Forum Settings
Forums

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen - Prologue Sakura to Futatsu no Kuma Episode 1 Discussion

Cardcaptor Sakura Collector’s Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 14, 2017 2:33 AM

Oct 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Sigh... I was afraid something like this was going to happen...

So, regarding the new Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card Arc Prologue OVA... I honestly didn't enjoy it. From what I gather, it animates the ending of the manga and retells the scene of Sakura coming to terms with the fact that Li loves her and that he's leaving for Hong Kong. I didn't know this going in (and I think many others don't either) and boy was I in for a surprise (not in a good sense). To preface this review, I am first and foremost a fan of the original anime. I grew up with it, it was a major part of my childhood, blah, blah, blah... and I am going to give you guys my opinion of it as a fan of the original anime.

Firstly, I could not understand what was up with the art, the animation and the character designs. The blank chibi characters, the overuse of cut-away flowery overlays/backgrounds and random inserts like faces and text were so jarring. I think this is one of the cases where they were trying to be WAY too accurate with the adaptation for it to flow well in animated format because the pacing felt off for me as well. I don't remember any of these techniques being used in the anime version at all (at least not to this extent). It was more cognizant of the medium it was in and adjusted its storytelling to fit. What with the greater emphasis on melancholy, silence and overall uneasiness while ending on an uplifting note with Sakura realizing and accepting her feelings, symbolized by the creation of her first original Sakura Card. But I digress. Essentially, I felt that the entire OVA lacked subtlety. It felt like they needed to make crystal clear what the emotions of all the characters were with in-your-face visual metaphors.

Also, I really did not see a point to this OVA. Like, at all. If you are a fan of the manga, I guess it'll be a really great experience? I guess they were they trying to get anime-only fans acquainted with the manga canon? For me, it was just a rehash with less emotional weight. Does this mean that the Clear Card Arc will invalidate everything about the second movie? The one where everything concluded perfectly with Sakura confessing her love to Li? I really don't know how to feel about that.

This goes beyond a simple unnecessary continuation of an old franchise. What does this mean for the Clear Card Arc anime? If they're going to disregard the anime canon and the second movie and continue with the manga canon, I don't think I'll be able to get invested in it at all. Only 19 Cards? No Meiling? Oh dear... In fact, they might as well have gone the whole Sailor Moon Crystal route and completely rebooted it as this is pretty much tantamount to that. Maybe worse, as anime-only fans like myself will feel this disconnect as elements don't add up. If you ask me, if they had wanted to make it a continuation, they should have adapted it to fit with the anime canon. As-is, it's like they didn't even attempt to make it similar in feel to the original anime.

Honestly, as a fan of the anime, I feel betrayed. They took part of what I loved and said... NOPE. It didn't happen. But I guess this must how manga fans must have felt when the original anime came out. What comes around goes around, huh? (^.^') At least I can just renounce this like I did with Digimon tri. and save all that cash on merchandise.

(Or maybe I'll fall in love with it regardless. We'll see.)
ActarSep 14, 2017 10:23 AM
Sep 14, 2017 7:46 AM

Jun 2012
RAW is out, i've checked fragments, and..its like those 20 years never passed :) Animation is really good, voice actors great as always https://imgur.com/a/Iz8qN
Sep 14, 2017 9:11 AM

Mar 2014
I never read the manga but love the anime and from what I gather this is basically a rewrite of the final episode and retcons the second movie (which was anime original I believe) so it sends the series off in another direction (Clear Card-hen), and while the second movie was excellent, I'm ok with this. Obviously would prefer if they kept going from the second movie but this is fine.
And I'm guessing this is the ending of the manga? I honestly preferred the ending of the anime but it's still all good and that post credits scene makes me so excited.
For the art and stuff, it's all fine, maybe it's all a bit too bright and uses too many "freeze character and throw in a bunch of flowers and bloom around them" but I reckon that might be more because it's an OVA. audio quality also seemed a bit random at points but again, not something I expect to happen as much in the TV series, but outside of that it all seems pretty faithful to the original and it's something a fan can definitely enjoy the hell out of.
Sep 14, 2017 9:56 AM
Jun 2011
i enjoyed the prologue very much and as everyone said this is the original ending of the manga
Sep 14, 2017 11:36 AM

Dec 2014
That, that was beautiful! I've only seen the anime and that was eons ago but if this is the ending of the manga then that's awesome too.

