Forum Settings
Forums

what does the term of elitist really means ??

New
Oct 14, 2017 1:31 PM

Jul 2017
What is the real definition of this term ?? Cuz Ive encountred too much definitions and cant decide

Is this a compliment or an insult ?

For you elitists , do feel triggred if someone call you an elitist ??
This world is awful and merciless.

-accelerator-
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 14, 2017 1:35 PM

Feb 2016
filthyjesus-sama751 said it best:

Being a causual or not has nothing to do with if you are critical or not. Casual only means you don't watch so much anime per time count compared to others. It is possible for a casual viewer having a very big list if (for example) he watched anime for twenty years. Being critical is also possible since anime is not the only consumable medium out there.

"Elitists" on the other hand are people who think they are superior than/look down on others. That's all. It has no relation with taste or anime at all. A so called "casual" (based on MAL definition) can also be an elitist by thinking "those who give low scores are idiots". "Elitist shows" are used for shows that are not easy to understand, not enjoyable for the masses or old. However, this term does not exist at all and is thrown as a buzz word since an unanimous definition doesn't exist.
Oct 14, 2017 1:38 PM

Jul 2017
Aquamirror said:

Being a causual or not has nothing to do with if you are critical or not. Casual only means you don't watch so much anime per time count compared to others. It is possible for a casual viewer having a very big list if (for example) he watched anime for twenty years. Being critical is also possible since anime is not the only consumable medium out there.

"Elitists" on the other hand are people who think they are superior than/look down on others. That's all. It has no relation with taste or anime at all. A so called "casual" (based on MAL definition) can also be an elitist by thinking "those who give low scores are idiots". "Elitist shows" are used for shows that are not easy to understand, not enjoyable for the masses or old. However, this term does not exist at all and is thrown as a buzz word since an unanimous definition doesn't exist.

But Ive heard that we can call old minded people elitists ..

-accelerator-
Oct 14, 2017 1:39 PM

Feb 2013
Xtronic said:
Aquamirror said:

that's the plebian definition of elitist ofc
Oct 14, 2017 1:42 PM

Jul 2017
NothingReally said:
In the context of anime, an elitist would be someone who considers his or her self to be superior to others based on their taste in anime.

So having shows like NGE or ergo proxy in the favs means you're superrior , just how can this happen .. I mean why arent the other shows considred a supperrior taste.

-accelerator-
Oct 14, 2017 1:42 PM

Mar 2017
An elitist is somebody who considers (or is) themselves intellectually greater than others, or is somebody who believes in the Elite and Class Theory of politics-which basically means that society should be led by the wealthy and educated since they are more productive, so it is basically what the old Federalists of the late 1700s believed.

I consider myself an elitist in certain subjects (not politics), and if somebody calls me that, then I would take that as a compliment. I consider myself an elitist compared to somebody who's just watched Fairy Tail and Naruto.
Oct 14, 2017 1:44 PM

Jul 2017
romagia said:
Xtronic said:

that's the plebian definition of elitist ofc

So is Lotgh hard to understand that much to become an elitist show ??

-accelerator-
Oct 14, 2017 1:44 PM

Mar 2017
NothingReally said:
Xtronic said:
So having shows like NGE or ergo proxy in the favs means you're superrior , just how can this happen .. I mean why arent the other shows considred a supperrior taste.
No, you're not getting my point. Someone being an elitist has to do with their behavior. It has nothing to do with what shows they like. Just how they behave, being a fan of anime in general.

This is spot on, sir. I applaud thee.
Oct 14, 2017 1:46 PM

Jul 2017
NothingReally said:
Xtronic said:
No, you're not getting my point. Someone being an elitist has to do with their behavior. It has nothing to do with what shows they like. Just how they behave, being a fan of anime in general.

So what kind of behaviors should they have to become elitists ??

