Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Oct 13, 2017 5:55 PM

Apr 2017
A lot of people are saying they didn't expect The Boar to die in the first episode, and while I won't say that I was expecting it, I wasn't fully expecting her to live either. Because I while watching and seeing how much attention was being put into The Boar's personality and backstory I figured that either: she would still be alive by the end because of how much importance the character seemed to have, or she was going to die to show mess with the audience's expectation.

I personally feel like what ended up happening was the smartest choice, since with this show specific premise it would've been really easy for it to fall into the trap of giving certain characters very evident plot armor and make it very obvious which characters have better chances of surviving. So while it may have been a little anticlimactic to explore her character so thoroughly just to kill her off in the first episode, i think it will help to make us less sure of who's going to die and in turn make us more invested the show.

All in all, just from the first episode I already get the feeling that this will be an anime that I'll enjoy, I think It'll be fun to learn more about the characters and the Juuni Taisen as well as trying to guess who's going to die next or who's going to kill who, all accompanied with beautiful and fluid animation.

Also, I think The Monkey isn't as nice as she acts. As far as I know, monkeys are typically portrayed as jerks in chinese folklore and mythology.

Also also, I just noticed that the second episode already came out, so probably no one is going to read this. lol
Heck, I'm posting it anyway. I spent way too much time writing this to not post it.
Oct 15, 2017 6:24 AM

Jul 2008
LMAO!!!!

All that talk, all that backstory, all that scheming, all that planning for that 12 years of her life, and boom she's taken out in the first minute.
Oct 17, 2017 11:28 PM

Jan 2013
Good premiere, fast paced and surprising.
Oct 18, 2017 11:34 AM

Jul 2009
I really liked this! It was interesting to see so much of the Boar's backstory, slowly driving her sister crazy so she killed herself and so that she could compete :P Plus we get a good intro to the game as well. I wonder how she knew so many of the other competitors, since I'd assume that the previous contestants would all be dead seeing as her father won the last competition o_O Either way the Rabbit certainly looks like an interesting character XD Bless fanservice?! :P I'll be surprised if she dies right away, but if we get an episode for each character I guess it would make sense. Wait except ... if someone dies each time there's a fight that wouldn't work out? IDK I just assumed that seeing as how the Dog gave the preview. Either way I wonder what the Monkey's plan was, but I am totally on the side of the Boar, let's get the fighting started XD Either way the ED was pretty catchy, nice bass line going into the chorus. This one has my attention so far! :3
Oct 18, 2017 3:58 PM

Jan 2016
I've watched all the episodes to this point (3), but my mind keeps coming back to this first episode. This is easily my favorite introduction to an anime in a long time. A lot of the outcomes are foreshadowed beautifully, and there was a logic to the shocking end. It sets up the formula for future episodes - which likely will get broken at some point. I'm guessing more surprises to come.

At first I think any viewer is (naturally) pretty pissed about this first episodes outcome, but looking back at the backstory of the 'main' character... who really could be upset by her fate? She's one unsavory villain
Oct 19, 2017 3:17 PM

Aug 2016
LOL what the fuck is this? Give me the next ASAP.
Oct 20, 2017 12:58 AM

Mar 2017
I thought that Boar is the evil protagonist (much like Tanya). Unfortunately, she's dead or is she...?
Oct 21, 2017 11:08 AM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
Damn, Usagi is creepily cute. I wanna marry him :p

I will show no mercy for you
You had no mercy for me
The only thing that I ask
Love me mercilessly
Oct 22, 2017 4:58 AM
Feb 2016
strong first episode
Oct 23, 2017 6:15 AM

Oct 2017
Usagi is awesome with his necromancy. Hope Inounoshishi isn't dead though!
Oct 26, 2017 6:35 AM

Dec 2015
Battle royale where the winner is granted a wish? How original... Also their universe is pretty fucked when you can massacre all your classmates and get away with it.
~
Oct 26, 2017 11:44 AM

Apr 2013
Rabbit (or Usagi) just became the most dangerous person in this battle royale. With his necromancer ability the longer he stays in battle the stronger he'll get. I'm putting my money on that guy.
Oct 26, 2017 4:09 PM
Aug 2017
joe_g7 said:
Things like characters dying soon is to be expected, especially from battle royale anime like this one. But killing a character after you've basically dedicated the entire first episode to them is like shitting in my lunch after I've tasted and liked it. Fuck you to whoever thought putting this into the anime would be a good idea.
Yeah it real turned me off from the show,and it feels like they are going to keep doing that every episode.
Oct 27, 2017 1:32 PM

Apr 2014
That rabbit is annoying af.
Oct 28, 2017 12:19 PM

Aug 2012
thesarcasticguy said:
I didn't expect the woman to die so quickly but the episode was pretty good. The action was great and the animation seemed to be flowing in a smooth manner.

