Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 9, 2017 5:36 AM

Jan 2017
ohhh ONE PIECE, how much did I miss you!
Oct 9, 2017 7:58 PM

Feb 2015
Brilliant episode and good animation and character details. Very well done feelings that Sanji express. Very strong episode.
Oct 11, 2017 4:32 AM

Dec 2013
Jack_100HP said:
pathetic. oda should publicly apologize on behalf of toei for ruining such a great show

Where is this coming from?
Oct 11, 2017 4:37 AM
Jul 2018
G_Spark233 said:
Jack_100HP said:
pathetic. oda should publicly apologize on behalf of toei for ruining such a great show

the outskirts of winterhold
Oct 11, 2017 5:01 AM

Dec 2013
Jack_100HP said:
G_Spark233 said:

the outskirts of winterhold

So basically a troll post? That explains it.
Oct 12, 2017 10:36 PM

May 2015
Couldn't hold back my tears. 807 was so bad... but 808 is One Piece at his best, epic!
'Don't run. Face your fears. Survive'
Oct 13, 2017 12:46 PM
Jan 2017
For some reason, I did not feel much sad during this episode. The final speech was great, but I could not understand why sanji had to thrash luffy like that. He could just have told them the situation( atleast Nami would understand) about his hands, zeff chef, etc..

But I don't know much about how Manga is written, so I guess thiis is for the best. I mean, we don't know the future story, whereas the writer does.

I will not compare it to usopp vs luffy, or nico robin leaving crew in fear of cp9, as the arc is still airing.

Let's see how jinbei, brook team, chopper team, sanji's plan to escape, copying of the Poneglyph, wano team and army vs luffy & nami add up to thhe climax of this arc. The most interesting element is the pekom's (who disappeared a while back) part in making all this come together.
Oct 14, 2017 10:16 AM

Dec 2016
watching this episode at midnight, I had to hold my crying voice.... T_T
aaaaa.....love to hear "memories" song again :')
Oct 16, 2017 11:41 AM
Oct 2017
Dang 😭 He said no matter how hard you kick me I know your the one being hurt! A that had me tearing up big time not even gonna lie! I hope sanji comes back quick also for some reason I felt Nani seen those handcuffs and knew something was up!
IF ZORO WAS THERE!......... he would have scrapped sanji immediately for gettin after his captain even though luffy would have told him to do nothing smh
We all know how One piece is so hopefully there will be a twist where Sanji got into a predicament that he could have avoided had he known sooner or same for luffy and Nani. I can't wait to see what pudding tells Sanji too because he doesn't have a clue rn that she is going to help or maybe already has 🤷‍♂️
Also I wonder why Pekoms ran off and what he did, and how chopper and carrot will escape. There is so much at once hahah
FPKLuffyOct 16, 2017 12:31 PM
Oct 26, 2017 4:52 AM

Jan 2013
Great episode. I really like it when the 'memories' start playing.
Man I cried, I cried.
Oct 30, 2017 4:23 AM
Oct 2011
I am going to quote the anime news network review of 808

As for 808, the real meat of this week's One Piece special, my feelings are significantly more positive. The fight avoids feeling contrived thanks to the fact that we still don't really know what Sanji's thinking in terms of how to get himself out of this situation, or whether help from his friends is needed. Stories about Straw Hats temporarily leaving the crew have been done much more effectively in the past, and a fight like this forever hides in the looming shadow of Luffy vs. Usopp from back in the Water 7/Enies Lobby days. The crew has gone through so much together and repeatedly proven what they're willing to go through for their friends. The series can't push that kind of story anywhere it hasn't been, but I think this take on it works by hanging onto a few specific threads:

1.) Luffy's just as surprised as the audience when he happens upon the Vinsmokes on their way to Sanji's engagement ceremony and Sanji immediately fights him off. Like us, Luffy's thinking "Sanji's been through this kind of stuff lots of times! He knows how we deal with this." Then he's forced to realize that no, this might not be one of those times. This makes us wonder if there's something we don't understand.

