Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 16, 2017 9:37 AM

Sep 2016
am i an elitist? :thinking:
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Oct 16, 2017 9:52 AM

Oct 2008
Bort is so OP and is stronger than Dia...but they are still struggling against that liquid snail enemy!?
4/5.

Oct 16, 2017 9:39 PM

Oct 2012
What a strange and beautiful show. I love it so far. The snail creature really took it to another level.
Oct 16, 2017 10:49 PM

Aug 2013
Nakata Jouji's harem the Animation Lul.

Great episode.
Oct 16, 2017 11:58 PM

Mar 2009
Uhh, what? Rest in peace I guess.
Oct 17, 2017 1:54 PM

Jun 2015
Very good episode, didnt expect to turn out with cliffhanger like this
Oct 17, 2017 2:09 PM

Sep 2013
Pho struggling beinga scholar and the diamonds get the spotlight, maybe pho will categorize the gems emotions since they also have issues.
Slug monster eats pho and she melts.
Oct 17, 2017 2:15 PM

Nov 2007
Phos is such a funny and likeable character. She lacks combat skill and can't find her place. She wants to be useful but can't overcome her characteristic attributes. The same applies to others, especially Cinnabar and Diamond.

As we can see Bort is not so invincible. Maybe Diamond will be more resistant to corrosion/dissolving and can do something with the situation.

Next week episode title is "Metamorphose". I don't believe it is the end of Phos so I expect they retrieve her somehow from the snail. Could she get recrystallised into a stronger mineral?

5/5
CrispmjOct 17, 2017 2:18 PM
Oct 18, 2017 8:06 AM

Jan 2015
This show is so gorgeous it is painful. So many desktop wallpaper scenes (I mean that in the best way)
I love the tone of it too, there isn't a big exposition dump as to who these characters are and what they like, we just learn naturally. I really love this
Oct 19, 2017 3:00 PM

May 2015
Goodness, that is one ugly snail. Poor Phos.

Oct 20, 2017 12:51 AM

Aug 2012
-wait if the only life left in the world is either at the bottom of the sea or is a gem person then...
-come to think of it, i don't think i'd ever get tired of gags where the gemstones break off body parts
-i... don't think i've seen jade's hairstyle in anime before. it's pretty cool though
-dia's hair is super cool
-was phos rolling down dia's thigh-highs
-the sword-swinging sounds are kinda janky
-did... did dia turn bort into her fuckin sword
-i must have missed something because everything dia said about bort (is she wurzite boron nitride?) went over my head
-phos is fuckin great
-oh no

So apparently the eyes reflected in Dia's sword were her own and not some other gem that she used to make the sword from. Also it felt like a whole lotta nothing happened this episode other than the snail at the end digesting Phos. Dia's characterization this episode just felt like a rehash of Cinnabar's, with the entire inferiority complex thing. As more episodes get released I could kinda see some sort of distinction being made between Dia and Cinnabar, but right now they're so similar that Dia's whole formal introduction just fell flat.

When I first saw the preview, I was kinda disappointed that it seems that Phos would get reconstructed in the next episode, but then it kinda made sense since the lunarians or whatever wanted to harvest them for jewelry, and you can't really make jewelry with a dissolved gem. So it kinda makes sense that there's a recovery method for whatever got dissolved in that snail.

The whole thing still looks as gorgeous as the first episode, especially with Dia's hair. Pretty much all of the hair colors of the gems are really pretty to look at, except for maybe Bort and Kongo. The sound quality of the sword swings and unsheathings are still pretty low quality from what I can hear, but that's really the only bad thing that stands out to me about the production quality.

TL;DR: art is still very pleasing but felt a bit redundant
Oct 20, 2017 5:56 PM

Jan 2011
Looks like someone forgot to turn off their swag before going to sleep meditating.
Oct 21, 2017 6:48 AM
Oct 2016
So far this is reminded me of shin sekai yori, another favorite of mine. The ending was caught me off guard. My, it’s so hard for avoiding the manga.
Oct 21, 2017 6:54 PM

Jul 2009
TheSupremeOne34 said:
Phantomhearts said:

yeah but i can still hear them refer to one another as he/him most times and i think thats better than calling them girls lol. i like that they're presenting masc-nb ppl.
everyone has SU for fem-nbs.

they call each other by male terms because the japanese language physically has no way to describe genderless individuals, and it defaults to masculine pronouns and such if you can't figure out the subject's gender. English, on the other hand does support this, and properly we should be using it/them to refer to our gems.

I personally use she/her because I'm lazy and can't see them as anything other than cute girls.

Actually english fails at having neutral gender appropriate terms as well. "It/them" isn't really accurate either.

Personally i'm just gonna pick and choose who I consider male/female. Dia is def female. IDGAF look at her stockings and behaviour. Girl. Phos I can see more as a guy although that leg exposure makes it hard (but they all wear the same shit so...)
Oct 25, 2017 4:58 PM

Oct 2015
Phos being devoured like that by that snail looking thing was kinda pathetic but Bort on the other is impressive and I like Dia also. But I know Phos will be saved considering to be protagonist and all but is annoying as hell.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 29, 2017 2:08 PM

Jun 2013
This was amazing!!
Nov 1, 2017 2:41 PM

Feb 2015
This scene was pretty hilarious

We got to learn a little bit more about gems and how they were created which is nice even if it was only a little.

