Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 30, 2017 7:40 PM

Dec 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
THANK YOU SECOND HALF OF THE SPECIAL FOR ACTUALLY FORWARDING THE STORY AND BEING FUCKING AWESOME!!!!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Sep 30, 2017 8:06 PM

Apr 2016
as soon as Memories starting playing I lost it...
it hurts so much to see Sanji hitting Luffy like that...
like two friends you've known for a long time getting in a fight...
Sanji... TT^TT
the new opening is great too
Sep 30, 2017 8:18 PM
Jul 2017
Man that episode had me crying, the pacing was really good can't wait for the next episode.
Sep 30, 2017 8:23 PM

Dec 2009
One Piece at its best
Sep 30, 2017 8:25 PM

Apr 2014
I freaking had my heart shattered in this episode. WITHOUT YOU I CAN'T BE THE PIRATE KING! This freaking hit me hard. T_T this is how a true king and captain should do. Never leave anyone behind.
Sep 30, 2017 9:05 PM
Mar 2010
Damn, this episode stayed true to every essence of Oda's writing. Sanji's freaking torn inside, he has too much to protect yet he is unable given the circumstances. Luffy being the man he always was, is a real joy to watch! No One Piece next week though... which is a bummer~
nanyatimzSep 30, 2017 9:54 PM
Sep 30, 2017 10:17 PM

Jun 2014
Should have just adapted this "duel" as one episode. The first one was almost complete flashbacks and this one was also flashback-heavy (though not as bad as the previous episode).

This one-hour special is the epitome of what's wrong with long-running shows, and I'll never, for as long as I live, understand how some people out there legitimately prefer long-runners over the seasonal format of shows like Boku no Hero or Haikyuu or Shokugeki no Souma.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 30, 2017 10:29 PM
May 2015
Blackmailed Sanji.. Is this the same animation on Luffy vs Usopp or is it greater?
Sep 30, 2017 10:52 PM

Jan 2014
Toei really has a bad reputation, but my god they do key moments in the story FUCKING JUSTICE.

HOLY SHIT THAT WAS AMAZING IN EVERY WAY. Honestly that was better than reading it in the manga.

1000000/10 episode
Sep 30, 2017 11:14 PM

Dec 2011
I'm glad Toei give their all for this particular episode.
I really love that part in the manga and the anime did great covering it.
Oct 1, 2017 12:50 AM

Jul 2016
Was hoping for an actual fight.

The last scene of Luffy yelling out to Sanji was good but the beatdown before hand made me cringe.
Oct 1, 2017 1:03 AM

Jun 2014
Super strong episode! I noticed there were a lot of commericals spliced in between. Guess they really put out their A game when they know a lot of people are tuning in.

I hope the next part is done with justice. One of my favorite parts from the manga this arc.
Oct 1, 2017 1:07 AM

Jan 2016
This is the best One Piece episode in years, I was on the verge of tears!

So I don't watch the anime anymore but was gonna watch this special, and man was it worth it. TOEI animation delivered after years of bullshiting. The new opening is 10/10. The same person who made opening 14.

Man the feels, why can't the anime always be like this, also they used the first ending. I'M CRYIIIIIIIIIIING
Oct 1, 2017 1:10 AM

Jul 2008
Part 1 was totally useless but part 2...my god.

Luffy's speech and Memories...jesus Toei was can't you do this all the time?!

Manly tears....they have been shed.
Oct 1, 2017 1:12 AM

Oct 2009
I cried like a baby! This is up there with Merry's death.

The special itself was pretty bad until the last part, but dam it was so beautifully done! I wish TOEI gave a dam about the rest of the episodes like this :/
Oct 1, 2017 1:46 AM
Oct 2007
I feel like I have been trolled twice, Lol. The first part had just 3 seconds of actual contents and the second part I was expecting a duel but Luffy not fighting back so I had the same reaction as Sanji.

Still.. I enjoyed this episode tremendously, waiting for moments like this. This is how One Piece has survived more than 10 years and with 800+ episodes still counting.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2017 1:55 AM

Sep 2014
Ah..I missed that ending song, so beautiful, not sure if they should've used it here though.
Oct 1, 2017 2:31 AM

Sep 2014
At least the second half of this special nailed the whole scene. Poor Sanji has to do all this to protect everyone and ends up hurting himself more than the whole beating he gave to Luffy who actually saw through him. Toei maybe do lots of things wrong but when it comes to the heartbraking moments of this series they always do their absolute best.
Oct 1, 2017 3:10 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Hooray, a double premiere episode! The last time they did this for One Piece was a very long time ago, and it was Enies Lobby IIRC?

