Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Dies Irae Episode 0 Discussion


#1
Oct 6, 2017 9:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 112408
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Dang, that's quite the soundtrack.

So far, I kinda like this? Haven't played the VN before but the premise and introduction of the main characters has my attention. The world setting is kinda interesting with the war period taking place.

Quite a diverse cast of characters already appearing in this episode.
Some of the guys in the military can really be savage. The last few minutes of this episode gave me the chills. Damn. I hope the next episode gives more insight on the story thoguh since it felt like too many things happening at once.

Edit: seems the anime and CR listed as episode 0.
Modified by Stark700, Oct 6, 2017 11:28 AM
 
#2
Oct 6, 2017 9:28 AM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 76
HOLY CRAP THIS EPISODE WAS AMAZING!!
 
#3
Oct 6, 2017 9:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 44
I've never played VN version,but WTF is this?
 
#4
Oct 6, 2017 9:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 848
Animation is ass, but everything else was better than expected (style, voice acting, dialog, music...). I also liked some of the bits they added with Rusalka and Schreiber.

Maybe they will use all the budget on the final battle and we will get something worthwhile out of that fight, who knows.
 
#5
Oct 6, 2017 10:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 169
Animation wasn't the best, but that was to be expected, given the budget and the studio. But most casual audiences probably won't be too bothered by that. It might catch on with them, surprisingly.

IMO it wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either. Added Rusalka scenes were a treat (Especially for the VN readers. If only we got that Rusalka route eh?)
 
#6
Oct 6, 2017 10:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 37
For someone who didn't know the source, it was just ok. The story seems interesting, but this animation can't really hold up under action scenes at all. It's very much a wait and see show for me, but I can't see this getting over a 7.5/10 from me unless something changes.
I arrange video game sheet music for piano:
My arrangements
My (very few) anime arrangements
 
#7
Oct 6, 2017 10:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 14146
Another season, another bad adaptation of even worse VN, seriously did someone play this ? and even pay for this ? Jesus holy.


This episode was complete chaos from the start to the end, animation was "strange". Plenty of bronken edgy german language there with ridiculous german names (as it is common for nipponjin VN). Just terrible.
 
#8
Oct 6, 2017 10:43 AM

Online
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 13754
Sieg Heil xD

Decent first episode,sound and action were pretty cool, even tho the animation didn't match,but well,storywise it will hopefully make up for it.
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

 
#9
Oct 6, 2017 10:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 619
Yeah the animation wasn't good but we knew that was coming after those vids we've seen in the other thread.

Still, just seeing Reinhard and Co makes me happy.

There was one weird thing though, what was up with that monster in the ED?
 
Oct 6, 2017 10:46 AM
Hitagi's Pet

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 8507
Normally I enjoy any anime with ridiculous and over the top German names, but this was pretty dire. Story is all over the place and the animation was not very good for a first episode (shudder to think what it will look like by episode 7 or 8). And having Reinhard Heydrich as an MC in your anime is a very slippery slope IMO.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

 
Oct 6, 2017 10:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 740
WTF I just watched? I didn't play the VN.

It has a Nostradamus who sees everything and a blond overpowered dude . That's the only thing I could understand. The rest of the cast is doing confusing things.

Modified by AdrianRubinsky, Oct 6, 2017 11:15 AM
 
Oct 6, 2017 10:48 AM
Hug Addict <3

Online
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 28562
Well the animation was pretty underwhelming as we already knew it would be, but at least they're putting the fantastic OST of the VN to good use already. All things considered a pretty good start. I just hope they'll be able to keep it together and that the lackluster animation won't ruin all the fight scenes too much

A cuddle a day keeps the pouting away~
"Holding hands is just the first step to getting pregnant"
 
Oct 6, 2017 10:49 AM
Trickster

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1495
This was atrociously bad. Horrible animation, the story is all over the place with little to explanation on anything. I really can't find one redeeming aspect of this episode. It was just completely awful.

I'll stick around for one more episode, but wow this was just incredibly poor.
 
