Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Oct 6, 2017 12:52 PM
Dec 2013
The Kino no Tabi remake is here, and we start off with an episode that wasn't in the original. Okay, cool. Next week's episode will be the Colosseum arc, which was in the original, so can't wait for that.

Funny thing in this episode is that that guy who tried to rob Kino told Kino earlier that theft is a crime in this country, while murder wasn't a crime. And what does he do? Tries to rob Kino! In public, even! Like, what the hell, dude? And he did that because Kino didn't help him earlier, and was butthurt about it? Jeez!
wildhoodOct 6, 2017 1:05 PM
Oct 6, 2017 1:00 PM
Jul 2018
Welp, how 'fun' to have the kid wield such heavy guns at his age, and with such a thin body, knowing that's actually not feasible in reality.
I wouldn't have minded if they hadn't made him show-off fast-drawing. Really, they couldn't have him wield a small gun, huh? Because symbolism? Eh. So the scene had the opposite impression than intended, in me. (Those guns would weigh 1.50 kg plus.)
Oct 6, 2017 1:05 PM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
allenjke said:
Did Hermes call Kino a guy, was it figure of speech or mistranslation, didn't hear it correctly and don't know if my small knowledge could've helped.

It was a mistranslation. Kino is of non-binary gender. (Refer to 25 Great LGBT Anime Characters: Beyond Boys Love, which provides further background on Kino. Kino is 10th on the list.) It should hopefully become clearer in the coming episodes that Kino considers themself simply "Kino", neither "he" nor "she".

Other than that, it was a beautiful episode, and I'm really looking forward to more! It feels sort of like Natsume Yuujincho plus Mushishi plus something else I can't place.
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Oct 6, 2017 1:05 PM
Jul 2018
I have been really missing Kino for a while. I think I prefer the old style of storytelling and Kino as well. I knew it that this won't reach the level of what I experience of the original but great thing that I watched the original beforehand. But great start for any ' TV anime' on the other hand there was some cool looking visuals indeed.
removed-userOct 6, 2017 1:11 PM
Oct 6, 2017 1:20 PM

Sep 2017
So, this anime is looking to be really, really interesting. I just love the kind of anime that let you sink into a world and actually make you think.

To me, this series will be a work that can be interpreted differently depending on who watches it. In this first episode, for example: Was the town of murderers a good place to live or are its inhabitants fucked beyond belief because they are able to kill a guy with a smile on their faces?

One could argue that what they did was right, that they killed the guy because he wanted to kill someone for his own personal gain and could do it again, and thus, he was better dead than alive.

But then again you could also say that killing him wasn't the most ideal solution. I mean, they disarmed the guy before killing him when they could have just kicked him out of the country with that arrow stuck on his arm. Also we shouldn't forget that the leader of the town was a terrorist that killed a fuck ton of people in the past, apparently.

So why did they do it? Were they trying to protect others by ending the lives of those who could kill innocents? Or is that just a mask used to kill without having to worry about the consequences?

So what was the right thing to do? What do you think? Honestly, it's so interesting to see the two sides of the coin in the comments.

Also, I've seen that this anime has an "old version", some OVAs and a movie. Should I watch those first before continuing to watch this? Are they any better than the "modern" version?
miguitronikOct 6, 2017 1:33 PM
Oct 6, 2017 1:32 PM

Feb 2016
That was a beautiful first episode. The artwork and sceneries are amazing.
I like Hermes' voice here more than how it is in the original anime. It sounds less childish, like a young boy's voice, and fits his snarky humor.
Kino's hair color is different then how I remember it, having green tones instead of blue, but she's still the same Kino.

Those flowers in the beginning really remind me of her past and was a great way to start off the show. I knew right away that that there traveler was going to pull a stunt like that after Kino politely and reasonably decline helping him. The country was some way interesting and after I saw that everyone was kind and polite, I knew that the meaning for permitted murder there was something different then from what we expected, just not that it was only used to kill other murderers, which really puts you into perspective of what visiting another country might be like. The laws and citizens there are different then from what you're used to and it might come to a culture shock if you're not mentally prepared.