Part 1 had more flashbacks rather than actual content and it was disappointing, really. Part 2 is where the feels are. Wow... Not only Toei managed to deliver a heartbreaking duel between Luffy and Sanji, but they even brought back the song, Memories! I really miss that! As the montage of clips featuring the Straw Hat Pirates together were shown while this song plays, it was truly nostalgic and at the same time, very emotional.

Spectacular episode! There's even more in the next episode where Luffy would have to fight an enraged army by Big Mom....all by himself. I am loving these episodes, but episode 808 is going to be an unforgettable one.
Oct 1, 2017 3:23 AM

Aug 2017
This episode was really great.... made me cry!!

Oct 1, 2017 3:29 AM

Mar 2016
When the memories played in the end.. I really lost it! Sanji~ T____T Hang in there~ ㅠㅡㅠ
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2017 3:46 AM

Feb 2013
Sanji was too much, I know he was doing it for Zeff, but he could have kicked Luffy away from that place and tell Luffy the truth.
But I forgave him when I saw his tears, it was more painful for him.
Oct 1, 2017 4:05 AM
Aug 2015
So this was Luffy vs Sanji part 2? more like Luffy vs Sanji part 1 & 2 + Conclusion :p
Anyway, this episode was really good. It's really emotional. The part when Luffy shouting after the fight almost made me cry. Still dislike the recap/flashbacks though.. it made me cringe.
Oct 1, 2017 4:37 AM

Jun 2015
Dayum! that was hard to watch, shit bout to go down in the next few eps.
Oct 1, 2017 5:19 AM

Aug 2016
To be honest...I cried :( Such a sad but very strong scene. Such episodes are the reason I'm watching/reading One Piece.
I first feared that it would be too similar to Lysops "departure" during the Water Seven Arc but it was so well done.
(And kudos to Luffy and this never-swaying trust in his comrades. Doesn't matter if he acts too stupid from time to time. He's the best captain)
Oct 1, 2017 5:39 AM
Aug 2017
I love this episode
in my opinion this is the best episode of their
arrival in a large Mam island
the new opening is great too 👍
Yax-kunOct 1, 2017 5:52 AM
Oct 1, 2017 5:39 AM

Nov 2016
This was so rewarding after going through the first half, can't remember when I had such a blast with the anime.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 1, 2017 5:56 AM
Jun 2015
That beatdown though! Luffy got his skull shattered. Don't know how he's going to wait there and defeat Big Mom's battalion in his condition.
Oct 1, 2017 5:56 AM
Jul 2016
I just kept shaking and crying with my heart racing the whole time that I felt frightened of what was happening to me, It was my first time feeling like this
Oct 1, 2017 6:19 AM

Apr 2017
ohh man that was an awesome eps! Luffy maybe dumb but he understands his nakamas more than they do. this was so emotional this is the reason why i fucking love ONE PIECE!
Oct 1, 2017 6:29 AM
Apr 2017
I cried. So emotional. When I heart first ending I lost myself. Awesome episode, that's what One Piece can be. Loved it)
Oct 1, 2017 6:33 AM

Jan 2008
Would it kill them if they once coloured something that is black in manga, you know... black? Yeah, yeah, I'm perfectly aware that with black and white comic it doesn't mean that everything is only in monochrome, but seriously, I was hoping they would go with little black dress for Nami. Nope, not enough red in this arc. I get it that they have chosen bright palette for Zou and Whole Cake Island, but it still makes me wonder if there are any women on anime staff to tell those blokes that redheads look better in cool colours.

As for the conflict itself - I would believe it more if it was earlier in the series and we haven't already got two similar scenarios with Nami and Robin. Almost everything in this arc plot-wise is awesome save for all bits with Sanji because it's just rehashed stuff from Enies Lobby and Arlong Park to a lesser degree. One Piece lately got overboard with its tragic childhood flashbacks and sacrificing lately for me and as much as I was hyped for my husbando's backstory, I'd just wish it ended already. Too many traumatized children in this manga, Oda stahp.
Oct 1, 2017 6:38 AM

Dec 2014
That was fantastic, you can call me a biased fan but episodes like this is what makes me believe One Piece is one of the greatest series ever made.

The fight animation was fantastic, well done Toei. They can do it if they try but they rarely do, why is beyond me.

The Sanji vs Luffy duel had me tearing up but when Luffy finally started yelling at Sanji saying that through all this, he was the one who was hurting the most is so sad and I never stopped crying since. Not to mention Luffy saying that he'll never become Pirate King without Sanji, so damn emotional man.
This is one of the traits that make Luffy so endearing as both a character and a captain in context, his ability to instinctively recognize what his crew mates truly feel and act on it accordingly along with his ability to inspire emotion is what makes this trait of his so great.

