Forum Settings
Forums

What Do You Think of All Male/Female Casts?

New
Sep 24, 2017 4:35 AM

Apr 2017
I'm not sure if it's just me, but I get put off by anime with a cast only made up of one sex. Even if I'm trying to look for a guilty-pleasure shounen ai, I really dislike when there's only guys and maybe a trap who identifies as a man. What happened, do the girls not exist or something?? Of course, it makes sense if it's an all-boys school, but if not then it's pretty unrealistic. Was there some sort of apocalypse?

For example, I dropped New Game 2 episodes in (mainly because I was bored) but also due to the unexplained lack of males. Isn't this supposed to be a workplace? At least Love Live had a good excuse. I get that a lot of anime is just for entertainment, but when I think 'Slice of Life' I think 'realistic'. It's the same with harems, I don't like how there's one MC everyone is getting wet for.

Maybe I'm getting too worked up about this, but this has bugged me for a while. I don't want more of the opposite sex for the purpose of heterosexual relationships—I'm not that ignorant—it's just that I find it unnatural. Anyone else?

*this is just opinion, I'm just not fond of the idea
GlowingAuraSep 24, 2017 4:47 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 24, 2017 4:39 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I am absolutely fine either way, but I'm much more receptive to all female casts. I also don't see how it's unnatural for a workplace to be mostly comprised of one gender. Unusual, but not unnatural. Then again unusual twists what could otherwise be mundane things makes things more interesting so eh

GlowingAura said:
when I think 'Slice of Life' I think 'realistic'.

given that there's slice of life in fantasy settings or relatively absurd slice of life in what would be an otherwise normal setting i sort of don't feel like it's reasonable to demand something that's really more of a structural thing to constantly adhere to reality, especially since it already sort of doesn't

Sep 24, 2017 4:44 AM

Sep 2014
Well i feel like when the cast is all one gender, from what I've seen, it usually makes sense. It doesn't bother me.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Sep 24, 2017 4:44 AM

Oct 2013
I don't mind personally
if the characters are good then thats all that really matters to me
its not like throwing in an extra character of the opposite gender would make it any better or worse after all if they are exactly the same quality of the core cast
Sep 24, 2017 4:54 AM

Nov 2014
All male cast anime are predominantly watched by females. On the other hand, all female cast tend to have a relatively split viewership.

Why? Don't know.

What I think of one gender casts? I don't particularly mind. Does it make sense? I don't particularly mind either.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Sep 24, 2017 4:55 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
For me it depends on the show and how it's characters are. Like Bungou Stray Dogs and Yuri on Ice are/can be aimed at a female audience but the overall feel of those shows certainly doesn't make it seem that way imo.

In that sense I personally don't mind them just as long as I enjoy it.
Sep 24, 2017 4:59 AM

Jul 2013
I perfect a mixed bag, however it can be done well as a purely one gender cast, a series like k-On comes to mind.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Sep 24, 2017 5:05 AM

Jun 2015

BurningSpirit said:
All male cast anime are predominantly watched by females. On the other hand, all female cast tend to have a relatively split viewership.

Why? Don't know.

What I think of one gender casts? I don't particularly mind. Does it make sense? I don't particularly mind either.

Uh. KnK and Haikyuu are predominantly one gender cast.
Sep 24, 2017 5:06 AM

Feb 2016
I do not have the time to think about such bullshit.
Sep 24, 2017 5:07 AM

Jul 2015
i don't watch all Male Cast anime
i have no problem with all female cast anime
Sep 24, 2017 5:11 AM

Dec 2013
if you want to make it moe without much effort you just put random kawaii girls with each of them having a different personality.

SUPERIOR JAPANESE STORY TELLING
Sep 24, 2017 5:33 AM

Sep 2017
Its hard to watch anime without a great story. All male or female cast is RARELY great.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Sep 24, 2017 5:35 AM

Nov 2014
Brb said:
Uh. KnK and Haikyuu are predominantly one gender cast.

True, but I'm referring to all one gender casts, which does conveniently and intentionally exclude most sports anime. Guys mostly watch for the sports action and girls mostly the guys in the series.

You might as well point out that harems are predominantly female casts and state my claim that they generally have a more balanced gender ratio is wrong. C'mon we both know what I meant.

It's also important to note that sports anime like Kuroko no Basuke has a pretty high female viewership (not too sure about Haikyuu), which does suggest the predominantly male cast does pull in female viewers.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Sep 24, 2017 8:08 AM

Jan 2010
True, 100% male only or female only cast is a huge turn off. Unless it's a sports anime lol.

KnB and Haikyuu have female casts (and a badass and likeable one at that) even though they are not the main cast.
Sep 24, 2017 8:10 AM

Jun 2014
I love all-male casts, because bishies are hot, and I don't have to look at females.

Sep 24, 2017 8:10 AM

Feb 2015
all boy and all female casts have their own targeted audiences, that's all there is to it. Basically, to simply sum it up.

