Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 22, 2017 9:59 PM

Dec 2016
Ok so I am a big fan of Tokyo Ghoul so I was wondering which of the two series do you think is better I am split because I love part 1 but I was really bored in part 2 untill blood stained Kaneki awakened and everything after that is amazing but what are your thoughts?
KenkakujaSep 22, 2017 10:21 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 22, 2017 10:26 PM

Jan 2010
For me, :re has some much better moments than the first series, but I don't like the recent development

But my favorite arc (Rose extermination) is in :re, also the auction Suzuya vs Big madam... Arima vs Kaneki...

I think I prefer :re overall
Sep 22, 2017 10:27 PM

Nov 2011
RE is miles better IMO, after all the previous one is just introduction to Tokyo Ghoul world. There are more interesting characters to the point you stop caring about Kaneki lel.

Sep 22, 2017 10:42 PM

Dec 2016
I agree and disagree lol I agree that alot more development happens in re to other characters but kaneki is still the main man hahaha
Sep 22, 2017 11:33 PM
Sep 2017
Me personally, I like the original Tokyo Ghoul better than :re. I feel like :re has too many characters to follow and I feel that the story can get a bit too complicated sometimes. I didnt really like the ending to the original though cuz kaneki didn't get the girl lol. So I guess overall I like the original better but I do see the appeal to the new :re series. I does go into the other characters a bit more and the story line in more rich I guess. Idk I prefer simplicity lol.
Sep 22, 2017 11:36 PM

Sep 2014
There's just too many characters for me to enjoy RE as much as the original.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Sep 23, 2017 12:22 AM

Dec 2016
Yeah trust me I own and have read the series several times and I don't know all the investigators names I mean theirs like 60 of them
Sep 23, 2017 12:51 AM

Mar 2014
The original by a landmile, :re is just too inconsistent to me, it certainly has some good moments (my fav arc was Rose extermination) but sometimes it feels like Ishida is trying to tie up the loose ends in a rushed manner. For example he wants to make Aogiri like some kind of orphanage shelter while we know that it was a terrorist organization. Also like others already said, there are too many characters for me in :re. The art was better in the original too.

Edit: I forgot to add that some things that we were expecting to happen because of the build up ended up feeling quite underwhelming (Amon for example, Tsukiyama being shoved in the background despite the heavy focus on his feelings about Kaneki being Sasaki in the Rose arc etc). I just can't get as invested anymore.
DanaeSep 23, 2017 12:59 AM
Sep 23, 2017 1:43 AM
Aug 2012
For me, it feels like Re is for those fans that like a realistic story. You have twists and turns, and what not. Its like TG are for those kids that go to primary school and Re is for people that know what reality is like and is for men. Trying to find out why people bitch about Hide tho. The guy was obviously alive.
Sep 23, 2017 2:17 AM
Sep 2017
Re is much better .Though in the start it was boring because of those clowns(not the ghoul clowns but those lame characters like saiko and mutsuki)(I personally like urie because of his insults towards washuu).The series got much better after kaneki killed arima and became the one eyed king.I think the best part was rose extermination.
Sep 23, 2017 1:18 PM

Jan 2010
Moved from Manga Discussion
Sep 23, 2017 1:51 PM

Nov 2014
Copy-pasting this from another discussion I had:

I personally feel like Ishida's lost his touch already, if I'm being honest.

What he's doing right now is exactly the opposite of what made TG great to me. He's going for the predictable route by making all the ghouls buddies. It feels no one really has conflicting values or morals anymore, and they're all slowly but surely uniting. The scene where Touka made Akira, who always had a massive hate boner for any ghoul, suddenly forget that she hated them felt so lame.

Also the fact that Eto, who always seemed so interesting to me because it was hard to judge her (she did some pretty fucked up stuff, but there seemed to be a reason behind at least some of it), was revealed to be this noble character who sacrificed herself to destroy the big bads that are V is so bad as well, imo. Maybe it turns out that she was lying, but I honestly doubt it.

Also the fact that Touka and Kaneki ended up falling in love. Ugh. Like, they knew each other for like a month and then didn't talk for two years, and suddenly they're in love? It just feels unrealistic and forced as fuck. Also, fuck Touka. Bland character.

Sorry for the rant, I got kind of caught up in it x)

P.S The first 50 or so chapters of :re were really good
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2017 1:57 PM

Feb 2015
I like the original better. I honestly don't understand what's going on in re. Maybe it's just me.
Sep 23, 2017 2:03 PM
Feb 2017
Kvothe51 said:

What he's doing right now is exactly the opposite of what made TG great to me. He's going for the predictable route by making all the ghouls buddies. It feels no one really has conflicting values or morals anymore, and they're all slowly but surely uniting. The scene where Touka made Akira, who always had a massive hate boner for any ghoul, suddenly forget that she hated them felt so lame.