Sakura, Tomoyo, Li, Kero, Yue, Touya, the house, the roller blades, the goddamned penguin slide and pretty much everything else. The nostalgia hit me so hard man, I got so emotional and almost cried just seeing all this again especially since they kept the classic art style which I loved. I'm so glad I grew up with a series as great as this. T.T

Sakura is so adorable when she blushes. <3
I really liked how the others around her helped her realize her true feelings.

Don't really have much more to add, the send off was lovely and the reunion during the start of middle school was great too.
What else? Bring on Clear Card-hen!
Lelouch0202Sep 14, 2017 11:40 AM
Sep 14, 2017 1:00 PM
Jul 2018
About the quality of art/animation since it's just bonus OVA it understandable that they won't put that much afford (doesn't make it ok though but still)

and just look at the end credit scene dat Quality

oh and i cry like 5 time during the episode lol ,i'm way too sensitive man
Sep 14, 2017 1:14 PM

Oct 2011
26 minutes of me crying my eyes out. LiSakura moments 😭😭😭😭
Sep 14, 2017 1:37 PM

Jul 2014
"OVA titles generally have a much higher budget per episode than in a television series; therefore the technical quality of animation can generally surpass that in television series; occasionally it even equals that of animated movies."

...and no TV schedule time constraints.
Sep 14, 2017 1:48 PM

Dec 2014
I was a bit skeptical of a new CCS anime but this OVA got rid of all my worries. I had a big dumb grin on my face from start to finish. I'm so excited for the new anime. January can't come soon enough!
Sep 14, 2017 4:56 PM

Jul 2015
It was a fine OVA, not keen of the art style tho.

Let's see which direction the series takes after this.
Sep 14, 2017 8:34 PM

Jul 2015
That was fucking great!

It doesn't really introduce anything hugely different from the original end of the anime, aside from making it more accurate to the manga I assume, but it was still really well done and did a fantastic job at emulating the style of the original anime but with a modern polish. Does make me pretty sad that it sorta retcons the second movie, but ultimately I think that's fine. The second movie is great, but if we get an even better ending out of the upcoming sequel instead, I'll be thrilled.
Sep 14, 2017 9:17 PM

Feb 2010
That was so cute omg. This has been one of my favorite series as a kid and until now. So being able to watch something new is super exciting. I re watch the series constantly so I can't wait to watch more. Only thing that bothers me a bit is the animation. Since it's newer I assumed it was going to be much nicer than the first series but I honestly think Sakura looked much cuter in the first series. Idk why. Tomoyo looks crazy cute and I'm dying to watch some touyaxyukito moments. Super sad that I know meilin isn't going to be in this and she was always my favorite.
I'm beyond excited for the new series to start. I really hope it's good. This series is very important and special to me so I really can't wait.
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Sep 14, 2017 10:08 PM

Nov 2011
Honestly, I kinda like it but not as strong as the main series. Obviously, it's just an OVA episode so I mostly see a lot of this compared to the main series' finale.

Even after all these years, I still find the character chemistry between Sakura and Syaoran to be charming though. However, it seems to be just setting up for the upcoming Winter anime. Not a whole lot really happened in this OVA episode beyond the confession. Love is a main theme in this show so getting that point across was important. The animation looks like it's an improved version (except some of the cheesy blank backgrounds) and to me, this OVA episode serves more as a way to give the fans a proper ending for the original story.

7/10. Could of been better but I thought it bought back a feeling of nostolgia and charm.
Sep 15, 2017 1:48 AM

Mar 2014
Dracom said:
"OVA titles generally have a much higher budget per episode than in a television series; therefore the technical quality of animation can generally surpass that in television series; occasionally it even equals that of animated movies."