This reminds me of the Fate Series, what with the tournament setting and the magical elements.
You did not? She was too sure of herself. It would have been nice too see how snake died.
Oct 28, 2017 12:21 PM

Aug 2012
Lymus said:
Didn't expect the Boar to die, quite liked her ...
I knew she was going do die from the first moment she met rabbit. But I wanted to hear monkey's plan first.
Oct 28, 2017 12:23 PM

Aug 2012
joe_g7 said:
Things like characters dying soon is to be expected, especially from battle royale anime like this one. But killing a character after you've basically dedicated the entire first episode to them is like shitting in my lunch after I've tasted and liked it. Fuck you to whoever thought putting this into the anime would be a good idea.
It was a good idea. Over confidence is bad and that was the point.
Oct 28, 2017 12:26 PM

Aug 2012
Illyricus said:
It was very enjoyable. It didn't felt slow, the battles are good and the series looks like a great popcorn spectacle, so I don't have any complaint. Also, for being a NisiOisiN work, it had too few dialogues.

People said they didn't expected Boar's death, but I was sure she was going to kick the bucket as soon as she was revealed to be the narrator of the episode. This is a battle royale, so you never know who is going to die, and I had the feeling she was too confident for her own good. About Boar herself, well, she was hot, but also a bitch, so...
Rabbit too OP, btw, a necromancer with a good ability to fight seems pretty strong. Of course, we haven't see yet the abilities of the rest of the zodiacs, but still. He is pretty funny and clever, and his design is really hilarious, so I won't mind if he ends winning, though.

I have the feeling each episode are going to follow one of the zodiacs, and I won't be surprised if they end dying at the end just like boar (hell, one of them already died before the event started, even his own brother didn't gave a fuck about him).

After Black Clover's mediocrity, this has been a better start of the season.
honesty I would say monkey seems to me to have the best chance of wining.
Oct 29, 2017 9:01 PM

Nov 2012
Color me interested so far. The animation and visuals are gorgeous and it doesn't look like it'll be predictable. I just hope it doesn't go the route of say, Magical Girl Raising Project, where it's simply dark and violent for the sake of being dark and violent.
Oct 31, 2017 2:11 AM

Jul 2015
Oh damn this show isn't pulling any pulling any punches!

Good first episode. It reminds of Danganronpa( bear with me, i mean the killings) with the way am sure of deaths coming my way.

Am rooting for monkey( though i feel she may be killed). Trying my best not to be very invested into any of the characters ( except rabbit of course)

Guess am gonna watch it for the rest of the season.
Nov 2, 2017 10:23 AM

Jul 2016
Fuck Boar died! -.- NOOO ! i liked her so much :(
Nov 4, 2017 9:34 AM

Dec 2016
I really really like the art style of the show, as well as the violence of it! Also stating it here, I'm rooting for Horse to win, and if he dies, then my boy Ox will win it
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 5, 2017 7:02 AM
Dec 2012
This was alright. The visuals are pretty nice & damn the OP's pretty catchy.
RIP boar. Episode 1-1. "Because you're going to be my friend, too..."
Nov 9, 2017 8:40 AM
Nov 2017
I already figured out the show the rat wins all the time and wishes everyone back that’s why everyone knows him from somewhere
Nov 21, 2017 6:32 AM

Aug 2017
I start the episode with low expectations but i think it was a OK episode not bad neither good. At least we have Boar backstory, sadly she dies too son. I don't like some characters designs ex. Rabbit. 3/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 12, 2017 6:58 PM

Feb 2013
I'm interested, lets see how this goes.
Dec 21, 2017 9:45 AM

Nov 2014
Going hype with this after seeing the pv including Sawano ft DAI as ending theme, and my first impression for this series is great.

