Forum Settings
Forums
Sep 11, 2017 12:12 PM

So I've only played the first level (Kokiri forest + Deku Tree) of Ocarina of Time and I played some pieces of Twilight Princess. I have the hardware to play every game now and wondering which ones should i play? What order? Any ones I should skip? Thank you

Sep 11, 2017 12:27 PM

3D? Play from first to last? They are all good, the lesser one would be twilight princess, afterwards skyward sword got better again.

Sep 11, 2017 12:29 PM

Doesn't really matter, just play BotW if that's why you're doing this

Sep 11, 2017 12:31 PM

Zelda is overrated.

Don't even waste your time playing the Zelda games. Go play something good instead.
Note: If you disagree with my opinions, don't quote me. Just ignore me instead.

Sep 11, 2017 12:33 PM

You can pretty much play them in any order since the timeline is stupid anyway.

For 3d games Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are good entry points. Maybe OOT 3D has good controls too but I've only played the N64 version. OOT doesn't stray from the formula much/at all so it'll give you an idea of what Zelda games are like. Breath of the Wild is very different from other 3D Zeldas but if you're used to open world stuff you'll be okay.

Majora's Mask is something I would put off until you've played other Zeldas since the structure is real weird with repeating the same 3-day cycle and there's a much bigger focus on sidequests than main dungeons. Skyward Sword is ......okay? It uses wii motion plus so the controls are kinda rancid. It has some creative puzzles but there's a lot of padding, especially near the end.

For 2d/handheld games, try Minish Cap or A Link Between Worlds. Then go back and try the Oracle Games/Link's Awakening (I hate those games but I'm alone in that thinking lol). Haven't played Spirit Tracks/Phantom Hourglass for more than 15 minutes so idk what to do with those.

Zelda 1 and 2 are very archaic and difficult so I wouldn't recommend starting with those. A Link to the Past is better in that regard but I'd still say play A Link Between Worlds first if you want an easier game.

Sep 11, 2017 7:11 PM

Seiya said:
Zelda is overrated. Don't even waste your time playing the Zelda games. Go play something good instead.

Yeah...Zelda is only an excuse Nintendo fans use to try to stay relevant.

Sep 11, 2017 7:41 PM

If you have OoT and Majora's Mask for the 3DS, start with those two in that order. After that, go back and play A Link to the Past, any version will do. Then play Link's Awakening DX. At th is point you can choose to play Seasons & Ages, or not, they're not very relevant anymore and they've aged kinda poorly. There's also 4 Swords Adventure and Minish Cap, and those can also be passed on.

Then it's time for Wind Waker on the Wii U, although the gamecube version will still do fine. You may want to play Wind Waker for the Wii U immediately however, as the miiverse functionality implemented into it will go away fairly soon as Nintendo shuts down Miiverse, but it's not anything integral to the game.

After Wind Waker you can choose to play or not to play the DS spin offs, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. They're not exactly relevant, but they're fairly decent. Whatever your decision is, at this point I would have you go back and play the original NES game, or on the eshop if you find it, and then Link's Adventure. Twilight Princess is after all that, and then Skyward sword.

After Skyward Sword would be the time to pick up A Link Between Worlds. Then if you choose you can try Triforce Heroes. Hyrule Warriors would fit in here, but is the least important game for you to play.

After aaaall of that, you're caught up, and you can play Breath of the Wild.

1: Ocarina of Time
2: Majora's Mask
3: A Link to the Past
4: Link's Awakening DX
Optional: Oracle of Seasons / Oracle of Ages
Optional 2: 4 Swords Adventure
Optional 3: Minish Cap
5: Wind Waker
Optional 4: Phantom Hourglass
Optional 5: Spirit Tracks
6: Zelda (NES)
7: Link's Adventure
8: Twilight Princess
9: Skyward Sword
10: A Link Between Worlds
Optional 6: Triforce Heroes
Optional 7: Hyrule Warriors
11: Breath of the Wild

Sep 11, 2017 10:35 PM

It doesn't really matter. Just play Majora's Mask.

