Forum Settings
Forums
Oct 9, 2017 6:52 AM
God, this would be a longgggg list if I actually went to town so I'm going to try to keep it short and sweet. Try ;)

These are the character designs I strongly dislike.However, I know that if I want to watch anime in general I have to tolerate them. :(

Huge Eyes and Unrealistic hair colors- I strongly prefer realism for both. For the eyes especially I wish designers would stop giving mostly just antagonistic characters normal eyes. The good guys can have them to, and still look innocent for godsakes.

Moe

Chibi

Loli and Shota's- Basically grown or teen characters looking like children.

Tattoos- the character is going to look trashy and unattractive to me. Even with a mystical story reason, like Allen from dgrayman, it still takes some attractiveness away for me.

Unrealistic breast size- So tired of seeing this sexist as hell design. Which goes hand in hand with...

Scantily clad female and male characters- It's another design choice that needs to die in a fire. For the men the less I see of a design where they permantely have no shirt on the better. For female I'm tired of seeing them walking around in panties/bras or leotards. Also tired of skin tight body suits or their too big breasts hanging out. Basically a woman's design will mostly be sexualized even though the setting is unrealistic for it. I wish character designers would get it though their heads that a girl can be attractive with their clothes on, and with a normal breast size just fine. For example Mikasa and Annie from AoT say Hi.

Less of this shit.

I'll never watch it,but why is this military main character dressed like this?

A 15 Year old girl from My Hero Academia.

More of this.

[spoiler[/spoiler]

School Outfits; especially in military/apocalyptic settings etc- For some strange reason the men are dressed accordingly,but the women are loli's or dressed like japanese school girls. Example: Seraph of the End.

Crazy hairstyles- Spikes everywhere etc...

Permanent blush spots on characters faces

Pizza Chins

Noodles-Example:Code Geass. I liked the show and Lelouch's look is iconic,but...

I don't mind bishōnen men,but there's such a thing as going to far.It's very unappealing when they have longer hair than a woman or if they look so feminine that I can't even tell if they are male unless a deep voice is coming out of their mouths. Example: Teen Victor from Yuri on Ice. Traps in general. Just No.

I don't like rapunzel hair for women either.

Steroid Muscular- bodybuilder or borderline. I like lean and muscular.Buff is fine to as long as its normal looking. Example: Bertolt (Aot), Reiner(Aot), The main cast of Free.

Anime where the character designs are particularly appalling.

Examples:

I have zero interest in watching One Piece, but what I've seen of the character designs they are atrocious.

Naruto- another show I refuse to watch, but my god the designs are hideous.

Full Metal Alchemist- Very ugly.

Madoka- Chibi looking and unappealing. Supposed to be a serious anime, but it's downgraded by a vile design choice.

Clanaad- dropped this crap for other reasons,but the character designs were butt ugly.

Soul Eater

Dragon Ball franchise- I will never watch,but my god the character designs are an abomination.

My Hero Academia- I'm currently watching it now. I really want to drop it, and the ugly character designs are not helping its case either. I especially feel like I want to avert my eyes when everyone is in their superhero outfits. It's like some bad parody of the superhero genre. Although that's not saying much since that genre has always been ridiculous. The lead for example is ugh. Although I adore him so far as a character. The blond asshole has a nice normalish design, but then his superhero costume is fugly etc. Don't get me started on Allmight in both his regular and hero forms. I just can't take this show seriously because of the artstyle. Plus the premise itself is something I'm generally not interested in. I'm bored basically, and the designs are repellent.

Character Designs I Like:

CGI- Definitely love it when the designs are in the vein of FF Advent Children or Kingsglaive. I was happy with the designs of Gantz: O and Captain Harlock as well.

So pretty. She looks so human.

That's how you do a villain design.

Yuri on Ice- Examples: I loved how Yuri looked in both his regular and Eros designs.

Victor- short haired adult version. Silver hair notwithstanding he has a very yummy design. Overall the entire cast was nicely done.

Tokyo Majin- Hated the show, but I remember liking the design for the main boy, and his brown haired friend I think.

Rin Tohsaka(Fate/Unlimited Blade Works) - ignoring her big eyes I overall like her design.

Also one of my favorite scenes of her.

Free- slight pizza chins, and an unrealistic hair color or two, aside I overall liked the character designs of the cast.