Next episode, I can't what to see what the opening of this series is going to be like!
I'm going to be listening to it every episode and when the full version comes out!
Oct 6, 2017 1:37 PM

Jun 2007
it was okay. i wish colours were more bleakish though
see you, space cowperson . . .
Oct 6, 2017 1:37 PM

Sep 2017
Rehls said:
Welp, how 'fun' to have the kid wield such heavy guns at his age, and with such a thin body, knowing that's actually not feasible in reality.
I wouldn't have minded if they hadn't made him show-off fast-drawing. Really, they couldn't have him wield a small gun, huh? Because symbolism? Eh. So the scene had the opposite impression than intended, in me. (Those guns would weigh 1.50 kg plus.)

Welp, Kino has a speaking motorcycle that other people can hear, apparently, so I don't know why you were expecting 100% real-world realism.
Oct 6, 2017 1:39 PM

Jan 2010

The animation is smooth, the art is crisp, the colors are bright, there's an effective balance of casual background music and silence for the drawn back landscape shots that Kino's Journey should be using a lot of regardless, and it has a good sense of mood during the simple talks. I enjoyed Kino's little quirkiness getting across in this episode, though I'm unsure of how Kino looks...cute I guess? Particularly with that right hand during the gun drawing practices, it's really weird. Other then that, Kino's and Hermes' voices are spot on, so I'm happy with how they were portrayed. I'd also like to point out Kino's marksmanship being implied here, but Kino never actually has to shoot anyone in this episode. Killing to Kino here is becomes more as a last resort that anything else actually, which is a really cool way to portray Kino's character.

Anyways, for the episode itself, I'm uncertain about using the Land of Permitted Murder as the first episode. It feels like a "shock and awe" type of story where it's used to draw in viewer attention, rather that one that establishes the atmosphere of Kino's Journey being more dialogue and observation-focused. Plus, I'm surprised to see the amount of blood and visible violence. Understandably it's due to the particular country being visited and the necessity to show its functions, but being Kino's Journey, I'm still used to its minimalist and subtle nature. The amount of screen shaking, the in-your-face screaming, the blood, and the almost Stanley Kubrick levels of camera focusing on face lifting/turning just doesn't fit my personal image of the series. But, this is a new adaptation with a new staff, so perhaps it's a new way to interpret the series. I still have my reservations about the new direction though.

--------

After musing on the episode a bit, I elaborated on my thoughts.

As per Kino's Journey's method of creating settings to muse over, letting Kino act as the distant observer with no intention to become involved with a country's matters, this allows the anime to not be judgemental nor opinionated, letting the viewer form their own opinions on the passing lands. Of course, they're extremely short stories, serving more as collections of anecdotes and fables highlighting moments throughout Kino's travels. By doing so, this allows for many stories to be explored in succession, and negates the need to overburden viewers on the details of the various lands. In some ways, the series lacks depth, where it doesn't choose to elaborate on the greater functions of different towns, explaining how their absurd and impossible lifestyles could possibly exist.

However, as a fictional setting, the series is capable to create impossible societies for the purposes of animated thought experiments. This allows the series to instead have great breadth, telling a large number of stories without having to become too invested in a single one. It displays the strength of the episodic series structure, making for a non-comedic episode sociopolitical series, at least in the eyes of those whom interpret the series as such. Kino's Journey can also serve as an entertaining aside to narrative-driven anime and comedic slice-of-life shows, proving to be no more than the a "day in the life" story to watch and enjoy without further thought. It's this flexibilty that I'll continue praising the series for, though I do have to recognize its innate weaknesses.

Kino's Journey tackles many ideals in Utopian, Dystopian, and visionary settings, taking ideals and extrapolating them to excessive levels, exploring their absurdity in the safe and controlled medium of a narrative. The Land of Permitted Murder seems to be a corruption of the death penalty, where there's a difference established between the killing of innocent people and the killing of potential or actual murders. It's extremely straightforward in that regard, where Kino correctly heard that the town was peaceful, which isn't an incorrect . The Wild West American Frontier seems to be the aesthetic, where this feeling of free gun ownership and individual rights is translated into a freedom to kill, though it's not a direct translation. Instead, The Land of Permitted Murder is more of a communal setting, where everyone in the society acts in something akin to a hivemind, where deviants of the setting are rooted out almost unceremoniously, contrary to the assumed individual right to kill anyone on a whim.