All male cast = female audience
All female cast = male audience
Sep 24, 2017 8:17 AM

Feb 2014
It doesn't bother me. I'm not looking for realism when watching a CGDCT moe anime. And most of the characters in these kinds of shows aren't realistic to begin with anyway.
Sep 24, 2017 8:20 AM

Oct 2015
who gives a damn about wherether its an all female cast or male cast as long as it has a great story or tolerable.

But if its harem Bye for me.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 24, 2017 8:28 AM
Jul 2018
I really prefer a normal distribution of 50:50 or maybe 70/80:30/20 male to female.
The character dynamics in one-gender-casts are very weird or fanservice-heavy.

GlowingAura said:
Maybe I'm getting too worked up about this, but this has bugged me for a while. I don't want more of the opposite sex for the purpose of heterosexual relationships—I'm not that ignorant—it's just that I find it unnatural. Anyone else?

Uhm yes and this: I also want way more male-female-best-friendships without sexual and romantic tension, because that's just beautiful.
Sep 24, 2017 8:36 AM
Jan 2017
Well Hunter x Hunter has an all male main cast but it does it pretty well, and it has no excuse. I prefer a mixed cast but don't mind all male or all female as long as it isn't implausable.
Sep 24, 2017 8:37 AM

Jan 2013
Well it's kinda bugging me when the other gender is completely excluded as if it was nonexistent, like in K-On or Sekaiichi Hatsukoi, but I don't mind it when most of the cast is one gender witch occasional characters from the other gender, like in Claymore and Kuroko no Basket.
Sep 24, 2017 8:45 AM

Mar 2016
If the anime is good then I really don't care what the gender of the cast is.
Sep 24, 2017 8:46 AM

Apr 2016
All female is good, all male is sin against god.
Sep 24, 2017 9:15 AM

Aug 2017
It's good as long it's doesn't focus and go half/fullhomo, for me.
"I'm tired, Boss. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly at each other."
- John Coffey, Green Miles
Sep 24, 2017 9:21 AM

Aug 2016
Don't care about the 100% same genders or 100% same gender main characters

Sep 24, 2017 9:23 AM

Apr 2017
Well, i said that i enjoy CGDCT, so i accept an all girls cast.

But the all male cast? It depends, mystery? Okay. Sports? Fine, but make it purely sports. Male on male romance? Tell me so i dont watch them.

Simple enough i guess.
Life isn't as fun and easy as anime.
Watch anime to bring that fun!!

Jun 2014
suzuya_mitsuko said:

What's wrong with homo?

What if it's not explicit, and just light hearted romance?

Dec 2012
Too much of anything is uaually a bad thing.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 24, 2017 9:43 AM

Aug 2017
Seiya said:
suzuya_mitsuko said:

What's wrong with homo?

Well, I'm a homophobe. Actually I don't really hate gay, but I hate/uncomfortable when people being gay.

It's really relative depending on the context, I guess. I mean, if I can comprehend and feel why they're being gay, I suppose it doesn't matter.

I think, that's applicable to all relationship, but let's said I have less affinity with homosexuality.
Sep 24, 2017 9:49 AM

Jun 2014
suzuya_mitsuko said:
Seiya said:

What's wrong with homo?

Well, I'm a homophobe. Actually I don't really hate gay, but I hate/uncomfortable when people being gay.

It's really relative depending on the context, I guess. I mean, if I can comprehend and feel why they're being gay, I suppose it doesn't matter.

I think, that's applicable to all relationship, but let's said I have less affinity with homosexuality.

Lol, so you say that you don't hate gay people, but you identify as a "homophobe?"

People confuse me so much.

Sep 24, 2017 9:50 AM

Apr 2016
If the anime has all male cast with a yaoi or harem tag, I'm outta there. The ones I do like are something like Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou.

If the anime has an all female cast, it has the potential to become one of my favourites. Something like Azumanga Daioh or Nichijou or Non Non Biyori.
Sep 24, 2017 9:52 AM
Jul 2018
It bothers me too. I love my womance and bromance anime, but have at least one member of the opposite sex in their so that it doesn't feel like the writer is saying to your face, "Hey, this anime is about one gender, because all the characters are only one gender!"
Sep 24, 2017 9:59 AM

Mar 2013
Nothing in anime is that realistic. Though in New Game!, they referenced it when Aoba questioned the lack of males at EagleJump, but that is Season 2, episode 1.

Honestly, sex does not bother me.
Sep 24, 2017 9:59 AM

Aug 2017
Seiya said:
suzuya_mitsuko said:

Lol, so you say that you don't hate gay people, but you identify as a "homophobe?"

Let's say I don't know how to identify myself here, what am I then?

I mean, assume you're gay. I don't know you and I'm fine with you. Then, I know you but not about the gay, I'm still fine with you. Then I know you're a gay, I will still be fine with you except when you show that gay tendency to me or just being like that around me (this could be just an uncomfortable feeling to fully disgust depends on how you act). I hate your gay stuff, but I will still like you just fine being a person I have been known from the longtime ago; my friend.
Sep 24, 2017 10:02 AM

Jun 2014
suzuya_mitsuko said:
Seiya said:

I mean, assume you're gay. I don't know you and I'm fine with you. Then, I know you but not about the gay, I'm still fine with you. Then I know you're a gay, I will still be fine with you except when you show that gay tendency to me or just being like that around me (this could be just an uncomfortable feeling to fully disgust depends on how you act). I hate your gay stuff, but I will still like you just fine being a person I have been known from the longtime ago; my friend.

