Forum Settings
Forums

Have you read any holy book or sacred texts?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 13, 2010 3:37 AM

Feb 2008
fai-san said:
Hmm.. The first few pages of the bible.

The first few pages were about genesis, a God creating a world. Right?
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name. The nameless is the beginning of heaven and Earth. The named is the mother of the ten thousand things.
I do not recall, Jesus ever saying "build churches, temples, and kill those who doesn't follow christianity..." nor he said "christianity is religion".
News for VN immigrants in EU: vietinfo.eu

Mar 13, 2010 3:40 AM

Sep 2009
spupapi said:
TrollTrooper said:

philosophy students and religous student are the cancer of this world.

How and why? Goverment doesn't like philosophy students but i don't know about religionous ones. The goverment doesn't like teaching philosophy at young age, because you develop your thinking and your thoughts. Which is bad for some goverment. Philosophers usualy has some impact and influence on people around him, and some philosophers even use it, to abuse and manipulate other people, which is bad of coure.

You blame everything on gaverment, thats why. get a proper job like the resst of us you lazy bums

I am watching you masturbate....you're good.
Mar 13, 2010 3:43 AM

Feb 2008
TrollTrooper said:
spupapi said:
TrollTrooper said:

How and why? Goverment doesn't like philosophy students but i don't know about religionous ones. The goverment doesn't like teaching philosophy at young age, because you develop your thinking and your thoughts. Which is bad for some goverment. Philosophers usualy has some impact and influence on people around him, and some philosophers even use it, to abuse and manipulate other people, which is bad of coure.

You blame everything on gaverment, thats why. get a proper job like the resst of us you lazy bums

Haha, up to what philosopher you talk about. But most of philosopher doesn't blame goverment. You're misleading it with politicians who are philosophers.
Money is only thing, that was created by human, not nature. So don't take everything granted, if you have money.
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name. The nameless is the beginning of heaven and Earth. The named is the mother of the ten thousand things.
I do not recall, Jesus ever saying "build churches, temples, and kill those who doesn't follow christianity..." nor he said "christianity is religion".

Mar 13, 2010 4:15 AM

Dec 2007
I read various occult texts, manly grimoires concerning Chaos Magick.
I started on "The Lesser Key of Solomon", but I'm too lazy to read e-books.
Mar 13, 2010 4:15 AM

Sep 2009
spupapi said:
TrollTrooper said:
spupapi said:
TrollTrooper said:

Haha, up to what philosopher you talk about. But most of philosopher doesn't blame goverment. You're misleading it with politicians who are philosophers.
Money is only thing, that was created by human, not nature. So don't take everything granted, if you have money.

whats that got to do with religous and philosopical nonsense that does nothing but keep people locke4d in meaningless debate for no worth.

the crux of the issue is that the world provides everything we need, the debate is how much we take and how. The how is what people do to live. the means to survive. not everyone wants to eat berrys and potatoes, some of us like meat.

metapysical philosophy on god and the universre it pointless dead end conversation that leads to no food being on my plate so its a waste of my time.

give me a means of survival that meet my requirements with benifit to all mankind, or stop talking. better still stop trying to place blame on a goverment that gives you the means to even talk to me in such arrogant and disrepectfull ways.

what have you done latley except start a pointless topic.

get out.

I am watching you masturbate....you're good.
Mar 13, 2010 4:18 AM

Feb 2008
TrollTrooper said:
spupapi said:
TrollTrooper said:
spupapi said:
TrollTrooper said:

whats that got to do with religous and philosopical nonsense that does nothing but keep people locke4d in meaningless debate for no worth.

the crux of the issue is that the world provides everything we need, the debate is how much we take and how. The how is what people do to live. the means to survive. not everyone wants to eat berrys and potatoes, some of us like meat.

metapysical philosophy on god and the universre it pointless dead end conversation that leads to no food being on my plate so its a waste of my time.

give me a means of survival that meet my requirements with benifit to all mankind, or stop talking. better still stop trying to place blame on a goverment that gives you the means to even talk to me in such arrogant and disrepectfull ways.

what have you done latley except start a pointless topic.

get out.

If that's what you think, fine. I respect you for your honest answer and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Mar 13, 2010 5:55 AM

Mar 2009
Not much, except for some Bible excerpts and Buddhist texts.
Mar 13, 2010 5:51 PM

Oct 2008
I love going through religious beliefs because they inspire me to make stories or works of art. I usually go through that kind of stuff only if it interests me enough, but I just don't make it part of my own beliefs.
Mar 13, 2010 6:00 PM

Feb 2008
Artixte said:
I love going through religious beliefs because they inspire me to make stories or works of art. I usually go through that kind of stuff only if it interests me enough, but I just don't make it part of my own beliefs.

And what thoughts, beliefs inspire you the most? I guess you're Vietnamese, so maybe Buddhism or Zen?

Mar 13, 2010 6:55 PM

Oct 2008
I honestly don't have a particular belief or train of thought that inspires me most. I tend to jump from each belief and their perspectives; Buddhism, Christianity, Atheism, etc.