From my own thoughts, this episode does well in playing with perspectives, which I believe was the main point of the story. The understanding that killing is permitted is misunderstood here, and the perspective of the country being peaceful is just as misunderstood. It truly is a peaceful place, so long as your worldview matches those of the inhabitants. So, depending on one's perspective, a location may be suitable to you to live in, but it depends on how well you can come to understand the location's societal values. Variation exists at many levels, and while the same phrase of "Permitted Murder" may exist for both the hapless man who got killed and the country itself, but its actual meaning changes depending on context.

Perspective changes also contributed to any viewer dissonance that the episode was trying to establish, where the awkward and ominous smiles of the people was supposed to conflict with their words. Though, the obvious and blatant way this was portrayed was contrary to the message I believe. I would have suggested for the dialgoues regarding murders to have been spoken through regular talks with ordinary camera work. The idea is that murder is ordinary in this town, or at least the murder of murders, as it were. Because of this, ordinarily portraying the sentiment might have actually made the talks that much more unsettling, rather than the outwardly malicious presentation they had.

The series does not lend well to a strong continuous narrative, as the stories can be experienced in any order. This lends to a lack of continuous investment, as there's no real drive to see what happens next in the story, for there isn't actually a strong ongoing story. It's just traveling for the sake of traveling, which, for some viewers, can become boring due to the lack of suspense or draw pulling viewers in episode to episode. In turn, however, this lends to an extended series longevity, where the episodes can be viewed a number of times to find new nuances within each story. Additionally, because there is no continuous story, the episodes will probably be capable of being viewed independent of each other, rather than requiring an investment of a number of hours to re-experience an entire anime. Still, Kino's Journey is strong in this aesthetic, making it difficult to appeal to a large audience. As such, I don't expect this series to receive much fanfare, but I'm glad that it was able to get the attention it's getting.
ShockedOct 6, 2017 2:44 PM
Oct 6, 2017 1:42 PM
Apr 2014
Amarrez said:
I thought I'd take ages to get used to Kino and Hermes having new voice actors, but they were actually pretty true to the original.

Yeah, I didn't noticed the difference.
Oct 6, 2017 1:49 PM

Aug 2014
this was so fucking good <3 btw is that the first time that kino said the wrong word at the end?
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Oct 6, 2017 1:51 PM
Nov 2016
Pretty solid start and the art style doesn't seem particularly good, but it isn't bad either.

The setting seems to be great, I am guessing that each episode will be spent in a different country.

The ending got rather violent tho....
Oct 6, 2017 2:04 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
As someone who has not seen the original series, this was good.

What i notice about Kino is that he's very smart in his actions and prepares in advance for possible gunfire.

The twist about the killing law, i didn't expect that! Anyone who shows killing intent gets killed instead by the people so you don't cause trouble, that scene was nuts.
Oct 6, 2017 2:12 PM

Jan 2012
I'd heard about the original but never actually checked it out...

This was actually really nice. Quite like the atmosphere.

I had been wondering if the bike was really talking though... but I guess it is ^^"
Oct 6, 2017 3:00 PM

Nov 2007
miguitronik said:
So why did they do it? Were they trying to protect others by ending the lives of those who could kill innocents? Or is that just a mask used to kill without having to worry about the consequences?

It's definitely not about the latter. There are consequences, it was clearly shown by execution of that guy. I think the whole purpose of that law is to maintain a stability in the society. It worked it seems. It is like self cleaning mechanism. If you are a threat to your environment you should be prepared for some reaction from other citizens. Especially when the law allows to kill you. As the old man said "I'm sorry, but you are dangerous".

Could they just kick him out of the country with an arrow stuck in his arm? I guess it would not be the greatest example to other possible criminals.