2.) This is the first time somebody's tried to leave the crew for the sake of a third party (in this case, Zeff). Sanji's forced to play the role of an antagonist so that his family doesn't kill his mentor on the other side of the world, and he's still clinging to hope that this can end with everybody keeping their heads. He's not proud of hitting and badmouthing his own captain, but that pride is less important to him than Zeff.

3.) This fight works well as a beat within the arc itself more than it does for the larger story of the Straw Hats. This is a case where being familiar with the manga and where it's going helps, because Whole Cake Island is such a meticulously structured arc that its real strengths don't show until you've gotten further in. Basically, seeing how the Straw Hats deal with their beef eventually creates a strong juxtaposition between them and the other families of the arc. The drama is just believable enough to serve that role, even if it feels like a worn out trope in the context of the whole series.

It's kind of bizarre to place this fight alongside the upcoming Goku vs. Jiren battle, since what we get is mostly Sanji beating on Luffy and Luffy not fighting back. The whole emotional journey of this episode is that Luffy holds his ground and just lets his friend have at it. As far as the presentation goes, it's immaculate. As we reach the end of the fight, and the two pals part ways, everything about the art, music (is that some Ghibli-style piano I hear?), and atmosphere are entirely worthy of the one-hour special hype. Honestly, I think the drama that the direction adds is a significant improvement over the manga version, which was weighed down significantly by the comparisons to other "Straw Hat leaves the crew" stories.

And then it wraps the episode up with a montage set to the show's first ending theme, 'Memories', completely pandering to my desire to see the old feelings of this show paid due respect within the modern content. Toei, my buds, my friends, you're free to use insert songs whenever you want. You can do it in every episode for all I care. I'll be happy with it.

It feels good to like episode 808 as much as I do, because it's ultimately just the jumping-off point for the stuff that I find really interesting about this arc. I can't imagine that anything else will get such a flashy hype train going for it, but I'll take the emotional roller coaster while I can get it. This "special" is Toei's adaptation at its best and worst, really pushing my patience with all the flashbacks and filler, but also giving me all the depth of feeling I could ask for when the direction really pulls it off.
Oct 31, 2017 1:05 AM

Oct 2013
Wow, finally a good episode. I thought I couldn't cry anymore, guess I'm wrong
Nov 3, 2017 2:59 AM
Apr 2016
When Luffy was giving the speech i was crying. When "memories" was heard, my soul death came. Couldn't stop crying, all my life passed before my eyes. I am now 29, i have been watching One Piece since 2002 when i was 14. Half of my life. I remembered why i loved it so much.

But..... that episode was an exception. Still boring episodes are coming. The pace is very slow, there are thousands of villains noone cares, the nakamas are not on the ship (i miss these days so much) and there in no light at the end of the abyss Oda put himself in
Nov 5, 2017 2:01 PM

Oct 2015
I dreaded to watch this episode because I couldn't handle the emotion of it. Damn those kicks they still send chills to my body and filled me with sadness. I just couldn't watch more of that beatdown, I closed my eyes for most of that one sided fight.

I wished Luffy would have fought more though and jet pistoled him a bit.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 5, 2017 2:04 PM

Oct 2015
Lisa2744 said:
Juu_Go said:
The tears and snot wouldnt stop coming out. One of the reasons I LOVE One Piece! Why I love Luffy; that he could see through Sanji's bullshit and still have faith in him and their friendship.
honestly I so agree with u
Me third, I agree with you two.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 4, 2017 10:09 AM

May 2015
Sanji is one of my favorites in One Piece but he got lucky that Luffy didn't fight him like he did with Ussop and to be blunt I was disappointed by Luffy (I understand that he would have whooped Sanji's a$$ thus no more Big Mom/Wedding Arc) but Sanjis needs to realize he can depend on his friends with stuff like this (the dire situation that Zeff is in)...
Dec 24, 2017 2:04 PM