Sep 12, 2017 2:13 AM

Doesn't matter. A timeline exists, but the games are all standalone (think Final Fantasy or Pokemon). First Zelda game I beat was Ocarina of Time and later Majora's Mask, so there's no real need to follow any order.

Sep 12, 2017 9:47 AM

For the 3D Zeldas, I highly recommend starting off with either Wind Waker or Ocarina of Time 3D. Twilight Princess has awful pacing at the beginning, and Skyward Sword...well...just doesn't feel much like Zelda. After Ocarina of Time, move on to Majora's Mask 3D. That game is brilliant, but not reccomended for first time players.

As for the 2D Zeldas, go with A Link to the Past or The Minish Cap.
>>Petition for a legal reform for the law regarding sexual violence in Japan<<

http://chng.it/tXTbL2yJgG

Sep 12, 2017 10:55 AM

I've never liked the 3D Zelda games much, but for 2D, A Link to the Past and Oracle of Ages/Seasons are great games.

Sep 12, 2017 5:19 PM

If you want to start from 2D, try Minish Cap -> A link to The Past -> A link Between World -> Everything else.

If you want to start from 3D, Wind Waker / Twilight Princess is really nice start.
"I'm tired, Boss. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly at each other."
- John Coffey, Green Miles

Sep 12, 2017 7:10 PM

Wind Waker is all you need

Sep 12, 2017 8:04 PM

1. Ocarina of Time
2. Majora's Mask
3. Wind Waker
4. Twilight Princess
5. Breath of the Wild

My favorites are Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds aren't worth playing imo.

Sep 13, 2017 12:19 AM

I've actually only started getting into Zelda games myself, after only ever playing OOT on N64 to completion, then proceeding to buy every Zelda game over the years.... But not really play them.

In the past 2 months, I finished OOT again on 3DS, and Skyward Sword on the Wii, which I had only ever played 6 hours of back when it first released. Recently I've been playing the original NES Zelda on my ambassador 3DS.

I'd say try OOT first, since it's a classic, one of those few games where I can actually agree with those that consider it "one of the best games ever made", and I think it's a great entry point to the series.

Skyward Sword was just okay. It got a bit boring tbh, and the motion controls caused many a annoyance at times. Without giving too much away, you have to fight one boss 3 times, with just minor differences between each battle. I personally really hate recycled content in games, so this honestly got on my nerves.

Overall, I don't think it really matters what order you play them in. There's some vague timeline to the series, but overall the games are pretty standalone.

"If ever you fall, I'll be there"- Floor

"I have a dream: a dream that, one day,
chickens can cross roads without
having their motives questioned."
- Chicken rights activist

"I love Matt! 💗." - Me

Sep 13, 2017 2:00 AM

IIRC, all of them are stand-alone titles so there is no actual chronological order or continuity in the Zelda games which means that you can play them in any order you want.

Sep 16, 2017 3:17 AM

If I had to choose probably BotW (or whatever the most recent one is, not because of recency but because of its design), I wouldn't mind toying with decades old ones though, or whatever has a cool witch, I just remember rants on them and I only played a single zelda
http://tevisthompson.com/saving-zelda/

Oct 5, 2017 5:45 PM

I think BOTW is more for people who are just now starting to get into Zelda. It's a really fun game but the cooking part of the game could be complicated for people who haven't played much Zelda games.

I recommend starting off with ALTTP, SS, or MM. I just beat SS, it's not too difficult. It may be one of the weaker executed games, but it's still really cute and the graphics are lovely. Link shows a lot of emotions and expressions in this game and it's just amazing. That's a really nice Zelda game for your collection.

I played some of ALTTP and MM and they don't seem too complicated so far. OOT is kind of hard, but you could try that if you want, I guess.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.

Oct 6, 2017 9:55 AM

You should play the DS games, they are crimminaly underrated.

Oct 8, 2017 4:19 AM

Doesn't matter what order you play Zelda in. There is a timeline but that is mostly there due to the Zelda fandom trying desperately to connect all the Zelda games for years which Nintendo saw and decided to answer those fans.