ReLife- character designs were very close to my overall ideal.

Guilty Crown- Shu/Guy/Yahiro and Ayase

The Irregular at Magic Highschool- Attractive main character. He's a boring super garystu sure,but still an attractive design though.

Allen Walker and Tikki Mikk-D-Grayman

Gilgamesh(Fate Zero/Unlimited Blade Works)

Aot- Season two's designs were especially good. 4 years did wonders.

Sebastian Michelas( Black Butler)

Yamoto (Say I love You)- he has a good looking design.

Basically I like character designs to look realistic, but still slightly stylized. The more a character starts deviating from that the more I'm not going to like it, and a bad character design can absolutely make me not watch an anime at all. Basically if I can easily see this person existing in the real world then I'm probably going to like the design.
Modified by fantasynight04, Oct 17, 2017 9:07 PM

Oct 9, 2017 6:54 AM

I don't like red hair, does that count?
I also don't like loli designs very much either. Those are creepy.

Other than that, I'm pretty tolerant of most art styles. As long as they don't look like Aku no Hana characters, I'm mostly alright with anything.

Oct 9, 2017 7:42 AM

Dislike: Characters with no unique traits or outstanding anythings (Kirito in SAO)
Like: Characters that stand out and have very defining but not jaring features (Killua in HxH)

Oct 9, 2017 9:04 AM

lines are definitely important, good lines that have harmony are key or clash in the right way

The characters are either stylized well or have decent/acceptable proportions that dont look utterly shitty. Even if they're stylized skinny I can deal with it, but CLAMP / Geass & DxD proportions do drive me a little insane. The girl from Occultic Nine for example, is so ugly and disproportionate, I think that her face looks rather malformed in comparison to the other characters' and I find her breasts disgusting, as they look like they'll snap her back at any second. She's a poor man's imitation of what's already a bad copy of a typical moe girl, except with all the facial features of a deformed baby whose mother drank when she was a fetus. With DxD, as much as their bodies repulse me, even as a bisexual girl, their proportions gross me out- unlike Ryoka or whatever the fuck her name is from Occultic Nine, their faces at least look consistent, albeit not my favorite example of art.

The show is colored well, and the colors fit the presentation of the show itself. I find that when I fed a manga for a series first I get really irked if there's an anime adaptation and I feel the colors for the show look cancerous (Niijiro Days, as an example). There are some shows I'm really not necessarily fond of watching or wanting to watch because I don't like the color palette (Aikatsu! gives my eyes AIDS)

Whether simple or complex, the characters all have at least a slightly different look and feel to them. I find lookalikes in anime all the time, almost down to the letter, but even they have small distinctive traits about them. I don't mind seeing similar looking characters across different art styles at all.

I'd prefer to at least find one character semi attractive. I don't like looking at things I consider unpleasant or ugly. There are shows that have a mixture of subjectively attractive/unattractive characters but the main reason I haven't watched ping pong and dropped aku no hana is because the styles simply don't appeal to me as much as other series, rotoscoping creeps me out, new eras CGI being used for primary character models, and not just dance or action sequences creeps me out a bit, etcetera.

I like cute girls and not overly effeminate, but still handsome bishounen types. I prefer dark hair to light, usually brown or black, there are some exceptions. I can acknowledge a design I consider attractive, and rebuke one i consider unattractive. I really am a "deviated" person, because I honestly find a character like Shizuo Heiwajima to be very bland looking without the accessories, and Izaya Orihara to be honestly, outright ugly compared to the rest of the males in that series. I don't find Kyoani moe girls to be creepy looking at all, I love how thorough KyoAni's design is. I don't hate all of A1's art, I quite liked the character designs for oreimo & eromanga even if the series themselves either sucked or were lackluster, Kanzaki Hiro is a good artist. On top of that, I can appreciate fluid, surreal art that still looks good, such as Tatami Galaxy. I'm just not a fan of there being too many ugly character designs in one show by standards of what I consider "ugly", there has to be at least something slightly attractive about the presentation, unless the presentation is intended to be grotesque, and even then, it's pushing the envelope.