Apr 2013
Sanji can't even defeat Luffy if Luffy doesn't fight at all lol. Would've been a 5/5 episodes if Luffy just went Gear Fourth and oneshot that prick.
Dec 25, 2017 5:21 AM

Oct 2009
i just started to catch up with One Piece recently, after few months of hiatus.
mannnnn after watching this makes me realized that OP is the best anime after all.
" Have some adventure while you can, and then start to figure things out"
5 Centimeters per Second

Jan 12, 2018 11:34 AM

May 2010
Man, this part was a LOT better, not only animation was pretty darn good, it hit me right into feelz a few times ;_; It was SO obvious Sanji was hurt this whole time, but when he started crying I couldn't make it either T^T AND NAMI'S BITCHSLAP NOOOOOO (okay, I was half-expecting her to step into their "duel" and get hit by Sanji, who probably wouldn't ever forgive himself for that lol).

Totally didn't expect to hear "Memories", the first OP ending one more time!
Jan 23, 2018 9:51 AM

Aug 2014
I just had to say it in the last ep.. This was one of the best episodes hands down. Beautiful.
Sep 23, 2018 11:09 AM

Jan 2013
Lmao I love how Sanji's brothers acted exactly the same as Sanji towards Nami when they see her for the first time.

Ok whelp, that final monologue / scene got me to tear up, so many emotions right there.
Aug 4, 2019 10:21 AM

Apr 2013
This was so much more emotional than the manga, it's at moments like these where the anime truly shines.
Dec 22, 2019 10:55 AM
Apr 2018
Episode 807 was a complete garbage, I almost fell asleep when I saw it, instead, 808 should have been the real chapter... Two-part battle my balls, is the most brazen and offensive stuffing I've seen in this series along with the obsessive and repeated scenes of Enies Lobby when Sogeking burns the WG flag and Robin scream what she want to live.
I can accept the slow pace and the lengthening of scenes, but repeat flashbacks I saw literally 3 damn episodes ago. Insulting is little for this shit.
Apr 7, 2020 8:25 PM

Nov 2018
Very powerful and very emotional scenes this episode, excellent voice acting from the two of them, Luffy especially.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Apr 17, 2020 1:54 PM

Feb 2014
😭😭😭😭😭

fuckkkkkk, arghhhh that was good!
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Apr 17, 2020 6:21 PM
Mar 2020
One piece and dragon ball, the best 🐉👒
(then the big pack of Naruto fairy tail bleach toriko HxH Gintama snk bnha opm death note....)
May 19, 2020 2:02 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
One of the best episodes of the series, easily!

Pure emotions and heart, and just near-perfection really. Recurring moments but they just hit the right spot here. And the performances from the VAs was just fabulous!

As a matter of fact, I've watched this episode while it aired back a couple of years or so but I just had to relive this before catching up. And as such, no regrets whatsoever.

Sanji and Luffy's story is a heart-breaking but genuine tale. Insert song in the end there was just the icing on the cake. I appreciate that they extended this episode to 26 minutes instead of leaving a chunk of this for the next.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

May 30, 2020 10:31 AM

Apr 2018
The moment they played Ed 1 I was in mess 😭
Jun 22, 2020 5:37 AM
Jun 2020
The saddest duel out of all animes, but luffy didn't fight at all so T_T
Jun 25, 2020 12:26 PM

Jun 2016
I haven’t had to watch with a box of tissues beside me in a while honestly. This episode was just cruel and beautiful and the best way to talk about it is to split between Sanji and Luffy. I’ll start with Sanji. To save Zeff he has given up everything, his dream and his friends. He has wholeheartedly decided that being a sacrifice is the way to go. The decision to fight Luffy was a powerful one, made more so because of the Usopp duel those years ago. Back then Zoro made a point, they aren’t playing pirates, you can’t leave and come back like it's nothing, and Sanji agreed, refusing to take Usopp in until he apologized. This fight was thus a declaration that he has left the crew and he will not be coming back easily. By acting tough and beating the hell out of his best friend, he would isolate himself from everyone and only he would have to suffer. Because even if Luffy can win against Big Mom, Zeff would likely be killed. In this way, Sanji's screams at Luffy to get out of his face and to use haki hurt because he truly wanted that. He didn’t want to nearly kill Luffy. He didn’t even want to fight Luffy. But he had to isolate himself.

