Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Welcome to the Ballroom
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 8, 2017 3:56 PM

Jun 2016
mimimikachuu said:
TheDoggoneGirl said:
A lot of anime characters ruined my experience on watching anime (like Rei in Highschool of the Dead, Mayuri in Steins;Gate) and it seems like Chinatsu is joining the list.

Completely agree. I do not like Chinatsu at all. I really enjoy this show, but Chinatsu pisses me off. She's like Ballroom e Youkoso's equivalent of Samurai Flamenco's Mari.

On the contrary, I actually don't mind Akira as much.

Okay episode, wasn't as enjoyable as the first half.

Holy crap. Glad I'm not alone in this. I just can't seem to find a reason to like her. Ugh.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Oct 8, 2017 4:48 PM

Apr 2014
Chinatsu's character kind of reminds me of Asuka from NGE, both really confusing tsunderes.

also those new students of Hyodo's mom look like they're in their 40's lol......the guy especially looked like a wrinkly prune
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 8, 2017 7:36 PM

Oct 2017
Unconcerned said:
I personally don't get why people like Chinatsu so much, maybe she will grow as a character and be something I can like in the future but her attitude/personality in general are the worst of the girls in the show.

Totally agree. 20 chapters down since that competition in episode 14 and I don't see any (positive) improvement on Chinatsu's personality. In fact, she's worse, she bitches over little things, act like a brat and I don't like her one bit. I don't understand why other people like her. I guess I'm one of those in the camp that doesn't find her likeable. To each his own I guess.

(Imagine how I just created an account to respond to this.)
Oct 8, 2017 8:05 PM

Dec 2012
I never understand why anime fans put tsundere characters like Chinatsu on a pedestal when there are much more endearing characters like Mako. Is it because they empower people with this twisted idea of what confidence is? Or because they like the challenge of winning her heart than the character itself? Or are people just masochists? Just because they have an edgy past and treat people abrasively but sometimes have cute moments doesn't make them good character. I don't think there's anything new or complex to them and it doesn't make them feel flawed in a realistic way. I don't know think anyone would want to be friends with someone like that in real life. Why not have a character that is nice but also has flaws? Would be interested to hear why people like these these type of female leads that seem be in pretty much every anime that has romance.
Oct 9, 2017 1:58 AM
Oct 2015
When Chinatsu and Tatara have perfect synergy together that's when it'll feel so nice as a viewer with all these developments.
Heckle was here...
Oct 9, 2017 7:14 AM

Dec 2013
They went from zero to a hundred in such a quick time, never expected them to blast through to the first novice qualifications so quickly after Chi-chan announced (albeit onesidedly) that she was going to partner with Tatara to beat Akira to the Mikasa Cup.

Tatara being the better man at the competition and deciding to follow Chinatsu's movements to make things smoother was probably a necessary concession to earn her trust, but sooner or later he's gonna take the reins of this relationship.

Aaaaaand of course they wouldn't win that easily. Marisa sensei's pupil is that much better afterall (just begs the question as to why he would have to start over in the novice elections though, seeing as Hyoudou's injury didn't downgrade him or anything).
HESTIAAPPROVES
Oct 9, 2017 9:23 AM

Apr 2017
After watching more than half of this, I can safely say... the manga is far superior to the anime, if some people don't enjoy the anime, I suggest you read the manga.
Oct 9, 2017 9:58 AM

Mar 2014
lvl22 said:
After watching more than half of this, I can safely say... the manga is far superior to the anime, if some people don't enjoy the anime, I suggest you read the manga.

I recommend the manga too. I know they want to animate the latest arc from the manga so they are rushing through the chapters. But the removal of small details/character interactions is not doing the characters/story any favors.
Oct 9, 2017 10:27 AM
Jul 2017
zaena said:
am i the only one who absolutley loves chinatsu?

Chinatsu's awesome. She has a bad attitude, but she's got a good reason: she's unable to do the sport she loves unless she either pairs up with some old creepy guy, or pairs up with Tatara-kun who is not as good as she is. Not to mention her former partner is always ridiculing her. And that's besides the fact that Japan seems to think ballroom dancing is inherently weird, when to Chinatsu it's just a fandom and something that she likes doing. I admire Chinatsu's spirit and look forward to seeing how she works through these issues.
...but then again, I unironically like Warau Salesman.
Oct 10, 2017 12:07 AM

May 2017
A-tom said:
Achaman said:
another shit episode this second cour or whatever is doing a good job at making me hate this show
Why don't you just drop it already, the timing is perfect. The rest of the episodes will obviously be about exactly what you hate.