Gee, thanks.

If you must know, I'm bisexual. I still like girls, just not romantically.

Sep 24, 2017 10:09 AM

Mar 2013
Oh, to be fair, I do hate specific gender imbalances of one male versus many females.

Grisaia bothers me with how it does it in the visual novel. Everyone who is a noted character is always female, and besides the official heroines, we also have Yuuji fuck Chizuru the principle, Asako, and JB (Who is still somehow a virgin losing it to a pubescent kid) . I mean, jeez, it is as if they turned everyne noted character into a female to cram another sex scene in, regardless of their actual relation, and that seems fairly...."disrespectful" to turn every character female for hentai reasons.

It is not a nukige, damn it.

Oh, and New Game! is yuri bait, essentially. Just saying. Softcore teasing, mind you.
Sep 24, 2017 10:14 AM

Feb 2015
Yeah I agree... So I just don't watch those animes... Problem solved
Sep 24, 2017 10:18 AM

Apr 2017
In the immortal words of Mr. Chang..

Sep 24, 2017 10:22 AM

Jul 2016
It depends on the story. New Game, for example, is a Moe slice of life show and in that genre, the characters need to act a certain way.The way the characters in that show are so playful and kind to each other fits better with an all-female cast. In a new game, they are also very open about their emotions and watching that feels more natural if the characters are women.

TL;DR
Also, not everyone thinks men are cute but everyone thinks women are cute. A show about cute people needs to have women in it.
Sep 24, 2017 10:26 AM
Sep 2015
I don't mind. I am ready for anything, lol....
Sep 24, 2017 10:26 AM

Aug 2017
Seiya said:
suzuya_mitsuko said:

Gee, thanks.

You're welcome. :)

I see..
I'm sorry if I'm being rude, but why you specify you still like girls non romantically? I always assume if you like one sex romantically, you don't necessarily hate the other sex.

I'm asking because it different than my expectation. I just curious. It's fine if you don't want to answer. :)
Sep 24, 2017 10:27 AM
Jul 2018
You're not alone. I too am not a big fan of male-only or female-only casts. I can understand if the anime were to be about a group of friends and it so happens to be that they're all boys or all girls. But otherwise I really don't understand.

I think it is necessary to have both genders in animes. Especially because there are some archetypes that only apply to certain genders. The cast feels more diverse.
Sep 24, 2017 10:34 AM
May 2017
I don't care to be fair. If it's an interesting anime, I'll watch it either way. But if there's different genders of characters, it makes it interesting and can be related to both genders, doesn't matter if it's a Shounen or a Shojo.
Sep 24, 2017 10:35 AM

Apr 2016
Seiya said:

Yeah, i know it's hard to understand people these days.
Sep 24, 2017 12:16 PM

Jun 2014
suzuya_mitsuko said:
Seiya said:

Gee, thanks.

You're welcome. :)

I see..
I'm sorry if I'm being rude, but why you specify you still like girls non romantically? I always assume if you like one sex romantically, you don't necessarily hate the other sex.

I'm asking because it different than my expectation. I just curious. It's fine if you don't want to answer. :)

It's difficult to explain, but while I'm sexually attracted to both genders, I'm only romantically attracted to males. I never realized this until recently.

Because of this, I could never be in a relationship with a girl, because I could never love her.

Sep 24, 2017 2:53 PM

Nov 2009
> What Do You Think of All Male/Female Casts?
I like anime with all-female casts almost as much as I avoid anime with all-male casts.
Call me biased, I call it knowing what I want. Anime like LoGH are for the girls, and I am a rather stereotypical heterosexual male.
Sep 24, 2017 2:59 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
all female = FUCK YES, automatic watch

all male = don't watch XD
Sep 24, 2017 3:05 PM

Apr 2017
I don't mind an all Female or all Male Cast. Heck I even prefer a single gender cast at times.

Sports anime = All Male Cast
Anime about cute things = All Female cast
Magical Girls = All Female Cast.
Sep 24, 2017 3:11 PM

Jul 2012
boring

i prefer mixed or at least two of each. gamers did a good job because i thought it's aimed towards males but there's two prominent male characters.

sometimes all male casts work like in daily lives of high school boys because they all have very distinct personalities. it's hard when it's all girl casts because it's usually focused on archetypes or how cute they are.
Sep 24, 2017 3:17 PM
Nov 2014
I don't like both. Mixed is always best.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

30 by PlasticRobot »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 52 minutes ago

9 by RobertBobert »»
10 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 5 hours ago

12 by Rhaelynne »»
11 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

13 by Rhaelynne »»
16 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

26 by FedeMetal »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.