Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 30, 2017 8:05 PM

Oct 2013
I enjoyed the anime, and every time I remember about this series I always look online to see if anyone has pick up this work, I know it is a daunting task because of the amount of volumes that would need to be translated, but I think this series is a long time classic that deserve to get recognition.

This series is the one that inspired the creation of Berserk and many other series.
Sep 30, 2017 8:17 PM

Apr 2011
isn't there like 100+ volumes of that?

no way these will get ever translated in our lifetime LUL
Sep 30, 2017 8:22 PM

Oct 2013
Valaskjalf said:
isn't there like 100+ volumes of that?

no way these will get ever translated in our lifetime LUL

Better start now than never.
Sep 30, 2017 8:27 PM

Jun 2012
The first big overarching plot was published in five books by Vertical. They still own the licensing so we're not going to see a fan translation ever.

Maybe they'll get enough out of the nisioisin books that they'll be comfortable digging deeper in the light novel scene.
Or sell the rights to Haikasoru or Dark Horse idk, those two seem like a better market for Guin Saga with the success of LoGH and Vampire Hunter D.
Sep 30, 2017 10:32 PM

Oct 2013
Yorozu said:
The first big overarching plot was published in five books by Vertical. They still own the licensing so we're not going to see a fan translation ever.

Maybe they'll get enough out of the nisioisin books that they'll be comfortable digging deeper in the light novel scene.
Or sell the rights to Haikasoru or Dark Horse idk, those two seem like a better market for Guin Saga with the success of LoGH and Vampire Hunter D.

My only other hope is that it gets a full adaptation. Which is less than 1%
Sep 16, 2018 3:48 AM

Jan 2017
Why you don't learn japanese then read all the 130 volumes instead of waiting. :p
Mar 15, 2021 9:24 PM
Aug 2008
I think completing the series would be much better than a lot of anime's which are currently being done. Sometimes you don't know why are some of these treasures aren't being adapted.
Sep 24, 2021 9:33 AM
Aug 2019
keragamming said:
Yorozu said:

My only other hope is that it gets a full adaptation. Which is less than 1%

Even Berserk didn't get adapted. And you're talking about Guin saga.
Jun 12, 2022 2:42 PM

Feb 2021
I also want Guin Saga to be translated.
Jun 19, 2022 11:42 AM
Jan 2021
Super late reply but someone might still be interested.

A fan translation exists now of all the 130 books plus the 22 side-story novels.
MAL doesn't allow linking to copyrighted material. I'm not sure if this counts but...
Just search for it on Reddit. That's where I found it.
Aug 27, 2022 2:11 AM

Nov 2020
Lind_van_Taylor said:

A fan translation exists now of all the 130 books plus the 22 side-story novels.
MAL doesn't allow linking to copyrighted material. I'm not sure if this counts but...

You're not talking about the r/theguinsaga one are you?
Sep 5, 2022 9:54 PM
Jan 2021
SpacemanSpiff357 said:
Lind_van_Taylor said:

Yep. I know it's not perfect but it's good enough. So far.
I haven't finished it because: I mean... 152 books!
Jun 21, 2023 2:39 PM

Oct 2013
Lind_van_Taylor said:
SpacemanSpiff357 said:

Yep. I know it's not perfect but it's good enough. So far.
I haven't finished it because: I mean... 152 books!
Just seeing this comment, interesting... I will check it out.
Jun 21, 2023 5:11 PM

Mar 2021
Wouldn't it be faster to translate it yourself than to expect people to translate it? These days, translation sites are becoming more accurate, so it's easier to translate things yourself.

I'm not a fan of reading light novels that are more than 20 volumes, so I don't think I'll ever read Guin Saga, even though it's been on my mind for decades.

Jun 22, 2023 10:29 AM

Oct 2013
kihel said:
Wouldn't it be faster to translate it yourself than to expect people to translate it? These days, translation sites are becoming more accurate, so it's easier to translate things yourself.

I'm not a fan of reading light novels that are more than 20 volumes, so I don't think I'll ever read Guin Saga, even though it's been on my mind for decades.
Are you assuming I can read Japanese? 
Jun 22, 2023 5:02 PM

Mar 2021
keragamming said:
kihel said:

I knew from the very beginning, in the context of your comment, that you cannot read Japanese.