I compared Sanji to Robin in Water 7 before but it feels more relevant to compare Sanji to Nami in Arlong arc. Just as Sanji is forced to betray the crew to prioritize others by a third party, so is Nami. And just as Zoro rolled into the water to kill himself in an attempt to call her bluff, Luffy did similar here. He knew that Sanji wanted to scare him away, going so far to use a similar line to Corazon’s ‘when stabbed it was you who was hurting’, so he did two things. He refused to fight back and he refused to defend himself. Even when Sanji left he made the statement clear, by sacrificing and isolating himself to keep both parties he loves from harm, Luffy will still die. This solution will not work! I do admit Big Mom is already Luffy's enemy, but I suppose Sanji would rather throw his life away and deal with this himself rather than risking everything without insurance, he may even feel responsible as this is his family and his issue to deal with.

It was a strong display from both parties. Strength in Sanji’s willingness to throw everything away to keep Zeff and the Straw Hats safe which had me begging him not to be so strong. And in Luffy who adamantly stood and refused to fall for the sake of getting through to his friend. Then f*cking MEMORIES played. The first ED which everyone wants to play at the end of the series. BUT NOT TO CELEBRATE, RATHER TO REMINISCE ON THE LOSS OF SANJI AS HE TELLS REIJU TO KEEP MOVING. It reminded me of the Devilman Crybaby motorcycle scene. It was a crushing move and I commend that!!!! To hear this song again in a context like this tore my heart out.

P.S. Reiju was the one who put Sanji's shackles on. At the time I was a little frustrated with the portrayal of Sanji so unguarded but Reiju is the only Vinsmoke who cares about Sanji in an explicit manner so I feel less perturbed about that now.
Sep 4, 2020 8:37 AM
Jul 2009
I was holding on, but when Luffy cried: "I can't be the pirate king without you"; I completly lost it.

Best episode in like what? 5 years.
Sep 14, 2020 10:12 AM

Mar 2020
I'll admit. I couldn't stop crying. I don't give a damn about all the recaps cus you know this pays to this. The music and the tragedy that Sanji and Luffy are growing through. It has me really heartbroken right now.
Oct 5, 2020 10:51 AM
Jan 2020
This episode was one of hell of emotional throwbacks to Luffy & Sanji'ss friendship.
Unlike Nami, Luffy understood that Sanji isn’t acting as he used to be something is wrong that's why he took Sanji's all kicks without dodging. Ever since the first episode Luffy may not have changed as character personality that's good because he understand his friends heart than anything.
Looking forward to next Act of Whole Cake Island arc.
Dec 31, 2020 2:24 PM

Apr 2020
This is one of the greatest One piece episodes of all time/
And thats a saying a lot.
Jan 14, 2021 9:50 PM
Jul 2018
this made me bawl my eyes out omg the second half..poor sanji had repressed his suffering so much till now
Mar 5, 2021 6:34 AM

Dec 2018
just cried with this episode ^^
Mar 8, 2021 11:07 AM

May 2017
Omg I knew this episode was gonna be hard, cause I read the manga and I've seen AMVs, but boy they really went all in with the feels in this double Special. Seeing Sanji crying and shaking just killed me. And then the Flashbacks with the music. This is true one piece art at it's finest. And the new opening is alsi absolutely amazing. Oh boy I can already feel the sadness creeping up again when Sanji finds out the truth about the wedding. Love Sanji so much.
Jun 5, 2021 10:06 AM
Jun 2021
This episode had everything from emotion to good animation this episode is made perfectly the first ending memories at the end of the episode luffys words to sanji i never thought i would say this but this might be my favorite episode of any show more than luffy vs ussop whole cake island in the new future may be my favorite arc of any show
Jun 5, 2021 10:06 AM
Jun 2021
This episode had everything from emotion to good animation this episode is made perfectly the first ending memories at the end of the episode luffys words to sanji i never thought i would say this but this might be my favorite episode of any show more than luffy vs ussop whole cake island in the new future may be my favorite arc of any show
Aug 3, 2021 10:36 PM

May 2016
The Straw Hat Pirates are very lucky to have a Captain that's as understanding as Luffy. No matter how hard he got beaten up by Sanji, he knew with every fiber of his being that he never would've resorted to doing all of this unless there's absolutely no other choice.

