Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 24, 2016 10:08 AM

Jan 2013
m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:
5minutes in: why the fuck do we care about a tissue box and how its constructed? "Its the perfect situation" "This box is amazing" "omfg these are the same paper towels tonegawa used"

I couldn't agree more, I couldn't decide whether to awkwardly laugh or just cringe until my face started to hurt. That has to be in the top ten of "worst things I have ever seen in anime" Kaiji fascinated and questioning how one of the other guys could ever have had the foresight to open the tissue box from the side to quickly retrieve all the tissues, and I'm just staring at the screen like O_o. Then a little later he gets a flash of inspiration, "paper towels?" "paper towels.." "PAPER TOHWULS!!".

The whole anime just keeps going downhill from this point, what started off as a strong 9 (possibly a 10) ends up a meager 6-7 by the end, extremely disappointed. We have a frantic game of RPS after Kaiji is betrayed early on and loses nearly all his stars, then an intense game on top of the skyscraper where EVERYONE dies, and then a psychological battle of wills and cunning in Emperor Card, and then the grand finale is TISSUE BOX LOTTERY... wait, that can't be right. Really? I'm being informed that is in fact correct, that's how we're going to end the season.

I can't help but feel like there was something more pressing than TISSUE BOX LOTTERY, like maybe reattaching your FUCKING EAR!!!

/rant
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Sep 3, 2017 2:52 AM

May 2016
It started all McGuyver when he was looking for different items then he went on praising the convenience of tissue boxes lmao

The whole episode was about Kaiji covering the holes in his plans with more holes appearing so he just decided to go for it. He's becoming reckless from the blood loss...

Sep 25, 2017 4:00 PM

Jan 2010
lol @ the user rating for this episode...so i wasn't the only one a bit disappointed by this tissuebox vs the devil plan of kaiji ...

4/5 still for being epic
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Oct 6, 2017 7:22 AM

Feb 2013
A really stupid idea, he will get owned by the demon.
Feb 14, 2018 8:54 PM

Jan 2015
At the end of the last episode, I first thought that when he stepped on the tissue box, there'd be a reveal that one of the guys was a theif, and had stashed some of Kaiji's money in there, until Kaiji suddenly got an idea. What an interesting, yet flawed idea. Hope it works out for him, but I'm scared!
Mar 8, 2018 1:16 PM

Nov 2016
Lol,the plan is so retarded. Maybe the reveal ends up being nice.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 16, 2018 3:24 PM

May 2016
This will definitely be Kaiji's downfall.
Oct 17, 2018 7:35 AM
Oct 2018
I agree. The plan seems too childish. So many things could go wrong, and it even if they didn't, how satisfying would it be to beat the boss man in a game with zero strategy evolved ( besides cheating in an obvious way ) ? I wonder what Kaiji is up to
lazyhobbitOct 17, 2018 7:42 AM
Mar 5, 2019 5:31 PM

Aug 2016
Probably the only un-interesting episode after how fantastic it has been since episode 1. Hope it doesnt go downhill after this.
:v
Apr 11, 2019 12:20 PM

Aug 2017
That plan is a bit ridiculous lmao

This box is awesome xD

I think that Kaiji is screwing himself over.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 22, 2019 3:28 PM

May 2015
This is so stupid. Kaiji, you really should know when to stop.
Nov 26, 2019 10:38 AM

Nov 2014
I came here to say it's stupid. Nice to see I'm not the only one. Not only his plan is way too cheap, but also his motivation imo. He and the people who died risked their lives for money. They knew what's the price of losing and joined on their own. He doesn't have any moral ground to speak about revenge. If anything he should give those 10 milions to that guy's wife, not risk losing it.
Dec 10, 2019 7:29 PM
Jan 8, 2020 4:42 AM

Mar 2015
Lol creative thinking with the tissue box I guess?
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
May 6, 2020 5:33 PM

Jun 2019
I realize the narrative of the anime is such that the director's words are being framed as forked-tongued, hypocritical, underhanded, cowardly, and all that, and so as to cast him as the ultimate villain, but I actually agree with the director here.