Tatara x Chinatsu > Mako > Shizuku

Boi drop it coz Tatara x Chinatsu is canon AF otp Chinatsu (best girl)

What do you like about Mako (selfish and a brocon) and Shizuku (edgy AF) anyway?
Oct 10, 2017 4:51 AM

Mar 2014
TsundeReaper said:
A-tom said:
Why don't you just drop it already, the timing is perfect. The rest of the episodes will obviously be about exactly what you hate.

Tatara x Chinatsu > Mako > Shizuku

Boi drop it coz Tatara x Chinatsu is canon AF otp Chinatsu (best girl)

What do you like about Mako (selfish and a brocon) and Shizuku (edgy AF) anyway?

There are some manga readers who hate chinatsu. I wonder how they feel about the 2nd half? Did they still enjoy it despite hating the female lead?

My experience was different from most. I liked chinatsu from the very start and she's the main reason why I didn't drop the manga. I didn't like how the female characters were treated in the first half. Chinatsu's introduction changed everything for me tbh.
Oct 11, 2017 1:21 AM

Sep 2012
Another good episode !

Very interesting thing, Chinatsu leading. I think she won't let Tatara lead unless he shows her he's a good dancer ^^ matter or pride (and being stubborn XD) for Chinatsu, at least that's what it seems. Time to see if Tatara has what it takes to be her dancer partner and a good leader !

And their new rivals, the students of Hyodo's mother !! °° That should be very entertaining !

Next ep, plz ! Quick ! ^^
Oct 12, 2017 5:46 PM

Jan 2014
I never thought I would ship it, but wow I ship it. Especially after how much of a bitch her ex-partner was.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 13, 2017 11:26 AM
Sep 2012
PoLoBreak said:
I never understand why anime fans put tsundere characters like Chinatsu on a pedestal when there are much more endearing characters like Mako. Is it because they empower people with this twisted idea of what confidence is? Or because they like the challenge of winning her heart than the character itself? Or are people just masochists? Just because they have an edgy past and treat people abrasively but sometimes have cute moments doesn't make them good character. I don't think there's anything new or complex to them and it doesn't make them feel flawed in a realistic way. I don't know think anyone would want to be friends with someone like that in real life. Why not have a character that is nice but also has flaws? Would be interested to hear why people like these these type of female leads that seem be in pretty much every anime that has romance.

Awright, I'll try to answer you with my own opinion. I honestly not sure why I like some things I do like but here I go. xD

I like characters who can drive the plot to an interesting direction (if that makes sense? Sorry, English isn't my first language). I don't watch many sports anime but even if a character like her is not new in romance animes, this is new in the sports genre. Most popular sports is focused on males so one reason people like this, because it involves females. It takes on a new direction.
They also change the main character's partner constantly and how do they overcome a certain problem is what drives the plot and it's entertaining to watch. I think this is where Chinatsu shines. She has a unique ability to be a leader which is the opposite of Tatara, even has more confidence than him, so it's interesting to see where this goes, how Tatara will got his resolution. Mako and Shizuku doesn't really have this much of a challenge or impact on the main character. Only Chinatsu by this far that can make him to have to think hard on how can they win this with this kind of pairing. Her presence made Tatara more challenged than before. Again, it makes the show more entertaining to watch. That's why she's my favorite character on this show.

I apologize if I explained it messily, I hope I can still get my point across. This is my personal opinion, but feel free to discuss this with me! :D

EDIT

Oh, by the way, I do not want to be friends with characters like Chinatsu at all. I liked her for different reason.
..I don't even know why did I edit this just to confirm this.
AuthraOct 13, 2017 11:30 AM
Oct 13, 2017 7:27 PM

Dec 2012
Shina_Hoshi said:
PoLoBreak said:

Awright, I'll try to answer you with my own opinion. I honestly not sure why I like some things I do like but here I go. xD

I like characters who can drive the plot to an interesting direction (if that makes sense? Sorry, English isn't my first language). I don't watch many sports anime but even if a character like her is not new in romance animes, this is new in the sports genre. Most popular sports is focused on males so one reason people like this, because it involves females. It takes on a new direction.
They also change the main character's partner constantly and how do they overcome a certain problem is what drives the plot and it's entertaining to watch. I think this is where Chinatsu shines. She has a unique ability to be a leader which is the opposite of Tatara, even has more confidence than him, so it's interesting to see where this goes, how Tatara will got his resolution. Mako and Shizuku doesn't really have this much of a challenge or impact on the main character. Only Chinatsu by this far that can make him to have to think hard on how can they win this with this kind of pairing. Her presence made Tatara more challenged than before. Again, it makes the show more entertaining to watch. That's why she's my favorite character on this show.

