Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Oct 14, 2017 9:16 PM
Jul 2013
EGOIST said:
SaitoInu said:

I can tell you never watched the original.
Looks like he did though. Jokes on you.

Except he's only four episodes in. And the Coliseum arc starts at 6. So...
Oct 14, 2017 9:53 PM

Feb 2014
Mouloxas said:

Vhailor said:
So, if I'm not mistaken, we are getting a backstory episode/arc after all, making the rambling exposition at the beginning of the first episode pretty much unnecessary.

We're only getting three repeat episodes: Coliseum, Land of Adults, A Kind Land

Yeah, the exposition was redundant after all.

Yep, goes to show how much thought went in while making this show.

Can't wait to see the soulless, watered down version of the remaining two episodes from the original!
Oct 15, 2017 12:23 AM

Jan 2016
What was Riku whispering about to Shizu???
Oct 15, 2017 1:29 AM
Jul 2016
xiety10 said:
Then what happened to her (the wife) and she was able to get out from that country?

She surrendered. Losing doesn't mean death, you're free to leave the country afterwards.

darkcloud1111 said:
Also, after seeing the original and this episode, I'm still not sure why the wife told Kino that she should go to that country. Was she just trying to trick Kino in the way she was tricked or did she think Kino could have done something. If anyone knows, please leave a reply.

It's left up to the viewer's interpretation. The episode's theme is revenge, so it's entirely possible that the wife was "guiding" travelers to that country in the hopes that one of them could avenge the death of her husband. It could also be that she was just sending travelers to their death just to vent her frustration.

HenshinDrift said:
What was Riku whispering about to Shizu???

Oct 15, 2017 1:42 AM
Sep 2017
It's like a filler... This make me sad but also made me want to read the novel. I'm pretty sure that some chapters (which have not been adapted in the classic anime) will be rushed like this. The coliseum arc, why, Lerche?? WHY?
Oct 15, 2017 1:56 AM

Apr 2016
Pretty disappointed with how this was handled tbh. Really skipped over a lot that the original took 2 episodes to flesh out and Kino seemed like a cold-hearted killer. Wasn't a big fan of how the guy who was the prince was used as a last minute plot twist that had no foreshadowing beforehand and I'm a little worried about how other things that were in the original anime will be handled.
Oct 15, 2017 2:36 AM

May 2009
Bluekirby2 said:
Pretty disappointed with how this was handled tbh. Really skipped over a lot that the original took 2 episodes to flesh out and Kino seemed like a cold-hearted killer. Wasn't a big fan of how the guy who was the prince was used as a last minute plot twist that had no foreshadowing beforehand and I'm a little worried about how other things that were in the original anime will be handled.

You should read the novel (original source) to see how the adaptation handled it and what was really skipped. :o

Mouloxas said:
darkcloud1111 said:
Also, after seeing the original and this episode, I'm still not sure why the wife told Kino that she should go to that country. Was she just trying to trick Kino in the way she was tricked or did she think Kino could have done something. If anyone knows, please leave a reply.

It's left up to the viewer's interpretation. The episode's theme is revenge, so it's entirely possible that the wife was "guiding" travelers to that country in the hopes that one of them could avenge the death of her husband. It could also be that she was just sending travelers to their death just to vent her frustration.

I was also wondering if the woman knew about Kino's skill and though she could make it. Otherwise, I agree with you. I'm surprise such an important point of the story which was not discussed here so far. oO
Oct 15, 2017 2:52 AM
Jul 2016
Djidji said:
Mouloxas said:

I was also wondering if the woman knew about Kino's skill and thought she could make it. Otherwise, I agree with you. I'm surprised such an important point of the story which was not discussed here so far. oO

Well, given that it was a chance meeting between them and they probably didn't even spend a day together, it's highly unlikely that she got to witness Kino's abilities so...
Oct 15, 2017 2:52 AM

