Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Would this be appealing to someone who watched Macross Frontier only and loved it?

New
Oct 9, 2017 11:31 AM

Jul 2012
I watched Macross Frontier many years ago and loved it (movies especially last onewere OK as I recall) and I was wondering if anyone can say that this new Macross would strike on some levels like Macross Frontier?

Hoping there would be some references to Frontier because I didn't see any returning characters from it.
Feels like losing all five senses &
Maybe not able to have thoughts,

Enjoi...
Nov 19, 2017 10:34 AM

Nov 2016
Though this is probably late, I'll give you a reply.

Just like you would've experienced in Macross Frontier, there are times where references are made and, having not watched the previous series you probably won't have any idea what is going on, a prime example is 'deculture' and the power of songs. Without having seen previous Macross, you may not fully understand references to that and other references made throughout the movie, as well as the showing of 3 different important places from past at the end of the series (Macross Earth, Planet Eden, and Macross 7)

However, most if not all Macross so far, have been made to be able to stand alone, meaning that while watching the others will defintely keep you completely informed, it isn't necessary to assume that you must watch all the prior shows before this.

If I were to be honest, you could easily compare Macross to say, stand up comedy on TV. While you don't have to watch the previous episodes/previous showings to understand whats going on, sometimes references are made to those prior episodes, or to other real life events that having watched previously would help your understanding.

tl;dr Macross series can stand alone, watch it however you'd like (but most of the older ones are still quite good!)
Nov 19, 2017 11:36 AM

Dec 2015
For the basic references, it's very easy to "heal yourself": Do you remember Love? is a wonderful movie in itself and presents a reimagined version of the original story (with most of its modifications, designs surviving in later series). Not saying that the first series was bad.
Nov 19, 2017 12:12 PM
Jul 2018
Not a huge fan of the Macross titles outside SDF-1, Mospeada, and the New Generation (Robotech title, I know, sorry), but go for it if you want to.
Feb 11, 2018 11:44 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Yes, you would probably enjoy it, at least the first half of it. It is very similar, although Frontier is the better series. Better characterizations, plot and some serious antagonists that don't make you facepalm every time they open their mouths. It also has a more 'diverse' soundtrack by Yoko Kanno. Delta is all about Walkure.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 16, 2018 1:24 AM

Jun 2014
kUshPandA_ENJOi said:
I watched Macross Frontier many years ago and loved it (movies especially last onewere OK as I recall) and I was wondering if anyone can say that this new Macross would strike on some levels like Macross Frontier?

Hoping there would be some references to Frontier because I didn't see any returning characters from it.

There are some references from previous Macross as always. But Delta is not very good to be honest.
Sep 20, 2018 1:55 PM

Dec 2015
I'm fan of Macross Franchise , but Delta...Man, was the worst Macross I've seen watched.
Aug 31, 2022 12:42 AM
Oct 2014
It probably will, the both series are similar in theme and easier to watch for modern viewers compared to older installments, I liked them both.
I'd say the music in Frontier is overall better, but Delta still has some memorable songs.
procionAug 31, 2022 12:59 AM

More topics from this board

» Movie vs TV Series

Reshiram_IX - Jan 16, 2023

9 by donnascherer »»
Mar 16, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 31, 2015

447 by Zekkenshin »»
Jan 1, 10:09 PM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2016

246 by AdrianShephardt »»
Mar 7, 2023 9:01 AM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

35 by SilverCrono »»
Oct 17, 2022 9:10 AM

» Macross Delta underrated? ( 1 2 )

SaltyShoebill - Apr 26, 2016

66 by procion »»
Aug 31, 2022 12:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.