-accelerator-
Oct 14, 2017 1:57 PM

Sep 2015
elitists are people who have pingu in thier fav list
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Oct 14, 2017 1:58 PM

Apr 2016
Basically you like anime that no one likes.
Oct 14, 2017 2:01 PM

Feb 2015
It's like algebra... You just gotta break it down...

Elitist = (Narcissism - Self Esteem) + (Hate + Gamers Diet) - (-Life - Confidence - Social Skills)

Elitist also has another meaning

Just Plain SAD

Oct 14, 2017 2:02 PM

Sep 2017
There are too many definitions for elitists. A critic would be the closest.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 14, 2017 2:03 PM
otp haver πŸ€ͺ

Jul 2017
You mean other than a prick? The word snob comes to mind.
Oct 14, 2017 2:09 PM

Nov 2016
Elitists are people who are watching old anime from before 2010 and enjoy them,even tho they're poorly animated.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 14, 2017 2:18 PM
Jul 2018
Aquamirror said:

That's the long version.
Short version: Elitists are assholes.
Oct 14, 2017 2:20 PM

Jul 2016
People who think they're on a higher intellectual plane than others and have superior taste.

Has nothing to do with what you like, just how you express your liking of it.

Although music elitists who hate pop music just for being pop music can gtfo.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2017 2:29 PM
serendipity

Oct 2015
being an elitist is being the opposite of a 'normie'

βœβœƒβœβœƒβœβœƒβœβœƒβœ
i'll be a
bad girl who's
always good to her
boy
βœβœƒβœβœƒβœβœƒβœβœƒβœ
Oct 14, 2017 2:30 PM
Aug 2016
nymi said:
There are too many definitions for elitists. A critic would be the closest.

I'm sorry but I have to say this, that sentence is retarded beyond belief. "A critic is the closest definition of the word elitist". What the actual fuck?

Aquamirror said:

The words of wisdom, bless.
Oct 14, 2017 2:32 PM
Jul 2018
The real definition, I believe, is anyone who feels that a community should be ruled by a group of "superior" people. And that they are part of said group.

The MAL definition is basically anyone who attempts to have "perfect taste" and flaunts it in front of everyone else. Clamoring terms like "objectivity" and "artistic merit".
Oct 14, 2017 2:35 PM

Aug 2009
It's pretty much a nicer way of calling someone an asshole.

Oct 14, 2017 3:10 PM
Aug 2017
An elitist is someone who thinks liking an obscure anime from the stone age makes their taste superior to others.

It's a hyperbole of course, but you get the point.
Oct 14, 2017 3:23 PM

Dec 2008
The phrase elitist is non-applicable to this matter, anime I mean. It is also non-applicable to video games. Being an elitist has to do to applicable skills. Something that is interactive. It has nothing to do with favorites.
Oct 14, 2017 3:39 PM

Jan 2013
I just realised I'm quite an elitist then, good to know.

Except that I keep the assholeness to myself most of the time.

Oct 14, 2017 3:52 PM

Apr 2015

Whether you're joking or not, I can't help but find this to be the worse elitist definition that I have ever encountered by far.
Oct 14, 2017 4:51 PM

Oct 2015
I feel nothing but enjoyment when someone calls me an elitist.

Okay, elitism is a mindset to be more accurate. The word for who are critical about anime is critics or critique. Elitists are basically assholes that pushes their opinion on others.

Honestly, the people who says shit on critics like Zephsilver, Captain220 and AndoCommando are retarded to call them elitist, when ironically, they are the elitist in that situation. No matter what your taste is, even if you are an ecchi fan or anything like that, you can be an elitist.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Oct 14, 2017 5:55 PM

Apr 2017
So basically everyone is an elitist? Because if you call someone elitist then you are being elitist as well by thinking that it is better not to be an elitist.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2017 5:59 PM

Mar 2014
Being an elitist has to do with your behavior towards the anime fanbase. It's not about which anime are your favorites, its about how you treat others based on their taste in anime.
Oct 14, 2017 6:03 PM

Jan 2014
It's an "insult," but it's basically the equivalent of called someone a genius in a condescending way. Wait, nevermind..