When I write, I write stories with some of those beliefs held to different characters and exemplify the issues and influences it has on the plot, etc. Same goes for art. That's kind of my thing, I love learning from different perspectives and creating different POVs..
Mar 14, 2010 4:13 AM
Feb 2010
I have read some chapters from the bible, but that's about it.

Even though I'm not really religious, I found it quite interesting.
Mar 14, 2010 4:50 AM

Oct 2007
Fell asleep while reading the bible while reading through the genealogy bits.
I don't care who begath who! Please, for the love of God, cut those parts out!
Like in ''good old times'', make a council and revise the book by voting on stuff, just like when it was decided witch gospels to include.
Mar 14, 2010 4:59 AM

Mar 2010
I read the part in the bible about the Apocalypse...that was about it. I found it interesting, but I don't know if I believe in it happening or not.
Mar 14, 2010 5:50 AM

Mar 2010
None

my sacred and holy books are shoujou romance mangas.
Sig deleted for being obnoxious.
Mar 14, 2010 10:20 PM

May 2009
Read a lot of them. Perhaps too much. It made me realize a few things that can't be conveyed with mere words; but I do agree implicitly with this : If you meet Buddha on the road, KILL him.

'Nuff said.
Mar 14, 2010 10:30 PM

Jan 2010
Had to read the bible alot when I was young for religion class, since I lived in the Philippines before. Other than that, a couple of passages from others like the Koran, Popol Vuh, Torah,etc. for understanding history.
Score Criteria:
Apr 7, 2010 1:36 PM

Jan 2009
Read the Bible once, it made me question the existence of God.
Apr 7, 2010 3:56 PM

Apr 2008
While I have read so many things which might qualify as scripture that it would be easier to list what I know I have not read, I think it would be easiest to list only the most sacred thing that I have read.

This.
Apr 7, 2010 3:58 PM

Dec 2009
i read the wiki page of the bible
Apr 7, 2010 4:01 PM

Apr 2009
I read the bible. Fairly entertaining read, I can see how it is so popular.

I think people take it a bit seriously though.
Apr 7, 2010 4:21 PM

Sep 2009
I read the Bible (including the Torah). I think some of the stories are pretty fun when re-written by more entertaining authors, but the endless genealogies, lists of all the foods and measurements, and extremely un-elaborated style of the actual Bible bored me to tears. Glad I read it, though parts of it were rather offensive to me.

I read the Dhammapada. Nice, quick read. Most of it is common sense, but there's a number of insights that really spoke powerfully to me. It always manages to calm, center, and relax me. Also read various Buddhist sutras and discourses.

I read the Tao Te Ching. It is my absolute favorite spiritual text. I read it over and over again. The inherently vague and paradoxical nature of the Tao Te Ching makes it difficult to translate, but I've read several versions. My favorite is the translation by Ellen M. Chen which keeps all the references to "darkness" (it's a very dark-centric book, really!) and has a very thorough commentary that talks about the many interpretations of the original words.

I read the Book of Coming Forth by Day. It is the Egyptian guide to the afterlife. Very interesting! Lots of great hymns to the gods. Also read other Egyptian hymns to the gods and translated stories.

I read some translated Homeric hymns to the gods as well as translated stories and hymns to Inanna from ancient Sumer.

I intend to read the Tibetan Book of the Dead sometime, too. I started to but got distracted. I tried reading the Bhagavad Gita a lot time ago, too, but I don't think I finished. Need to read that again. I also read many other mythologies, such as of the Norse, Greeks, Celts, Slavs, Hopi, Navajo, etc... not in the original (or translated) form, though, only retold.

I like learning about religions! ^_^
Neiru2013Apr 7, 2010 4:30 PM
Apr 7, 2010 7:12 PM

Sep 2009
I should read more of the Bible given how I'm a Catholic and all. :[
Apr 7, 2010 7:30 PM

Sep 2009
The bible, including the jewish version.
Apr 7, 2010 7:36 PM

Jan 2009
I've read bits and parts of the bible and I've heard it preached it. None of it really ever stuck with me except the one passage Samuel Jackson said in Pulp Fiction.

Criticker|Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love,|Last.fm
the things you are, and the things you never want to lose.

Apr 7, 2010 11:26 PM

Oct 2008
Being a regular high school student, I have been forced to be taught in religions.
Hence I have read stuff from the Quaran, Bible, Buddhist scripts, Existential and other religious texts.

Ask me if I remember any of it though...
行けー幼子兵器!あれは木端微塵に粉砕しろ!
Apr 8, 2010 6:09 AM

Apr 2008
More than what I desired, honestly.
Apr 11, 2010 9:24 PM

Oct 2009
Victoria's Secret
IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 11, 2010 9:40 PM

Jan 2010
^Wth are with your posts in GD..
------

Solcoud said:
The bible, including the jewish version.

Isn't that the same thing practically?
LOL

I mean, the Old testament is what the Jewish use as a bible isn't it?
The Hebrew scriptures if you want to give it another name.