Apr 2015
all i can say about this eppi is: they dun gun fugged up
Oct 15, 2017 3:00 AM
Aug 2016
Ignoring everyone's talking about the original (as I haven't seen it). But "that dog can talk?!" really shouldn't be coming from a talking motorcycle.
Oct 15, 2017 3:19 AM

May 2009
Mouloxas said:
Djidji said:

I was also wondering if the woman knew about Kino's skill and thought she could make it. Otherwise, I agree with you. I'm surprised such an important point of the story which was not discussed here so far. oO

Well, given that it was a chance meeting between them and they probably didn't even spend a day together, it's highly unlikely that she got to witness Kino's abilities so...

The couple (or the woman later) could have heard about Kino from citizens talking about other travelers.
Didn't Kino receive the number 24 because she was the 24th traveler coming into this country in the last seven years? (Maybe, maybe not) If it's true, travelers are quite rare.
Oct 15, 2017 3:52 AM
Jul 2016
Djidji said:
Didn't Kino receive the number 24 because she was the 24th traveler coming into this country in the last seven years? (Maybe, maybe not) If it's true, travelers are quite rare.

No, she was number 24 because she was the 24th competing in the current tournament. Apparently, they've been holding this tournament every 3 months for the last 7 years, it wouldn't make sense if she was the 24th traveler overall. Not to mention that this country is famous as a wonderful place that everyone must visit, so you'd expect many travelers would actually do just that.
Oct 15, 2017 4:21 AM

May 2009
Mouloxas said:
Djidji said:

No, she was number 24 because she was the 24th competing in the current tournament. Apparently, they've been holding this tournament every 3 months for the last 7 years, it wouldn't make sense if she was the 24th traveler overall. Not to mention that this country is famous as a wonderful place that everyone must visit, so you'd expect many travelers would actually do just that.

Fair point.
You're supposed to do at most 5 match (Day 1: 2; Day 2: 2; Day 3:1) so there are 16 contestants, but it still doesn't mean your number will be between 1 and 16 I guess. (My mistake there.)
I though some citizens could have fought again for the right to create a new law, but no.
So that means the woman lead Kino to this country knowing she was not aware of their rules, or at least without telling them.
Oct 15, 2017 5:03 AM
Jul 2017
The fact that people think this was a good episode - regardless of whether they had seen the 2003 version or not - says a lot about how low this website's standards are. I get the sense that a lot of you don't even really pay attention when you turn on a show. You press play and turn your brain off entirely for 24 minutes.

This was bad storytelling. It was visually boring. There were no lessons here, no philosophical ideas, it didn't even adequately introduce Shizu, who was a much more interesting character in the 2003 version. Here, he's as bland and generic as Kino is.
Oct 15, 2017 6:14 AM

Feb 2008
This is pretty much what I feared while watching the original. Kino was kind of borderline edgefest, but the director and writers knew what they were doing, and focused on all the right details that gave more context to everything in the show, making the violence more than just edgy.

Here we have Kino walk in into a city, complete for whatever reason, kill the King for whatever reasons, and order everyone to kill themselves for whatever reasons. Kino ends up being a complete edgelord, while we don't even know much about the city itself. And it's doing the worst LN thing that adaptations always carry over, the reverse "show don't tell" or I guess "tell don't show".

The Colosseum was already one of my least favorite episodes of the original, but this was just bad. And if this is closer to the novel than the previous adaptation, I fear for the future episodes. Why did Nakamura have to die, getting another Kino from him would've been great.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 15, 2017 8:35 AM

Mar 2015
On its own an average episode. Compared to 2003 version, the episode was pretty bad.
Oct 15, 2017 9:43 AM

Feb 2017
Yeah, i never watch the old one, but i can tell that this is not good. The pacing so fast and lack of development. Maybe thia is still an introduction episode.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Oct 15, 2017 9:44 AM

Nov 2011
Such a good episode, I love how they still make us question whether or not Kino is a Male or Female, because if I remember correctly no one really knows what Kino is. In the beginning the Officers called Kino "Boy" but at the end Kino said "I was always told not to follow strange men" and then Riku told the Prince something again maybe the possibility of Kino being a female.