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 14, 2017 6:04 PM

Apr 2017
Basically someone who believes their taste is superior than others, assuming they also have like 300-500 animes completed under their belt too.

Oct 14, 2017 7:07 PM

Oct 2015
comic sans is an elitist *smug* *jk*
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Oct 14, 2017 7:45 PM

Aug 2016
People use this in two ways.

1) Regardless of the anime being Tatami Galaxy or Sword Art Online, if you act like you are better than other people based on what you watch you are an elitist.

2) You exclusively only support "intellectual" or consensus/highly respected anime shows because they harder to rip apart. Shows like this include, Ping Pong, Akira, NGE, Tatami Galaxy, Monster, Kino's Journey, Digimon Tamers, Cowboy Bebop, Ashita No Joe, GTO, Porcco Rosso, Serial Experiments Lain, Ergo Proxy etc.
Oct 14, 2017 8:11 PM

Oct 2013
JFuji said:
People use this in two ways.

1) Regardless of the anime being Tatami Galaxy or Sword Art Online, if you act like you are better than other people based on what you watch you are an elitist.

2) You exclusively only support "intellectual" or consensus/highly respected anime shows because they harder to rip apart. Shows like this include, Ping Pong, Akira, NGE, Tatami Galaxy, Monster, Kino's Journey, Digimon Tamers, Cowboy Bebop, Ashita No Joe, GTO, Porcco Rosso, Serial Experiments Lain, Ergo Proxy etc.

No, having sao in your favorite list is like having a elitist repellent on you. People wont see that person as a elitist. lmao
Oct 14, 2017 8:12 PM

Feb 2016
The MAL meme? A kind of insult to anyone that likes some specifics shows
Oct 14, 2017 8:13 PM

Jul 2013
Being an elitist simply means you think you are objectively right. It really is that simple. It isn't based off what shows someone likes.
Oct 14, 2017 8:14 PM
Feb 2017
People who think their taste in superior to other people.

Most of the elitist shows are trash tbh.Even though i liked quite few of them.
Oct 14, 2017 8:30 PM

Jul 2015
doesn't it mean someone who has seen cowboy bebop???????///??/

β™”
caught in the wonder
β™”
Oct 14, 2017 8:35 PM

Aug 2008
Elitist are someone who think they are superior because they think they have better taste in anime.

Some history lesson about elitist. I been here since 2008 so let me share my view. Originally, the attitude of looking down on others and thinking one is superior because they felt they have better taste come from fans of anime like LoGH, old anime,so called thought provoking,psychological anime etc. Anyone who like ecchi, battle shounen, mainstream anime will be seen by them as having shit taste.However, as time continues, this attitude of looking down on others base on taste also become common not just on old anime fans but also any other type of anime fans. As a result, definition of elitist is more closer towards behavior and no longer about taste.
ZapredonOct 14, 2017 8:43 PM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Oct 14, 2017 8:38 PM

May 2016
DEAD_ID69 said:
Most of the elitist shows are trash tbh.

Doesn't look like you've seen very many of them.
Oct 14, 2017 8:39 PM
Feb 2017
Dendritik said:
DEAD_ID69 said:
Most of the elitist shows are trash tbh.

Doesn't look like you've seen very many of them.

My list is incomplete.I just fill them randomly when i feel like it.
Oct 14, 2017 8:42 PM

May 2016
DEAD_ID69 said:

My list is incomplete.I just fill them randomly when i feel like it.

So which ones do you think are trash?
Oct 15, 2017 2:20 AM

Jul 2017
They are taking anime too serious that they like to defy anime's role as an entertainment.

They have fun in anime through criticizing anime. Therefore they focus on flaws of anime.

They like to be critical when having entertainment because they think that's what intelligent people would do.

They derive superiority from watching certain anime. And they think people who don't watch those anime because they are stupid and they can't understand.

