Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 11, 2017 10:13 AM
Jul 2016
So, just for a little introduction, I have a brother who I share a lot of interests and hobbies with, and when he comes back home for holiday, we have fun times together, however I feel like we aren't that close.

Now here comes the problem.

I started becoming interested more about him because I felt like he didn't like to share much about his personal life with me, even though I would say I am the closest sibling he has (we have two other siblings), so I started stalking his profiles online to learn more about him. Only through learning about his MAL forum posts, is how I actually learned A LOT more about him. There were a lot of things that I never knew, and he hadn't said anything about it at all, even when they happened years ago. Only through doing this, was I able to learn more about him, and it made me quite upset that this probably was the only way that I was going to know about these things.

I understand that some guys aren't open about everything, but as his younger sister, I want to help him and be there for him when I can, because I feel like we aren't that close. When he's at university, we never even talk at all, except for a few occasions such as religious celebrations, and etc. He is the person who has tried to help me and he has lead me to be the type of person I am nowadays, even though I don't like to admit it at times, I have heavily followed his footsteps - whether he likes it or not, I am who he made me to be. I just feel like I owe him back a lot.

I am very open-minded to any advice, so go ahead and type.
geonpidOct 11, 2017 10:17 AM
Oct 11, 2017 11:26 AM

May 2014
Yeah I would leave him be, unless its a matter of his personal safety I would respect his privacy. If you want to be closer to them, try the irl approach, just being upfront might be the best way.
I've been here way too long...
Oct 11, 2017 11:45 AM

Mar 2016
The internet can be a very personal and private place for someone, knowing they are anonymous, which is why he uses it to be more "out there" with himself. Mentioning to him that you invaded his privacy by reading his things wouldn't be a good approach. It can be difficult to start a more personal conversation in an offline environment, but you can begin by asking questions that lead to the statements he's made on the forums.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Oct 11, 2017 11:48 AM

Nov 2016
Well to be honest with you even though you're family it doesn't entitle you to know absolutely everything about him and I think you should try to respect his privacy instead of stalking him online.

In stead I think you should try to initiate more real-life contact with your brother, ask him questions and try to get him to open more up to you naturally. He probably already knows that you care a lot about him :)
"In this world, evil can arise from the best of intentions. And there is good which can come from evil intentions"
Oct 11, 2017 4:26 PM

Jul 2012
D'awwww.. you make me wish i had a little sister. Sorry if i offend but i think it'll be nice to be totally open and carefree with each other.. trust him by letting him in on ur personal life but not forcefully, Maybe gradually over time like start telling each other about pesky lil relatable things to laugh and chuckle over.. Once you's both start realising how free and comfortably personal you's can be around each other (even through distant communication) it'll build naturally from there. At the moment he seems like he's just shielding you (in that brotherly caring way) maybe he's afraid that he'll break that 'fun image' that you's share with one another, who knows. but yea more general, honest and less guarded communication from 'both' of you overtime.

This is just outside advice btw, not a 'do this or it won't work' procedure lol, this how me and my girlfriend became so close, we built our realtionship like we we're just bestest bff's, sharing eeeeverything all secrets and inner thoughts, but we both worked at it.. The main thing is tho, is to not 'expect' some sort of 'trade concept' (i'm doing my part now you do urs) scenario to take place. share because you want each other to know, not because you's want the other to return the favor.

I really hope you and your brother get closer and less guarded with each other *Group hug*

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.

Oct 11, 2017 4:33 PM

Sep 2014
This is like the epitome of a perfect Imouto. Maybe you should start watching Ero Manga Sensei or Oreimo to get some ideas. Or maybe play a VN with an Imouto route, just don't do the non-PG13 stuff. They can give you pretty good advice.
Oct 11, 2017 4:41 PM

Oct 2012
I'm a hell of a lot less gaurded in my online interactions, but i try to keep my IRL and Online persona's seperated to some extent. I regularly post thoughts i'd rather not have friends or family know about because it would only breed contention. Some people use the internet as a way of venting out things they could never say. I don't know what kind of information you've gleened from your brothers posts, but I'd be extremely careful if i were you on how you approach it.

Unless its something extremely important, important enough to potentially breech his trust in you, I'd leave sleeping dogs lie, and try much more subtle and roundabout methods to deepening your relationship.

I'm speaking as someone who is close to my brother, he knows things about me that my parents don't. He understands my throught processes and how i feel more than they, or many people do. But there are certain sides and thoughts that i'd rather not show him, or anyone. I can easily say i'm closer to him than i am with my parents. But when it comes to deep-level thoughts and emotions, there are people online that know me more than even him. Sometimes you don't want to show your weaknesses to the people close to you. Some of its pride, some of it is just that you don't want to saddle an extra layer of burden on the people you care about. The internet provides a certain level of distance from others, even if you're close to someone at a near intimate level.

