Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 26, 2017 11:32 PM
Sep 2007
Before:

Now:

Even with setting such as that of Pokemon, do you think in todays time, that it would be possible to have anime that is, well, not so much lighthearted?

Putting aside the fact that Pokemon anime already is series where kids beat up beings that have feelings, using their own kind, and then use them as gladiators, while still calling them friends.
Sep 26, 2017 11:33 PM

Jan 2013
Yeah, I think those Pokemon specials they were putting out for each region are a testament to that.

It's not like they completely shy away from more mature topics (war, death, etc) to begin with.
Sep 26, 2017 11:35 PM
Aug 2014
Would be amazing if they actually adapted Pokemon Adventures.
Sep 26, 2017 11:37 PM
Sep 2007
I heard that manga actually have good story, and Red is much better protagonist than Satoshi.
Sep 26, 2017 11:40 PM
Aug 2014
Psajdak said:
I heard that manga actually have good story, and Red is much better protagonist than Satoshi.

Yeah, imo the characters are far more likable and the manga is actually capable of telling a decent story, for Pokemon-standards at least.
Sep 27, 2017 12:33 AM

Mar 2017
No. Because the premise does not work. Much of the logic in the Pokemon world simply doesn't allow for more complicated stories where its flaws would be more and more glaring.

But I do have a Pokemon fan fiction I'm nursing.

The first order of business for me was to rework the concept of the Pokedex. The Pokedex in the games is bullshit. You don't trust a 10 year old to make an encyclopedia. The anime is no better.

So instead I decided to make the Pokedex an ecologist's tool in that helps Pokemon ecologists keep track of Pokemon population dynamics by entrusting Pokedex to trainers as a favor to gather in-field relevant data such as herd movements and status of the keystone species as well as changes in abiotic factors. You know how in real life, certain species of insects can indicate the water quality? Stuff like that. Once a trainer uses the Pokedex, it scans the surroundings and update the data to a central server. The trainers in turn would have a handheld encyclopedia with nesting habits, breeding habits, and tips on how to raise each species. A win-win for both sides.

I feel like changes like that needs to begin first.
EankiSep 27, 2017 12:38 AM
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Sep 27, 2017 12:41 AM

Sep 2017
It might or it might not. Remember when Mahou shoujo is not supposed to be dark? Madoka happened and changed the genre then mahou shoujo ikusei keikaku and yuuki yuuna happened. I think if it becomes successful the next pokemon adaptations will follow it. If not successful then not.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Sep 27, 2017 1:00 AM

Apr 2017
where were you when pokemon became POKEMEN?
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Sep 27, 2017 1:04 AM

Jul 2013
Your pictures have nothing to do with seriousness in Pokemon, it's simply a comparison of old - modern anime. If anything the newer one appears more mature, given the details of the muscles, whereas the older one is just pancake.

As for the topic at hand, I can't stand the recent Pokemon series, of course i'm no longer the target audience though. I wouldn't mind a more mature Pokemon series, but for now I'm content with Pokemon Origins.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Sep 27, 2017 1:10 AM
Jul 2018
Why is it impossible to make an anime adaption of that: https://myanimelist.net/manga/928/Pocket_Monsters_Special ? :(

Tho I have to agree (not because of the pictures like wtf? XD) that the older series was more serious. At least the movies / the first movie: Mewtwo with a very intense backstory, a scientist and his deceased daughter with a very intense backstory; questioning science ethics and humanity etc...
And the newest one, I think it was the Hoopa-movie? That's really just a cute movie for children. ^^" tho yes, it was cute.
It always was in the children-demographic ofc, but I think they don't have the guts now to tell such stories again with this target audience?

Tho, it's quite the opposite with the story of the games now. I mean, Gladio and Lilly...
removed-userSep 27, 2017 1:17 AM
Sep 27, 2017 1:11 AM

Sep 2009
Yeah, I really wish pokemon would go back to the good ol' days where stuff was hardcore, *erm, Mewtwo Strikes Back
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 27, 2017 1:23 AM

Aug 2017
le_halfhand_easy said:
No. Because the premise does not work. Much of the logic in the Pokemon world simply doesn't allow for more complicated stories where its flaws would be more and more glaring.

The first order of business for me was to rework the concept of the Pokedex. The Pokedex in the games is bullshit. You don't trust a 10 year old to make an encyclopedia. The anime is no better.