Also the fact that Eto, who always seemed so interesting to me because it was hard to judge her (she did some pretty fucked up stuff, but there seemed to be a reason behind at least some of it), was revealed to be this noble character who sacrificed herself to destroy the big bads that are V is so bad as well, imo. Maybe it turns out that she was lying, but I honestly doubt it.

Also the fact that Touka and Kaneki ended up falling in love. Ugh. Like, they knew each other for like a month and then didn't talk for two years, and suddenly they're in love? It just feels unrealistic and forced as fuck. Also, fuck Touka. Bland character.

I agree part one was much better. I like the end of part 1 it was a true tragedy. They lost me with too many characters and very little Kaneki time to shine in RE...
Sep 23, 2017 3:10 PM

Jun 2016
For me The original overally is better. Though Re start out pretty slow and a lot setting up as Haise. Overally first half was okay for me. It get better after Kaneki regain his memories Cochlea arc was awesome but Rushima Island arc was trash.

Goat arc start out with a lot hype as Kaneki as the one eye king and have a lot pontential. But things when slowly downhill after Kaneki and Goat save Akira. As Kaneki does absolutely nothing but hide,CCG is just causing trouble for the sake if It and plot become so slow and so many neglected characters.

After Kaneki and Touka vs Mutsuki and Aura,Is whens things become really boring and the plot went nowhere. Kaneki continously does nothing for many many chapters,until eventually Kaneki begin looking for food resource until Furuta attack Goat is when plot finally moves.

Everything becomes bads after Kaneki and Touka vs Mutsuki and Aura. Slow plot,so many neglected characters,Inconsistent powerscaling and nothing becomes Consistent after this.

So Tokyo ghoul original is still better than Re. As Re flaws overshadow whats makes Its great.

Sep 23, 2017 6:59 PM

Jul 2009
Original is far better honestly. I lost count on how many times I restarted Re: due to dropping from losing interest.
Sep 23, 2017 9:36 PM
Aug 2017
I like both. But :Re is more complicated than the original. It is more messed up in the psychological aspect and show that the world and people, both human and ghoul, are not simple. Like Eto, she may have good intention of bring down V but she is by no means a good person. I don't like Touka in the original but I like her in :Re, calmer and mature. The old Touka would have rushed to save Yoriko but here she didn't for the well-being of Kaneki and GOAT. I also like Hinami more in :Re. Both Touka and Hinami sacrifice themselve to defend the non-combatant ghouls against CCG. :Re is the only manga that keeps me on edge now.

Kvothe51 said:

LOL. It was not a month. Kaneki was 18 at the start and 19 after chapter 64 so it was definitely not a month. There are hints about them in the original that even someone who don't care about romance like me can see.
Sep 24, 2017 1:18 AM
Jul 2018
Re builds on everything that the original established, so I don't really have a preferance, they both compliment each other. I will say Re has a lot more characters and thus it is harder to follow at times, but if you take your time with it and pay close attention it's fine. Both are 10/10 for me.
Sep 24, 2017 1:22 AM

Jan 2010
KaiserNazrin said:
There are more interesting characters to the point you stop caring about Kaneki lel.

Couldn't agree more lmao
Sep 24, 2017 1:28 AM

Jan 2010
Re stopped being great after cochlea arc
Sep 24, 2017 1:33 AM

Mar 2014
Shicchi said:
KaiserNazrin said:
There are more interesting characters to the point you stop caring about Kaneki lel.

Couldn't agree more lmao

I also agree. Tokyo Ghoul was about Kaneki and his struggles, :re was the same until rose extermination/ cochlea arc at most. After that I feel like I am not as emotionally invested in his character as I used to be
Sep 24, 2017 1:43 AM

Sep 2009
One is bad and the other is worse. Best option is to just stay away from both.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 24, 2017 2:28 AM
Aug 2016
MortalMelancholy said:
Why you here then?
Sep 24, 2017 2:42 AM

Sep 2009
Nat_Pagle said:
MortalMelancholy said:
Why you here then?

To compare them, just like everyone else.
Sep 24, 2017 9:39 PM

Dec 2016
Well your not really comparing your just here to say you don't like the series
Sep 24, 2017 10:17 PM

Jan 2010
Dear @MortalMelancholy I advice you to not waste your time anymore and listen to your own advice staying away from both series ;D
Sep 24, 2017 11:17 PM

Sep 2009
Shicchi said:
Dear @MortalMelancholy I advice you to not waste your time anymore and listen to your own advice staying away from both series ;D

Why couldn't someone give me this advice before I actually watched them =X
Sep 24, 2017 11:38 PM

Dec 2016
Well sorry their isn't someone there that can see the future and knows exactly what you will like lol
Sep 24, 2017 11:39 PM

Jan 2010
MortalMelancholy said:
Shicchi said:

You mean read.