In the fight between Dia and moon people I actually thought that it was their sword which was making that noise since it was falling apart with every hit it took and I was actually surprised when Bort took of their glove.
Diamond's situation is pretty pitiful, they should fight alongside Bolt but they're weaker and and can't keep up to the point when Bort is making all the job done and when they are trying to improve it all fails.

Dia's cute when blushing~

I kinda like how Phos is juts a running gag for other gems.

The episode was 24min long but it really felt more like 5 minutes.

I'm really curious what was that pink snail thingy but judging from the next ep preview it will get smaller and Phos will turn back to normal.. well... more or less normal.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Nov 9, 2017 10:27 PM

Dec 2016
Damn wasn't expecting an ending like that! Shit!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 13, 2017 11:32 AM

Dec 2014
This show is so mesmerizing.. must be diamonds hair. O3O
Dec 23, 2017 11:42 AM
Nov 2017
What a show so far and it just started. And I have to agree with Dia's hair it's amazing.
Dec 28, 2017 12:09 PM

Jan 2017
Whaaat's!? Poor Phos. Anyways, i'm not such a big fan of characters so far, specially Phos i find her to be quite archetypal, i hope the show focusing around the 'history curator' doesn't amount to the same of the one in Whale: nothing.

I find the moon people to be quite, um how can i put this, dull. As for the world building i'm still not mesmerized.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Dec 30, 2017 7:47 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode, plenty of mystery. Strange enemies.
Jan 1, 2018 9:34 PM

Apr 2015
I don't like Bort. Do not bully the Diamond.

Can someone please tell Phos what exactly she's supposed to put in this damn encyclopedia? Though this new creature that showed up and ate her/started melting Gems at the end would certainly be something to put in there. Why do I feel like Cinnabar's going to have some kind of power that will work against these creatures/the thing she can do better than being a night guard that Phos promised?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 20, 2018 12:16 PM

Jul 2013
I like the relationship between Bort and Diamond. I like Diamond, although she is seen as fragile, she can still fight. I hope the next episode will be Phos coming back to life. Love the series so far! The animation is beautiful! Now this is CG done right.
Feb 13, 2018 12:52 AM

Jan 2009
that Dia is like damsel in distress more than Phos and poor Phos but i think she will be reassembled next episode judging by the preview

and that other Diamond Bort is badass
Feb 20, 2018 9:58 PM

Dec 2012
Why would you punch him in his sleep? Rude.
Dia is blinding.
Dia just used magic cylinder on them.
Dia was saved.
Bort is the true diamond? Well, Diamond is suppose to be unbreakable.
Dat light.
They've come back.
Sensei is nap- I mean meditating.
Phos got eaten.
Phos is melting.
Dat ending.

Bad end. Looks like the story is over. RIP Phos.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Feb 21, 2018 1:29 PM

May 2012
That ending sure was quite something! Pretty nice development actually, let's see what's next!
Feb 25, 2018 8:42 PM

Mar 2015
Bort is awesome, and I like how they all represent a jewel and then there's the heirarchy of their hardness and value etc.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 11, 2018 11:15 PM

Aug 2015
Really liking some of the characters already. They're all so quirky.
Apr 26, 2018 11:37 PM

Apr 2015
I'm kind of confused. So when Dia was just standing there and the sky turned red - I'm assuming we're supposed to believe that she was going to be abducted and sent to the moon?

And also, with the way she was smiling, it seemed like she was almost happy or at least willing to go the moon? Perhaps because she felt useless as a diamond?

I like how this episode developed thus far, but my worry is that the power dynamic might not make sense. If dia and bort are the most powerful, and the 2nd best rank feels inadequate, than would that mean all characters are technically to some extent also inadequate?

Or does Dia just feel inadequate because Dia and bort go up against greater foes - of which she can't beat, compared to her partner?
observing a woman's body
Sep 10, 2018 11:57 AM
Sep 2017
this anime is really refreshing to watch
Nov 14, 2018 2:16 PM

Feb 2010
wow everything was so light hearted then boom DEATH
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Dec 12, 2018 1:59 PM

May 2013
LMFAAAAOOOOO, OMG. I love the little tidbit where Jade loses her hand from trying to wake up Sensei-- I'M DED XDDD love her <333333

Dia is the most previous little jewel ;A; we must protect her at all costs :')

I really like Phos' personality lol. She's such a feisty troublemaker hahaha

THAT ENDING THOOOOOO TT________TT
Man, this anime has me HOOKED. I might give it a 10/10 at this rate xD
I wonder how Phos is gonna get out of the snail :3

Bort is harsh, but she means well. Just needs to find a better way with words, haha
I'm glad it showed not even her perfection hardness could withstand acid, let alone have her whole body enveloped in it like Phos is D':>
Jan 25, 2019 7:12 PM
Apr 2018
Meh, I wasn't very pleased with Dia and Bort: it felt like watching Cinnabar again.