Oct 11, 2017 6:39 PM

Feb 2016
Being upfront about it is definitely the best way in the long run. If you make a habit of stalking his social media, it can lead to an unwanted reaction from him. Even though you're his family, I wouldn't say that makes you entitled to know everything about him imo.

Some are more open than others, and even when they're not, they don't always have to be. Respecting his privacy sounds like the best thing to do, or at least relaying how you feel about all of it to him. I wouldn't be so thrilled if someone was prying into my social media presence without my knowledge tbh.
Oct 12, 2017 5:30 AM

Aug 2013
That's adorable really. It's great you're so concerned and that he's helped you become the person you are today. :)

Maybe you could buy him a nice gift; something that you think he would want and value at the moment, and then take the initiative to go do something with him that day. I'm sure after such a great day together you'll be closer. :)
Oct 12, 2017 6:14 AM

Jun 2015
Hey there STALKER!!!
sit down, hav e dreenk with us!!!

now that you know yer brother is a maltard, weeb/otaku. and since yer on mal, you'know how this goes...

you've gotta apply rule 34 the next time he drops around town. And if he "resists", rape!

acting super cutesy and moe will also be an added advantage

and of course telling him about how much you love incest hentai and that you mal-stalked him and knoes all his secret too.

the imoto forcing the oniichan is the best way to get closer to your older brother.
#incestforthewin
Oct 12, 2017 10:33 AM
Jul 2018
I have two siblings... one I am close too but we have diverse interests. The other, we are able to agree to disagree to get into the same activities, like anime and such, but we aren't close at the same time. So I'm basically on my own. My advice would be to just suggest a night or day out of each week /weekend where the two of you can spend sibling time together, whether it be something like an outing ... like going for something to eat, a movie, or just shopping or whichever. Or just planning a social anime binge once in awhile. As much as these options are plausible to work out, I do find that it's hard to set an exact day or time to do something unless it is prearranged. Because interest in those activities can vary week to week.
Oct 12, 2017 11:18 AM
Jul 2016
Thanks all for the advice, I understand that I know it wasn't right to stalk his online profile, but I just got a bit curious and I certainly don't think that it was right of me to do that in the first place.

When it comes to talking about personal issues irl, it's quite hard for me to do that - especially with people who are quite close to me. I don't think I can even talk to irl friends about my deep problems without worrying so much.

I'm just comparing the relationship between me and my brother to others' quite a lot - my online friends have their siblings on their discord channels and share some of the same friends and such, however my brother doesn't allow me to even add him on some gaming networks. I just feel like we could kinda be like those people, y'know?

Anyhow, thank you again for the advice! I love the community on here; you guys are awesome :)

(P.S INCEST IS NOT WINCEST, THANK YOU VERY MUCH)
Oct 12, 2017 3:21 PM

Oct 2012
geonpid said:
Thanks all for the advice, I understand that I know it wasn't right to stalk his online profile, but I just got a bit curious and I certainly don't think that it was right of me to do that in the first place.

When it comes to talking about personal issues irl, it's quite hard for me to do that - especially with people who are quite close to me. I don't think I can even talk to irl friends about my deep problems without worrying so much.

I'm just comparing the relationship between me and my brother to others' quite a lot - my online friends have their siblings on their discord channels and share some of the same friends and such, however my brother doesn't allow me to even add him on some gaming networks. I just feel like we could kinda be like those people, y'know?

Anyhow, thank you again for the advice! I love the community on here; you guys are awesome :)

(P.S INCEST IS NOT WINCEST, THANK YOU VERY MUCH)

I have my brother in some of my gaming groups, but not all of them. If you want him on some of yours, I think there should be a way to approach that issue, but just keep in mind that he might not want you in any of his. I hang out with several different crowds online, I try to keep the majority of them seperate. I've probably played the same MMOs as my brother since 2005, so the friends we've made through that we share, but I have my own interests and he has his.
Oct 12, 2017 3:28 PM
Jul 2018
a very strong force is here at play...
this young padawan got a confused boner while reading OP post
Oct 18, 2017 11:49 AM

Sep 2016
Being his younger sister, you should respect his privacy more than anyone else. There might be a reason as to why he hasn't told you about himself. In situations like these, it would be much better to just ask him directly but be careful that he doesn't find out that you stalked him online or else it will worsen your relation with him and only make him more closed off.
It is heartening to see a younger sister be so concerned about her brother but you should not intrude on his life. Just be upfront and everything will work out on its own
Oct 18, 2017 4:03 PM
May 2012
aw, you're so sweet, but he's probably doing it for a reason. just respect him and things will work out. i'm guessing that you are still young. time will tell.

More topics from this board

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - 6 hours ago

5 by Zarutaku »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - 11 hours ago

20 by Zarutaku »»
32 minutes ago

» For everyone who has signed up to this site using Protonmail, and doesn't use that address for anything else

vasipi4946 - 10 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
41 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 7 hours ago

11 by vasipi4946 »»
1 hour ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 4 hours ago

0 by _Nette_ »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.