That was the case in the 90s and some extremely rare anime original OVAs since then, certainly not the case for manga OVAs in 2017.
Sep 15, 2017 2:48 AM

Nov 2007
I got disappointed while watching this at AX. Sakura belongs with Tomoyo.

I very much hope that she realizes that any attraction to Syaoran is an effect of his magic, just like her prior attraction to Yukito and Kaho.
Sep 15, 2017 2:55 AM

Sep 2010
I almost cried, but not quite.

The voice actors' voices have aged incredibly well. There were no major differences except that Sakura sounds younger, Touya has a gruffer tone, and Yukito had a slightly higher pitch. I had memories of the original series swirling through my head as every character spoke their first line(s). Overall, the cast did a fine job.

To be frank, the animation was good, but can be improved. The legs, either stationary or moving, were awkward to watch. I held my breath and resisted cringing every time the legs were the main focus in the frame. The backgrounds and environments, from Sakura's house to the stream of cherry blossom trees, were gorgeous, no complaints. I need to get used to the art style of the eyelashes and the legs, but the shiny hair and shoujo-manga-like backgrounds are welcome.

Despite it all, I love Cardcaptor Sakura and I look forward to what is in store this upcoming January.

9/10

"to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -a magnet
Sep 15, 2017 3:28 AM

Oct 2008
I'm still so shaken up by the fact that the Clear Card Arc anime will be following the manga canon. (TT.TT) I mean, maybe it's because CCS never "left" me as I've been rewatching it regularly on and off over the past decade (and collecting all the merchandise), but I didn't get that surge of emotion from the OVA like many others did. Not to mention, it just rehashed the exact same plotline from the anime, so I knew pretty much exactly what was going to happen. Couple that together with the change in style and the realization that Meiling and 33 Clow Cards were gone was too much for me to bear. (^.^')

Still, even though I can't bring myself to, I'm glad that people are loving it.

Paulo27 said:
Dracom said:

That was the case in the 90s and some extremely rare anime original OVAs since then, certainly not the case for manga OVAs in 2017.

Hm... This was premiered at AX though, so I would think they would have put in far more effort into it.
Sep 15, 2017 4:09 AM
Mar 2016
It's kind reverse to me : I don't like the ending for anime version. Anime version was kind of original story (although the output was same) and this one is manga version. Personally I prefer manga version ending because it's cute and sweet, also have more detail from Sakura's view.

But yeah, everyone have their own taste so I kinda dissapointed you can't enjoy this one.
Sep 15, 2017 4:22 AM
Jul 2018
doesn't matter, i enjoyed watching the OVA. After all it's been almost a decade.

They used the same OST as the 1998 anime, so it added a nostalgia-like feeling; even the original cast were there to reprise their roles and they didn't faltered.

However, the art became different. Oh well, we're in 2017 already.

Since they adapted it from the final chapter, then the anime ending is null and void?

And now that we have a gist of what's in store for the 2018 anime, I can't wait.

9/10
Sep 15, 2017 6:52 AM

Feb 2008
One more episode with Sakura = 5/5
Sep 15, 2017 3:07 PM

Jul 2011
I wouldn't nitpick every little detail of this OVA. It is an OVA after all. The art is different but I find it visually appealing. Tbh I loved this adaptation, I honestly felt like a kid again when I watched it. I absolutely can't wait for 2018.

9/10
Sep 15, 2017 8:02 PM

Aug 2014
Doubles as the prologue to Netsuzou Trap?

Never finished the CCS anime, just the manga. Just realized I never heard the JP VA before, some voices were unexpected. Art style is updated, but the softer colors are more reminiscent of the manga. Nice to revisit the ending again before CCH.
Sieg Zeon!
Sep 15, 2017 9:08 PM
Jan 2015
I think I'm more upset by the poor animation quality and Sakura's lack of common sense this episode than I am about it backtracking and being pure nichijou.