Phos... How are they going to restore her?
Mar 13, 2019 5:02 PM

Dec 2014
5/5 Dia is so... precious

I like all the characters so far, but bort, hell, she's super strong, can't wait to make a Fanart of her.

Phos you trouble maker, good for nothing, you better be not dead.
Aug 16, 2019 2:43 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Dia is such a cute thing. Genderless yet still blushing towards Bortz like that, sorry but she seems like a girl at her heart, so I will be adressing her as a she.

Also WTF was that ending?! Gonna see what comes next now!
Nov 14, 2019 5:43 AM

Jan 2011
Episode 1 caught me off guard with brutal ‘death’. Now episode 2 make me understand that this anime tries to bring the emotion of “hopelessness” in face of mercilessly overwhelming enemies. This is like Devil Survivor 2 where after half season they start killing off main characters.
Now on to this episode . I expect Bruto to kiss Diamond when she shakes soo much. Now our MC is literally melting I was hoping for Cinnabar to show up. Now I think to overcame this hopelessness MC need an upgrade.
There is like 2 weeks delay in my recent reading list
I randomly bought discount/second hand manga with cute/mysterious cover.

Use Personal Blacklist extension in Chrome if you just want to Google for a series synopsis, without google slapping MAL score in it.
3/1
Feb 9, 2020 6:10 AM
Dec 2019
I like so much their hair!
Apr 1, 2020 7:52 AM

May 2016
Even knowing she survive watching her melt like that was hurting me to watch.
May 4, 2020 11:34 AM

Nov 2019
Phos has undergone chemical dissolution. There is now way I can think of him being revived without more hydrated Zinc phosphate... Then anyway his memories might be compromised...

Dia is such a cinnamon roll. He really has a sweet dynamic with Phos
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Dec 25, 2020 7:32 PM

May 2020
This episode was beautiful! The music and everything~ BANG
Mar 11, 2021 11:18 PM

Feb 2020
The story is getting more deep. Both Diamond and Bort were so cool in this episode.

R.I.P Phos? What a cliffhanger.

SerafosJan 13, 5:04 AM
Jul 5, 2021 10:31 PM

Jan 2020
diamond is super cute.

But dang, I wasn't expecting phos to get eaten like that

Jul 19, 2021 5:14 PM

Apr 2018
Bortz is a pretty interesting character. Strong but rude. And Dia's pretty cute. Cinnabar will come in the end to rescue Phos. Hopefully she can still be put together..
Nice action scenes

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Sep 20, 2021 6:51 PM

Mar 2016
The OP's song is one of the most peaceful and beautiful OP from the year of 2017, combine the vocals, tune and visuals of the OP itself and it made the entire thing felt so mystical and fantastical. Really set in the atmosphere of cute-looking gemstones who fight endlessly against moon-people. Whereas the ED retain some of the OP's aspect though not to this extent of fabulousness.

Never touch a bald man's head for those who desire to desecrate man's holy summit shall receive immediate torment. Such is the case for Jade who has broken off her hand by merely fist-bumping towards the Sensei's head.

Phosphophyllite is devastatingly brittle and weak, she's unfit for combat and has only begun to find ideas for her currently empty encyclopedia. However, the problems don't end even when you're the diamond. Even dia herself as hard as she is can only do so much to fight, knowing how brittle she is. It's funny how Bort diamonds which IRL is significantly cheaper and generally not desired can have the hardness of a diamond and the toughness that surpasses that of diamonds. Guess why they used her on drill bits, she doesn't look as glamourous as diamonds are but her property is top tier.
ShadowkillZSep 20, 2021 6:55 PM
Oct 12, 2021 6:47 AM

Feb 2019
Bortz and Diamond. Diamond is a gentle girl.

Phos is eaten by the snail who can melt even Bortz.

Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Dec 11, 2021 12:05 AM

Aug 2020
I really like Dia's design.

Phos got melted like that. I have a feeling that Cinnabar will take out the snail.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Dec 19, 2021 9:07 AM
Nov 2020
The thing about Dia actually reminded me that i remember seeing that was the whole reason they went with 3D. They felt they wouldn't be able to do gems enough justice in 2D.
Apr 18, 2022 6:51 AM

May 2020
Didn't expect this will escalate that fast, not sure how they'll put Phos together again now. And yes some diamonds are slight harder than some of their other counterparts.
Aug 24, 2022 12:44 AM

Dec 2018
maybe phos will be reborn? idk that was intense though.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

315 by EngelsGreyrat »»
Yesterday, 11:00 AM

» Not at 500,000 viewers after 6 years :(

ghier - Dec 2, 2023

29 by APolygons2 »»
Feb 11, 12:24 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2017

147 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:29 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

98 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 2, 2023 8:27 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2017

108 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 2, 2023 7:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.