Oct 6, 2017 10:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 606
I don't get it, is this episode 1 or 0???
 
Oct 6, 2017 10:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 126
Not sure w/e showing us antagonist motivation, backstory first is good choice, instead of later in story, but its great I loved it, just makes me sad... in short hair he looks 10000times better and more omnipotent:), while with long he is a little turn off, especially now that they gave us short version /cries.
 
Oct 6, 2017 10:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 2488
Meh, nothing too extraordinary of an introductory episode but a decent one nonetheless. Soundtracks(ost) of this episode was great along with the revelations towards the end, but other than that everything fell a little short, the animation in particular was a relatively poor and failed to back up the intense fight scenes which is a disappointment.
At this moment, it's hard to say whether or not I'll watch the whole show but I guess I'll confirm it within the next few episodes if things go in the right direction of course.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni


 
Oct 6, 2017 10:53 AM
Kurumi's husband

Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 1231
I recently got the VN through a bundle for Steam but have yet to go through it, i noticed the bundle didn't include the 2 dlc's with it so i'll get those down the road when i get around to the VN.

But man as for the episode i quite enjoyed it and the whole Nazi Germany thing is right up my alley.

So many edgy shows this season i am enjoying it lol
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
 
Oct 6, 2017 10:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 5786
The last part was hella confusing but overall it was enjoyable enough.....I like this blonde Reinhart dude a lot, the man is a savage lol
 
Oct 6, 2017 10:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 898
This is Prequel in the VN also. When you start it you are just thrown into a battle that is seen in the anime. Then after som hours the VN "starts"

Anime visual is ok for a crowdfunding series. Only happy tho have som moving scenes to the VN.

The plot is good (in the VN)

And rusalka is nice ;) but the boobs got bigger and she is taller in the anime :/.

Ned a Rusalka route.
Modified by Sweanime, Oct 6, 2017 11:04 AM
 
Oct 6, 2017 10:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 520
As the most successful anime kickstarter in history, I have to say I was expecting more. Maybe when it actually gets to the main story things will pick up, especially in the animation department.
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:01 AM
something here

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 10801
Well, that was...not that good

the quality drops in the fight scenes were just wew

Though, 1 minute and 44 seconds in I could safely say this was meant for the crowdfunders and people who've already read the VN, seeing how it's pretty lax with the spoilers, so I guess as an animated fanservice of sorts for VN readers it's not that bad, but I can't imagine it working as a standalone
Hodor98 said:
I don't get it, is this episode 1 or 0???

episode 0
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:01 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 1202
Animation as expected. Awesome OST from VN. Basically, an episode that can only be truly understood and appreciated by those who read VN
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 898



This girl and Marie is love ;)
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 6004
Huh that last part felt comical and that choppy animation aside, it was pretty alright, better than what I expected. The anime watchers will be really confused tho. The dialogues were decent tho they skipped a few scenes, and great to see they are making use of that fantastic OST.

Oh and the character designs, fuck I will need to get used to this downgrade from lovely G-Yuusuke's art

Hekselka said:


There was one weird thing though, what was up with that monster in the ED?


Exactly, that confused me, new scenes I guess?
Modified by Frosty-, Oct 6, 2017 1:37 PM
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:06 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 2736
A decent first episode. Animation is not good, but the music is. Don't know what to say about the story. Reinhard is a pretty strong character. He just smacked those two girls away lol. They were doing a poor job. A lot more characters appeared at the end.
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:08 AM
something here

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 10801
Frostbytes said:

Exactly, that confused me, new scenes I guess?

Hekselka said:
Yeah the animation wasn't good but we knew that was coming after those vids we've seen in the other thread.

Still, just seeing Reinhard and Co makes me happy.

There was one weird thing though, what was up with that monster in the ED?

that's the OP actually
anyway golem is from interview i think
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 6004
Insertanamehere said:
Frostbytes said:

Exactly, that confused me, new scenes I guess?

Hekselka said:
Yeah the animation wasn't good but we knew that was coming after those vids we've seen in the other thread.

Still, just seeing Reinhard and Co makes me happy.