I'd recommend Ocarina of time for 3D titles because it offers exactly what you should expect from a Zelda game without relying too heavily on extra gimmicks.

As for 2D titles I'd recommend A link to the past for the same reason.

Oct 8, 2017 4:27 AM

MonkeyDMike said:
IIRC, all of them are stand-alone titles so there is no actual chronological order or continuity in the Zelda games which means that you can play them in any order you want.
There are still people that don't know about the Zelda timeline? It's existed since Skyward sword came out.

Oct 8, 2017 4:56 AM

Squidster said:

For 2d/handheld games, try Minish Cap or A Link Between Worlds. Then go back and try the Oracle Games/Link's Awakening (I hate those games but I'm alone in that thinking lol). Haven't played Spirit Tracks/Phantom Hourglass for more than 15 minutes so idk what to do with those.

Zelda 1 and 2 are very archaic and difficult so I wouldn't recommend starting with those. A Link to the Past is better in that regard but I'd still say play A Link Between Worlds first if you want an easier game.

You know what is hilarious about everything you said? I had opposite land opinions.

Mostly because I hate the Zelda franchise. Hate is a strong word. I really recognize that it brought a lot of people into gaming. But for me, the original is probably the one I find most playable next to the Gameboy Color games. And I also like Link to the Past. So at least we agree there....

I have not played Zelda II so it is the only console one I haven't tried. But my husband loves it cause he grew up with it. He is also a fan of Wind Waker.

And I am like... Zelda Links Awakening, Oracle Games, Original, and Link to the Past are the best ones. Everything else was unplayable for me. And I was only able to play original Zelda and Link to the Past because they were on my new 3DS. lol. Soooo unless it is portable, I didn't like it. The Wind Waker Spin offs were games I never tried because I never played Wind Waker until I tried pretty recently.... damn I suck at that game. No idea where to go or what to do in it. lost always. Same in Ocarina of Time (as in could not even find the sword and shield at the start!) ! Strangely got way further in Majora's mask! Up to day 4 events.

Twilight Princess had a very long tutorial I thought was actually OK.... >.> #unpopular opinions. And then... I turned into a wolf and hated the game because that one chick wouldn't shut up. Also as per usual.... I got lost and couldn't figure out what to do... so I quit. lol. It was the first Zelda I tried back in the day though. My friend insisted it was "easy". Ummmm.... Easy is Crash Bandicoot sorry. Note: Many people think Crash Bandicoot is hard, which is why I mention it... >.> I just have a skill set better for platformers... not figuring out where I am supposed to go. And I think that is what I hate most about Zelda. Never knowing where I am supposed to go.

I think your gaming skills have to be really skewed to not play Zelda right though... or at least to fuck up as bad as I do. hahahaha.

The first game is the only one I almost beat. Fave art: MM and LTP, Fav to play: Oracle games. Least fave: TP
Fastest quit time?: OoT
Modified by Energetic-Nova, Oct 8, 2017 5:12 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.

Oct 8, 2017 5:03 AM
BotW, Ocarina of Time (3DS) and A Link to the Past.

Oct 8, 2017 10:05 AM

Rotton-Girl said:
Squidster said:

You know what is hilarious about everything you said? I had opposite land opinions.

Mostly because I hate the Zelda franchise. Hate is a strong word. I really recognize that it brought a lot of people into gaming. But for me, the original is probably the one I find most playable next to the Gameboy Color games. And I also like Link to the Past. So at least we agree there....

I have not played Zelda II so it is the only console one I haven't tried. But my husband loves it cause he grew up with it. He is also a fan of Wind Waker.

And I am like... Zelda Links Awakening, Oracle Games, Original, and Link to the Past are the best ones. Everything else was unplayable for me. And I was only able to play original Zelda and Link to the Past because they were on my new 3DS. lol. Soooo unless it is portable, I didn't like it. The Wind Waker Spin offs were games I never tried because I never played Wind Waker until I tried pretty recently.... damn I suck at that game. No idea where to go or what to do in it. lost always. Same in Ocarina of Time (as in could not even find the sword and shield at the start!) ! Strangely got way further in Majora's mask! Up to day 4 events.