Even if you can't read Japanese, it's not impossible to learn to read, right? And even if you can't read, you can translate sentences and pages with images these days. It's still hard to do with images, though, because of the amount of text. You can read the Japanese version in an e-book, and if you copy-paste it well into a translation site, you can translate it in an instant.

I think it is unlikely that the book will be officially translated from Japanese. I think the long length of the volumes, the fact that the original author is dead, and the fact that the story continues in a two-man team are the reasons why it will not be translated.

And if I could not read Japanese myself, but really wanted to read the rest of the story, I would buy or obtain the Japanese version of the book myself and find someone who could translate it for a fee. In fact, I have seen people doing so at MAL.

By the way, as for the number of volumes, the Kurimoto edition goes up to volume 130.
After that, the story continues in a two-person system, with the latest volume being volume 148.
Gaiden is 27 volumes.

Jun 22, 2023 5:27 PM

Oct 2013
kihel said:
keragamming said:

I knew from the very beginning, in the context of your comment, that you cannot read Japanese.

Even if you can't read Japanese, it's not impossible to learn to read, right? And even if you can't read, you can translate sentences and pages with images these days. It's still hard to do with images, though, because of the amount of text. You can read the Japanese version in an e-book, and if you copy-paste it well into a translation site, you can translate it in an instant.

I think it is unlikely that the book will be officially translated from Japanese. I think the long length of the volumes, the fact that the original author is dead, and the fact that the story continues in a two-man team are the reasons why it will not be translated.

And if I could not read Japanese myself, but really wanted to read the rest of the story, I would buy or obtain the Japanese version of the book myself and find someone who could translate it for a fee. In fact, I have seen people doing so at MAL.

By the way, as for the number of volumes, the Kurimoto edition goes up to volume 130.
After that, the story continues in a two-person system, with the latest volume being volume 148.
Gaiden is 27 volumes.
With that logic you can apply to every single series that are not translated "Well why don't you do it yourself" There is a reason why fan translation is a thing it is usually done by a group of individuals as one person doing it will not be logical, you are also assuming I have a lot of free time on my hand, maybe five years ago that was the case but I'm much more busy and barely watch anime or read manga anymore, but I'm about to finish university so I will have more free time, but not to translate but instead better my life, I would like to read the volumes when I have free time instead of taking up the job of translating 130 volumes.
Jun 22, 2023 5:48 PM

Mar 2021
keragamming said:
kihel said:

Gaiden is 27 volumes.
With that logic you can apply to every single series that are not translated "Well why don't you do it yourself" There is a reason why fan translation is a thing it is usually done by a group of individuals as one person doing it will not be logical, you are also assuming I have a lot of free time on my hand, maybe five years ago that was the case but I'm much more busy and barely watch anime or read manga anymore, but I'm about to finish university so I will have more free time, but not to translate but instead better my life, I would like to read the volumes when I have free time instead of taking up the job of translating 130 volumes.

Well, it looks like it will be difficult to translate after volume 130 officially, so we will have to wait for someone to translate it for us in fansubs. ...... 130 volumes of the original author's writings alone, or that's a lot of books for me personally to get my mind off of.

I can't say I'll never read it, but I might if I really run out of things to read. I've already read more than 10 other books by the original author... Just a month or so ago, I saw a place where you can get 20 free copies of Guin Saga volume 100 and onward, so I posted this time on that forum.

For me, it is a quantity that I would never think of reading in my spare time by mistake.

I understand that translation is better done in a group. When I translate alone, I am not sure if the expressions are correct, so I really need someone to check the translation. I thought so when I actually did it..

Well, I think it is a blessing to be able to enjoy one work for a long time, so please challenge yourself to read the volumes that have been translated and read them. Enjoy!

More topics from this board

» Volume 5 Discussion

abystoma2 - Dec 3, 2023

0 by abystoma2 »»
Dec 3, 2023 1:14 PM

» Subreddit

2adon - Feb 20, 2023

0 by 2adon »»
Feb 20, 2023 12:55 PM

» Has anyone here read it?

berial6 - Mar 4, 2019

23 by LampsAndMugs »»
Dec 12, 2022 3:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.