I see a lot of sources say Kino is a female, but Ive also seen a lot say Male, anyone know if there has been a confirmation yet?
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Oct 15, 2017 10:06 AM

Apr 2015
GoingInside said:
The fact that people think this was a good episode - regardless of whether they had seen the 2003 version or not - says a lot about how low this website's standards are. I get the sense that a lot of you don't even really pay attention when you turn on a show. You press play and turn your brain off entirely for 24 minutes.

This was bad storytelling. It was visually boring. There were no lessons here, no philosophical ideas, it didn't even adequately introduce Shizu, who was a much more interesting character in the 2003 version. Here, he's as bland and generic as Kino is.

Yup.

SoraSenpai said:
Such a good episode

Posts like these frighten me.
Oct 15, 2017 11:51 AM

Nov 2011
brikkiblakk said:
GoingInside said:

Yup.

SoraSenpai said:
Such a good episode

really? how can a simple post about a Japanese animation frighten you?
Listen to my podcast

Follow my twitch.

Oct 15, 2017 12:06 PM

Mar 2014
Djidji said:
EdHaku said:
Kino was completely illogical.

Can you develop this statement for me please? :o

Her actions made no sense. There was no reason for her to kill the king and order everyone to kill each other. Sure, she saw that there were poor people on the streets and learned about the country's story, but that isn't really a reason for her to care. She saw way worse stuff in other countries and didn't even moved a finger to change it.

Not only that, but the viewer doesn't really get a chance to hate the king. He doesn't even have a single line. Why should I care?
Oct 15, 2017 12:54 PM

Jul 2016
Trying to cram 2 episodes worth of content into 1 episode is just sad.
Oct 15, 2017 1:23 PM

May 2009
EdHaku said:
Djidji said:

Can you develop this statement for me please? :o

Her actions made no sense. There was no reason for her to kill the king and order everyone to kill each other. Sure, she saw that there were poor people on the streets and learned about the country's story, but that isn't really a reason for her to care. She saw way worse stuff in other countries and didn't even moved a finger to change it.

Not only that, but the viewer doesn't really get a chance to hate the king. He doesn't even have a single line. Why should I care?

This episode is about revenge, mainly for all the travelers who got trapped in this country, dying or becoming slave in front of their selective (and forced) immigration law. Be it for the couple, be it for herself, be it for the others. This country offer the chance to any newcomer to change it by adding a law of their choice and she didn't transgress any rule. Yes, that was a pure egoist and angry behaviour, but Kino is human, not perfect. The country give her the occasion to act that way legally and she made use of it.
She didn't order everyone to kill each other. She merely said the one who want to be a king must get rid of the others, just like the previous king. Still, all the citizens choose to agree with that, deliberately or not, and still come to the coliseum to see travelers fighting to death.
They also didn't need to have a king. Either you have a king, but no citizens to rule or you choose to abandon the idea of having one. Like Hermes said, those who don't want to die should leave the country.
Also, there is no poor people like in the 2003's version. Everyone got the same status here.

The viewer doesn't have to hate the king. Kino does, that what matters. He didn't have to be your random "I am a mad king".
DjidjiOct 15, 2017 1:27 PM
Oct 15, 2017 1:28 PM

Apr 2015
SoraSenpai said:
brikkiblakk said:

Yup.

What frightens me is when people like something that is clearly sub-par.

And I say this being a person that loves terrible movies. But I know they are terrible, and I like them for being terrible. I do not think they are good movies. I also don't think that cheesy american anime dubs are good, but I like them because they are cheesy.
Oct 15, 2017 1:42 PM

Nov 2011
brikkiblakk said:
SoraSenpai said:

And I say this being a person that loves terrible movies. But I know they are terrible, and I like them for being terrible. I do not think they are good movies. I also don't think that cheesy american anime dubs are good, but I like them because they are cheesy.