Twilight Princess had a very long tutorial I thought was actually OK.... >.> #unpopular opinions. And then... I turned into a wolf and hated the game because that one chick wouldn't shut up. Also as per usual.... I got lost and couldn't figure out what to do... so I quit. lol. It was the first Zelda I tried back in the day though. My friend insisted it was "easy". Ummmm.... Easy is Crash Bandicoot sorry. Note: Many people think Crash Bandicoot is hard, which is why I mention it... >.> I just have a skill set better for platformers... not figuring out where I am supposed to go. And I think that is what I hate most about Zelda. Never knowing where I am supposed to go.

I think your gaming skills have to be really skewed to not play Zelda right though... or at least to fuck up as bad as I do. hahahaha.

The first game is the only one I almost beat. Fave art: MM and LTP, Fav to play: Oracle games. Least fave: TP
Fastest quit time?: OoT

I agree in that I find Zelda extremely overrated. ALTTP and WW are among my favorite games, but when people call Zelda as a whole the greatest franchise to ever grace gaming I have to raise an eyebrow. Even worse when they call Link one of the greatest video game characters even though he's there to be a blank slate. I do like the franchise, but it doesn't deserve to be on the pedestal people put it on. Oddly enough Sonic is what got me into gaming even though I'm meh on the series nowadays except for Sonic 2 and Colors (maybe Sonic 3 as well but I hate the Sonic and Knuckles levels).

Crash Bandicoot.....not the easiest games I played but it's not as brutally difficult as people make it out to be. I started gaming after the nes/snes/genesis so I still find 2d platformers among the hardest games I've played. Probably why most of my favorite early 90s games are rpgs.

Oct 8, 2017 10:22 AM

Skip all of the 3D ones. They're not that great.

Start with A Link to the Past. Then Link's Awakening. Then Oracle of Ages. Then The Minish Cap.
1 hour = 10,000 yen.
2 hours = 20,000 yen.
3 hours = 3 loaves of French bread.
4 hours = 4 loaves of French bread.

Oct 8, 2017 10:23 AM

Skyward Sword is the first chronologically, and the best one imo.
/unpopular opinion

Oct 8, 2017 11:17 AM

OoT and Master Quest is the main one i ALWAYS stick with. Its my favorite always has been and always will be.

Oct 8, 2017 2:37 PM

I am not sure it matters what order you play the games. They are kind of like the Breath of Fire series where its just reboot after reboot. Even the three Zelda games on the Philips CD-i console I think don't have anything to do with each other. I suppose with some emulators you could play them by the year they came out.

Oct 8, 2017 5:06 PM
Mou-chan

What if I told you that there's no real timeline and that the series of games are just altered retellings of a single legend (save for a few obvious sequels like the original game with Zelda 2 and Ocarina of Time with Majora's Mask), and that it really doesn't matter watch game you start with because there is no true canonical beginning to the series?

I call this the Mike Matei theory.

Oct 8, 2017 6:52 PM

Definitely A Link to the Past. Its the game that started the "real" Zelda formula. In my opinion it's more of a "masterpiece" than Ocarina of Time will ever be.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Oct 11, 2017 6:55 AM

Honestly you basically played all the best parts.

If you want a Zelda game that you'll likely finish and give most of Zelda history etc, then Skyward Sword definitely.

Breath of the Wild is really experimental and designed for a very specific kind of player.. not really for everyone IMO.

The GBA Zeldas are really simple and easy to finish but not very Zelda-y IMO, and the DS Zeldas are pretty uneven although much better than the GBA Zeldas.

WW is far and away the worst Zelda IMO, even more experimental than BOTW and I don't agree retrospectively that it was somehow missed or something.

ALTP and Ocarina are great but old, and a lot of it is kinda slow paced but simply products of the time.

Twilight Princess is very long and kind of hardcore, you might like it more than Skyward Sword but if you want to finish one...