Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think will be the next "big three" of shounen anime/manga?

New
Oct 6, 2017 6:02 PM

Sep 2017
I don't know if this kind of post has been made before, probably yes, but well...
Since Naruto and Bleach ended, the only one of the "big three" that remains is One Piece.
But, considering only shounen manga/anime from this "generation" (2010+) and that are still running, what do you think are worthy of being called the "new big three"?
My bets are on Boku no Hero, Shokugeki no Souma and Attack on Titan.

P.S: I'm not talking only about Shonen Jump's manga.
-HaltOct 6, 2017 6:06 PM
Oct 6, 2017 6:04 PM

May 2016
I think Attack on Titan's day has come and gone. One can only hope something less passé takes its place.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Oct 6, 2017 6:06 PM
Apr 2015
Boku No Hero , Sadly Boruto and either black clover or uq holder
Oct 6, 2017 6:24 PM

Dec 2014
In my opinion, there will be such titles in the form as the "Big Three" are no longer existent. The audience is constantly changing their taste - I mean, who would have thought 10 years ago that today's seasons consisted only of Isekai, Ecchi and Harem?

The audience makes the market, and at that point in time it was called for to create "more masculine" titles. Let us remember when NGE appeared - I don't want to count how many attempts were made to get this title. Or Gundam in the' 70s.

Also, the anime market was never really big like it is now. The companies have to plead for security, otherwise they have absolutely no chance to survive - as fierce as it has become.

In my opinion, the Big Three has been around for a long time - but especially one genre - Love Live and friends - the Idfolgenre. The classic Fighting-Shounen as we know it is now almost extinct - that won't be able to save any more Boku no Hero Academia, although this one comes closest.

*translation made by deepl. Too tired to write everything in english by my own.
Oct 6, 2017 6:30 PM

Jul 2017
Been placing HxH as one of the 'big three' candidates for so long now.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2017 6:34 PM

Dec 2014
AngelofDust23 said:

IMO for being one of the big three, there should be releases in a regular basis.
Oct 6, 2017 6:34 PM

Oct 2015
Does there need to be a Big Three? I mean that concept exists only in the West as popular mangas come and go while One Piece reigns supreme in Japan.

Anyway, as I see it the most popular shounen manga is currently One Piece, Attack on Titan and Haikyuu, with Attack on Titan on its way out due to the manga seemingly entering its final stages.

But if I had to guess you probably mean weekly shounen manga so I'm gonna say One Piece, Haikyuu and My Hero Academia for now. Black Clover sadly seems dead on arrival.
Oct 6, 2017 6:39 PM

Jul 2017
Endlosschleife said:
AngelofDust23 said:

IMO for being one of the big three, there should be releases in a regular basis.
I know. But we are talking about the mangaka of HxH. So of course,its going to be on hiatus.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2017 6:41 PM

Sep 2009
No. The internet, as well as franchises, are bigger now, than they used to be.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Oct 6, 2017 6:42 PM

Mar 2015
somebody need to explain to me why big 3 still relevant today....

MoonStar9 said:
But if I had to guess you probably mean weekly shounen manga so I'm gonna say One Piece, Haikyuu and My Hero Academia for now. Black Clover sadly seems dead on arrival.

black clover really didn't try to make a hardcore fanbase... it has really few fanservice or fetishes catering bait... it sales far below BnHA (BnHA was sold around 300K before anime, BC doesn't even break 100K until anime anounced)... what great is TOC rangkings.... kinda like hinomarou zumou (which even more extream cases)...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 6, 2017 6:43 PM

Jun 2017
I personally think it's a concept that died with its respective series.
I'm a shitposter for fun
Oct 6, 2017 6:45 PM

Sep 2011
We really need to retire the phrase big 3 already, it was something that exclusively referred to naruto bleach and one piece and it was a strictly western thing anyway. There doesnt need to be some trio of ultimates there's just really popular jump entries.

The faces of jump are probably just hero acadamia, neverland is quickly heading there, maybe souma, world trigger would be if it werent dead as fuck, and of course the everlasting one piece. Theres no need for some arbitrary number.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 6, 2017 6:47 PM

Aug 2013
The "Big three" is gone long ago and won't come back. The era of "battle shounen" is already over years ago. Yes, there are still manga and anime out there but nah, it won't ever be the same again.

AngelofDust23 said:
Endlosschleife said:

I know. But we are talking about the mangaka of HxH. So of course,its going to be on hiatus.