---------

I've read the bible references many times in school and tried to interpret them (I go to a Catholic school though I'm fairly nonreligious).
To me it's not exactly that good at teaching lol.
Apr 12, 2010 5:14 AM
Apr 2010
Yes. The Bible to be exact. I've only read a few books and I go from time to time to the songs, psalms, proverbs, etc. books if I have nothing to do or if I feel like it. That's pretty much it.
Apr 13, 2010 6:26 PM

May 2009
i dont read ny holy books or sacred texts
Apr 13, 2010 6:43 PM

Jul 2008
I have a Bible at home, a graduation gift from the faculty of my primary school. However, I don't read it. My parents put me into a Catholic school not because we're religious but because the overall quality of education was higher.

To be perfectly frank, when I read a children's version of the Bible with major stories and illustrations, I liked it. I was also young and they sugarcoated a lot of things to make them easier to digest. I've seen some passages from time to time that make me cringe. I understand that those passages would not apply to today's society anymore, but simply seeing them, in written form, makes me upset. I'd rather not read any of it at all.

I am the senpai that notices you.

Apr 13, 2010 6:51 PM

May 2009
nyone here heard of Ramayan and Mahabharat ??
they r like a hindu version of bible
Apr 13, 2010 8:04 PM

May 2008
I don't read any holy or sacred texts. . .

Apr 13, 2010 8:38 PM

Jan 2010
raghunandan said:
nyone here heard of Ramayan and Mahabharat ??
they r like a hindu version of bible

Their not different versions of the bible. Their both major Sanscrit epics of ancient India. Their only similar to the bible in that they are made up of stories.
Score Criteria:
Apr 13, 2010 9:31 PM

Dec 2008
My family is for the most part Catholic (my dad is the sole exception; he's either atheist or agnostic, it's hard to tell and he's never cared to explicitly state which he is) so I've read parts of the Bible. I know the more well-known stories of the Old Testament (e.g. Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden, Moses and the freeing of the Israelite slaves, etc.) and I've read almost all of the New Testament.

I also took a World Religions course so I did read some snippets of certain sacred texts. However, I don't really remember a whole lot about them. I just remember the overall concepts of each religion we covered =/
Apr 18, 2010 6:11 PM
Jan 2010
that stuff is boring, yo!
CANCER!
LOL!
Apr 18, 2010 9:51 PM

Nov 2007
SaraSlurpsCoffee said:
The bible's actually got some interesting stuff in it, though I'm put off by the fact that it sounds like it's been written by a five year old.

The language or the content? Also, what version did you read? There's tons and tons of versions.

The Bible and parts of the Quaran/Koran.
Apr 18, 2010 10:03 PM

Mar 2009
I'm reading the Upanishads right now.
"When he will, the weary world
Of the senses closely curled
Like a serpent round his heart
Shakes herself and stands apart."
- A.C., Equinox I/I
Apr 19, 2010 6:18 AM

Jun 2009
Ive read the Bible a couple of times and a lot of Religious books :)
and it was pretty neat, especially the revelations. lol

Thank you to Cyruz-chama for patiently helping me with my siggy ;)

Apr 19, 2010 6:53 AM

Aug 2008
Touched mainly Tanakh (Old Testament).

Read all of Torah and about half of Nevi'im (stopped after Melakhim). Didn't really read Ketuvim.

Even though I'm far from being Atheist, I think of it more as of history book rather than sacred texts. Well, it's probably just me.
Apr 24, 2010 6:21 AM
Nov 2009
I've read sizable chunks of the bible, but not cover-to-cover just yet. 'Will be getting onto that.

Apr 24, 2010 6:26 AM

Apr 2010
No. But I like the gore and stuff in it...it's like a fairytale
Apr 24, 2010 9:39 AM

Aug 2009
I tried reading the Bible. I got bored.

Although, I would like to read about Yin and Yang someday.
Apr 24, 2010 10:00 AM

Nov 2008
AssesOfFire said:
Victoria's Secret

lol

Bible, Quran, and I Ching.

Apr 24, 2010 10:30 AM

Dec 2009
Read the Bible, some Buddhism texts.
Also the Quran for comparison with the Christian culture / belief.
It's quite interesting if you pick a certain sensitive area to start comparing and see the history of human civilization. It's actually continuing to change right now.
Apr 24, 2010 10:53 PM
Aug 2009
Read some texts from the Bible.
Apr 24, 2010 11:06 PM

Apr 2010
I've been wanting to read some of the Bible for a while, but I've got other books, more pressing ones, on my hands right now.
Apr 26, 2010 8:28 AM

Nov 2007
Read the Bible.

A part of the Book Of Mormon.

Would love to read the Quran. As well as the Hindu sacred texts.

Personally I find religious texts rather fascinating. And I would like to, at some point in my life, read pretty much all of them I can find.
Apr 26, 2010 8:31 AM

Apr 2010
I go to a catholic school so we have to read the Bible/those parables/verses coming from the Bible all the time.
Apr 26, 2010 8:34 AM

Dec 2009
No.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.