Favorite studios would probably be: KyoAni, Shaft, BONES, IG, Madhouse. JC staff also does good work and I love their Raildex designs.
Least favorite would probably be Pierrot, Toei, DEEN. DEEN has been improving lately when it came to Rakugo at least but a lot of their series were notorious for animation fails. DEEN also animated Junjou & Sekaiichi, both which have one of the most hideous animation styles I've seen. Other two are self explanatory.
I'm always on the fence about A-1 because they have a mixed reception artistically, and that's reflected in some of their shows that I've watched. Some of them are well animated and well designed, some of them are mediocre, and some are shit. Mixed bag.
Modified by unamerican, Oct 9, 2017 9:21 AM

maybe i sold my soul
mortality takes its toll

Oct 9, 2017 9:17 AM
Top 3 anime for character design: Rosario Vampire, Tegami Bachi, Hunter X Hunter

Oct 9, 2017 9:27 AM

I appreciate good character designs, but I don't hate any. I just can't, every character design is more or less unique in its own way.
Made in Abyss character designs are really good imo. Really loved Nanachi and Ozen and Reg.
I think some of my favorite character designs come from Studio Trigger and Shaft.

This season also has great chara designs in Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou, Mahoutsukai no Yome, and Konohana Kitan.
Modified by Manyaa_-, Oct 9, 2017 9:34 AM

Oct 9, 2017 9:39 AM
ScoptOriginal said:
Top 3 anime for character design: Rosario Vampire, Tegami Bachi, Hunter X Hunter
you might notice also that these are all on my favourites list. That's because, with the type of anime I like and what I like about anime, the character design can make or break them. Some (admittedly not great because I still like them, though I kind of have to force myself) examples are Twin Star Exorcists - Rokuro just isn't angry enough foe what happened to him - and Boku no Hero Academia - the characters are pretty cool honestly, and invis girl is best girl, but a great many of them are unimaginative designs paired with an ugly art style. Not to mention Mineta, an interesting concept ruined by perhaps the worst personality I've seen.

Oct 9, 2017 9:47 AM

The Best

The Worst

Something that do human proportion right is great in my eyes
Modified by podetus, Oct 9, 2017 9:55 AM
Because we're stupid that we love to have fun

Oct 9, 2017 9:56 AM

Lamune and Full metal Panic. Like the more realistic style art when a 17 year old look like 17 teen and not like ten. Aka moebloobs. (still watch them)

Oct 9, 2017 10:02 AM

I dislike extremely unrealistic or very unclean designs... Though the character design doesn't keep from watching the anime... It just bothers me

Examples of Character designs I didn't like

Made in Aybss
Code Geass
Jojo's Bizarre Adventures
Naruto Shippuden
Clannad
K-On

One Piece is a hit or miss for me... The male body designs are good but the female waist line to boob size ratio is just shit...

Oct 9, 2017 10:08 AM

Was i the only one that like made in abyss design? Normaly i dont like moeblobs and that they are like 10 and survive is kind of bull. But liked the art together with the violance and setting in that show. It fitted someway in that show.

Oct 9, 2017 10:13 AM

Naoki urasawa's character designs are great

I like bleach's character design too among lots of others

Oct 9, 2017 11:13 AM

Sweanime said:
Was i the only one that like made in abyss design? Normaly i dont like moeblobs and that they are like 10 and survive is kind of bull. But liked the art together with the violance and setting in that show. It fitted someway in that show.

The design is kinda Chibi style so i do understand why people hated it. Akihito tend to use a lot of Chibi style when i came to design children and teen .
But that is doesn't not mean Akihito don't know how to design that just his prefer style.
If you look at all the White Whitsle, you can see that they are very well design.
Because we're stupid that we love to have fun

Oct 9, 2017 11:15 AM

I've always been a fan of Gainax / Studio Trigger's art style and designs ever since I was a kid. I've also grown to appreciate a lot of 80s art styles.

As for designs I dislike, a big one comes to mind...

Dark skin with blonde or light hair.

I think it's an ugly combination and reminds me of blonde white girls with hideous fake tans.

I find it even more frustrating because they tend to go for this color scheme over and over rather than dark skin and black or brown hair, which looks soooooooooooo much nicer.

