's sheer bad luck. When it's not, well, it's never too late to make a change for the better.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 18, 2017 1:25 PM

Apr 2017
It's getting worse and worse , unfortunately.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Oct 18, 2017 7:13 PM
Jul 2018
I think it is still the same, my life didn't change
Oct 18, 2017 7:15 PM

Aug 2017
I joined August 9 this year. And a lot of things have changed. I was going to study Illustration back in those days, now I'm studying Software Engineering. My MAL goal was to become a well-known artist in Creative Corner. Now I just want to enjoy MAL.
I watched more anime back then. I still love and will always love anime, but I just can't find time for it. I give more priority to League of Legends.

More topics from this board

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

4 by Soverign »»
29 minutes ago

» What's the best way to translate Yu-Yu-Hakusho's title

AlphaMaleScotty - 3 hours ago

3 by vasipi4946 »»
47 minutes ago

» Is it ok if your partner has a best friend (bestie) of the opposite sex?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 20

18 by Smugdear »»
1 hour ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

664 by Hitagi__Furude »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

56 by WaffleMaster89 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.