I apologize if I explained it messily, I hope I can still get my point across. This is my personal opinion, but feel free to discuss this with me! :D

EDIT

Oh, by the way, I do not want to be friends with characters like Chinatsu at all. I liked her for different reason.
..I don't even know why did I edit this just to confirm this.

That's a good point. I think that is good for the plot, but I prefer to watch characters that are likeable at the same time.
Oct 14, 2017 6:31 AM
Sep 2012
PoLoBreak said:
That's a good point. I think that is good for the plot, but I prefer to watch characters that are likeable at the same time.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. She can be irritating sometimes. However, personally I can overlook that.

I wonder if my reason also the same as the others? But people might like her because her bad attitude isn't coming out of nowhere, she has a reason to be like that. Same case why we might like a villain; because they have a good reason to be a villain. Not some villain who just forget their own reason why they did the deed. *winkwink*
Oct 14, 2017 5:51 PM

Jun 2016
mimimikachuu said:
TheDoggoneGirl said:
A lot of anime characters ruined my experience on watching anime (like Rei in Highschool of the Dead, Mayuri in Steins;Gate) and it seems like Chinatsu is joining the list.

Completely agree. I do not like Chinatsu at all. I really enjoy this show, but Chinatsu pisses me off. She's like Ballroom e Youkoso's equivalent of Samurai Flamenco's Mari.

Woah, let's not get too crazy. Mari is the worst, while Chinatsu doesn't seem that bad.

I was annoyed with her in this episode, but it made sense considering she knows how to lead and is good at it. Plus, she's not good at following, so when you combine the two she has some serious issues to work through too.

I do like that Tatara is realizing just how bad he is. He may have some amazing moments, but he's not at the same level of his friends and is fine with not truly leading. Chinatsu will help him grow and she'll also have a partner that will think about her as well. They match up nicely in that sense, even though they're polar opposites in personality. Mako was great too, but she's just like Tatara and he wouldn't have realized just how weak he is if he stayed with someone like her.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Oct 26, 2017 7:56 PM

Jan 2013
Enjoyable episode with interesting dynamics. Disappointed how little of the final dance was shown. Didn't get a good idea of how it played out.
Oct 29, 2017 12:10 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
I have the same opinion the Hyodo´s mother.... Tatara needs change!!!!
Nov 26, 2017 2:20 AM

Jan 2015
I don't like Chinatsu being the leader I hope it changes later.
Dec 12, 2017 1:13 PM
Jul 2018
This episode kinda felt like a dancing genre visual novel. Except the dance part, everything was really okay for this episode.
Dec 20, 2017 2:26 AM

May 2013
lol Akira saying she's smol and more feminine, but Chinatsu looked way more gorgeous in a dress than she does :3

Soooo.... why not have Fujita follow and Chinatsu lead, then? They'd stand out right from the start which is good lmao and probably fare off in dance better. Although I would prefer Chinatsu to follow after all the mean things Akira told her about being too manly to be a follow -.- which is BS anyways

The idea Fujita has is great and all, but professional dancer judges like Hyoudo's mama will be able to tell what's happening :/ and you won't know who will accept the idea and who will deduct from it
Jan 24, 2019 2:20 PM
Sep 2018
Ah, the light dawns.

I've only gotten as far as the opening credits.
But, the speculation on Chinatsu's prior experience is most enlightening.

Two possible solutions to this dilemma:
1) Tatara learns how to be a dominant lead that Chinatsu can work with comfortably given her experience as the lead, or
2) Chinatsu leads. Tatara follows. She dances boy, he dances girl. Easy peasy.

Given that this is Ballroom dance in a straight environment, the latter isn't going to happen.

Which is unfortunate.