The villain have made a bad premise, and it was definitely connected to his experiences from his country. He clearly was not a decent guy, probably got into some troubles (committed a crime?) and wanted to find a place where his way of living would not be condemned. I like how differently the guy at the end of episode was thinking about that country.

Nevertheless, I have to admit it initially surprised me to see so well working society after Kino went through gates. But after all it made sense.

I watched old series about 8-10 years ago and I don't remember the plot so well, but I preserved the feeling that it was a damn good, unique and wise anime. After watching the first episode of new series I have to say I am not disappointed and I am looking forward to next episode with impatience.
Oct 6, 2017 3:11 PM

Jan 2016
the overly bright and shiny aesthetic combined with the overuse of intrusive CG has made my hopes for the series drop even further than when I found out about the staff and studio they chose.
Why couldn't they get SHAFT to do this adaptation considering they did animate most of the OVAs? Or someone with actual directing and composition experience?
This series is saved by the fact they're using one of the best source materials.
please cut out the CG, tone down the lighting, get hermes to sound like hermes. And stop slapping exposition into the face of the viewer.
Oct 6, 2017 3:28 PM

Sep 2017
Crispmj said:
miguitronik said:

It's definitely not about the latter. There are consequences, it was clearly shown by execution of that guy. I think the whole purpose of that law is to maintain a stability in the society. It worked it seems. It is like self cleaning mechanism. If you are a threat to your environment you should be prepared for some reaction from other citizens. Especially when the law allows to kill you. As the old man said "I'm sorry, but you are dangerous".

Could they just kick him out of the country with an arrow stuck in his arm? I guess it would not be the greatest example to other possible criminals.

I see where you are comming from. However, the fact that they didn't show regret is what's unnatural to me. They do say that seeing another die is hard, but the entire town is smiling as Regel kills the dude, and we do not see their faces as this is being said. Also, they are way too chill when talking about killing.

But hey, that's just my POV. I think that the point of all that is to leave some ambiguity to their actions. It's interesting to talk about it though ^̮^
miguitronikOct 6, 2017 3:33 PM
Oct 6, 2017 3:31 PM

Apr 2015
Horrible cgi as to be expected. Funny how over 10 years old anime has better bike animations than this one.
Oct 6, 2017 3:34 PM

Sep 2011
Having just watched the original Kino's Journey recently, I'm really happy to see that even though they changed the voice actors, the new ones stayed true to the original sound, especially Kino. (BTW, anyone else notice who Kino's new VA voiced in the original? I really hope that was intentional.) The new animation looks good, even the CG isn't bad compared to what you see in some other anime and, while noticeable, wasn't too distracting. My only complaint: for some reason, I just really hate the new hat...

Hmm, next episode is called Colosseum, so I'm thinking it will be the same Colosseum story from the original... Since Riku and his human (Yep, I remember the dog's name but not the person's) are on the main picture, I was expecting that, but not so early :o
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Oct 6, 2017 3:34 PM

Apr 2015
Smudy said:
As someone who has not seen the original series, this was good.

What i notice about Kino is that he's very smart in his actions and prepares in advance for possible gunfire.

The twist about the killing law, i didn't expect that! Anyone who shows killing intent gets killed instead by the people so you don't cause trouble, that scene was nuts.

Watch the original after this. That way you will not be let down by how bad the new one is.
Oct 6, 2017 3:44 PM

May 2015
Never watched the original series nor read the novels, but considering this is a remake, I'll skip on the former and watch that somewhere in the future for now.

Other than that, this was pretty great and interesting. I think I'll definitely enjoy this one.

Oct 6, 2017 3:46 PM
Jul 2017
The new art style is not especially appealing, maybe one step above an A-1 Pictures show. This episode lacked a lot of the quiet moments of the first series, and it seemed to feel the need to over-explain itself in a way the original didn't.

Most notably, it was an incredibly boringly "shot" episode. Lots of flat shots, only one moment that could have even been considered slightly artistic. The first series may have been a simpler style, but it was visually distinctive in a way that helped enhance the stories. Compare the flashback in "The Land of Visible Pain" compared to the criminal just telling a story about Regel while nothing happens onscreen.