So instead I decided to make the Pokedex an ecologist's tool in that helps Pokemon ecologists keep track of Pokemon population dynamics by entrusting Pokedex to trainers as a favor to gather in-field relevant data such as herd movements and status of the keystone species as well as changes in abiotic factors. You know how in real life, certain species of insects can indicate the water quality? Stuff like that. Once a trainer uses the Pokedex, it scans the surroundings and update the data to a central server. The trainers in turn would have a handheld encyclopedia with nesting habits, breeding habits, and tips on how to raise each species. A win-win for both sides.

I think it can work as spinoff- not replacing the endless main series.
I like how Digimon reboot the series into something different every time.
"I'm tired, Boss. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly at each other."
- John Coffey, Green Miles
Sep 27, 2017 1:27 AM
Jul 2018
Well.... Lorelei seems kinda fit tho
removed-userSep 27, 2017 1:31 AM
Sep 27, 2017 1:47 AM
Feb 2014
There are already serious episodes though..
Sep 27, 2017 2:19 AM
Sep 2017
It's a shame I'll be as good as the first 3 seasons

FEMINISM IS CANCER!!!!!
Sep 27, 2017 3:16 AM

Oct 2014
le_halfhand_easy said:

They better just let the characters be teens than 10 yr olds.
I mean would you let your 10 yr kid go all alone in a world where beings like Drifloon or Hypno and team ******* exists without a guardian?

At least black and white thought about that and made the main characters Teenagers instead of 10 yr olds.
Sep 27, 2017 3:25 AM

Jan 2009
If they made an anime that's like the Festival of Champions(doujinshi), it would be an actually good series.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Sep 27, 2017 3:27 AM

Dec 2013
I remember really enjoying Pokemon Adventures manga but I haven't read the series in a long time.
Sep 27, 2017 8:05 AM
Aug 2011
Given how they are hinting at the stuff from the Sun and Moon story in the games with Lillie and the Aether Foundation I could see it getting dark.
Sep 27, 2017 8:22 AM

Feb 2015
I think no matter how the change in artstyle, Pokemon will still be targeted at young audiences.
Sep 27, 2017 10:49 AM

Apr 2015
Psajdak said:
Before:

Now:

Even with setting such as that of Pokemon, do you think in todays time, that it would be possible to have anime that is, well, not so much lighthearted?

Putting aside the fact that Pokemon anime already is series where kids beat up beings that have feelings, using their own kind, and then use them as gladiators, while still calling them friends.

...Last I recalled you took a vacation from MAL. Welcome back. I'll still talk to you despite what you asked months ago.

And yes, I think a slightly more 'mature' Pokémon series could work. I'm not saying it should go into fanfiction grimdark territory with pokephilia, genocide, and every-loss-is-death like some nuzlocke. But introducing more complex and darker topics like death on a small scale, political debates, and abuse (not grimdark abuse) of pokemon could actually bring some interest back into the series.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Sep 27, 2017 1:21 PM

May 2016
I don't think so, because then (as you mentioned) you'd have to get into the ethics of capturing and forcing animals to fight eachother in a semi-realistic setting, which just wouldn't work. Unless you're Michael Vick, Pokemon requires a bit of suspension of disbelief to enjoy.
Sep 27, 2017 4:40 PM
Sep 2007
InsaneLeader13 said:
...Last I recalled you took a vacation from MAL. Welcome back. I'll still talk to you despite what you asked months ago.
Ummm...
Sorry, I did took a vacation, that's true, but I have no idea who are you.
Sep 27, 2017 4:48 PM

Apr 2014
Well, it can work, but the setting would be vastly different, and we would need a drastic change in characters.
Sep 27, 2017 4:59 PM
Sep 2016
le_halfhand_easy said:

Completely agree with this. It's a fan fiction I have thought of writing too, but when you try and make a decent story out of it, it has such a huge limitation. You would have to reconstruct the entire Pokemon universe to make it work, which could put some fans off.

You mention the pokedex which I completely agree - I really like your interpretation. It would have to show really nifty features that only trainers could have access to, as anyone can look up 'how to' guides from library's and the Pokemon world's equivalent of the internet.

I also question the validity of Pokemon battles - too much fan fiction write Pokemon battles as if they are from the show, just writing constant attack names, which is incredibly dull and boring , I often would skim read these to get to the next block of the story. I would actually probably avoid stuff like writing about a Pokemon league and such, make it a much more personal story between trainer and Pokemon, and the trainers relationship to other characters in the story.