I'm totally fine with them correcting the ending and all that. It needs to happen.
But can we put some effort into it? I mean seriously... 20 years and THIS piece of crap is what they decide to give us?
*groan*

I mean, sure if the manga ended this way then whatever. But... Sakura has Time, Fly, Jump, and Dash and not a single one of them came to mind for getting to him faster?
Hell, Yue and Kero can fly and yet she takes Toya's bike.
Sep 16, 2017 2:09 AM

Oct 2008
Farii-chan said:
I think I'm more upset by the poor animation quality and Sakura's lack of common sense this episode than I am about it backtracking and being pure nichijou.

I'm totally fine with them correcting the ending and all that. It needs to happen.
But can we put some effort into it? I mean seriously... 20 years and THIS piece of crap is what they decide to give us?
*groan*

I mean, sure if the manga ended this way then whatever. But... Sakura has Time, Fly, Jump, and Dash and not a single one of them came to mind for getting to him faster?

I found that a little weird too... But also, Time and Dash does not exist in the manga canon.
Sep 16, 2017 9:37 AM

Feb 2008
I can't remember much what happen previous seasons last time I watched Cardcaptor Sakura were quite a long time ago.
But wouldn't be a bad idea to use magic?
Since usually they want to keep ordinary day unless something happen.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Sep 16, 2017 9:46 AM

Mar 2012
I recently re-watched the original series and all the movies when I heard that something new was coming out. With the old art-style and animation fresh in my mind I really felt that this version was pretty bad, really wish that they would have stuck with the old character designs at least.

I think it's about time I read the manga, I have no clue what others are talking about ^^;
Maou_heikaSep 16, 2017 9:54 AM
Sep 16, 2017 11:56 AM
Jan 2015
Actar said:
Farii-chan said:

*groan*

I found that a little weird too... But also, Time and Dash does not exist in the manga canon.

Wait, really? I'm guessing Hope doesn't either then?
Sep 16, 2017 12:07 PM

Oct 2008
Farii-chan said:
Actar said:

The only cards that exist in the manga are:

Windy
Woody
Jump
Fly
Watery
Illusion
Sheild
Flower
Sword
Thunder
Shadow
Glow
Mirror
Maze
Erase
Light
Dark
Firey
Earthy

Hope doesn't exist, the Nameless Card doesn't exist, Meiling doesn't exist, Li's butler doesn't exist. I mean, I wasn't the biggest fan of Meiling, but I've grown quite attached to her over the years as part of the regular cast... (T.T)
Sep 16, 2017 12:18 PM

Jan 2012
It was so nostalgic!!!! Besides feeling the animation was a bit slow, like when Sakura was rushing to go catch Shaoran, her movements were so calm when she was putting her rollerblades, I still loved the OVA and can't wait to watch the anime!!!! Since the manga seems promising ^_^
Sep 16, 2017 10:13 PM

Jul 2016
Oh man, what a hit right to the feels. So nostalgic but to be honest, I found the declaration in the end of the anime and the second movie more emotive and sweeter (I know it doesn't happen this way in the manga -obviously-).

Overall, I really enjoyed this ova. I watched this anime for the first time when I was 11 (almost 13 years ago) so it is really good to know about a new season coming.

P.S.: I almost forgot how much I loved Tomoyo's voice when she sings.
Sep 16, 2017 10:14 PM

Dec 2011
I don't care, literally cried the moment I saw Sakura cuz the nostalgia :'v

Sep 16, 2017 10:56 PM

Oct 2008
Out of curiosity, have you guys actually rewatched the original in recent years?
Sep 16, 2017 11:04 PM
Aug 2011
Actar said:
Out of curiosity, have you guys actually rewatched the original in recent years?

I actually finished the CCS anime for the first time in my life in 2015, and read the manga in 2016.
This OVA seemed much more "floaty", but otherwise I don't see any jarring problem with this. The voices also sound almost identical, holy crap.
Sep 16, 2017 11:20 PM

Oct 2008
stand said:
Actar said:

I actually finished the CCS anime for the first time in my life in 2015, and read the manga in 2016.
This OVA seemed much more "floaty", but otherwise I don't see any jarring problem with this. The voices also sound almost identical, holy crap.