The animation and arts are great too,

the overproud pig tho haha XD, can't wait to see the death of another character
Dec 24, 2017 11:24 PM

Jan 2017
Professional direction.
Also the script is new.
Indirect lines here and there.
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Jan 2, 2018 5:29 PM

Feb 2014
Oh God... looks like this is will be another gore fanservice anime with stupid and pathetic reasons to justify the gore...

Oh well... this will be probably my next drop after a long time.
Jan 7, 2018 6:42 PM

Jan 2017
So, I did not expect that ending...
Jan 12, 2018 3:01 AM

Jul 2008
So, who else noticed that the animation to the ending sequence is a complete spoiler to the order of character deaths in the series?
Jan 12, 2018 6:29 AM

Jan 2017
Vi- said:
Oh God... looks like this is will be another gore fanservice anime with stupid and pathetic reasons to justify the gore...

Oh well... this will be probably my next drop after a long time.

Gore in anime is a mere joke, compared to other media.
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Jan 19, 2018 3:08 AM

Aug 2015
I enjoyed that intro episode but was disappointed that the Boar did all that to get there and then end up as the second one dead. Like don’t tell me the whole backstory and then she dies. Smh.
So many boobs in fairy tail, it's crazy.
Feb 23, 2018 2:37 AM

Aug 2007
I'm a sucker for battle royale shit.
Let's do this!

Apr 23, 2018 2:24 AM

Jan 2014
Insta-dropped 1/10

Picked this up because of the drawing style, and actually loved that, but the writing is downright terrible.

1. Arrogant character messed up by parents expectations: done >9000 times before, and done better
  2. Psychotic necromancer with knives: done >9000 times before, and done better
  3. Quirky girl with glasses, that is an assassin, but actually kind-hearted: done >9000 times before, and done better
  4. Happy old man, that is still an assassin: done >9000 times before, and done better
  5. Silent master: done >9000 times before, and done better
  6. Young protagonist suffering from sleepiness, feigned disinterest, and/or with a food obsession: done >9000 times before, and done better
  7. Trying to draw viewers in by shock, by spending the whole first episode to build up a character, then predictably killing him/her off at the beginning of the series: done before, done better, and it was cheap the first time

"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Feb 20, 2019 1:02 PM
Jul 2018
Looks like the ultimate battle royale schlock show. No self insert shonen protagonist or slice of life nonsense or annoying tsundere or any of that bullshit. This should be fun.
Apr 19, 2019 2:48 PM

Feb 2015
Whoa... that was surprising... the person who I thought was going to be the last girl standing gets killed off straight away.

I wonder how the next episode would go.
Jun 5, 2019 4:11 AM

Dec 2018
Jul 9, 2019 2:48 PM

Jan 2012
okay that was a solid first episode! Mixed, crazy and interesting bunch of characters in a battle Royale with lots of gore and action...... who wouldn't be up for more of that?! Hope it continues strong :)
Oct 16, 2019 5:09 AM

Mar 2019
Wow this first episode was impressive, the animation is really smooth and characters look cool
May 31, 2021 4:36 PM
Apr 2021
bitch broke her sister down mentally to die in the first episode. i actually thought she was gonna be important, IM FUCKING CRYING SO HARD RN BRO, she deserves it tho, fuck her.
Mar 9, 2022 6:29 AM

Jul 2011
Was Boar's death so surprising considering the title ?

Now, I wonder whether we have an actual protagonist or will keep changing PoV.
Nov 29, 2022 7:15 AM
Jan 2020
Pretty dope shit.
Jul 28, 2023 5:11 AM
May 2023
I already read the manga so I knew what was gonna happen but it makes me so happy that Usagis Jp VA is Nobuhiko Okamoto (my all time favorite voice actor)
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

» Should I avoid watching the ED until after I've finished the series?

Jax - Jan 22

4 by StarlightShiba »»
Jan 31, 7:01 AM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2017

211 by Stuntdrath »»
Dec 27, 2023 5:04 PM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 7, 2017

197 by Bakunoaato »»
Jul 28, 2023 7:28 AM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 31, 2017

112 by Bakunoaato »»
Jul 28, 2023 6:41 AM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2017

222 by Bakunoaato »»
Jul 28, 2023 5:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.