Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 6, 2017 2:12 PM

Feb 2008
Ah, a Gordian knot of feelings.

The premiere managed to pique my interest, particularly in terms of characters. Komiya seemed entertaining, for an example. Not that the initial charm of the episode was limited to her.

The batting scene was lovely.
Oct 6, 2017 3:33 PM

Jan 2017
Ohhhh so refreshing. A romance anime that isn't at all annoying and noisy this was so refreshing and chill.

Those minutes sure flew by.

I'm here for the romance + drama so bring it on.

Btw, whether the visuals or the musicalization both were on top. Specially the music added such a nice vibe to it. And so far, i'm liking the characters.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Oct 6, 2017 5:16 PM

Dec 2015
Seems pretty average, I can't help but feel like they are tackling too many things at once in a desperate attempt to make a good series.
Prim3Oct 6, 2017 8:37 PM
~
Oct 6, 2017 5:59 PM

Aug 2015
Pretty good first episode and i hope that it will get better from now on.I will give it a 4/5 for the first episode
Oct 6, 2017 6:16 PM

May 2009
2/5. Real snore feast for a first episode. Everyone and everything were all sulky and depressing.
Oct 6, 2017 6:28 PM
May 2016
we need more like this!!
Oct 6, 2017 7:46 PM

Apr 2017
I got bored watching this one. I was waiting for Yanagi Nagi's new song the whole time but nothing appeared. Let's see what will happen next episode. I am giving it a chance...
Oct 6, 2017 7:55 PM

Oct 2016
That's some terrifyingly realistic chalkboard right there
Oct 6, 2017 7:55 PM
Aug 2017
A lil bit boring but I hope it'll get better. Still, this episode is pretty good too, other than it being a lil boring. Would give it a 4/5. Then home run tho xD.

Well I'm kinda surprised that so many people have watched this.....(since it's a new anime)
I love anime and kpop! <3 BLINK and SONE
Oct 6, 2017 10:02 PM
May 2017
I kinda like the girl with short hair
Demon1327Oct 6, 2017 10:09 PM
Oct 6, 2017 10:11 PM
May 2017
madarchod said:
Pretty good first episode and i hope that it will get better from now on.I will give it a 4/5 for the first episode
Same here ,need to give more time to the cast member.
Oct 6, 2017 10:16 PM

Jun 2016
Hoping its gonna be a good romance plsss
Oct 6, 2017 10:57 PM

May 2015
Average start for a drama...
I will give it a couple of more episodes to see if I’m really interest in it. None of the characters have caught my attention thus far.

I'll say it has potential for better, but then again, so does many other original based series. Hopefully this one will capitalize on it, and not the other way around.

Art direction seems alright, but nothing outstanding. I don't like how sometimes the characters and backgrounds don't blend together that well; it feels kinda jarring. Overlay production values could have been better, imo... Music is good though.

P.S. You gotta love that in-your-face Canon camera sponsorship.

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Oct 6, 2017 11:02 PM

May 2016
I love the soundtrack. I wonder what's the name of it.

Plus, Mio has purple eyes woohoo <3
GokuNazzOct 6, 2017 11:07 PM
Oct 7, 2017 12:35 AM

Aug 2016
First episode quite good, marked by the slowness, detail and simplicity of the story. The genre Slice of life has always surprised me by the beauty of their stories, those stories marked by the simple events that happen in everyday life, which nevertheless manage to be art for the simple fact of being a completely "human" story.

Good episode.
4/5

Oct 7, 2017 2:54 AM

Sep 2011
Very, very slow paced episode. Also, the faces art looks so much different compared to the images given on MAL (Noses in partciular).
Oct 7, 2017 10:12 AM
Jul 2018
Couldn't get past the first 10 min.
I don't get the point of these kind of anime: these really "realistic dramas".
Shouldn't this just have been live action? What would the difference be?
Oct 7, 2017 10:40 AM
Feb 2015
If you dont like dramas why are you here?

I liked the denseness of the episode. It'd be cool if these characters are all realistic and unique.
Oct 7, 2017 11:19 AM
May 2017
Slow paced, interesting though. Might be a good series with a lot of feels!
Oct 7, 2017 1:58 PM

Sep 2017
A really cute slice of life anime :)

i'm all yours if you're all mine.
/stär əsk/

Oct 7, 2017 2:53 PM

May 2013
Beautiful first episode, I like it
It looks promising

Oct 7, 2017 3:03 PM

Mar 2009
I have no idea how this is by the same creator of Sakurasou. What the hell? They're absolutely nothing alike. Sakurasou was anime tropey, had drama up the wazoo, and silly stuff. This, on the other hand, is a laid back and melancholic romance story. I sure am thankful for that, because knowing this was by the creator of Sakurasou made me very cautious going into it.