Now it's already too close to the ending. I'm surprised you managed read this far or even considered continuing to :re at all even though you already think the first series is bad. Sometimes I don't get people. Maybe you just have too much free time which is a good thing I guess. I don't have such luxury so I carefully pick what I want to read/watch and drop any series as soon as I don't find enjoyment anymore from it.
Sep 24, 2017 11:45 PM

Sep 2009
Shicchi said:
MortalMelancholy said:

You mean read.

Now it's already too close to the ending. I'm surprised you managed read this far or even considered continuing to :re at all even though you already think the first series is bad. Sometimes I don't get people. Maybe you just have too much free time which is a good thing I guess. I don't have such luxury so I carefully pick what I want to read/watch and drop any series as soon as I don't find enjoyment anymore from it.

Uh, whoops, wrong thread? lmao
Sep 25, 2017 12:05 AM

Jan 2010
MortalMelancholy said:
Shicchi said:

You mean read.

Lol you confused root a and re?

So you're an anime only watcher then oh well XD
Sep 25, 2017 3:34 AM

Aug 2013
Used to think :re is better, but the series just went downhill so bad for me after hinami rescue
Sep 25, 2017 4:19 AM

Aug 2014
Shicchi said:
MortalMelancholy said:

Lol you confused root a and re?

So you're an anime only watcher then oh well XD

Sucks to be them.

I prefer Manga version alot.

Re was defintely better.
It has alot of plot twist,better drama,and character development.

When first time i read tokyo ghoul, it was cringy af.
Then this re version... damn, i rate it 10/10.
Theres the reason why its pretty popular and already sold alot of copies.
Sep 25, 2017 11:34 AM
Aug 2016
Is it me or the art was way more better to follow in the first series... fight scenes in Re are soo complicated looll
Sep 25, 2017 11:39 AM

Nov 2014
I honestly don't like either of them but if i had to say one it's probably Re:
Sep 25, 2017 3:55 PM

May 2015
Personally prefer the first half of :Re vastly more than the originals first half and likewise prefer the second half of TG over :Re's second half. The main issue I have with everything past Rue is the lack of conflicting interests amoung the numerous parties involved. Thematically, it makes sense, considering the end goal is ghouls/humans coexisting, but the way Ishida sets these conflicts makes the narrative feel dry at times...
Everything that happens also feels one-sided in regards to GOAT(this arc epitomizes that concern). Ultimately though, I love both series and consider them equally flawed imo. If I had to choose one though, I'd pick :Re just for the art improvement. Still don't like Ishida's layout during fights but oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
EmblemzSep 25, 2017 4:02 PM

Sep 25, 2017 8:34 PM

Dec 2016
Both are fantastic, tg might be a little more consistent in the arcs but re has some of the very best arcs in the entire series. Re dives more into psychological issues & references to tarot cards, artwork is a notch better as well. Both are 10/10 though
Sep 26, 2017 5:08 AM
Jul 2018
I belive that the original is better by a long mile.
The original while flawed in certain aspects, for all intents and purposes it tells a somewhat linear story and does a well enough job trying to make the reader question what is right and what is wrong in the world of tg.
Re on the other hand while it had a strong start yes, everything went down the hill from there real fast. Too many character introductions with most of those just seemingly having some sort of family issues that defines them more then anything, power scales that change whenever the plot sees fitting, boring battles, Kaneki anoying and repetitive changes of personality, shock value for the sake of shock value, etc.. It stopped being about trying to fix the world and just became a one sided tale of defeating the main "baddie".
Sep 26, 2017 1:21 PM

Nov 2014
Himawari9 said:
I like both. But :Re is more complicated than the original. It is more messed up in the psychological aspect and show that the world and people, both human and ghoul, are not simple. Like Eto, she may have good intention of bring down V but she is by no means a good person. I don't like Touka in the original but I like her in :Re, calmer and mature. The old Touka would have rushed to save Yoriko but here she didn't for the well-being of Kaneki and GOAT. I also like Hinami more in :Re. Both Touka and Hinami sacrifice themselve to defend the non-combatant ghouls against CCG. :Re is the only manga that keeps me on edge now.