There was one weird thing though, what was up with that monster in the ED?

that's the OP actually
anyway golem is from interview i think


Wew so Masada is mixing it up? Not sure what to expect now
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:12 AM
something here

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 10801
Frostbytes said:


Wew so Masada is mixing it up? Not sure what to expect now


They have wilhelm and helga scene, too

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLXgxRxX0AEiXSJ.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLXg6ugW0AAQwQe.png
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:12 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 705
This wasn't very good. It was so chuuni and hard to follow.
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 6004
Insertanamehere said:
Frostbytes said:


Wew so Masada is mixing it up? Not sure what to expect now


They have wilhelm and helga scene, too

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLXgxRxX0AEiXSJ.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLXg6ugW0AAQwQe.png


I mean Helga appeared in the VN so maybe they are just extending her appearances
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 5287
So many mixed feelings on this as a source reader. The animation was shitty as expected, but even then some of those action scenes were really cringe worthy to see. Story-wise the presentation of this backstory was also a mess, especially for anime onlies, since the scenes felt out of place and very little context was given. This episode should also have been double length and that prison scene should have had way more relevance, with particular focus on Karl Kraft´s silver tongue and how he directed the conversation. Overall the pacing was quite rushed.

Nevertheless, it was still nice to see this cast of characters animated even with this low budget art. That Reinhard monologue scene near the end was easily the best part of the episode and the music did wonders to that moment. And talking about the OST, like expected, that is easily gonna be the best part of the anime and in this episode the tracks presented were quite solid why did they have to screw Thrud Walkure with that shitty remix though. I also liked the OP choice of visuals, especially with the way they artistically presented the characters (those monsters though lol).

Also that out-of place fanservice regarding the foreshadowing in the OP. They trully know who the best girl is and they went for it.

Modified by KaitonPT, Oct 6, 2017 6:06 PM


 
Oct 6, 2017 11:19 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 2760
this episode was absolutely fucking terrible!

The animation quality in the action scenes was DISGUSTING and the art style is nothing to brag about either.

trash tier show with low budget production values.

 
Oct 6, 2017 11:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 898
It´s like the anime of "grisaia no kajitsu" as a original reader you don´t watch the anime for perfect art and so on. You more or less watch the show tha have som movement of the characters and plot that you have read to fill you head with ;)
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1718
While I knew the animation wasn't going to be anything spectacular, this is definitely weaker than I expected. That's a pity because these scenes should have been a lot more intense. It's easy to see how much of a difference good animation would have made.
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:24 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 497
Considering it was an introductory episode I expected it to not make any sense for someone who didn't play the VN. But this was more confusing than I was expecting. The animation is, well, you know.
Don't know what to think about it yet, don't particularly like any of the characters as of right now; the story is a big ? atm too. Will see how it goes with the future eps.
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:27 AM
something here

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 10801
Anathor said:
Considering it was an introductory episode I expected it to not make any sense for someone who didn't play the VN. But this was more confusing than I was expecting. The animation is, well, you know.

This was not an introductory episode in the VN, and was rather meant to be seen after completing at least one route, optimally 2

No idea why they did it first
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 497
Insertanamehere said:
Anathor said:
Considering it was an introductory episode I expected it to not make any sense for someone who didn't play the VN. But this was more confusing than I was expecting. The animation is, well, you know.

This was not an introductory episode in the VN, and was rather meant to be seen after completing at least one route, optimally 2

No idea why they did it first

I guess it was to get people hyped about the story; but imo it backfired hard. I read good things about the VN instead, so might pick that up at some point.
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 17939
Is this the part where I should say "Go read the VN"?

Anyway as someone who only completed common route of the VN I think that I should not take the anime seriously.
"Kickstarter for Rokujouma physical book will be live this fall. Be sure to back it up guys."
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 803
I really enjoyed the music, but I have no idea where this is going. The first episode was confusing, but I am hoping that will clear itself up eventually.

Right now my suspicion is that the two dudes are going to transport themselves to present time, attend high school and cause chaos. But meh, we will see where this one ends up.