Very strong start. I like camera girl and trumpet girl.
Oct 7, 2017 5:02 PM
Dec 2012
I thought this first episode was amazing lol

The framing was beautiful for many shots, as they really utilized knowing where to draw the eyes and where to show where the next action would place, as well as utilizing space to create frames within the frame.

The editing showed the relationships of the characters and how they viewed each other in varying contexts, and the parallel editing was also done very well! (Perhaps I'm just overthinking the relationship parts). Like, when Izumi and Haruto were talking about different topics while sitting down after playing for a bit, they were never in the same frame, or if they were, there was a visual division between them, but when they got back on the same page, they were in the same shots again, and Haruto stood up, putting himself and Izumi in the same area, removing that division.

I really liked the personification of the characters through the animation, as from singular frames, you could extrapolate a whole lot of information on whom these characters were simply by the way they looked and via the way they held themselves. They also added a lot of little bits of animation (e.g. when the Noriko jumped down the stairs instead of walking or when Mio was rubbing the eraser between her fingers) that really added personality to the characters

Also the backgrounds were gorgeous, even with their muted color palette lol

I almost feel spoiled from watching this, since I know not a lot of shows put this much effort into planning everything out this meticulously
pkmnmaster0603Oct 7, 2017 5:09 PM
Oct 7, 2017 5:17 PM

Nov 2011
Can you pack in the feels in 3 months though? That is what we will find out. Dammit though Komiya is my favorite so far and she's probably going to get the shit end of the stick by the end of this. Oh well we'll see how it goes.

Animation was meh, I expected better.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Oct 7, 2017 5:59 PM
Aug 2014
Aye it's the same studio behind Getsuyoubi no Tawawa, no wonder Natsume looks familiar.

Another anime that seems to want to portray "normal" romance; well these types aren't bad as long as they aren't done excessively.
Oct 7, 2017 6:32 PM

Jul 2016
that school transferring looks like the same as 5cm/s, expecting for feels

looks like its gonna be interesting, takling about the worries and expectation of graduating students for their future, and the mc perspective about the communication issues between friends looks interesting to see more

nice added hibike!eupho like sounds we got also

this show sure is so relatable for graduating students
cronoSpirAOct 7, 2017 6:36 PM
Oct 7, 2017 6:53 PM
Unfortunate One

Jul 2016
Hopefully this picks up a bit. When it comes to Slice of Life I normally like more lighthearted anime. But I'll try it.

Oct 7, 2017 10:21 PM

Jul 2015
I tend to add a lot of anime to my roster pretty early on, so I forget what certain anime are about... like this one... Half way into the episode I started thinking maybe it was about pictures, but by the end, all I could guess was that it was about a bunch of kids just living their lives or something, which is fine, its pretty peaceful and feelsy. On top of that, music is good and calm, I like the art style, and the characters seem nice. I look forward to seeing where this goes.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 7, 2017 11:36 PM
Sep 2017
If someone asks me what I like most about this anime, I will say it is the music.
Oct 7, 2017 11:42 PM

Feb 2012
Kind of slow, but I also kind of like the relationship between the characters, or the implied relationships, at least. I just hope it doesn't end up being Glasslip bad.
Oct 8, 2017 12:12 AM

Oct 2008
The futuristic hanging trains looks awesome!...
3/5.

Oct 8, 2017 2:14 AM

Apr 2017
Looks kinda interesting, but such a slow pace makes me puke. I just hope the rest of the anime won't be so slow paced and as someone said before, seems like the mc could potentially get a harem, which I hope will not happen.
Oct 8, 2017 2:28 AM
Jul 2017
Aversa said:
So far this looked pretty nice tho the relationships seem a bit strange for the time being and with that i mean the relationships towards the transfer student.
He isn't a student yet but it seems he already knows a few people, or better said they know him.
Also that girl from the photography club was funny with the way she reacted.