I feel neither pride nor shame. Shame is foolish and is born from foolish pride in the first place (the director's also a hypocrite of course, because he said Tonegawa shamed him through his loss in a previous episode). There is no reason to ever feel shame if you're living in accordance always with what you believe is right or necessary, either for yourself or for "the world" or some greater ideal people identify with. Humans should abandon both pride and shame and leave them for the rest of the animal kingdom like the peacocks and other great apes. Nothing is "shameful" about doing your best and losing anything. It's a made up feeling based on the perception of how you'll be viewed by others and others' estimations, but that's something which ultimately has zero value to your worth as an organism. The end result is that dystopic social credit score they have in modern China under the CCP. Nothing more than a primitive vestige which should be excised from the human spirit.

And about the tissue box, I think it's a tad ridiculous, but honestly pushing any extra gamble is ridiculous at this point. Once he secured his own life and the 20 million yen he should have washed up, said his goodbyes to anyone relevant, and then resolved to never so much as buy a scratch-off lottery ticket again or even consider more gambling ever. Even though those watching it now in 2020 already know there's been a second season out for years so it can't end too tragically, I still feel pushing his luck to challenge the director further is irrational and unnecessary.
WatchTillTandavaMay 6, 2020 5:46 PM
Jun 3, 2020 4:16 AM

May 2018
I doubt that everything will go to plan
Aug 2, 2020 11:54 AM

May 2015
Wow, that entire first half of the episode had me soooo confused. I was just thinking "Has Kaiji finally lost it?" XD.

But yeah Kaiji is 100% gonna lose this match if it goes on. A)Theres a season 2 and B)If he defeats this man now there would be no plot for season 2. Yeah, the fact I know theres a season 2 does take away from some things for season 1.

Kaiji will have removed his debt if he kept the money but then we wont have a story so that money is gonna go bye bye in misery.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 21, 2020 3:25 PM

Mar 2010
First episode where it seemed decent ironic as that may seem.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Feb 19, 2021 12:30 AM

Nov 2018
Oh god , he should have taken money ...
There's so much scenarios everything goes wrong even if he convinces the godfather to play ...

ZevvenFeb 19, 2021 1:12 AM
I hate everyone equally
Apr 16, 2021 4:13 PM

Mar 2016
I hope this turns out okay

May 8, 2021 8:34 AM
Jan 2016
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is stupid. I feel like Kaiji is severely underestimating the old man.
Nov 3, 2021 9:01 AM
Oct 2020
This have bad felling about this, he might lose everthing
Nov 27, 2021 1:38 PM
Sep 2015
If this was an RPG, Kaiji would be that rogue who have above average intelligence but dumped wisdom hard.
This whole idea is stupid, but I think that's exactly the point: the gambling addict keeps looking for reasons to continue gambling and never cash out.
Jan 30, 2022 9:17 AM

Feb 2021
that plan was pretty confusing...hopefully it will get back to the action next ep
Mar 17, 2022 6:30 PM
Jul 2010
So is no one gonna mention the most cringe "support" cast that ever existed in an anime? The guys who falled I don't know, like 15 meters and should be in a dying state by now? Nah let's give Kaiji a random group of like 10+ support characters with personalities as thin as paper! So dumb. Also remember that these guys are as desperate for money as Kaiji. If Kaiji should have learned something by now, then that would be to not trust some random guys you just met. But Kaiji still does for some reason, even trusting them with his 20 million yen he just won, just laying there on the ground. Not just that but he also trusts them to the extent that he's willing to share his grand so called "strategy" with them. Wtf is going on
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2022 12:36 AM

Aug 2018
We see the start of probably the last game of this series , tissue box thing might be interesting if there are some tricks involved in process but I doubt the president is gonna be falling for them
Oct 8, 2022 4:14 PM

Dec 2018
well, this is stupid. and boring.
Feb 11, 2023 4:48 AM

Apr 2022
i like how they kept pointing out the possible plot holes, thus canceling out the plot holes.
one more bet.
Mar 28, 2023 7:59 AM

Dec 2015
It was boring and mental af. Just take the money then pay your debt and start a new life without risking your life. There's so many bullshit things all of the episodes but it was the worst one.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 25, 2007

76 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:42 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 14, 2007

90 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:20 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 12, 2007

67 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 1:57 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Dec 8, 2007

125 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 30, 12:08 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Nov 23, 2007

136 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 28, 11:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.