Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 11, 2017 5:07 PM
Jun 2016
yeah another one of those, but kinda curious about this series with the new season starting up, havn't watched anything, so no nothing about it really yet.
Sep 11, 2017 8:34 PM

Jun 2017

Hmm I haven't really gotten into the whole franchise yet, only at season 1.
But so far Gintama's comedy relies on a lot on self-aware comedy and a ton of references to older anime.
Once every 15-30 episodes, there are more serious arcs. Which I get really hooked on.
Other than that, episodes are filled with randomness and humor that may need censorship. It typically needs a older and 'more mature' audience.
Hence you need to watch it with the mindset of a comedy anime. Don't expect it to be sci-fi and typical shounen type anime with training arcs.
Overall, I really recommend it! A diverse cast with distinct personality traits that never gets boring.
Hope that helped (:
PS: if you really get into it, skip the first two episodes of Gintama (its filler)
yuzumatchaSep 22, 2017 11:24 PM

͏ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀʏ ᴄᴏɴᴛᴀɪɴs ᴀ ʟᴏᴛ ᴏғ sᴛᴜғғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ʙʀᴀɪɴ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ʟᴇᴛs ᴇɴᴛᴇʀ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴄᴏɴsᴄɪᴏᴜsɴᴇss ᴅᴜʀɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀᴋɪɴɢ ᴅᴀʏ. ᴀ ʟᴏᴛ ᴏғ ᴏʟᴅ ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀɪᴇs ɢᴇᴛ ᴅʀᴀɢɢᴇᴅ ᴏᴜᴛ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ sʜᴜғғʟᴇ, ᴛᴏᴏ. ᴛʜᴀᴛ's ᴡʜʏ ᴇᴠᴇɴᴛs ʏᴏᴜ ᴍᴀʏ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ʜᴀᴠᴇ sᴇᴇɴ ᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏᴜᴛ sᴀᴜɴᴛᴇʀɪɴɢ ɪɴ ᴀɴᴅ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴏғ ɴᴏᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ɪɴ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍs
~ɴᴀᴛsᴜʜɪᴋᴏ ᴋʏᴏɢᴏᴋᴜ
Sep 11, 2017 8:52 PM
Jun 2016
yuzumatcha said:

Hmm I haven't really gotten into the whole franchise yet, only at season 1.
But so far Gintama's comedy relies on a lot on self-aware comedy and a ton of references to older anime.
Once every 15-30 episodes, there are more serious arcs. Which I get really hooked on.
Other than that, episodes are filled with randomness and humor that may need censorship. It typically needs a older and 'more mature' audience.
Hence you need to watch it with the mindset of a comedy anime. Don't expect it to be sci-fi and typical shounen type anime with training arcs, battles, bad guys etc.
Overall, I really recommend it! A diverse cast with distinct personality traits that never gets boring.
Hope that helped (:
PS: if you really get into it, skip the first two episodes of Gintama (its filler)

thanks :> the 300 episodes on cr made me a bit worried about starting it any time soon :> I will definetly check it out heh. Too many series that are 100+ or close to it
Sep 12, 2017 2:16 AM

Jan 2013
You can read my review here why you should watch Gintama-series :)
https://reilvrein.wordpress.com/2016/03/24/gintama/

Sep 12, 2017 6:31 PM

Jul 2015
Do know that the series is ending soon, I expect the manga to end in April 2018, and the Anime to start in Mid to Late 2018
Sup...
Sep 13, 2017 5:02 AM
Apr 2015
You should definitely try it! I was uncertain about it at first, too.. But then I totally fell in love with it, you learn to love all the characters of this anime, and believe me, there are A LOT, and they're all adorable idiots
Also the more you get into the story, the more serious it gets, the last four arcs (including the one currently going on in the manga) are all super serious, emotional arcs, absolutely beautiful. Hope you'll love it too!
Sep 29, 2017 2:28 AM

Aug 2014
wolfwing said:
thanks :> the 300 episodes on cr made me a bit worried about starting it any time soon :> I will definetly check it out heh. Too many series that are 100+ or close to it

I started watching at the start of this year I think and just steadily watched 1-3 episodes a day. Since it's mostly a comedy series it's PERFECT to just casually watch an episode a day.