I'm confused that so many people here didn't get it. I thought it was straight-forward enough...
The transfer student study at the same middle school as the other major characters
then he moved away because of his father's job at the eighth grade
now after 4 yrs he just moved back in to his "home town" for the last semester of high school because of his father again
wilfangOct 8, 2017 2:32 AM
Oct 8, 2017 8:16 AM

Apr 2010
wilfang said:
Aversa said:
So far this looked pretty nice tho the relationships seem a bit strange for the time being and with that i mean the relationships towards the transfer student.
He isn't a student yet but it seems he already knows a few people, or better said they know him.
Also that girl from the photography club was funny with the way she reacted.

I'm confused that so many people here didn't get it. I thought it was straight-forward enough...
The transfer student study at the same middle school as the other major characters
now after 4 yrs he just moved back in to his "home town" for the last semester of high school because of his father again
I thought it was the other way around the baseball club member was a former friend and classmate who lived near the transfer student and he moved away, or at least that's what i got.
And they both get to finish their last year in the same school.

Their both third year students and i don't know what you mean with 8th grade, did you mean third you junior high school student?
Oct 8, 2017 10:44 AM
Jul 2017
Aversa said:
wilfang said:

I thought it was the other way around the baseball club member was a former friend and classmate who lived near the transfer student and he moved away, or at least that's what i got.

Their both third year students and i don't know what you mean with 8th grade, did you mean third you junior high school student?

Now I wonder if it is a problem with the Eng sub/dub version failing to fully translate the dialogue.
I watched Chinese sub version, and the plot is very clear to Chinese/Hongkongese/Taiwanese audience.
8th grade I mean the second year of junior high school.
The transfer student (blue hair) moved away after the second semester of his second yr in junior high school, and now move back in just before the third semester of the final yr in high school, hence 4 yrs had past.
The scene after they just recognized each other on the baseball field is a flashback of their conversation just before the blue hair boy move away 4 yrs ago.
Oct 8, 2017 12:57 PM

Mar 2015
The pacing is too slow for me. Like, barely any happen in this episode and could've been condensed to a 4 minute story telling of montage about a normal highschool slice of life of a returned student.

Oct 8, 2017 1:02 PM

Apr 2010
wilfang said:
Aversa said:

Now I wonder if it is a problem with the Eng sub/dub version failing to fully translate the dialogue.
I watched Chinese sub version, and the plot is very clear to Chinese/Hongkongese/Taiwanese audience.
8th grade I mean the second year of junior high school.
The transfer student (blue hair) moved away after the second semester of his second yr in junior high school, and now move back in just before the third semester of the final yr in high school, hence 4 yrs had past.
The scene after they just recognized each other on the baseball field is a flashback of their conversation just before the blue hair boy move away 4 yrs ago.
I watched the raw so i might have misunderstood.
So far it seems two students recognised him suggesting that either they used to live near him and moved away or he lived near them and moved away.
Oct 8, 2017 1:20 PM

Nov 2015
Music was really nice, and you can't go wrong with the art. I love the slow, melancholic feel, this pacing is perfect for me. The characters seem to have a treasure of depth waiting to be explored, but that being said some stuff was slightly confusing with character relationships. I hope they manage to unravel this perfectly and beautifully, I really wanted something like this. I'm definitely going to stay tuned.
"Talent is something you make bloom, instinct is something you polish."
Oct 8, 2017 1:40 PM

Mar 2014
This was actually a pretty decent start, hoping this will scratch that slice of life / romance itch because to be honest Tsuki ga Kirei didn't do much for me
Oct 8, 2017 2:27 PM

Apr 2012
Feels promising. The whole thing, but particularly the facial animation, was really quite expressive.
Oct 8, 2017 3:30 PM

Sep 2017
I feel like "Just Because!" is the title because if I were to ask Pine Jam why they made this show *that* would be the answer.
Oct 8, 2017 6:26 PM

Feb 2010
Absolutely loved it. The pace, the sense of melancholy, the feel of school time being about to end for good and life's responsibilities and realities catching up with late teens... It felt immediately familiar and comfortable, in an odd way.

I'm interested in all the main characters so far. They're all shown with a reasonable amount of potential for a pilot episode, and the simple fact that they didn't bludgeon the viewer over the head with any of them in a cringeworthy fashion to establish their traits was nice.