They tends to think that certain types of anime should not exists, because they are too superior and have seen too many anime to have fun with those ''generic trash for the lowest common denominator''.

Oct 15, 2017 2:44 AM
Nov 2010
An elitist claims the existence of an elite and that the elite should be acknowledged as the best/leaders. Great anime compared to other anime, great behavior compared to other behavior, great tastes compared to other tastes, and so on.

Cheers.
Oct 15, 2017 3:23 AM

Aug 2014
Elitist.
Someone who think they're always right.
They think they're high and their taste is should apply to all people in the universe.
Instead appreciate something for what they are in multiple perspectives, they will grade everything based on their standard and force it to other people standard and perspective.

I think one of the reason why Japanese people doesn't listen or care about outside region other than their own (about anime) was to hinder any ridiculous criticism given by elitist and focus on gaining profit.
Well imagine if they saw the MAL "fans" score and critics about the anime they made passionately got no appreciation at all.
Oct 15, 2017 3:27 AM

Nov 2009
Darek said:
It is basically people who consider themself better because of their taste. A lot of mainstream fans are more elitist than any fan of underground shows or oldies. I mean, how many times do you see people shitting on people for the crime of liking LoGH? Just look at the factthat they turned people who like this show into a meme.

About as often as I see people shitting on people for the crime of liking SAO.
Oct 15, 2017 4:46 AM

Apr 2017
FoolyFate said:
Being an elitist has to do with your behavior towards the anime fanbase. It's not about which anime are your favorites, its about how you treat others based on their taste in anime.

So how the people are calling others elitists from the favorites without knowing their actual behaviors ??

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Oct 15, 2017 5:53 AM

Oct 2015
S-quare22 said:
FoolyFate said:

So how the people are calling others elitists from the favorites without knowing their actual behaviors ??
That is the reason why those people who call them elitists are ironically elitists themselves. It is their fault for calling people like Zephsilver elitist. I got called an elitist once because I have Monster, Mushishi and Gundams on my favorites then we chat then we chill.

Oct 15, 2017 9:15 AM

Apr 2017
Gintokikachi said:
S-quare22 said:

That is the reason why those people who call them elitists are ironically elitists themselves. It is their fault for calling people like Zephsilver elitist. I got called an elitist once because I have Monster, Mushishi and Gundams on my favorites then we chat then we chill.

Monster isnt an elitist show , I watched it and I liked it though Im not an elitist.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Oct 15, 2017 9:19 AM

Oct 2015
@S-quare22 Nothing is an elitist show. Don't think something will turn you into a elitist/veteran because you watched one that is considered a high up. Also, call them Veterans, not elitist. There is a world difference between an elitist and a veteran. That is why Chronexia has a "For Veterans" in his list. You can watch LoGH and still not be a veteran, I've met one who said he didn't become an elitist/veteran. It's the mindset that matters.

Just be wary of using elitists. Elitist isn't a praise.

I've seen some people who has watched LoGH and Proxy, but did not like it at all or did like it, but far away from someone similar to Zeph or Ando.

Oct 22, 2017 11:53 PM
Oct 2017
Anime eletist are the most easy to find than in any other media:

-They're always a fan of either Neon genesis evangelion(for its deep character development and character study) or they're a fan o Legend of galatic heroes(this logic never fails.)
-They're always fans of avant-garde/Dementia animes examples:Serial experiment lain,ergo proxy,Perfect blue,Neon genesis evangelion the end of evanglion.
-They hates battles shounens but at the same time they think battle seinens are fine(ex:Berserk,vagabond,Vinland saga.)
-For some reason they think that the seinen demographic doesn't have any kinda of trope.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 42 minutes ago

11 by Shrimp_Tail »»
5 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - 17 minutes ago

3 by EastIndiaCompany »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 9 minutes ago

0 by Absurdo_N »»
9 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 3 hours ago

9 by Rhaelynne »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 11 hours ago

40 by Ravex1 »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.