Now today I finally finished all 320 ish episodes after some months and I can say yes, it's worth it to watch. The first 24 episodes are a bit boring since they introduce characters and mostly do some random stuff with aliens. Episode 25 is the first real memorable episode that will have you crying from laughing.

Around episode 60 is where the real plot / action arcs start being introduced periodically.
Sep 29, 2017 9:56 AM
Jun 2016
WeeziMonkey said:
wolfwing said:

I started watching at the start of this year I think and just steadily watched 1-3 episodes a day. Since it's mostly a comedy series it's PERFECT to just casually watch an episode a day.

Now today I finally finished all 320 ish episodes after some months and I can say yes, it's worth it to watch. The first 24 episodes are a bit boring since they introduce characters and mostly do some random stuff with aliens. Episode 25 is the first real memorable episode that will have you crying from laughing.

Around episode 60 is where the real plot / action arcs start being introduced periodically.

Thanks :> Maybe I will go through this year and watch it bit by bit as a project and be ready for next years :> if they do any more.

it's a bit daunting, like I want to watch case closed, this, noruto, and many more but it's like GAHH!!!, not counting the 300 or so regular series I want to watch heh.
Sep 29, 2017 10:15 AM

Aug 2014
wolfwing said:
WeeziMonkey said:

Thanks :> Maybe I will go through this year and watch it bit by bit as a project and be ready for next years :> if they do any more.

it's a bit daunting, like I want to watch case closed, this, noruto, and many more but it's like GAHH!!!, not counting the 300 or so regular series I want to watch heh.

You know what makes those 300+ episodes less daunting? Normal shounen anime like Dragon Ball Z and Naruto often have arcs that last SO MANY EPISODES with SUCH SLOW PACING. When Frieza in Dragon Ball Z said the planet would explode in "5 minutes", those 5 minutes lasted 20 whole episodes.

This is not the case in Gintama. Longer arcs never last any longer than 4-6 episodes. The exception being when the series is getting close to the end. And of course most episodes are just random, self-contained comedy episodes.
Sep 29, 2017 10:20 AM
Jun 2016
WeeziMonkey said:
wolfwing said:

You know what makes those 300+ episodes less daunting? Normal shounen anime like Dragon Ball Z and Naruto often have arcs that last SO MANY EPISODES with SUCH SLOW PACING. When Frieza in Dragon Ball Z said the planet would explode in "5 minutes", those 5 minutes lasted 20 whole episodes.

This is not the case in Gintama. Longer arcs never last any longer than 4-6 episodes. The exception being when the series is getting close to the end. And of course most episodes are just random, self-contained comedy episodes.

Makes sense, I have been doing the 1-3 epsidoes every so often method for things like southern cross, neo human casshan and fist of the north star, good shows, but I can't wtch the entire series in a few days even though I watch enough episodes to do so a week heh. My ad/os kicks in alot and end up watching 30 shows at a time, or stopping for a few months and going back to finish. though will be slower with fall tv series coming back. Oh well :>
Sep 29, 2017 10:40 AM
Sep 2017
If you don't mind it being episodic, you'll love it
Sep 30, 2017 1:28 AM

Aug 2017
I recommend
Firstly, it may seem a bit slow, but over time it will improve. xD
do not worry about the fact of the 300 episodes, they are well worked out. and when you least expect it, you're already looking forward to more
Oct 1, 2017 2:32 AM

Jan 2016
Yes, please do your self a favour and watch this
Oct 1, 2017 2:51 AM

Jul 2012
Pay no mind to the haters, besides a part of Gintama's fanbase being rather toxic and creating alt-accounts to downvote other series (much like most of the fanbase of any anime in the top 20), it IS as amazing as people claim it to be.