Oh, no. I was asking that in reference to the nostalgia.
Sep 17, 2017 11:29 AM

Dec 2008
I've loved volume 12 since I was 9 years old and though I mostly enjoyed this OVA, especially how they recreated the facial expressions to near perfection, I didn't like how fast-paced it gets after the confession. It kinda broke the mood compared to the manga. They toned down the Eriol/Kaho scene and Sakura's breakdown (she recovers so fast lmao) and took out those lovely scenes with Chiharu (and Yamazaki) and Rika supporting her. Also, the last scene was way too brief and watered down with no emotional buildup. Those would be my main complaints lol. Sakura's hair color is lighter and looks a bit odd like Shaoran's eyes but that didn't bother me that much in comparison. Same with other unexpected stylistic choices they took, like exaggerating the atmosphere in the confession scene (I expected something more... quiet and tense, I guess). Now, Tomoyo singing was a 10/10 addition; I'm so glad they did that, I love Iwao Junko's singing so much. I was super happy to finally see that adorable Nakuru in color and moving too...
Sep 17, 2017 1:15 PM

Dec 2015
It was... useful by adapting part of the 12th book cut out in the 90s series. They tried too much to simulate the various styles used in the comic, but succeed at badly drawing the main one.
The voices were all fine. Though Ogata seemed different, with a higher voice than before on this role.

Being this compressed, I understand the need of focusing on the Shaolan/Sakura wrap-up but it still leaves out the reincarnation/magical explanation for Sakura and Toya's origin, a key element for people who never read the manga.

Enjoyment: 2/5
Score: 6/10 It served its purpose, while lacking any real quality.
Rei_IIISep 17, 2017 1:28 PM
Sep 17, 2017 7:19 PM

Mar 2015
As someone who is a fan of both works, it was really nice seeing the manga ending adapted. However, with that being said, the OP did mention something that is interesting: how will the upcoming adaptation be translated into the anime? There are so many differences (that a few people have pointed out), and while some of these changes were made in this prologue episode... there is a lot of things that haven't been discussed. It reminds me of what Blue Exorcist tried to do with it's second season, where it almost completely ignores the anime only second half of season one. But this would be a lot to write off.

I, personally, love the anime. While the manga is one of my absolute favorites, the anime's addition of other characters and more cards meant we got to see the characters more and I personally love the development of Sakura and Shaoron's relationship in the anime a lot more because of the time it is given. With that said, I'm really hoping that these are the only changes made (in regards to the two bears and the house being there.) I haven't read this new storyline yet, so I don't know how these items are important, but if they ARE important, I definitely understand the need to add them back in. But I would really hope that Meilin still has a role written in for her, and I hope all the cards from the anime make it in as well.

With that said, I enjoyed it for purely nostalgic reasons. It does make me a bit nervous for the upcoming season...

I have to agree with the OP on this. It would be one thing if they rebooted the show to be manga only, but the anime is truly wonderful. It's probably one of the few times I really enjoyed "anime only" endings MORE than the manga itself. I really hope they don't write everything out and include it.
Sep 19, 2017 9:30 AM

Dec 2011
I enjoyed this so much, it's like a part of me has found peace. This is closure 20 years in the making. I am FILLED with such nostalgia - the ost, the voices, the softness in these characters - all of it is so familiar. Taking something from so long ago and bringing it to modern times, ... honestly never thought this would happen. The anime-only canon, both the series and the movie, are so beautiful. Equally beautiful is the manga canon. And now we have both :*)

...Which is why I don't understand anime-only fans who are upset with this? This OVA existing doesn't suddenly negate the anime canon? That canon is complete? Those episodes and movies are still out there for you to watch any time you want??

I feel this OVA did its job of introducing the manga's end to fans who've only seen the anime, or fans who know the manga but it's been so many years that they may have forgotten the details. Now everyone knows the context for the Clear Card Arc sequel: Syaoran's "There's something I have to do in Hong Kong." Those romantic still shots with added effects and sparkly dream-like sequences? Ex. the cards appearing when Syaoran explained his leaving? I'm pretty sure that's to trigger your memories of Sakura's adventure, since the cards weren't shown beforehand. More than just adapting the ending of the manga, this OVA is set up entirely to be the context for the beginning. It's reminiscing the feelings that the CCS series is supposed to make you feel... and I, for one, feel warm.