That batting scene was gorgeously executed as well, with the music club's performance getting closer to the climax while the cast watches from afar. The relationships and overall behaviors feel natural and organic so far and I applaud their decision to end the episode where they did. No rushed confession cliffhanger, no accidental meeting, no photo club recruitment... They ended it on a high note without overshadowing the cheerful homerun. Good on them.
Oct 8, 2017 9:56 PM
Apr 2017
Liked the atmosphere. Meeting old friends, happy moments, people smiling finally - all good. Meeting old friends also can give a lot of potentials, with drama, dating, memories, etc. so I am looking forward to what they do with it. This is one of the best first episodes this season for "drawing you in", making you curious about the world/environment.
Oct 9, 2017 12:30 AM

Dec 2013
As others have noted, the star here was the atmosphere. This ep had a subdued, somewhat melancholic naturalness of presentation that was very intriguing and felt Shinkai(ish) at times. The montage of haphazard scenes and mundane dialogue was surprisingly effective and made me feel like a silent observer, stealthily dropped into a typical Summer school day. This has a romance tag but I have an inkling it'll be far outshined by the bromance - wild speculation at play. Music is promising. Interested to see where this goes.
DouluoOct 9, 2017 12:58 AM
Oct 9, 2017 5:40 AM

Oct 2013
I got bored out of my mind watching this. We just got introduced to some kids in school, doing their usual mundane things and really not much else ~ no witty dialogue, humor or anything to ignite interest. The reason on why should we care about these characters was not present at all during this ep, and it should've been. After that, your can show them doing the more mundane things and get away with it to a degree but don't start off like this.

Oct 9, 2017 6:24 AM
Mar 2016
i am not a type of liking a romance anime but the main character remind me of ai-chan so maybe i will watch this haha
Oct 9, 2017 12:18 PM

Mar 2014
Hmm that was a bit too slow for my tastes. It was a bit boring but hopefully it will pick up once the transfer student interacts with the rest of the class. The SoL aspect is alright. The art will take a while to get used to though
Oct 9, 2017 9:06 PM

Dec 2012
tingy said:
delta5 said:
I have to admit that I really didn't enjoy Tsuki ga Kirei and dropped it quickly. This seems much more promising, with some interesting characters and a lot of potential for solid storylines. I don't mind that it's slow, just as long as there's enough to keep me interested. Plus, I enjoy its melancholic side...it feels right in terms of the specific setting. I'll definitely keep watching to see what's next.

Same. The two mains were painful for me to watch, but here, I feel like all of the characters we've seen so far very much have their own personalities. It's not just shown through the dialogues or their tone of voice, but also but their actions. The way certain characters walk, sway, run, jump off the stairs, or twisting an eraser between fingers, these motions give information about the characters. I like the attention to detail seen throughout this episode.

The mundane atmosphere is also done very well. I enjoyed watching the beginning, where we see the characters going about their lives. The pale/faded color palette also helps to give off that tone.

The characters all seem pretty nice so far. The baseball part was cute, I wish Souma luck with his confession. It was also nice to hear the trumpet section play the song while they were playing baseball. Seems like Natsume and Izumi have some past history? Looking forward to learn more :)

I did enjoyed Tsuki ga Kirei but i am agreed that Tsuki ga kirei main characters were the weakness in the show.
Izumi and Natsume has personality compared to Azumi and Akane but again they were middle school probably factor come to play but the side casts around them has prominent personality than themselves which are the main strength of the show.
Oct 10, 2017 2:43 AM

Jul 2009
Like some people said, 1st episode was a bit boring...the MC is boring, I hope he gets better...also, is it going to focus on their life after high school? Coz seems that the girl that used to like the boring MC is doing a preparatory course.
Oct 10, 2017 8:42 PM

Mar 2016
I was interested in this show since it was the same studio that made Gamers!
I’m not sure about it yet... seems like a sorta sad show but sometimes those are nice

Also I need to know if it’s worth my time since it’s only watchable on animestrike so I have to pirate it :/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Just Because! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 9, 2017

112 by DeBritto »»
Apr 13, 11:48 AM

Poll: » Just Because! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2017

354 by OtsuksRiinko29 »»
Apr 3, 6:46 AM

Poll: » Just Because! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2017

110 by Haru_2806 »»
Mar 17, 2:44 AM

Poll: » Just Because! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2017

145 by Haru_2806 »»
Mar 17, 2:20 AM

Poll: » Just Because! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2017

111 by Haru_2806 »»
Mar 17, 1:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.