Well that's your taste and thats fine. However it's just your opinion (and some others) that have had the same one when it comes to this anime being sub-par and thats okay.

I for-one have seen nothing wrong with these first two episodes. They have been enjoyable and fun to watch. Plus the animation is great so there's that as well.
Listen to my podcast

Follow my twitch.

Oct 15, 2017 3:10 PM

Mar 2014
Djidji said:

She didn't order everyone to kill each other. She merely said the one who want to be a king must get rid of the others, just like the previous king.

That's literally the same thing. In the end it turned to be a "kill or be killed" situation.
Djidji said:

Also, there is no poor people like in the 2003's version. Everyone got the same status here.

There are. You can see a few of them on the streets.

Djidji said:

The viewer doesn't have to hate the king. Kino does, that what matters. He didn't have to be your random "I am a mad king".

Sure, then I won't feel anything when the king dies or feel any sympathy on Kino when she kills him.

Howiie said:
EdHaku said:

Wasn't that kind of the point? It was an impulsive, emotional act of revenge for trapping so many past travelers. It was an act that caused more destruction than even the initial act it was supposed to get back at. It wasn't just. She was visibly frustrated throughout, and even more frustrated at what she had done by the end. But the theme of the episode, as evidenced by its title "Avengers" was about those aspects of revenge as a concept, and I saw it as being all about whether or not revenge, at large, equates to justice, or whether it often comes more destructively out of emotion. The changes that the original series made to the story actually gutted that concept, her rule was different and was no longer revenge.

We need to stop seeing Kino as an absolutely perfect, neutral protagonist who has never had an affect on any country or any life. At the very start of the series she questions whether she is secretly impulsive, whether she isn't the perfect neutral traveler she wants to be. And we saw it there, we actually saw her flaws this time around, and this isn't the only case across the source where she is flawed and deeply impulsive, I remember a story very distinctly from the original novels where she kills a man in cold blood who was looking forward to reuniting with his family just because he mistook her for a family member and startled her. I think it was pretty clear.

It was the point, but it was poorly executed in this series for the reasons I stated before. And if it was like that on the novels, then this story is also bad there.
I'm not saying she's neutral. I'm saying this wasn't enough to make her care.
Oct 15, 2017 3:47 PM

May 2009
EdHaku said:
Djidji said:

She didn't order everyone to kill each other. She merely said the one who want to be a king must get rid of the others, just like the previous king.

That's literally the same thing. In the end it turned to be a "kill or be killed" situation.

No, that's not the same. If they start killing themselves, then they aren't better than the previous king.
It turned in a "kill or be killed" situation because of how the people chose to act, not because they were forced to. If the citizens were those of the Land of Permitted Murder, it wouldn't have happened.
You can also choose to think it's better to let this country force ignorant travelers to die in the colosseum for its citizen's enjoyment. Sure, the victims may have been lower so maybe it's a more fair thinking.

EdHaku said:
Djidji said:

There are. You can see a few of them on the streets.

You see the city being deteriorated and people drinking (most likely) alcohol, because everyone do as they pleased. Even the colosseum is in a sad state.
There may be some people who are richer than others, but it's not a two-layers society. (Top citizens vs low class in the 03's)

EdHaku said:
Djidji said:

Sure, then I won't feel anything when the king dies or feel any sympathy on Kino when she kills him.

Why would you feel anything for him? He's no more than the bad king who kill his own family to ascend on the trone and create the current laws. He just reaped what he sowed.
Why would you have more or less sympathy for the king than the thief in the previous episode?
Oct 15, 2017 4:19 PM

Mar 2014
Djidji said:

not because they were forced to.

If it is a law, then they should follow it. The best option was to leave, but what would you do if someone attacked you thinking that you might want to be the new king?