"Generic" is the best way to describe this episode.
Oct 6, 2017 4:08 PM

Apr 2014
Speaking as a person who finished watching the first series literally last night, it was...okay. Definitely better than I was expecting.
First off, Kino and Hermes sound fantastic. Aoi Yuuki emulates Ai Maeda perfectly, and Soma Saito is much better than I expected as Hermes.
It seems like the director is trying his hardest to be atmospheric like Nakamaura was in the original, but he doesn't quite have the skill yet. There were some nice shots throughout, though of course the CG was a bit distracting. But honestly it wasn't as bad as people have been making it out to be (for the most part)
Now, with the big reveal scene with the guy getting surrounded and killed, I think that was handled really badly. His obnoxious yelling and the shaky cam trying to be serious really put me off, especially after coming off the first series where a lot of things were low-key, even when serious.
It really seemed silly to me..especially with the weird misplaced soundtrack.

The show definitely isn't bad, but it very much has some shortcomings that might be hard to overlook. Not quite sure what to think of it yet..
HonguOct 6, 2017 4:26 PM
Oct 6, 2017 4:21 PM

Jul 2008
I love this episode, I love the old Kino no tabi anime, Look at my avatar :D, it the avater I used sense I joined MAL years ago.

Now there are part of me saying this is not My old KINO :( , But i'm still happy to get any new Kino anime, and the let face it, the old anime didn't do that will because the artstyle and to tell the truth this is the Light novel art style, kino have green hair and green clothes.

Kino for me is all about the stories and the character that want to see the world and explore any place, It is a good episode to start with, Kino will just go to any town even that kind of towns.

I know it hard to see the old anime style go away but let gave the new kino a chance, OK, I'll still love the older one more.

Oct 6, 2017 4:30 PM

Nov 2016
I liked it. It seems better than the original one.
What I love the most about this anime is that a lot of unusual things happen, but they are usually not even questioned. You have to reach your own conclusions.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2017 4:43 PM
Jul 2016
I really, really don't know what to think about this. I want to like it, but many things feel off. First off, the art style. It has been a worry since this was first announced, but Kino looks kinda cute. And that's bad for someone who's supposed to be portrayed as gender-neutral. Also, the bright colors. Kino no Tabi needs more bleakish backgrounds and not cheerful colorful ones like what we got here. And CGI Hermes??? Really???

In the sound department, i feel like both VA's didn't do a good job, or more like, Lerche didn't handle them well. Especially Kino. I can't really put my finger on what bugs me so much, but she sounds more girly than she should, or maybe too overly-conscious of herself, if that makes sense? I'm probably being too critical because i need to get used to the new voices though.

On a positive note, the new ED (or it's probably the OP?) is fantastic, it has this SHAFT feeling to it, i love it!

It's too early to say, but i highly doubt this will be as good as the original. Speaking about the original, next week is the coliseum. Do you guys think they will condense it into 1 episode?

Vhailor said:
I would have preferred if they didn't bombard us right off the bat with a rambling exposition describing Kino and her motivation.

Not ideal, but it's necessary to make this accessible to new viewers as well.
MouloxasOct 6, 2017 4:46 PM
Oct 6, 2017 4:56 PM
Jul 2018
miguitronik said:
Rehls said:

Welp, Kino has a speaking motorcycle that other people can hear, apparently, so I don't know why you were expecting 100% real-world realism.

Well, we don't know how that bike's able to speak--it wasn't explained, so it isn't wise to criticize it just yet. When I saw the bike speaking I accepted it for the time, in hope that there'll be an explanation later on. But the most obvious guess is that an A.I was implanted. And although what we've seen of the civilization wasn't advanced, the possibility of there being others much more advanced is still there--it wasn't eliminated... But yeah, the kid I couldn't accept, as like everyone else we've seen, he was plainly human. This just doesn't appears to be the type of show with bionically-enhanced humans and such. The people in that town relied completely in their guns... And that Regel character that we've seen, although being some famous serial killer, apparently didn't have any enhancement. So yeah, it must've been due to symbolism. Sigh. ... Anyway.
Oct 6, 2017 5:13 PM

Nov 2007
miguitronik said:
Crispmj said:

I see where you are coming from. However, the fact that they didn't show regret is what's unnatural to me. They do say that seeing another die is hard, but the entire town is smiling as Regel kills the dude, and we do not see their faces as this is being said. Also, they are way too chill when talking about killing.

