Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 25, 2017 8:54 AM

Apr 2011
I picked this manga up before, and I read it up to like chapter 10 or something.
The reason I dropped the manga is the same reason I picked it back up again:
The characters in the show.

The 1st villain shown (fatso) is incredibly 1-dimensional.
Aladin only partly got me interested and Alibaba is cool but seems he's gone after Ch18.

I'm reading through the story now with slight expectations of the characters, especially the villains to be introduced, to be a bit more interesting, as that's what I heard about the show.

But is it true? Are the villains in this manga some of the greatest merits the show has to offer?
Sep 28, 2017 11:54 AM

Jul 2011
It's been a long while since I've read the first few chapters but the first villain is just a plot device to introduce the characters as far as I can remember. The actual antagonists which will be introduced later are great like all the characters imo. They're three dimensional and have each their own goals and ways of doing things.
Sep 28, 2017 11:56 AM

Jan 2013
The characters are pretty great, once you get over the "tutorial level" NPCs :D
Oct 1, 2017 9:17 PM

Jun 2009
Flevalt said:

The 1st villain shown (fatso) is incredibly 1-dimensional.

You mean Budel? He's just one incredibly small fly in the grand scheme of things. He's harmless, don't worry about him. :D

Aladin only partly got me interested and Alibaba is cool but seems he's gone after Ch18.

Nah, Alibaba is one of the protagonists of the story (deuteragonist is the term, I think?), so he's here to stay.

But is it true? Are the villains in this manga some of the greatest merits the show has to offer?

I suppose so? Now that I think about it, the reason why I love Magnostadt arc so much was partly because of the main villain and how his past shaped him into who he is today. But that's not all. There a lot of great characters on the good side, too. And some of the characters fall into a grey area.

Just continue reading and I'm sure you will find some reasons to enjoy this series, too.
Oct 2, 2017 8:26 AM

Jun 2016
Flevalt said:

It´s true. As far as mangas goes, Magi has a decent exent (the final arc is publishing right now, as with 352 chapters out). Each anime season covers about 100 chapters, and if you have watched them and thought it developed nicely, you are gonna like at least some of the rest.

The villains are getting a lot of backgrounds, motivations and complexitey, espacially since its shounen oriented.

I´m looking forward to rest of the anime adaptation, it´s going to look real good :)
Oct 2, 2017 11:51 AM

Apr 2011
PerlaNemesis said:

You mean Budel?

Are there so many 1-dimensional fatsos that you can be uncertain which one I mean? xD
But ye I meant Budel.
I got 2 on my 1D-fatso-counter so far: Budel and Ahbmad.

Just finished the Balbadd arc, which was great.
After this arc I'm starting to think that if the MC were not a chibi-character and the dungeon arc replaced with a less boring 1st arc, Magi would probably be a lot more popular.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magi Chapter 369 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2017

86 by mizukasa »»
Mar 23, 8:16 AM

» The Nen Show Podcast - Magi and Sinbad

MuffinManTho - Mar 17

0 by MuffinManTho »»
Mar 17, 9:48 AM

Poll: » Magi Chapter 27 Discussion

KuroDubZero - Sep 25, 2011

9 by brokeRyuk »»
Jan 26, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Magi Chapter 7 Discussion

KuroDubZero - Jul 13, 2011

12 by brokeRyuk »»
Jan 19, 5:01 PM

Poll: » Magi Chapter 3 Discussion

KuroDubZero - Jul 13, 2011

13 by AnklesAAA »»
Jan 5, 2:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.