Djidji said:

You see the city being deteriorated and people drinking (most likely) alcohol, because everyone do as they pleased. Even the colosseum is in a sad state.
There may be some people who are richer than others, but it's not a two-layers society. (Top citizens vs low class in the 03's)

You can't be sure of that. Either way, I was just stating that there are poor people.

Djidji said:

Why would you feel anything for him? He's no more than the bad king who kill his own family to ascend on the trone and create the current laws. He just reaped what he sowed.
Why would you have more or less sympathy for the king than the thief in the previous episode?

I never said you should feel sympathy for the king. I meant that you should feel some kind of "Yes! He got what he deserved!" feeling, so maybe the viewer can reflect on if revenge was right or not. Or something like that.
Oct 15, 2017 4:22 PM

May 2015
SaitoInu said:
EGOIST said:
Looks like he did though. Jokes on you.

Except he's only four episodes in. And the Coliseum arc starts at 6. So...

My point still stands though. An opinion ≠ a fact.

Oct 15, 2017 5:24 PM
Jul 2013
Kittens-kun said:

My point still stands though. An opinion ≠ a fact.

It's not an opinion. Drastically cutting parts of any story will heavily decrease it's quality.
Oct 15, 2017 5:41 PM

May 2009
EdHaku said:
Djidji said:

not because they were forced to.

If it is a law, then they should follow it. The best option was to leave, but what would you do if someone attacked you thinking that you might want to be the new king?

They can follow it without killing other. It's not because agressing people is permitted to become the king that you have to do it.
The one who are attacked even though they don't want to fight are the same as the ignorant travelers. But, if they show no harm, maybe they can succeed in leaving. Kino just transformed the country into a giant colosseum if you think about it. Change the citizenship right to "becoming the king", and it's the same. You can see that as a revenge.

EdHaku said:
Djidji said:

You can't be sure of that. Either way, I was just stating that there are poor people.

Yup, I just wanted to say that all the citizens got the same rights, contrary to the 03's where only the top citizens could live "outside". (Not really the same society then.)

EdHaku said:
Djidji said:

I never said you should feel sympathy for the king. I meant that you should feel some kind of "Yes! He got what he deserved!" feeling, so maybe the viewer can reflect on if revenge was right or not. Or something like that.

Well, you said: "Sure, then I won't feel anything when the king dies or feel any sympathy on Kino when she kills him." that's why I say so.
Usually, you're asking yourself if the laws of a country are fair or not, what are those limits and so on. Here, you can wonder if the laws he chose to establish are fair or not, and then if it was right or not to "suffer" such a fate due to it.

SaitoInu said:
It's not an opinion. Drastically cutting parts of any story will heavily decrease it's quality.

In my opinion, they sticked to the concept of the chapter adapted (from the LN, which is the original story here), and cut the less important parts to fit in a 24min format.
DjidjiOct 16, 2017 1:49 AM
Oct 15, 2017 8:35 PM

Jul 2015
Well... this took one hell of a nose dive (not in a "this anime isn't good" sort of way), the last place sounded kind of bad but turned out pretty great, this place just sucks. Though watching Kino kick ass like he did was entertaining as hell and that ending was absolutely beautiful. KING GOT FREAKIN DESTROYED. And he deserved it too.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 15, 2017 9:39 PM

Apr 2015
SoraSenpai said:
brikkiblakk said:

Well that's your taste and thats fine. However it's just your opinion (and some others) that have had the same one when it comes to this anime being sub-par and thats okay.

I for-one have seen nothing wrong with these first two episodes. They have been enjoyable and fun to watch. Plus the animation is great so there's that as well.

Yes tastes are subjective and that's "fine", but that's what scares me.

And no the animation isn't good. It's been standard cheapo anime crap animation. Nothing special about it at all.

