Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 8, 2017 10:33 PM

Aug 2017

As you know guys, It is the highest grossing anime film of all time
A real person who loves lots of 2D persons

Oct 8, 2017 10:35 PM

Sep 2014
For the visuals it's worth watching but everything else about the film is pretty mediocre.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Oct 8, 2017 10:39 PM

Jul 2017
Overated. Yea it's good, but overrated.
Oh yea also keep your hand on the PrtScn button on ur keyboard they got some nice eyecandy scenes.

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Oct 8, 2017 10:42 PM

Oct 2013
if you really just want something with good visuals and you've already watched everything else that fit that requirement then yeah sure
Oct 8, 2017 10:43 PM

Aug 2016
It was alright overall. Visuals though are great, so if you like something pleasing to the eyes, then you should watch.
Oct 8, 2017 10:47 PM

Aug 2015
i dont see why not. its roughly 1.6 hours, im sure you could find time to check it out.
Oct 8, 2017 10:54 PM

Jan 2013
It's the absolute pinnacle of mediocrity.
It looks good but it is so braindead that it's laughable.
Oct 8, 2017 10:57 PM
Jul 2018
I'm not a fan of the movie. I find it pretty boring, because the characters and romance are bland
But according to the majority, they love it because it gives them this..."nostalgia", "longing" feeling?
I don't get it, but if that's your kinda thing, you'll probably like it.
I mean it's no more than 2 hours, and I don't think anyone really dislikes this movie.
Oct 8, 2017 10:59 PM

Jul 2017
i think it is at least good.
Some people really like it and watch it multiple times, may be you will be one of those.
Oct 8, 2017 11:00 PM

Jun 2016
You seem to like "casual" anime, you could probably enjoy it.

My real opinion is the same as @Kize & @CondemneDio though. Makoto Shinkai is a talented artist but when he tries to do five or six major roles on the production team the writing quality always tanks first and that's what happened here. I'd say that Koe no Katachi is better (even if it still has too many issues for me to actually recommend) and that Kowarekake no Orgel is twice as emotional despite being four times shorter and is actually worth watching.
Oct 8, 2017 11:13 PM

Apr 2017
Well it is short, so there is that. Agreed with all comments, very overrated stuff, but not bad. Also very nice visuals, but that is about it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 8, 2017 11:17 PM

Jul 2014
I for one really liked it. It's not really exceptional in any way, especially considering the directors previous work, which in my opinion has been better.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Oct 8, 2017 11:22 PM
Jun 2017
the film was ok to me, not ground breaking, but great overall
the visual and sound is of course amazing
Oct 9, 2017 12:05 AM

Dec 2016
It's just a nice, entertaining movie to watch Sunday morning, before having lunch, not that really special.
Oct 9, 2017 12:08 AM
Oct 2015
If you have some free time and willing to invest it into an anime then, yeah feel free to check it out.
Heckle was here...
Oct 9, 2017 12:13 AM

Aug 2017
I JUST WATCHED THE MOVIE, AND, AND... IT WAS, IT WAS... I HAVE NO WORDS :').
A real person who loves lots of 2D persons

Oct 9, 2017 12:22 AM

Nov 2014
It was a good solid show with nice visuals. Sure it's being praised to the heavens and is overrated, but still good nonetheless.

I don't particularly like the fantasy elements of shows that are mostly supposed to be set in what appears to be normal life. It always allows that leeway for the writing to slack off by just introducing EVEN MORE fantasy elements. First body switching and what not, which was fine because it's just an introductory premise to the entire unfolding of the event. But eventually it became a pretty complex scenario that added more fantasy elements just for that "Oh damn, plot twist!" moment and to induce more drama.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Oct 9, 2017 1:00 AM

Apr 2016
Yes it is. Makoto Shinkai's movies never disappoint. This one wasn't an exception either. Go ahead and watch it.
Oct 9, 2017 1:02 AM

Sep 2017
You can check it out if you want. You may like it. It just seems average to me.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 9, 2017 1:02 AM
Jul 2018
uhhh yeah the fuck it is, stop wasting your time and watch it.
Oct 9, 2017 1:17 AM

Nov 2014
Yes. Even if you don't like it, at least you will have your own opinion and won't jump on bandwagon.
Oct 9, 2017 1:45 AM

Jun 2009
YESSSS I mean it's up there for a reason so ignore most of the people who have negative things to say about it and judge it yourself :)

I love the artwork, the fluid animation, the soundtrack, and the plot. I think it's worth watching.