Of course, I'm biased.
You see, while straight, I did square dancing for some time with a LGBT Square Dance club... and danced girl.
It was a blast.
None of us cared what gender the partner was, just that they were comfortable dancing that part, and could lead or follow well.
If you danced boy, you led, and if you danced girl, you followed; boy and girl had nothing to do with your actual gender, they were just convenient labels that none of us had a problem with.
But... the straight clubs and competitions don't allow that.

Oh....

A quick glance at the last couple of prior comments leads me to believe that...
While the straight community may not technically allow it, they're going to attempt it anyway.
And see if they can get away with it.

I'm _really_ looking forward to seeing how this pans out!
Back to viewing, ASAP!

Oh. My. God.
9 minutes in.
IT IS ON!
Vengeance is a dish best served cold.
That... b*tch of an ex-partner pushed every button Chinatsu had, thinking she could get away with it... only to have it backfire in the loveliest way possible.

Chinatsu *really* loves to dance.
Tatara *really* loves to dance.
Neither is comfortable in the traditional role their gender casts them in on the dance floor; Tatara didn't realize this until he had the experience of following a strong lead, and realized that he wasn't doing anything resembling that as a lead, he'd been incredibly fortunate to date in who he danced with to do as well as he had when he's *not* really a dominant type person.
And his attempts to learn to lead that way aren't going well.
True partners... maximize each others strengths and minimize each others weaknesses.

Back to viewing!

Heh.

Marisa has it all wrong with her insinuation.
He's not *making* her do all the work, he's acknowledging reality, and adjusting his actions to reflect that.
His decision prior to the last dance was sheer pragmatism; my prior speculations were off base, except for one thing; Tatara acknowledges reality, and doesn't fight battles that cannot be won.

You don't give orders that you know won't be followed.
Yes, part of him really does want to be the lead... but being successful in competition is of greater import.
So, if your orders won't be followed... don't issue them in the first place.

Chinatsu *can't* follow Tatara's lead; their personalities don't mesh properly for that to occur.
But... Tatara *might* be able to "anticipate" *Chinatsu's* lead well enough for them to excel.

I've probably still got the dynamic wrong.

I look forward to the following episodes.
WeasalopesJan 24, 2019 3:10 PM
Jul 2, 2019 6:17 PM
Jul 2014
Ugh how did those two partner up and dance together if they despise each other?.... You could feel the tension raise as soon as Chi entered the cafe ksjdfjd lol and of course that's Tatara's new job. (He's so hardworking uwu)

Chi is so cute for trying to not love dance and trying to reject it lol but can't

I'm glad she has found this new resolve to beat her old partner and dance with Tatara even though it's out of spite lol

This anime sure moves fast ^^'

Tatara canont win omg sjlfkjd first Chi just moves freely on her own without regard for him, is rude and says she doesn't need him to lead, and then when he decides to let Chi do her thing like she asked, he gets called out by Hyodo's mother for making Chi do all the work LIKE COME ON poor Tatara....

They'll be second for sure though and make it to Class D.
Oct 14, 2019 8:02 AM

Mar 2015
I actually like Chi-chan, she'll definitely come good!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Apr 15, 2021 10:29 AM

Feb 2014
Akira is a total biatch, but she is also totally hot, is every girl in this show gonna be top tier?

This new antagonist looks like he came out of Hajime no Ippo with his gloomy looks.
Jul 13, 2021 12:14 PM

Mar 2016
Chinatsu is annoying! i was kinda in enjoyment with this type of characters back then, but seems that now i hate it. and the girl from the cafe also is a b*tch. what's wrong with her? the conversation between these two was disgusting!
brrrr, i need to chill

upd: okay, okay, i watched episode till the end. maybe Chinatsu is okay (still don't like her personality) comparing that short-haired girl. why does she need to be so pesky?
matilda_chanJul 13, 2021 12:23 PM
Oct 4, 2023 7:56 AM

Nov 2022
I kinda get where the blonde chick is coming from. Tatara always let's his partner do all the work. Not only this time with red head but mako pretty much did all the work in their dances. For example with the "Flower and frame" thing. Mako carried the mc to 7th place in that competition.

But on the other hand the blonde chick could've been nicer about it. The Mc is still learning and red head wasn't cooperating. Mc just did his best with what he was given.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

173 by Copie »»
Apr 9, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Naruleach - Jul 2, 2017

125 by ThorPalma »»
Jan 1, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2017

59 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 30, 2023 10:34 PM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

57 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 30, 2023 12:16 AM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2017

51 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 28, 2023 9:41 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.