I mean your'e not the only one who likes it so don't feel like I'm only complaining about you personally, Im just trying to explain that there are "objective" quality indicators to any form of media.

Do yourself a favor and watch the colosseum in 2003 Kino. you will be blown away by the vastly better storytelling and animation....
Oct 15, 2017 10:17 PM

Jan 2013
Why are some still comparing this to the anime 2003 version is beyond me. This is an adaption like the 2003 anime version of the novel. Not an remake of the 2003 anime. smh.

GoingInside said:

Some of us like myself unlike you actually paid attention to the episode. You failed miserably and pressed the play button thinking it had nothing to it and I haven't even watched the 2003 version and the novel which says a lot on what I think of your arrogant comment. I can't stand hypocrites. Also, he is not a guy but a girl which if by your comment is true that you watched the original adaption of the novel you failed on that as well.
radleOct 15, 2017 10:22 PM
Oct 16, 2017 1:27 AM

Dec 2011
Dear me... it's really exhausting to see Kino threads get flooded by pretentious elitists raising the 2003 anime on an imaginary pedestal without being able to substantiate their claims beyond such vague words as "deep", "philosophical", "characterization", and so on.

The art + animation quality is one thing to complain about (it was indeed a step down, IMO), but it's clear to see which posters in this thread are stubbornly keeping their nostalgia glasses on (determined to hate the episode even before it began), and which ones bothered to evaluate this episode on its own merits.

I didn't know that the Kino fandom could be so toxic... *sigh*

Oct 16, 2017 4:03 AM

Jun 2007
i started to watch this open-minded but still i really really don't like it after all. the dude who was throwing tanthrum in some thread below months ago was right - lerche did ruin the show and i see it now. the funny thing is, were they to use a darker colour palette, it'd be more 'acceptable'. the palette used creates the wrong mood, totally out of place, and also that feels cheap, like a sign of your typical silly mediocre show.
see you, space cowperson . . .
Oct 16, 2017 4:26 AM

May 2009
Sorvarin said:
the funny thing is, were they to use a darker colour palette, it'd be more 'acceptable'. the palette used creates the wrong mood, totally out of place, and also that feels cheap, like a sign of your typical silly mediocre show.

Or maybe the brighter colors suit more the idea of "The Beautiful World" which contrasts to what really happen in this so-called beautiful world.
Oct 16, 2017 4:34 AM

Jun 2007
Djidji said:
Sorvarin said:
the funny thing is, were they to use a darker colour palette, it'd be more 'acceptable'. the palette used creates the wrong mood, totally out of place, and also that feels cheap, like a sign of your typical silly mediocre show.

Or maybe the brighter colors suit more the idea of "The Beautiful World" which contrasts to what really happen in this so-called beautiful world.

I like the idea, sadly it doesn't work. for me at least. but glad you are able to enjoy the show :~]
see you, space cowperson . . .
Oct 16, 2017 4:42 AM

May 2009
Sorvarin said:
Djidji said:

I like the idea, sadly it doesn't work. for me at least. but glad you are able to enjoy the show :~]

I rewatched the old Colosseum after this episode and see how the colors changed. In the 03's version, the world just seem sad, so of course it had some impact to the sad fate of some countries, but it also dramatizes the all thing.
Anyway you will or won't like it depending of if you want the world to appear in a beautiful (and normal) state which will be opposed to the different morals, or if you want the world to look sad and "terrifying" to assure it is, but not always.
Both are right, I just happen to like the brightest. ^^
Oct 16, 2017 7:13 AM

Nov 2014
Garbage episode, rushed af, no development or side characters shown, we didn't see anything from the king like the original so the kill wasn't satisfying at all, the new rule didn't make any sense either and Kino just doesn't feel like the Kino from the original. 2-3/10
ZaFsiiOct 16, 2017 10:05 AM
Oct 16, 2017 8:13 AM

Apr 2017
Inb4 saying the 2003 diverted the subsided cryptic plot from the novel is far more interior than how this source material is very faithful from the LN ver, Which added extra scenarios but less redeeming characterization of Kino's identity. Apart from the 1st volume series of Kino, This is the least weakest chapter to be intended to pull. Due to context it has a bit of darker tone and aesthetic foreshadowing between how the country began fall for the last 7 yrs. Most of the stuff were all added to the 2003 version to clarify Kino's motivations (and to flesh out Shizu before the match with Kino). By reading the source of it's chapter and realized that Kino and Shizu did NOT meet before their fight.