The only mangas that sell more than a million per volumes are One Piece and Attack on Titan and sometimes Hunter x Hunter tho rarely since its on Hiatus for like many times but still its amazing tho, other shounen manga barely or can't keep up with HxH's sales even if its Hiatus many times.
Oct 6, 2017 6:48 PM

Feb 2015
Hmmm... Boku no Hero Academia for sure... Shingeki no Kyojin kinda lost power since it waited too long for a second season, so that's unclear... Shokugeki no Soma is definitely a possibility... One Punch Man has a chance as well...
Oct 6, 2017 6:48 PM

Feb 2016
None. Big three refers specifically to Naruto, Bleach and One Piece because they were publishing together and were extremely popular at the time. It's over guys.
Oct 6, 2017 8:48 PM

Nov 2014
Nothing. The reason there were 3 anime so much more popular than others by such a huge margin was because of availability of anime in general.

Nowadays we don't really have to rely of the shitty services of licensors to get anime, which is why less mainstream anime wouldn't fall behind that much.

Anime with mainstream appeal are of course still more popular than other anime, but the fact that they aren't long running anymore means the momentum of popularity sometimes can't be carried forward when a new season airs. A chunk of mainstream anime audience comes from people who don't really watch anime, so aren't too connected to anime announcements. With long running anime you know every week that it continues, but with seasonal anime most of them don't even realise there was a second season airing. Once they realise too late, there just isn't the chatter and hype around it anymore, which to be honest is the main reason why these mainstream-only anime watchers feel like watching an anime.
BurningSpiritOct 6, 2017 8:57 PM
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Oct 7, 2017 1:19 AM

May 2015
I don't think there will be. These anime need a lot of time to create their large fanbase, and in the age of so many anime coming out and so many things competing for attention, it'll be much harder to do. It's not safe to try to make such an anime anymore.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 7, 2017 2:55 AM

Jul 2016
Nah. One Piece, Bleach and Naruto were called "The Big 3" for very specific reasons. It can't be replaced.
Oct 7, 2017 3:09 AM

Jan 2013
None, since the "big 3" was a one-off thing.
One Piece is going on, Naruto's zombie is shambling around, and Bleach is as dead as a rock.
Oct 7, 2017 3:46 AM

Jun 2017
according to shounen jump the big three now is one piece boku no hero and black clover... when one piece is over probably boruto is going to replace it..propably
Oct 7, 2017 4:16 AM

Mar 2015
-Halt said:
P.S: I'm not talking only about Shonen Jump's manga.

shounen jump is most popular magazine you like it or not...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 7, 2017 4:21 AM

Jan 2017
Pingu in the city will be in the new big 3 for sure
NOOT NOOT
Oct 7, 2017 4:33 AM
Oct 7, 2017 4:42 AM

May 2015
One Piece will outlive all 3 of the anime you mentioned. A lot of people (for whatever reason) assume that because Bleach and Naruto ended recently, One Piece will follow soon after but they couldn't be further off the mark. One Piece won't be finished for at least another 8 years imo and if Oda really wanted to flesh out the story, he could probably get another 15 years out of it. Easily.
There won't ever be another "big 3" again.
Oct 7, 2017 4:58 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Shougeki doesn't get the respect it deserves. So I'd be down for it to gain popularity but for a BIG THREE to occur all mangas and in sucession, animes have to reach a level of popularity all at the same time. BNHA is obviously there yet has no compeition which is lame. Only competitor is Black Clover but it can drop out anytime now. And with One Piece still running it kind of cock blocks any new blood to compete. We'll see what happens in a year or two from now, especially since BNHA is on a yearly release.
Oct 7, 2017 5:03 AM

Aug 2013
Maybe some will get branded as the "New Age Big Three", but i see no point.
We had the big ones, they just gonna stay there as a staple of the generic shounen genre and that's that.
No other anime will "ever come close" to them (with quotation marks for obvious reasons).
Oct 7, 2017 5:05 AM

Sep 2017
If cory in the house and neo yokio is added to the database then no contest.

Cory in the house, neo yokio, pingu in the city.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 7, 2017 5:13 AM

Mar 2015
Stripesu said:
Shougeki doesn't get the respect it deserves. So I'd be down for it to gain popularity but for a BIG THREE to occur all mangas and in sucession, animes have to reach a level of popularity all at the same time. BNHA is obviously there yet has no compeition which is lame. Only competitor is Black Clover but it can drop out anytime now. And with One Piece still running it kind of cock blocks any new blood to compete. We'll see what happens in a year or two from now, especially since BNHA is on a yearly release.

not gonna happen... BC is sold pretty low... they already passed by yakusoku no neverland... if anything, you should seek YnN if you searching for competitor...

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

26 by Ex-Aid »»
5 minutes ago

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 7 hours ago

12 by Ex-Aid »»
18 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

100 by FanofAction »»
23 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 4 hours ago

21 by Rinenka »»
26 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

43 by Ex-Aid »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.