I see your point, their calmness is quite disturbing.
Old guy Regel sees Kino as a person suited to live in this country, he assumes Kino can kill other people. As an inhabitant of this place you have to be prepared to kill. Let's think what would happen if you cannot act that way - in 1 v 1 situation it would make you an obvious victim. Expanding it to the community level you have to posses ability to kill to keep the community safe. Kino made an observation there is not really anyone to keep things safe, like police. Notice how fast the mob fled after killing threat from the bad guy. They were instantly getting prepared to stop him. In our countries this kind of duties are left for adequate services, of course I mean police. Here everyone is expected to act if necessary, the guy in shop keeps his gun close to always be ready, old ladies have guns in their purses. The law gives an instrument which allows people to act without being criminalised.
From our perspective it is unusual and maybe even immoral but I can imagine it working out. I see it that way.
Oct 6, 2017 5:21 PM
Jul 2018
not gonna lie, this is a really shitty remake and I hate already
Oct 6, 2017 5:22 PM

Oct 2013
The animation is good, but it isn't soft enough for Kino's Journey. The dialogue is stiff. Background music isn't gentle enough. I think people who didn't watch the original are going to like it, but I guess there was never any hope for this one to live up to the original.
Oct 6, 2017 5:23 PM

Dec 2014
I didn't know what to expect so tried to keep my expectations low. Happy to say that this was a very good first episode. I still hate the art style and the low fps of the cgi was very noticeable, but other than that this episode did well of recreating those Kino vibes. Whether this surpasses the original is tbd but for now it's at least a good anime and that's good enough for me.
Oct 6, 2017 5:32 PM

Oct 2016
Watching this episode made me realize most anime these days are really shallow indeed. Haven't watched the originals but this right here is Gulliver's Travels.
Oct 6, 2017 5:43 PM

Jul 2015
That was a fantastic first episode, IIRC the episodes that are getting adapted are the fan favorites, this makes me so excited since this one was totally deserving of it.
Oct 6, 2017 5:49 PM

Jun 2017
The original Kino's Journey is one of my favorite anime. That said:

This show is beautiful. Absolutely gorgeous. The art is amazing. The original always had a dream-like overtone to me, and this rendition captured that again.

However, I felt like this episode was pretty shallow. I felt like it was trying very hard to be philosophical - like the original - but just came up short.

Hopefully it gets better.

Also, why the decision to make Kino a male? Not that it matters a whole lot, it just seems like an arbitrary thing.
CelestianSevenOct 6, 2017 5:53 PM
Oct 6, 2017 6:34 PM

Aug 2015
Good start. I can't wait to see how they do the Colosseum this time around, although it might end up getting a bit rushed.
Oct 6, 2017 6:36 PM

Nov 2012
Does someone know if this episode picks up where the anime series from 2003 left off ?
Btw jesus christ, that is like 13 years ago O.o
Oct 6, 2017 6:36 PM
Jan 2011
Good episode of Kino. Perfect way to start the series. In the previous one, many of the stories used to be about concepts that sounded ideal, but when implemented, had a lot of darker undertones to it. This episode is all about a country that sounds like a dystopia, but when you actually go there - it's a good place to live in. In a way, the flip to a more beautiful art style feels like this is a 'mirror' to the original Kino, while still being the same world (showing the "beautiful world" aspect of the world).

The use of Wild West scenery for the buildings subverts the normal things we think about when we think about Westerns. We usually think Westerns are full of lawless killing, but this doesn't have any of that. A subtle touch by the director.