Once again, One Piece had me commencing the waterworks when Luffy promised Sanji that he'll be waiting for his cook on that very spot no matter what happens...

Aug 5, 2021 11:07 PM

Sep 2015
Was surprised how it was 26 minute long for this episode

In order for Luffy to truly be able to reach his goal and gain strength, he must intake all the blows dealt by Sanji and still withstand up and talk afterwards, if he is a captain that needs to surpass all his friends strength in order to be able to be capable of saving his own crew.

And an even more strong dedication that Luffy is willing to go for Sanji just by starving, just goes to show how serious and compelled he is for Sanji's circumeestance.
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Aug 20, 2021 1:16 AM

Jun 2019
Really heartbreaking to see two friends fighting. I felt so bad for Sanji and Luffy. The ED gave so much nostalgia to this episode.
Aug 31, 2021 7:05 PM

Dec 2020
My eyes are bursting out with tears now.One piece you have did it again first I thought luffy vs ussop was most emotional fight man now this.Hands down to Oda sensei.The end part was so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so emotional.
Dinorexy007Dec 18, 2021 5:33 AM

For your Information:

Sep 4, 2021 9:39 AM

Aug 2021
The ending 1st made me breakdown with all the happy/sad memories
Sep 16, 2021 9:15 PM
May 2012
I was hontestly expecting Luffy to fight back but what happened was so unexpected. One of the most emotional episodes for me.
Oct 2, 2021 8:13 PM
Nov 2015
One of the best no.1
Oct 31, 2021 11:50 AM
Jan 2017
The music, the flashbacks, the tears. Holy fuck, Oda really is the goat
Dec 15, 2021 11:08 PM
Feb 2021
hi, guys. just finished episode 808, and i fcking bawled my eyes out the entire episode. IT WAS SO HEARTBREAKING, WTF. it's only like 3pm here, and i think i'm gonna stop watching for now. i need time to heal and move on, lol. if any of your forgot, it was when
so, yeah, i just wanted to talk about it since none of my friends watch one piece. thanks, guys! ig i'll see y'all in wano in 2022.
Dec 18, 2021 5:21 AM
Jan 2021
Toei did a really good job in this one. I've never cried this hard since Water 7 Arc (the episode with Going Merry). This really shattered my soul. Honestly, I've been taking my time watching other anime just to prevent reaching this part of One Piece, I'm afraid to see Luffy and Sanji fighting. I can only take so much.

All the more reason for me to watch One Piece 'til I die. The Straw Hat Pirates have gone through so much pain. I wanna see how their bond gets stronger as they face these kinds of challenges. Oda never disappoints, after all.
Mar 12, 2022 4:59 AM

Jan 2014
this is tearjerker, but I do hope at least Luffy use his haki to defend to minimize the damage he receive. even though I am 100% sure sanji didn't stand a chance against luffy. no, the whole germa 66 is no match against luffy.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1101 Discussion ( 1 2 )

phantom346 - Apr 14

53 by AlexoYuki »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 242 Discussion

Kaito__Kid - Dec 2, 2009

39 by IvanTheWalker »»
Today, 8:09 AM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 397 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HydraA - Apr 19, 2009

91 by gannoncannon55 »»
Today, 12:36 AM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 396 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Somebody - Apr 12, 2009

195 by gannoncannon55 »»
Today, 12:15 AM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 395 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Somebody - Apr 5, 2009

76 by gannoncannon55 »»
Yesterday, 11:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.