“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

 
Oct 6, 2017 11:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 6004
Anathor said:
Insertanamehere said:

This was not an introductory episode in the VN, and was rather meant to be seen after completing at least one route, optimally 2

No idea why they did it first

I guess it was to get people hyped about the story; but imo it backfired hard. I read good things about the VN instead, so might pick that up at some point.


At this point this looks like pretty much a fanservice for VN readers so yeah go read the VN, as usual.
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 22625
HEIL REINHARD
It adapted the side story not the prologue for some reason but it was good.

AvidAnimeViewer said:
As the most successful anime kickstarter in history, I have to say I was expecting more. Maybe when it actually gets to the main story things will pick up, especially in the animation department.

It only got 850K, a normal 12 ep cost $2 million, it looks good way better than we should have gotten.
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 1487
Don't have any knowledge of the source material, very meh episode. Now I know how the danganronpa plebs who only watch the animes must feel.
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 898
ichii_1 said:
HEIL REINHARD
It adapted the side story not the prologue for some reason but it was good.

AvidAnimeViewer said:
As the most successful anime kickstarter in history, I have to say I was expecting more. Maybe when it actually gets to the main story things will pick up, especially in the animation department.

It only got 850K, a normal 12 ep cost $2 million, it looks good way better than we should have gotten.


Even now we get 18? eps also.
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:46 AM
Kami-sama

Online
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 3198
me throughout the entire episode 1:47
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 520
ichii_1 said:
HEIL REINHARD
It adapted the side story not the prologue for some reason but it was good.

AvidAnimeViewer said:
As the most successful anime kickstarter in history, I have to say I was expecting more. Maybe when it actually gets to the main story things will pick up, especially in the animation department.

It only got 850K, a normal 12 ep cost $2 million, it looks good way better than we should have gotten.

I was referring more to the quality of the story when referencing that. Studio A.C.G.T has never made the best looking shows in the first place, and even with a kickstarter and producers they're still aiming for 18 episodes (19 if episode 0 isn't part of the 12 TV eps). With so many people supporting it I figured it would at bare minimum make sense.
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:54 AM
something here

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 10801
AvidAnimeViewer said:

I was referring more to the quality of the story when referencing that. Studio A.C.G.T has never made the best looking shows in the first place, and even with a kickstarter and producers they're still aiming for 18 episodes (19 if episode 0 isn't part of the 12 TV eps). With so many people supporting it I figured it would at bare minimum make sense.

well, i mean
it wasnt supported by people who watched the anime (of which this episode at least will most certainly not make much sense to first time viewers) but rather from readers of the VN, which was carved up and randomly taped back together out of order to create this messy episode

 
Oct 6, 2017 11:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 3767
This was freaking garbage. Since this was crowdfunded I guess it's mainly aimed at the people that read the VN. I didn't understand much. Animation was shit, but I expected this to be sub par anyway. Easy drop.
:3
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 128
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was really chaotic, but the end was really cool

Also there's a lot of ressemblances with Fate in the end XD I'd see Scatach, medee, toko, vlad, carmilla, kotomine lmao, i'm stupid
Modified by HappyMN, Oct 6, 2017 12:53 PM
 
Oct 6, 2017 11:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 520
Insertanamehere said:
AvidAnimeViewer said:

I was referring more to the quality of the story when referencing that. Studio A.C.G.T has never made the best looking shows in the first place, and even with a kickstarter and producers they're still aiming for 18 episodes (19 if episode 0 isn't part of the 12 TV eps). With so many people supporting it I figured it would at bare minimum make sense.

well, i mean
it wasnt supported by people who watched the anime (of which this episode at least will most certainly not make much sense to first time viewers) but rather from readers of the VN, which was carved up and randomly taped back together out of order to create this messy episode


That's what confused me the most when I heard about it. The VN was released unfinished and had multiple dodgy expansions which led to a lot of user backlash. So then how did it warrant so much support? Were they expecting it to be fixed somehow? Was the story actually good? Is this just a case of shit taste? What happened?
 
Top
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »