Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 25, 2017 6:54 PM

Jan 2017
I've been dreading to watch the new owarimonogatari that came out this season but currently stuck on this other one that I haven't been able to finish. For people who already watched it, do I need to watch the other arcs (in airing order) to know what's going on in owarimonogatari? (I've watched Bakemonogatari and Monogatari S2)

ty ^_^
KhoalaSenpaiSep 25, 2017 7:05 PM
El Psy Congroo
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 25, 2017 6:57 PM
Mar 2017
As far as I know, if you're planning on skipping over Bakemonogatari, don't.
There's allot of good episodes, arcs, and scenes you'd be missing.
Plus that's where allot of the main character's origin stories begin.
Sep 25, 2017 7:09 PM

Oct 2015
might as well also skip the beginning of fairy tail to get to 2014 while you're at it
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Sep 25, 2017 7:10 PM
Sep 2017
Might as well watch season 2 before season 1

FEMINISM IS CANCER!!!!!
Sep 25, 2017 7:11 PM

Jan 2017
Scarlett_ryuken said:
might as well also skip the beginning of fairy tail to get to 2014 while you're at it
Nah actually, already watched all of fairy tail - from the beginning
El Psy Congroo
Sep 25, 2017 7:13 PM

Oct 2015
you missed the point, no dont fcking skip
its liek skipping the non filler parts of fairy tail
its retarded
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Sep 25, 2017 7:14 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
I mean, from where you currently are you'll be missing out on some things. I'd say just keep watching all of it really.
Sep 25, 2017 7:15 PM

Jun 2014
That's just absurd.

I skipped FT, but read its manga so was able to watch 2014. Don't do it. Skipping it would be a really bad decision.
Sep 25, 2017 7:16 PM

Jul 2017
none of them there all fucking awesome
Sep 25, 2017 7:16 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
oh look Monogatari thread number???????

why do ppl keep asking about watching order? just watch everything the order it came out

tf is so difficult about that?
Sep 25, 2017 7:17 PM

Feb 2016
I don't really recommend skipping any parts especially to get to Owarimonogatari. Owari S2 references a good variety of past arcs and it wouldn't be the same if you started from there. Pretty positive Owari S2 starts directly after the last episode of Koyomimonogatari and you'd be pretty confused on why those events took place.
Sep 25, 2017 7:19 PM

Jan 2015
You can't skip any part in Monogatari. None of the arcs are even that long.
Sep 25, 2017 7:22 PM

Jun 2014
For me, I will never understand this mindset. TV has always been about watching the story from start to finish normally. Not sure why people make strategies to watch anime whether it be 2x speed, skipping arcs or other things.

This is truly an anime fan thing.
Sep 25, 2017 7:24 PM

Feb 2016
it's like a puzzle; you can skip things like Neko:Kuro & Hana and still be able to get the main picture, however you'll miss some parts.
Sep 25, 2017 7:38 PM

Apr 2016
Don't fucking skip anything, it's not even a long running series.
Just watch everything in release order. And yeah some people might say skip Koyomimonogatari and only watch last two episodes, but i repeat "Don't skip anything".
Sep 25, 2017 7:43 PM

Jul 2017
No, I don't think it's okay.
Owarimonogatari2 is much better if you are attached to the series.
Sep 25, 2017 7:45 PM
Mar 2017
Kagami said:
For me, I will never understand this mindset. TV has always been about watching the story from start to finish normally. Not sure why people make strategies to watch anime whether it be 2x speed, skipping arcs or other things.

lol. There's allot of times where I actually pause the video while I'm watching Bakemonogatari in order to read some of text that will quickly pop up on the screen.
Also I'm not sure how anyone could watch the series in 2x speed without constantly accidentally skipping past subbed lines of dialogue.
Sep 25, 2017 7:45 PM
Jul 2018
Bake may not be the best part of the series, but you do need to watch it if you're gonna understand the show
Sep 25, 2017 7:51 PM

Apr 2017
I have a dif question, does it get better after bakemonogatari? Cause I watched it and I though it was good, but nothing too impressive.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2017 8:20 PM
Mar 2017
@nose1234, Don't worry, it changes.
Nisemonogatari is allot more laid back from what I've heard.
I also heard it's the title with the most fanservice as well.

I'm sure looking forward to watching Nise.
Sep 25, 2017 8:23 PM
Jul 2018
you can't skip anything period. and you should watch it in light novel order (intended order by author)
order is: bake > kizu > nise > neko > 2nd season > hana > tsuki > koyomi >owari
people used to recommend air order but that's not the correct order anymore since kizumonogatari is finally out.
removed-userSep 25, 2017 9:03 PM
Sep 25, 2017 8:27 PM

Sep 2007
Why are there like 100 threads like this on mal, watch the show in AIRING order NOT chronological and no you can't skip anything, watch it properly jesus is it really that hard???
Sep 25, 2017 8:27 PM

Aug 2016
nose1234 said:
I have a dif question, does it get better after bakemonogatari? Cause I watched it and I though it was good, but nothing too impressive.

If you are watching airing order, then I personally enjoyed Monogatari: Second Season, Kizumonogatari II & III and Owarimonogatari 2nd season the most
Sep 25, 2017 8:32 PM

Sep 2009
Of course. We all know you're in it just for the

and the
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 25, 2017 8:38 PM

Nov 2013
Maybe Koyomimonogatari, since I think it's all side stories. That's the only one I haven't seen yet. Definitely watch the rest though.
Sep 25, 2017 8:42 PM

Jan 2008
Blarey said:
Maybe Koyomimonogatari, since I think it's all side stories. That's the only one I haven't seen yet.

The last couple episodes are directly linked to Owarimonogatari and there's a minor reference or two in an earlier episode of Koyomin to Owari as well IIRC.
Sep 25, 2017 8:44 PM
Jan 2015
Blarey said:
Maybe Koyomimonogatari, since I think it's all side stories. That's the only one I haven't seen yet. Definitely watch the rest though.
Eh that questionable too, since the ending for Koyomimonogatari leads up to owarimonogatari.
My Queens

Sep 25, 2017 8:53 PM

Nov 2013
-Mahesvara said:
Blarey said:
Eh that questionable too, since the ending for Koyomimonogatari leads up to owarimonogatari.

Ahh, I should probably get to watching it then.
Sep 25, 2017 8:57 PM
Jun 2017
please don't skip any of them
and you've watch the wrong order
it go like this
Bake-monogatari
Kizu-monogatari movies trilogy
Nise-monogatari
Neko-monogatari Kuro
Monogatari second season
Hana-monogatari
Tsuki-monogatari
Owari-monogatari
Kyomin-monogatari
Owari-monogatari second season

in total about 90 episodes
Sep 25, 2017 9:01 PM
Mar 2017
@MortalMelancholy, Hey! What the heck man!
Stop spoiling the plot for him!
Sep 25, 2017 9:06 PM
Aug 2015
AyameTomoko said:

To be honest, Bakemonogatari is way too ambitious for what it truly is - a harem where every single character plays a trope, and with a lot of pointless cheeky dialogue and some interesting plot lines that could have been quite intriguing if its main drama didn't revolve around high school problems. It literally doesn't have a plot. The characters being self-aware about their tropes doesn't make it smart. The world is also way too cryptic (which I can understand is intentional, but there need to be certain pre-established rules in order for a fantasy world, or whatever you want to call it, to work) and the series' style (all the quick cuts and title cards) is simply overdone. It's quite a shame, because it's very obvious there is a lot of thought put into the show overall.
Sep 25, 2017 9:39 PM

May 2016
Kagami said:

The 2x speed thing is especially weird to me. It seems like people who do that are more concerned with padding their "Completed" list than actually enjoying the shows they're watching.
Sep 25, 2017 9:41 PM
Apr 2015
Wondering the same thing as well, do you have to ?
Sep 25, 2017 10:06 PM
Apr 2017
Don't skip anything u will regret and then go back and watch it the whole anime us amazing
Sep 25, 2017 10:24 PM

Dec 2015
On_the_Lam said:
AyameTomoko said:

To be honest, Bakemonogatari is way too ambitious for what it truly is - a harem where every single character plays a trope, and with a lot of pointless cheeky dialogue and some interesting plot lines that could have been quite intriguing if its main drama didn't revolve around high school problems. It literally doesn't have a plot. The characters being self-aware about their tropes doesn't make it smart. The world is also way too cryptic (which I can understand is intentional, but there need to be certain pre-established rules in order for a fantasy world, or whatever you want to call it, to work) and the series' style (all the quick cuts and title cards) is simply overdone. It's quite a shame, because it's very obvious there is a lot of thought put into the show overall.

That's because you have only seen Bakemonogatari. Although not much the series does get clearer later on. It's just that no one bothered to put it in chronological order and it's clearly not meant to be seen that way either.

The style you're talking about is just a mix between Shafts' usual style and the French New Wave from the 60's. It is a style you need to get accustomed with but lots of people never do.

To OP: don't skip anything. You'll miss a lot of important stuff. I haven't seen Owari season 2 yet but I doubt it's going to be different all of a sudden.
Sep 25, 2017 10:43 PM
Aug 2015
holysauron said:
On_the_Lam said:

That's because you have only seen Bakemonogatari. Although not much the series does get clearer later on. It's just that no one bothered to put it in chronological order and it's clearly not meant to be seen that way either.

The style you're talking about is just a mix between Shafts' usual style and the French New Wave from the 60's. It is a style you need to get accustomed with but lots of people never do.

To OP: don't skip anything. You'll miss a lot of important stuff. I haven't seen Owari season 2 yet but I doubt it's going to be different all of a sudden.

I can understand what its style is going for and I actually praise it for being what it is. It's still impossible to ignore the fact that everything else is just too underwhelming and even pretentious most of the time.

This fanmade trailer is what made me watch Bakemonogatari: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIziNssFnHg
It makes it seem so intriguing and dramatic, but we get a harem and all its tropes instead.
Sep 25, 2017 10:45 PM

Apr 2017
AyameTomoko said:
@nose1234, Don't worry, it changes.
Nisemonogatari is allot more laid back from what I've heard.
I also heard it's the title with the most fanservice as well.

I'm sure looking forward to watching Nise.

Yeah, I heard similar stuff, which is why I put off nisemonogatari for so long lol. But it is short in any case, so maybe I'll give it a go in the weekend.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2017 11:07 PM
Mar 2017
@On_the_Lam, there's actually some harem cliches in Bakemonogatari that I like.
Is it the presence of any cliches whatsoever that bothers you?
Sep 25, 2017 11:13 PM

Dec 2015
On_the_Lam said:
holysauron said:

I can understand what its style is going for and I actually praise it for being what it is. It's still impossible to ignore the fact that everything else is just too underwhelming and even pretentious most of the time.

This fanmade trailer is what made me watch Bakemonogatari: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIziNssFnHg
It makes it seem so intriguing and dramatic, but we get a harem and all its tropes instead.

If Anything you shouldn't trust a fan trailer. It was a nice one though, cool to see all those things again after all this time. I don't think it's pretentious as much as it's experimental though. Yes the two often overlap but I don't think it's the case here. That fan trailer did indeed make it seem like some horror but it's not. If anything Monogarari is a character study where the author tries to study the tropes of modern anime. Nothing pretentious about that, it's just that he takes them further than what's normally the case. You do need to pay attention though because otherwise you'll miss it.

But maybe Monogatari is just not for you. Like I said you really need to get accustomed to it and I think after completing Bake there should've been enough accustomization to be hooked. In that regard I don't think any further watching will benefit you in any way especially because Nisemonogatari is the second worst season.
Sep 26, 2017 5:51 PM
Aug 2015
AyameTomoko said:
@On_the_Lam, there's actually some harem cliches in Bakemonogatari that I like.
Is it the presence of any cliches whatsoever that bothers you?

Not really. I found some scenes interesting. It's the lack of a story and general purpose that completely turned me off.

holysauron said:
If anything Monogarari is a character study where the author tries to study the tropes of modern anime. Nothing pretentious about that, it's just that he takes them further than what's normally the case. You do need to pay attention though because otherwise you'll miss it.

The characters being self-aware tropes doesn't make it pretentious, but the way they interact with each other and the dialogue, obviously. It's supposed to be cheeky and amusing, but then in the end we're supposed to care that the cat whore has a crush on the harem lead? There. is. no. fucking. plot. And what the hell is wrong with LNs sexualizing siblings?
Sep 26, 2017 5:58 PM
Mar 2017
@On_the_Lam, so I also take it you're probably not a fan of Slice of Life anime either?
Sep 26, 2017 6:21 PM
Aug 2015
AyameTomoko said:
@On_the_Lam, so I also take it you're probably not a fan of Slice of Life anime either?

My favorite film of all time is a SoL anime.
Sep 26, 2017 6:22 PM
Mar 2017
@On_the_Lam, so what do you mean by "no story or purpose"?
Sep 26, 2017 6:24 PM
Aug 2015
AyameTomoko said:
@On_the_Lam, so what do you mean by "no story or purpose"?

Are you implying that SoL anime have no story? I really wouldn't call Bakemonogatari SoL. It's more of its own thing, I suppose.
Sep 26, 2017 6:26 PM
Mar 2017
@On_the_Lam, maybe the story isn't as structured as you'd like it to be?
Sep 26, 2017 6:28 PM
Aug 2015
AyameTomoko said:

I don't mind about the structure of the story as much as the lack thereof.
Sep 26, 2017 6:31 PM

May 2017
I would highly recommend watching all the arcs as there might be some details or jokes you might miss if you don't watch them. However, if you really have to see Owarimonogatari S2, you'll still need to watch these:

Tsukimonogatari
Owarimonogatari
and the last two episodes of
Koyomimonogatari
Sep 26, 2017 6:32 PM
Mar 2017
On_the_Lam said:
AyameTomoko said:

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "no story" though?
Cause to me, it would be obvious if that was the case.
Sep 26, 2017 7:44 PM
Aug 2015
AyameTomoko said:
On_the_Lam said:

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "no story" though?
Cause to me, it would be obvious if that was the case.

Basically, it barely has an introduction (which I'll admit is intriguing in its own surrealistic way), nor an ending. There are no highs, no lows. Character interaction (and "development" or whatever you want to call it) is made through literal shit-talk.

Typical nice guy harem lead tries to help some random girls, who seem to be attracted to him in one way or another, with a few supernatural problems, which logically don't make any sense (Where are the adults? What's up with all these deadly curses on prepubescent girls?) The supernatural part itself is nothing but a device in order for the MC to have a reason to interact with the girls, since they're very quickly introduced and just as quickly solved.

In the end, it all comes down to this: barely anything significant for the series or the characters happens in the span of 15 episodes.
Sep 26, 2017 7:52 PM

Jan 2015
Just drop it. Owari is a story that wraps up everything you see in Monogatari, there is no point in forcing yourself to see it if you don't even like what it's going to wrap up about.

It's an entertainment medium, you don't need to force yourself to watch what everyone is watching. Not to mention Monogatari is pretty niche. If you just want to know its story, feel free to continue, but if you want to 'enjoy' it, come back when you feel like you want to experience Monogatari style.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2017

238 by RioFS »»
Apr 11, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2017

33 by RioFS »»
Apr 10, 2:02 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2017

35 by RioFS »»
Apr 9, 6:48 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 12, 2017

99 by RioFS »»
Apr 9, 1:50 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 12, 2017

47 by RioFS »»
Apr 9, 5:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.