You won't ever regret catching up with this one, is one of the better if not the best comedy anime out there (and also a great serious one when it wants to).
Oct 1, 2017 3:11 AM

Sep 2017
You should. If you follow the plebeian mindset of 3 episode drop theory then this is not for you.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 1, 2017 4:08 AM
Nov 2013
So just throwing this out here. It's not REALLY episodic. Just has an episodic nature. Most new arcs have some form of character development or even reoccurring joke that lasts. Characters grow throughout subtly and refer to past events. There's a ton of foreshadowing too. So even though it may seem episodic, it's not really, there is clear progression
Oct 1, 2017 4:41 AM

Sep 2016
Highly recommended!
It's episodic at first, but once you get into it, the series drifts into 2 different directions: episodic and serious arcs, while still maintaining the comedy genre.
Don't bench the series though! There's a lot of episodes which can tire you out if you watch them every day for many hours. Also, if you watch the series too fast, you'll suddenly find yourself sad that there's suddenly not more episodes left to watch (that's what happened to me once I finished Gintama 2015, lol - such a great season)

Oct 1, 2017 5:16 AM

May 2016
I recommend watching it with 'killing time' in mind rather than trying to finish or to know its story. Remember to casually watch it.
Ofc I'm not forcing on how to watch it, but I believe this mindset will get you maximum enjoyment out of it which is why I recommend it. Gintama is an episodic nature anime after.
Oct 2, 2017 12:24 AM
Aug 2017
If you want, you can binge read the manga. It is faster than catching up by the anime and you can watch your favorite arcs on anime when you have free time. The one thing with Gintama is even if you already read the manga, watching the anime is still awesome.
Oct 2, 2017 12:37 AM

Jan 2017
I got into Gintama only this year and it totally consumed me. I've never enjoyed anything as much as Gintama. Not because of the comedy, it just has something special.

Watch first 50 episodes (it gets real by 60) and you will definitely love it.
Oct 2, 2017 1:22 AM

Nov 2013
how fast can you catch up is the real question
Oct 2, 2017 2:15 AM

Mar 2016
herrickluk said:
3 Days to 1 Week. I guess...
My Profile
Anime
Manga
osu! Profile
No Picture Available for me... lol.
Oct 2, 2017 2:17 AM

Sep 2016
you can always watch it with x3 speed to catch up
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 2, 2017 2:27 AM

Nov 2013
GangsterCat said:
you can always watch it with x3 speed to catch up

For a newcomer I probably wouldn't recommend speeding through it since the tempo of the story adds to the meaningfulness of some dialogues .

I'd agree that you should just watch it leisurely vs trying to just skim through it . I rmbr back when I first started this on crunchyroll, it was good because i watched it for the laugh vs seeing it as a goal to finish
Oct 2, 2017 2:39 AM
Jun 2016
herrickluk said:

hehe 15 days in theory, but I'm busy so only able to watch so many a day, and alot goes to new stuff each day.
Oct 2, 2017 2:44 AM

Nov 2016
It's good but overrated

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama. Porori-hen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

-Stray - Oct 1, 2017

174 by aboosejp »»
Sep 1, 2023 4:24 PM

Poll: » Gintama.: Porori-hen Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Dec 24, 2017

90 by Alex_TheForest »»
Aug 6, 2023 5:28 PM

Poll: » Gintama.: Porori-hen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Dec 17, 2017

94 by Alex_TheForest »»
Aug 6, 2023 4:39 PM

Poll: » Gintama.: Porori-hen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Dec 10, 2017

55 by Alex_TheForest »»
Aug 6, 2023 2:23 PM

Poll: » Gintama.: Porori-hen Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

-Stray - Dec 3, 2017

75 by Alex_TheForest »»
Aug 6, 2023 1:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.