I'm also not a fan of Arita's design from Accel World. Not because he's fat and short, but because his design clashes too much with the rest of the show's art work. It's like someone made a chibi doodle on a nice, flashy anime wallpaper, and it confuses and frustrates me. There's not really any reason for him looking like that story-wise or artistically, other than to make him look like more of a loser than he already is, and it just raises more questions. Is it meant to be a joke? how does this guy look to the rest of the cast? Do they think he's a little person or a child? His size and proportions go against everything in the show.
Modified by PurpleVespa180, Oct 9, 2017 11:30 AM

Oct 9, 2017 11:38 AM

As long as the oppai is realistically, I mean speaking of the lines of F-cup and the waifu is kawaii as fuck, fappable and if loli +maid outfit, I'm sure it'll sell.

Oct 10, 2017 8:08 AM

I don't have any dislikes, but I do have a preference. The more unrealistic and fashionable it is, the more it appeals to my eyes.

AKA, Jojo and characters like Papillon (Busou Renkin) and Hisoka. And oh, I really like eye-catching poses. I have been interested in Statues for a long time.

Do tell me if you have found clothings like these.

Oct 11, 2017 1:47 PM

To me, the most important thing about character design is that it'll be expressive. The design needs to tell me something about these characters, else why make them this way?

After that, the designs also need to look good on the eyes. Danganronpa is the best example of both worlds. Each design can tell you about its characters, while each also just looks pretty damn cool.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things

Oct 27, 2017 11:33 PM

I dislike sailor moon style... I just find it irritating, especially the eyes

I love Noriko Hayakawa's and Kojima lalako's style. I find their sketchy style realistic and carry a lot of emotions.

Oct 28, 2017 4:34 PM

personally i hate styles like Clannad or Lucky Star or even that new series Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryouka. People always tell me to give them a fair chance because "once you get past the art, its actually really good" but...bad art is such a big thing to look past... I just can't help but think shows with bad art can't have a good plot if the creators can't be bothered to put out something that looks decent

Oct 28, 2017 4:52 PM

Dunno, i don't get bothered too much by art styles to be honest. There are some exceptions like the Handshakers or Berserk 2016 ones tho, those are horrible.

Oct 28, 2017 9:06 PM

Most posts here seem to be talking about art style rather than character design (or maybe I'm mixing the two). It's somewhat understandable since art style and character design are closely linked. To me, art style is how something or someone is drawn (big/small eyes, dotted/pronounced nose and lips, moe/macho, etc.). Character design is more about individual elements. I'll use Naruto as an example. As shown below, Naruto's design includes: blond, spiky hair, blue eyes, whiskers on cheeks, orange jumpsuit, sandals, short stature, and the leaf forehead protector:

The image above is drawn in Kishimoto's art style. In contrast, the below images feature Naruto with the same character design but other authors' art styles:
Takeshi Obata (Bakuman)

Eichiro Oda (One Piece)

Tite Kubo (Bleach)

There are even shows that have different art styles in various episodes or seasons. Below are examples, featuring same characters, of shows with different art styles:
Moyashimon Season 1(Left) vs Season 2 (Right)

Idolm@sters Cinderella Girls (Left) vs Cinderella Girls Theater (Right)

Moving onto character designs, some of my favorites are Nadeko Sengoku and Hotaru Shidare. Besides Nadeko, the Monogatari Series has a lot of great character designs like Shinobu (multiple outfits and ages), Kaiki, Ononoki, Ougi, etc.

Nadeko (Warning: Plot Spoilers)

Hotaru

Oct 28, 2017 9:13 PM

I like the character design from Taiho Shichau Zo(You're Under Arrest)

Oct 28, 2017 10:06 PM

I've never really had a real problem with design in anything i've seen thus far, granted it most likely hasn't been as much as others here. That being said, there was an 'era' of character design that slightly bugged me. I refer to it as the Uma Thurman design. If you're not aware of the joke surrounding her, it's that her eyes are too far apart. The shows that make me think this are the ones like Clannad, Shuffle!, Chobits. There were also shows that gave me pause with their character design, but that i grew to appreciate. For example; Katanagatari.

As others have said, i don't really mind the design in anime as long as the show is good in itself.
What's your rush now? Everyone will have his day to die.

Oct 29, 2017 8:04 AM

Dreams_of_life said:
What I personally don`t like is when the design doesn`t fit to the person.
Like a mother around 40 that looks like she still goes to high school or a high school character that looks like a second grader. Same goes for the behavior, but that`s a different topic.

Having seen a number of people who didn't look their age, I am okay with designs like this.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]