A little part of me has always wished to see Sakura's battle against Eriol animated. I hoped ~a little~ that a part of that would also be included in the OVA. The final battle costume and the act of her transforming the last cards all by herself make the manga's ending a little more special to me than the anime, in that regard. That being said, I wonder how closely the sequel will follow its source? I hope Madhouse now has a feel of how they want to animate the sequel, and make it that much better.
CMYKSep 19, 2017 9:35 AM
Sep 25, 2017 11:02 AM

Aug 2007
maybe I am wrong, but this OVA adapts the final of the first manga. Thats why this cant fit the final of the series (and the movie).

I like the animation. Oh, my childhood memories. I remember when I watched Sakura on tv.
Sep 26, 2017 12:08 AM

Nov 2007
Actar said:
Farii-chan said:

The only cards that exist in the manga are:

Windy
Woody
Jump
Fly
Watery
Illusion
Sheild
Flower
Sword
Thunder
Shadow
Glow
Mirror
Maze
Erase
Light
Dark
Firey
Earthy

Hope doesn't exist, the Nameless Card doesn't exist, Meiling doesn't exist, Li's butler doesn't exist. I mean, I wasn't the biggest fan of Meiling, but I've grown quite attached to her over the years as part of the regular cast... (T.T)
Yet they are releasing new merch, for the new anime/manga that include the other cards and Meiling.
Sep 26, 2017 1:29 AM

Aug 2011
This ova so good, nice animation and VA cast. This bring back my childhood memories.
Sep 29, 2017 12:48 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
This prologue made me a bit sad, makes me wonder why Sakura didn't just fly, but maybe because she wants to live in normal way.

Can't wait for when she's a middle schooler^^

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Sep 29, 2017 2:11 AM

May 2010
This was kinda meh tbh. I expected smth better considering I rlly liked the original anime. Oh well.
Oct 7, 2017 10:45 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
nice plot, easy but full of feelings...and the stylization of the characters were cool!!!
A love story, innocent story a half way between the past and a new future series!!! In January 2018 if not mistake!!! ;)
Oct 10, 2017 7:52 AM
Oct 2016
Actar said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Sigh... I was afraid something like this was going to happen...

So, regarding the new Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card Arc Prologue OVA... I honestly didn't enjoy it. From what I gather, it animates the ending of the manga and retells the scene of Sakura coming to terms with the fact that Li loves her and that he's leaving for Hong Kong. I didn't know this going in (and I think many others don't either) and boy was I in for a surprise (not in a good sense). To preface this review, I am first and foremost a fan of the original anime. I grew up with it, it was a major part of my childhood, blah, blah, blah... and I am going to give you guys my opinion of it as a fan of the original anime.

Firstly, I could not understand what was up with the art, the animation and the character designs. The blank chibi characters, the overuse of cut-away flowery overlays/backgrounds and random inserts like faces and text were so jarring. I think this is one of the cases where they were trying to be WAY too accurate with the adaptation for it to flow well in animated format because the pacing felt off for me as well. I don't remember any of these techniques being used in the anime version at all (at least not to this extent). It was more cognizant of the medium it was in and adjusted its storytelling to fit. What with the greater emphasis on melancholy, silence and overall uneasiness while ending on an uplifting note with Sakura realizing and accepting her feelings, symbolized by the creation of her first original Sakura Card. But I digress. Essentially, I felt that the entire OVA lacked subtlety. It felt like they needed to make crystal clear what the emotions of all the characters were with in-your-face visual metaphors.

Also, I really did not see a point to this OVA. Like, at all. If you are a fan of the manga, I guess it'll be a really great experience? I guess they were they trying to get anime-only fans acquainted with the manga canon? For me, it was just a rehash with less emotional weight. Does this mean that the Clear Card Arc will invalidate everything about the second movie? The one where everything concluded perfectly with Sakura confessing her love to Li? I really don't know how to feel about that.