Quite interesting how they managed to shrink the previous Colosseum arc which was two episodes prior into a single iteration. They cut off Kino's travelling to the slums, The current king's demented play, and shortened many of the battle scenes to just cutting of edges by surrender to him. The bloodbath at the end was cool though but it sidestepped a huge part of why Kino made that wish. In the original there was a key point for her in that only high class people should fight to be king until she made her own rule that touching most of the lowlife citizen in this country are false contradiction "which also meant disqualification".

Condensing the episode made it snappy sure, but lost to me a lot of what sympathy and motivation Kino otherwise had in the original. Sure, there's bias in this episode, and Kino isn't just being an observer, but she never intended to just observe especially with how the country is run, and especially with the anger she has in her from the couple. Losing characterization for that creepy ass king also diminished for me the effect of actually killing him. He's supposed to be a deranged man in the original shown through his play but here we only know about him from Herme's passing dialogue.
-HippySnob-Oct 16, 2017 8:42 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Oct 16, 2017 9:28 AM

May 2009
ZaFsii said:
the new rule was absolutely garbage and didn't make any sense either

In what her rule is different from the rules of the Colosseum?

RnDNEET021 said:
They cut off Kino's travelling to the slums, The current king's demented play, and shortened many of the battle scenes to just cutting of edges by surrender to him.

The slums and king's play were not in the original story (I meant the LN here), but they did shorten the battles.
Oct 16, 2017 10:02 AM

Nov 2014
@Djidji

Everybody has a fight and last man standing is the new king? What is even the point in being a king of a country with no people, felt like it just didn't have anything to back it up and there was so many other things Kino could have done to save the country, while the rule was the same in the original we got to see how the country was as a whole so you really felt how bad of a country it was and you also got to see the people in the slums that Kino added a rule for so that it made more sense
Oct 16, 2017 10:48 AM

May 2009
ZaFsii said:
@Djidji

Everybody has a fight and last man standing is the new king? What is even the point in being a king of a country with no people, felt like it just didn't have anything to back it up.

Yep, everyone has a fight and the last man standing is a new citizen.
Same rules than the colosseum.
If a large majority if citizen don't want to kill each other, they just have to get rid of those who want to, or leave the country.
The last king killed all the people who could stand in his way. It would be the same here.
Also, what's the punishment if someone doesn't follow Kino's rule inside the country? They could rebuild the country with new rules, no?
Don't you think something's wrong if a law force you to do something and you choose to do it despite everything? If an other traveler asked the king to die, would they have apply the rule?

ZaFsii said:
there was so many other things Kino could have done to save the country, while the rule was the same in the original we got to see how the country was as a whole so you really felt how bad of a country it was and you also got to see the people in the slums that Kino added a rule for so that it made more sense

Why would Kino save the country? Who? From what? Why?
It is NOT like in the 2003's version with low-class and top-class citizens here. All the citizens are equals in term of rights. There isn't an apparent inequality like in the 03's here. It's like [u]a all different[u] society here.
She just transformed the country in a Colosseum as an act of vengeance.
What rule would you have choosen?
Oct 16, 2017 1:57 PM

May 2015
What was that?.. I'm at a loss. The first episode wasn't that bad and clearly showed potential. But now in comparison with the story that already had been done there is just too much contrast. Where are all the fights? Why are the competitors shown as random people and why am I supposed to care about this prince and his dog who just appeared suddenly at the end.