I thought that the episode would end with Kino just leaving, but the extra touch with the second traveler is what pushes this story to a higher level. It shows the difference between a guy who merely dreams about killing and acting lawless, and a guy who has actually experienced it. Ultimately, the moral seems to be that even in 'anarchy', or what should be a chaotic state, humans will always aim towards order and law to earn mutual benefits. But, they only seek that order after experiencing the 'State of Nature'.
czxcjxOct 6, 2017 6:40 PM
Oct 6, 2017 6:38 PM

Apr 2013
It's finally here!

haha, it's these crazy moments that really stick out when I think of Kino's Journey.
duderusOct 6, 2017 7:54 PM

Oct 6, 2017 7:04 PM

Oct 2014
That was a pretty good first episode

Potential AOTS here
Oct 6, 2017 7:29 PM

Aug 2008
Great first episode. The original Kino no Tabi is one of my favorite anime, and this first episode didn't disappoint either. I think I'm going to like the series more from now on, especially since when I first started watching the first season, I wasn't into traveling at that time. Nowadays, traveling is one of my biggest hobbies.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Oct 6, 2017 7:32 PM

Dec 2015
I have positive opinions about this, at least is in charge of a good studio and director, animation is pretty good, voices are pleasant, at the end there are no radical changes
Oct 6, 2017 8:16 PM

Oct 2012
Oh wow the background looked so wonderful!
I love Yuuki Aoi, but I still prefer the original Kino's seiyuu
For Hermes, hardly change.. I guess Saitou Soma did a good job "imitating" xD

"That traveler" said 3 days is the perfect length
Oh no, I'm going to cry again soon :(

Next ep, colosseum
Can't wait for that episode! The original one have a special spot in my heart!
"Signature removed"
Oct 6, 2017 8:58 PM

Feb 2014
Mouloxas said:

Vhailor said:
I would have preferred if they didn't bombard us right off the bat with a rambling exposition describing Kino and her motivation.

Not ideal, but it's necessary to make this accessible to new viewers as well.

While not entirely acceptable, it would have at least made some sense if this were a sequel, but this is a reboot. The audience were new to the first series too, but it didn't feel the need to insult the audiences intelligence by dumping exposition right at the beginning of the first episode. It instead took its time to let them slowly learn about Kino over the course of the series.
Oct 6, 2017 9:21 PM

Jan 2011
I thought it was pretty darn interesting never seen the original yet so i can't speak to the quality of this compared to it, but was the subject matter of this episode par of the course with the old one?

also talking bike ??? fine if kino is the only that hears it but seeing everyone react to it left me confused

i'd say the only thing i felt effy about is the ending it was little too on the nose dunno if that was just to make it easier to understand for others
katsu044Oct 6, 2017 9:26 PM
Oct 6, 2017 9:30 PM

Oct 2011
Kino Hermes ahhhh 😭 So happy they are back.
Oct 6, 2017 9:49 PM

Oct 2008
I'm pleasantly surprised. The new VA's blend right in, and the first episode was something newish. The art is decent...except for CGI Hermes...that bothers me a bit but I can just look the other way! I'm excited that the Colosseum arc is starting so quickly so I can see Shizu and Riku again!
Oct 6, 2017 10:29 PM
Jul 2018
is the story gonna be different from the original one? If so I might have to watch the original first now
Oct 6, 2017 10:45 PM
Jul 2018
koplakever said:
is the story gonna be different from the original one? If so I might have to watch the original first now

No. You can watch this without having watch the original. Both tells the same story in different style.
Oct 6, 2017 11:08 PM

Oct 2015
SkyDrop said:
koplakever said:

No. You can watch this without having watch the original. Both tells the same story in different style.
but preferably watch the original as well to get a bit of background on kino
Oct 6, 2017 11:20 PM

Apr 2015
the character is ... too moe. The dialogue is... too cringy.
7/10
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2017

137 by milou1050 »»
Apr 14, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2017

255 by the_v1gor »»
Apr 13, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2017

103 by XpldFrFantasyLnd »»
Apr 6, 11:51 AM

» video game....

Videogamecoper - Dec 14, 2023

3 by ralfisagreatguy »»
Apr 3, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2017

133 by AdityaRizkiS »»
Mar 11, 12:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.