Memories playing at the end is basically the seal on the coffin for me, I couldn't stop crying till the episode ended. I swear if they play Memories at the end of One Piece, It'll be the death of me. xD
Oct 1, 2017 7:25 AM

Jun 2016
Gilbeto_Rodela said:
Man that episode had me crying, the pacing was really good can't wait for the next episode.

same here,that episode had me crying like a baby.
Oct 1, 2017 7:29 AM

Sep 2008
I wasn't expecting this kind of fight, I wasn't ready to hear very first One Piece ending again. Once again, OP made me cry, damn.
Oct 1, 2017 8:01 AM

Jul 2010
For the love of God and the 80% of the ep of flashbacks :@ :@.
Oct 1, 2017 8:04 AM

Mar 2016
Episode 808 -best episode 'til now for me... Basically a 10/10! This time they really put effort into the episode...
Oct 1, 2017 8:13 AM

Apr 2015
Oh this was hard to watch, when I was reading manga awhile ago, there was not too much emotions like in anime. ~

This episode shows that Sanji will do anything for his friends. :)

Hahaha every time I see Luffy without teeth I laugh so hard.

5/5
Oct 1, 2017 9:14 AM

Sep 2015
The reuse animation are real its make me tears.
Into the Internet!
Oct 1, 2017 9:51 AM
Jul 2017
It was a really good episode i was really looking forward to it (cuz sanji is one of my favourite characters) but still would have prefered if luffy actually put some offence
Oct 1, 2017 10:05 AM

May 2016
Part 1 was bad but everything was worth it for part 2 geez I loved that Toei gave the best the possibly could with this episode animation was beautiful I wish One piece could be more like this episode more often.
Oct 1, 2017 10:29 AM

Jan 2014
PekiNN said:
Oh this was hard to watch, when I was reading manga awhile ago, there was not too much emotions like in anime. ~

This episode shows that Sanji will do anything for his friends. :)

Hahaha every time I see Luffy without teeth I laugh so hard.

5/5

I read both the manga and watch the show, and the Sanji Vs Luffy moment in the manga barely did anything for me I was just like : oh they're fighting, that's bad.

Watching the anime I was standing from my chair yelling at the screen with sheer hype, shaking with excitement and sadness

Toei does key moments WAAAAAAY better than the manga.
Oct 1, 2017 10:32 AM

Sep 2013
The fight was pretty good even with all the flashbacks and wanted posters interruptions.
Luffy, Sanji, Nami :'(
Oct 1, 2017 12:00 PM

Jan 2010
Wow that was bloody! I didn't expect Sanji to knock out Luffy's tooth.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
Oct 1, 2017 12:07 PM

Dec 2014
nice episode....Feeling bad for both sanji and luffy
Oct 1, 2017 12:15 PM

Mar 2014
How many years has it been since I've shed a tear for an anime..this special hit me so damn hard.

I am watching One Piece since 2002 and getting thoses flashbacks about the old times was really necessary for build up. Especially people who don't follow the OP manga/anime on a regular basis tend to forget o have not paid too much attention to the important details in the anime because of the slow pacing. But this special put every important factor from old episodes (like Cracker foreshadowing Sanji's behaviour and Sanji's goals as a pirate) into a short and compact way that I was left without words.
At first I felt hyped af but it slowly turned into a sad desperate mood and that hit me so damn hard that I had the impression I was feeling Sanji's pain with every kick he did to Luffy's face. And that's all although I am caught up with the manga.
I guess it's my deep love and caring for One Piece and the nostalgia factor.
Like when you follow something you love for years on a weekly basis it kinda gets "normal" to you, but this special made me feel that love for One Piece again.
Oct 1, 2017 12:37 PM
Aug 2014
Dropped the manga at Zou because I'm not really a fan of the OP manga and dropped the anime at the end of Dressrosa because it became unwatchable since the time skip.

Finally they put the same amount of effort into an episode as they did pre time skip. Immediately you can see how awesome this anime can be if they try.

9/10
Oct 1, 2017 1:52 PM
May 2017
Poor sanji , he had not any choice, he just want for not losing anyone 😢
Oct 1, 2017 2:37 PM

Aug 2012
The tears and snot wouldnt stop coming out. One of the reasons I LOVE One Piece! Why I love Luffy; that he could see through Sanji's bullshit and still have faith in him and their friendship.
Oct 1, 2017 3:13 PM

Oct 2015
1 hour special basically 15% story 85% flashbacks of scenes you saw like 3-5 episodes ago...really toei (facepalm) well at least the "fight" was "ok"...
iTzKenzoOct 1, 2017 3:16 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 402 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ishmael - May 24, 2009

82 by gannoncannon55 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 401 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ishmael - May 16, 2009

73 by gannoncannon55 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 400 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Miked - May 9, 2009

135 by gannoncannon55 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 399 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faded_Star - Feb 14, 2009

92 by gannoncannon55 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 398 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HydraA - Apr 26, 2009

95 by gannoncannon55 »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.