And although I'm certain it already had been said multiple times but this new polished design doesn't suit Kino at all. And by Kino I don't mean only the character but the anime itself as well. Everything is so... I don't know, like bits and pieces of serious book were published in a glamorous magazine. Does feel so off.
TenOct 16, 2017 2:00 PM
Oct 16, 2017 3:32 PM

Nov 2011
brikkiblakk said:
SoraSenpai said:

Yes tastes are subjective and that's "fine", but that's what scares me.

And no the animation isn't good. It's been standard cheapo anime crap animation. Nothing special about it at all.

I mean your'e not the only one who likes it so don't feel like I'm only complaining about you personally, Im just trying to explain that there are "objective" quality indicators to any form of media.

Do yourself a favor and watch the colosseum in 2003 Kino. you will be blown away by the vastly better storytelling and animation....

If you want to go by comparison then yes the 2003 Colosseum Version was better but I still enjoyed this one as well.
Listen to my podcast

Follow my twitch.

Oct 16, 2017 3:54 PM
Jun 2016
I am in the same boat as others, the first version was so much darker and perfect. That makes it hard to "love" this episode instead of "like" it.
Oct 16, 2017 7:24 PM
Jul 2018
What's her problem? XD I mean, she doesn't FORCE the people to fight in the end, but she provokes it on purpose. I really don't know what to think about that / the question is: are you allowed to do such things, if you are just a traveler and not familar with the country? And then she is judging about "revenge is ludicrous", but intervenes with the business of other countries that much as a traveler.
Oct 16, 2017 7:33 PM

Jan 2010
Maneki-Mew said:
What's her problem? XD I mean, she doesn't FORCE the people to fight in the end, but she provokes it on purpose. I really don't know what to think about that / the question is: are you allowed to do such things, if you are just a traveler and not familar with the country? And then she is judging about "revenge is ludicrous", but intervenes with the business of other countries that much as a traveler.

As a traveler, you don't have to adhere by any rule set in that particular country. It's more of good manners, being respectful, and not accidentally getting yourself killed by violating a country's laws, if evident by the first episode.

Others in the thread, myself included, have opinions on Kino's actions in this story, the portrayal of the country, and the story itself, but I'd recommend thinking about this episode as Kino acting on a whim, assuming it's possible to apply the "humans can be irrational" justification to all of this.
ShockedOct 16, 2017 7:36 PM
Oct 16, 2017 8:18 PM
Jul 2018
Shocked said:
Maneki-Mew said:

As a traveler, you don't have to adhere by any rule set in that particular country. It's more of good manners, being respectful, and not accidentally getting yourself killed by violating a country's laws, if evident by the first episode.

Others in the thread, myself included, have opinions on Kino's actions in this story, the portrayal of the country, and the story itself, but I'd recommend thinking about this episode as Kino acting on a whim, assuming it's possible to apply the "humans can be irrational" justification to all of this.

I absolutely understand this. So pls, don't mind me too much. XD
It's not so much about the law per se. For me, it's more about the thought: does the girl think, she has the right to do this? Especially provoking the people there, after she killed the king. Then she said that revenge is ludicrous. If you have done so much damage the day ago, you should shut up about other people and their reasons at least, I think. XD
It's just my personal pet peeve sometimes, when the MC walks by and provokes / interferes with other people's business. ^^" Depends on the situation and how they are doing it ofc.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2017

137 by milou1050 »»
Apr 14, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2017

103 by XpldFrFantasyLnd »»
Apr 6, 11:51 AM

» video game....

Videogamecoper - Dec 14, 2023

3 by ralfisagreatguy »»
Apr 3, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2017

133 by AdityaRizkiS »»
Mar 11, 12:52 PM

» Which one is better? 2003 or 2017?

SgtBateMan - Sep 13, 2021

9 by Videogamecoper »»
Dec 14, 2023 5:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.