DON'T ever go into watching something with HUGE expectations though because even if it's good you might not enjoy it as much as u could've since u'll spend time analyzing everything and criticizing any faults that it may or may not have

The plot isn't super original but I wouldn't dismiss it as mediocre. The pace of the movie is nice too (not too slow where u fall asleep but not too fast where u're like wtf just happened)
Oct 9, 2017 3:43 AM

Sep 2017
I think it is. The story isn't the best but visuals are just stunning. I love the backgrounds.
Oct 9, 2017 3:43 AM

Feb 2013
some people actually paid for watching it, so i guess it's worth watching it then
Oct 9, 2017 3:49 AM

Jun 2016
Well, looks like the thread is over everyone, OP decided it was down his alley, watched it, and liked what he saw.

Unconcerned said:
Nah I bet all the acclaim and ratings are lies. Best to watch something sure to be good with a lower rating 6.0 or lower for sure.

This tbh. The Fire Emblem OVA is a good, quick watch. The only reason people rated it low is because of the massive void left over from never being able to experience it again for the first time.

I mean why watch something when the creator himself started telling people not to watch it so much. Winners don't do drugs.

Chronicle said:
YESSSS I mean it's up there for a reason so ignore most of the people who have negative things to say about it and judge it yourself :)

DON'T ever go into watching something with HUGE expectations though because even if it's good you might not enjoy it as much as u could've since u'll spend time analyzing everything and criticizing any faults that it may or may not have

While I don't agree with your first statement (surprisingly enough some people give things negativity because they actually don't like them. Reading a well-written review's complaints is a good way to determine if something's worth your time, especially if they say the things you consider most important have issues), I agree with the second one.

Expectations are basically assumptions, and those can easily boil down to judging the book by it's cover. You can analyze the work all you want, but it's dishonest to analyze it for what you wanted instead of what it truly is. Kinda ties back to reading the reviews first, it can help give you a hint of what's there and make you drop whatever assumptions the cover and synopsis gave you.

EDIT: I can actually give an example with the posts here. You have a lot of people here praising Your Name's visual quality, even if they ended up not liking the movie. It's a fairly good sign that if you consider visuals to be an important part of your anime watching experience, then you'll like watching Your Name. Meanwhile you have a fair few complaints about the story, with some citing specifically the writing quality as lacking. There's your sign that if you have an analytical mind that you're going to like taking this movie apart (and not in a "good" way) a whole lot more than taking it as a whole. The inverse is also true; if you don't care too much about visuals then there's an element to this that you're less likely to appreciate, and if you rolled your eyes at the thought of hearing people complain about writing quality then that issue is much less likely to affect your enjoyment.
TK8878Oct 9, 2017 3:58 AM
Oct 9, 2017 3:54 AM

Jan 2016
That's #2 at MAL. So, why not?

Tbh it's overated.
Oct 9, 2017 3:59 AM

Jan 2009
that fact that its popular and it sold well says yes its worth watching

but i just have no motivation to watch it
Oct 9, 2017 4:04 AM

Feb 2016
I didn't even watch it but the amount of people forcing the 'plothole' thing is hillarious...
Oct 9, 2017 4:10 AM
Jun 2015
Its mediocre movie with good visuals, its not a good romance and has a substandard plot. The 3d animation is mediocre by anime standards but stiff by western standards. The rotation shots are choppy and stiff like the opening roof top scene.
Oct 9, 2017 4:14 AM

Apr 2011
It's a Makoto Shinkai movie. Go into it expecting good visuals but mediocre everything else, you're at least guaranteed your money's worth. If the "everything else" turns out to be better than mediocre... well, more power to you.
Oct 9, 2017 4:18 AM

Jun 2017
yes..definitely it's well written and enjoyable..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 9, 2017 7:33 AM

Jun 2016
Thread moved from Anime Discussion Board.

Removed off-topic posts.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Na wa. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

checkdafool - Jul 3, 2016

1387 by Hphone »»
Apr 23, 4:51 AM

» The only couple that could say they’ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

JuliusKingsley0 - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.