Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Can we just stop and imagine how amazing beserk 2016 and beserk 2017 would be if they looked like this?

New
Sep 11, 2017 1:22 PM

Sep 2016
Sep 12, 2017 4:45 PM

Jun 2017
Personally I'd love to see Berserk animated in the style of the Castlevania mini-series on Netflix, rather than CG.
Sep 13, 2017 8:39 AM

Apr 2017
I'm not a fan of the awkward robotic movements of CG characters. Even if the CG is top quality, I still think good old 2D would suit Berserk much better.

This video serves as a good explanation for why Berserk should have 2D animation.

Sep 14, 2017 7:24 AM

Sep 2016
zodd0 said:
I'm not a fan of the awkward robotic movements of CG characters. Even if the CG is top quality, I still think good old 2D would suit Berserk much better.

This video serves as a good explanation for why Berserk should have 2D animation.

I watched the video. And with 2d yes berserk is unadaptable but cg is entirely different. Look at dark souls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWBwFhUv1-8 This rivals the manga. And unlike 2d animation you don't have to redraw every frame so it'ed be quicker.
I've surpassed your limit!
Sep 14, 2017 8:05 AM

Apr 2017
iorn said:
I watched the video. And with 2d yes berserk is unadaptable but cg is entirely different. Look at dark souls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWBwFhUv1-8 This rivals the manga. And unlike 2d animation you don't have to redraw every frame so it'ed be quicker.

No, 2d animation is exactly what Berserk needs.

I don't understand why anyone would want Berserk to look like a video game...
Sep 14, 2017 6:01 PM

Sep 2016
zodd0 said:
iorn said:

No, 2d animation is exactly what Berserk needs.

I don't understand why anyone would want Berserk to look like a video game...

Cg allows for more flexibility and detail than 2d animation would ever allow. Not to mention that animating a hyper realistic artstyle by hand would be nothing short of hell... Look at the video I posted. Nothing close to that has been animated.
Sep 14, 2017 6:21 PM

Sep 2009
Lel why don't we just leave Berserk in the shithole that it deserves?
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 15, 2017 2:36 AM

Apr 2017
iorn said:
Cg allows for more flexibility and detail than 2d animation would ever allow. Not to mention that animating a hyper realistic artstyle by hand would be nothing short of hell...

Miuras artwork will never be matched in quality regardless of animation. The creators of the 1997 anime made Berserk look great despite a low budget. Every CG adaptation since than has been terrible...

iorn said:
Look at the video I posted. Nothing close to that has been animated.

Video games are video games. Anime is anime.
Sep 15, 2017 11:08 AM

Jun 2017
iorn said:
Cg allows for more flexibility and detail than 2d animation would ever allow. Not to mention that animating a hyper realistic artstyle by hand would be nothing short of hell... Look at the video I posted. Nothing close to that has been animated.

Watched the video, agree that it looks very similar to Berserk. The problem is that those are most likely short cutscenes, and so are probably the only parts of the game that are actually rendered with high detail and motion capture for realistic movement. The rest of the game most likely uses a different engine and relies on pre-programmed movement, lower quality artwork, flattened pre-rendered backgrounds, and cloned enemies, otherwise the game would take forever to load. Those kinds of things don't work for anime - look up footage of the new Berserk/Dynasty Warriors video game for comparison. The game has Guts and all the other characters repeating the same moves over and over, slaughtering hordes of identical enemies, and it would be incredibly boring if the anime series was like that.

Doing an entire 26-episode series in the style of game cutscenes would be prohibitively expensive - there's a reason only extremely big-name and popular franchises get full CG movies, and even then it's usually just one 2-hour movie. In fact, the only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Final Fantasy, Halo, and Resident Evil, and RE's CG movies are noticeably less polished than the other two. A handful of other series, like Mass Effect and Dead Space, were big enough to have direct-to-DVD movies, but those were mostly done in a hand-drawn anime style, as was the Castlevania Netflix series. On top of that, video games tend to have much higher budgets and profit margins than anime series, so they can afford expensive CG for cutscenes and promotional materials since they can expect a much higher return on that investment.

It would be great if Berserk got that kind of money, but short of me winning a Powerball lotto jackpot of $700 million+ and financing it myself, it's never going to happen. If you want CG animation on an anime budget, you end up with, well... the 2016/2017 Berserk series.
LunaLenaSep 15, 2017 11:18 AM
Sep 15, 2017 12:40 PM

Sep 2016
zodd0 said:
iorn said:
Cg allows for more flexibility and detail than 2d animation would ever allow. Not to mention that animating a hyper realistic artstyle by hand would be nothing short of hell...

Miuras artwork will never be matched in quality regardless of animation. The creators of the 1997 anime made Berserk look great despite a low budget. Every CG adaptation since than has been terrible...

iorn said:
Look at the video I posted. Nothing close to that has been animated.

Video games are video games. Anime is anime.

Cg isn't exclusive to video games look at the transformers movies.
Sep 15, 2017 12:42 PM

Jan 2009
anime is all about low cost, maybe 10 years from now when that visual quality is as cheap as anime production today
Sep 15, 2017 12:44 PM

Sep 2016
I understand where you're coming from. But video games have reached the point where they're not that far behind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m71fUPGDaMw
Oct 24, 2017 8:03 AM
May 2010
lol That will never happen. TV production quality will always remain the same, even the exceptional "highly-acclaimed" series that puts a little more money into the budget. Even as movies, Berserk's animation quality was merely above-average. There's no way Japan would put that kind of money into cartoons, and trust me, The Witcher's kind of "animation" needs A LOT of money.
Oct 27, 2017 9:20 PM

Sep 2016
RyderFlynn said:
lol That will never happen. TV production quality will always remain the same, even the exceptional "highly-acclaimed" series that puts a little more money into the budget. Even as movies, Berserk's animation quality was merely above-average. There's no way Japan would put that kind of money into cartoons, and trust me, The Witcher's kind of "animation" needs A LOT of money.

You don't need to put more money into it. You just need to have workers who give a shit about the product they're making.... When you hire someone with passion they're going to put effort into it.
Oct 27, 2017 10:37 PM

Apr 2011
Hell no, the action scene would be garbage. I refuse to watch a Berserk with Matrix slowmo swordfights.
Oct 28, 2017 4:12 PM
May 2010
iorn said:
RyderFlynn said:

You don't need to put more money into it. You just need to have workers who give a shit about the product they're making.... When you hire someone with passion they're going to put effort into it.

But you do have to spend money to hire such talents. And even if they do hire someone who gives a shit, the kind of technology to replicate The Witcher's animation quality is definitely very expensive to acquire, that I'm quite sure of, as I've seen docs of animators suffering from budget issues when they desired better animation quality.
Oct 28, 2017 5:10 PM

Feb 2016
You just need to take the manga, put it on a screen, and hire voice actors. Perfect adaptation.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2017

85 by Revanant1999 »»
Jan 25, 12:46 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 19, 2017

65 by KonokoAsada »»
Jan 20, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2017

65 by KonokoAsada »»
Nov 5, 2023 2:08 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2017

102 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 18, 2023 1:02 AM

» 3rd season?

Arddaa52 - Jul 5, 2021

19 by Amirsalar88 »»
Jul 15, 2023 9:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.