It's a tricky story to interpret that's for sure. Good luck. I do think Pokemon could become more serious but it requires a lot of work.
Sep 27, 2017 5:01 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
isnt that essentially what "the origin" was?
Sep 27, 2017 5:09 PM

Apr 2012
Like ppl have already said, an anime adaptation of the Pokemon Adventures manga is exactly what "a bit more serious pokémon anime" would be, and it would be amazing to witness.

The manga is great, likeable characters and interesting backstories, and of course i'd love to see my waifu Blue on screen <3 And badass Team Rocket Sabrina, as well as the rest of the gym leaders, who actually have a role in the overall plot… that would be great to watch.

Sadly it'll probably never happen.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 27, 2017 6:42 PM

Apr 2015
Psajdak said:
InsaneLeader13 said:
Ummm...
Sorry, I did took a vacation, that's true, but I have no idea who are you.

It's ok. We've crossed paths alot on this site's forums. You honestly can't stand me because of my favorites and my mindset, hence why you asked me to stop talking to you several months back. But I'll keep talking to you, because as long as you keep having interesting questions and a memorable MAL forum image, I see no reason to stop.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Sep 30, 2017 7:18 PM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime Discussion
Sep 30, 2017 10:35 PM

Jun 2013
pokemon xyz was actually more serious than your usual pokemon arc. Plus the pokemon adventures and the pokemon origins series were pretty serious, considering the games had a serious storyline in them as well.

it depends on your presepective on serious, like if you want pokemon to die or introduce death, that wont happen, apart from the marowak and the recent episode of i think stoutland.

Tl;dr
yes it is possible
Dec 4, 2017 4:22 AM

Dec 2008
nymi said:
Madoka happened and changed the genre.

Madoka invented nothing. We've had dark mahou shoujo for ages. Remember Rayearth?
Dec 5, 2017 8:02 PM

Feb 2008
"Would a bit more serious Pokemon anime work?"
*Looks at Digimon*
"Yes"
Feb 6, 2018 12:22 PM

Jan 2018
Revillo_Phoenix said:
*Looks at Digimon*
"Yes"

Thats what Pokemon was, and likely once again will be. A little change of pace to understand the characters a little more is a good thing in my opinion
Feb 6, 2018 1:54 PM

Feb 2008
iGPLTV said:
Revillo_Phoenix said:
*Looks at Digimon*
"Yes"

Thats what Pokemon was, and likely once again will be. A little change of pace to understand the characters a little more is a good thing in my opinion

Pokemon never got as serious as Digimon.
Feb 7, 2018 5:19 PM

Jan 2018
Revillo_Phoenix said:
iGPLTV said:

So what? Does it really need to be? Plus I doubt you have watched the first Pokemon movie, or XY&Z (your profile doesn't say you did watch XY&Z anyway), but seriously. This is a as intense as you SHOULD get for a kids show. This isn't fucking Tokyo Ghoul.
Feb 7, 2018 5:37 PM

Dec 2016
It may or it may not work, I can't know, but I do know I would never watch it. To me the name and brand of Pokemon was, is and will always be associated with lightheartedness and innocence and that's the way I always want to remember it.
Feb 12, 2018 2:34 PM
Dec 2014
I only watch one pokemon movie and I don't remember which one but it was serious and I liked it so yeah it would be a lot better if it the anime was serious.
Feb 18, 2018 2:54 PM

Feb 2008
iGPLTV said:
Revillo_Phoenix said:

So what? Does it really need to be? Plus I doubt you have watched the first Pokemon movie, or XY&Z (your profile doesn't say you did watch XY&Z anyway), but seriously. This is a as intense as you SHOULD get for a kids show. This isn't fucking Tokyo Ghoul.

Well you have to re check my profile then cause I saw everything Pokemon up to where Sun and Moon is.

Also I'm simply talking about the topic, don't have to get all riled up about it. ^^"

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon Sun & Moon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kensai-Serazu - Nov 17, 2016

105 by crackingfeetlol »»
Mar 29, 11:32 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Sun & Moon Episode 146 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ri22rk - Nov 3, 2019

52 by leanrv »»
Feb 22, 11:16 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Sun & Moon Episode 144 Discussion

Ri22rk - Oct 20, 2019

28 by leanrv »»
Feb 20, 5:44 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Sun & Moon Episode 143 Discussion

Ri22rk - Oct 13, 2019

18 by leanrv »»
Feb 14, 6:02 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Sun & Moon Episode 139 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Crzykido - Sep 15, 2019

58 by leanrv »»
Feb 7, 10:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.