This goes beyond a simple unnecessary continuation of an old franchise. What does this mean for the Clear Card Arc anime? If they're going to disregard the anime canon and the second movie and continue with the manga canon, I don't think I'll be able to get invested in it at all. Only 19 Cards? No Meiling? Oh dear... In fact, they might as well have gone the whole Sailor Moon Crystal route and completely rebooted it as this is pretty much tantamount to that. Maybe worse, as anime-only fans like myself will feel this disconnect as elements don't add up. If you ask me, if they had wanted to make it a continuation, they should have adapted it to fit with the anime canon. As-is, it's like they didn't even attempt to make it similar in feel to the original anime.

Honestly, as a fan of the anime, I feel betrayed. They took part of what I loved and said... NOPE. It didn't happen. But I guess this must how manga fans must have felt when the original anime came out. What comes around goes around, huh? (^.^') At least I can just renounce this like I did with Digimon tri. and save all that cash on merchandise.

(Or maybe I'll fall in love with it regardless. We'll see.)

This ova is very important for sequel continuation. Why? there are two compelling reasons why it takes an ending manga for a sequel.

first, age rating. the 90's anime rated children or all ages. not all manga content appear clearly.
pedopil and homosexual for example

rika and her elementary school teacher.
kaho and erio [?]
touya and yukito
tomoya to sakura
mother tomoyo to mother sakura.

anime not openly by disclosing the relationship "wrong" them.

and ova clearly show kaho and eriol holding hands just like lovers.

I think they want to assert that anime sequel ccs is no longer for children, who have to be good moral.

second, Saoran's promise. This may be skipped anyway, but not great, if no strong reason Saoran back to Japan and one school with Sakura. viewers could misunderstand that Saoran back because there is a problem, not because of Sakura.
Oct 17, 2017 2:16 PM
運命の天使

Dec 2011
I definitely missed this series! Well, I'm totally satisfied with the ending which was supposed to be the second movie. But since they are about to make a new season to continue the series which I believe was not really planned before, it really makes sense that they would need to create an episode that would link the previous season to the new one - which is this OVA. I must say that they have done a good job on following and linking the ending of the original manga and the beginning of the clear card manga. Not to mention the fanservice of seeing Sakura and Shaoran finally hugging each other as a couple, that used to be only in our imagination. This OVA just made me remember why I love this couple so much and how much of a fan I still am of this series.

⚔️ Cards Delivery | Challenges | Events ⚔️

Oct 23, 2017 10:26 AM

Jun 2012
The artwork although appealing did have some issues. I really liked the traditional style with pointed chins and all, they seem to have disappeared in this OVA. The voice actors all did wonderful job like always. It kinda broke my heart to hear Megumi Ogata's voice though. It did not seem energetic like the old one and a bit too deep.

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
-- Murakami Haruki
Nov 16, 2017 10:46 AM

Sep 2009
so basically this OVA is to overwrite the last few episodes of the original and movie and bring it in line manga. Okay. good.
Dec 3, 2017 7:28 PM

Jan 2011
So to all studios who think they can't do future sequels because of anime-only endings...here is how you pick up the slack.

The art is refreshed while maintaining the old CLAMP 90s feel. Madhouse did an exceptional job keeping in line with their previous work all this time later. SFX and music is pure nostalgia. Having the same voice cast is a huge bonus and imo shows just how much love they themselves probably have for this title a decade later.
IZEROIIDec 3, 2017 7:43 PM
Dec 11, 2017 5:00 PM

Jan 2012
Man I felt so bad that I could remember most of the plot points because I watch CCS waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when I was a little kid.

They really made Syaoran back in less than 3 minutes? That made the build up pointless!
Shoulda went with the NTR route
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» AX screening

Himeno - Jul 1, 2017

1 by hgpa »»
Jul 16, 2017 1:47 AM

» PV out! ( 1 2 )

Baka_Debakar - Apr 1, 2017

51 by AnimeEnTranced »»
Apr 29, 2017 12:36 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.