Kvothe51 said:

LOL. It was not a month. Kaneki was 18 at the start and 19 after chapter 64 so it was definitely not a month. There are hints about them in the original that even someone who don't care about romance like me can see.

The time between when Kaneki started working at Anteiku and when he was kidnapped was at best a month or two. Reread the manga if you think otherwise.

I'll admit it was made obvious that Touka had a thing for Kaneki because he was so similar to her father, but there was definitely no indication that Kaneki really felt similar.
Kvothe51Sep 26, 2017 1:42 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 26, 2017 7:03 PM

Oct 2013
I drop tokyo ghoulre, there is your answer. Mind you, tokyo ghoul is one of my favorite manga, so no hater here. I think one of the main reason is because I didn't like any of the new characters much less remember their name including Kaneki, since he was basically a new character as well.

And the story wasn't interesting as well, didn't really think the story was tokyo ghoul strongest part to begin with, but instead the characters especially kaneki and his growth was what I was invested in.

keragammingSep 26, 2017 7:06 PM
Sep 28, 2017 6:23 AM

Feb 2016
I think I like re more you can say I don't want kaneki to be tormented anymore I want the antiku group to find happiness and that what is going to happen in the next chapters in my openion .....enough tragedy

Both Tokyo ghoul and tokyou ghoul re are my favourites though
Sep 29, 2017 10:21 AM

Apr 2016
I prefer the original one because of consistency in the story as well as characters. Re has too many characters and to be honest sometimes I even lost the tracks of some characters and have to google to remember who the fuck are they.
Sep 29, 2017 3:04 PM

Dec 2009
Sorry guys but to be honest Tokyo Ghoul was a masterpiece but :re is piece of shit IMO. The plot sucks since Noro's defeat by Qs. Characters not getting enough screen time, characters doing ridiculous stuff or nothing at all(seriously anyone know what does kaneki do lately? nothing.). Timeskips, offscreened characters, f*ed up powerlevels with shitty characters one shotting previously most powerful ones, many things not even shown (how did rize get captured?), characters are about to die each week but next week they are suddenly saved by some irrelevant guy came out of nowhere. There are many things to say, it hurts but many people think like this (or even worse). Ofc there are people still loving it, either but I think they are hardcore fans. I still enjoy reading Tokyo Ghoul to some extent but if i were to score it "critically", would probably give it 0 (or maybe 1 for first 50 episodes).

And to fanboys/fangirls who got angry because of this post: Believe in freedom of thought, you annoying retards.
Oct 3, 2017 12:04 PM

May 2015
Re has had some awesome moments but I also think it had been quite messy in places with too many characters and battles that go on too long.

Hard to call though as when re has been good it has been really awesome.

Think it needs editing though.

I think its the combination of too many characters combined with ishidas art style. Which while great for character designs I don't think really works with complicated battle scenes.

I find the best moments of Tokyo ghoul are the more quiet philosophical scenes.
jedmanOct 3, 2017 12:35 PM
Oct 3, 2017 1:04 PM

Jul 2014
TG was great and first half of :re was also good

Rest of :re is just mess with it's events and large number of characters and it's like different author writing it tbh it just bad overall
Devil_SlayerOct 3, 2017 1:07 PM
Oct 4, 2017 10:12 AM

Sep 2016
I enjoy the original more but RE has its moments
Oct 4, 2017 11:40 AM
Jun 2014
Original all the way, so glad this shit is soon over.
Oct 4, 2017 4:11 PM

Nov 2014
Kaizoku-Otaku said:

Prepare for Touka's plot armor to kick and have the next part revolve around Ben Kaneki, the one and only Tokyo Ghoul^TM
Oct 4, 2017 5:16 PM

Aug 2013
Kvothe51 said:
Kaizoku-Otaku said:

Prepare for Touka's plot armor to kick and have the next part revolve around Ben Kaneki, the one and only Tokyo Ghoul^TM

It's funny that they've been clamoring their glorious plot armor-immune manga when they have literal deadweights like the Kirishitters siblings survived from motherfucking Arima.
Oct 4, 2017 8:08 PM
Oct 2017
Overall I like re a little bit more.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 181 Discussion

Raizel - Aug 8, 2018

48 by flesh123 »»
Apr 12, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 125 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Z4K - May 20, 2017

333 by CanderousTheOrdo »»
Apr 5, 5:04 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 179 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 10, 2018

33 by ren_moon »»
Mar 13, 11:06 PM

» Tokyo Ghoul:re Conclusion Then vs Now

PSN - Jan 12, 2022

10 by Zero01guard »»
Dec 26, 2023 10:10 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

lunar1412 - Dec 29, 2014

204 by Buddistic »»
Sep 14, 2023 6:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.