Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 9, 2017 8:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Idk why but this episode felt like a buildup towards the finale...or at least the first half.

We got more battles again with Kane getting the spotlight. A short and chaotic battle tbh. That escalated fast. I also kinda like how mature Kunihiro became throughout this show. That cliffanger :o
Stark700Sep 9, 2017 10:22 AM
Sep 9, 2017 10:07 AM
Jan 2008
Isn't this only 13 episodes? it probably is starting to wind down.
Sep 9, 2017 10:46 AM

Jun 2015
History is changing a little. There were some quick fights. Horikawa really wants to save Hijikata, but Izuminokami won't let him. Got to see some backstory for Hijikata. That was quite the cliffhanger. I'm curious what's going to happen.
Sep 9, 2017 10:48 AM

Aug 2013
That cliffhanger. Kane and Horikawa have different views regarding their former master, Hijikata.

Sep 9, 2017 11:14 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I like the clash of two different loyalties, i do side with Izuminokami though here.

They have a job to do and they won't even be able to follow their master with doing jobs in different timelines. Izuminokami was satisfied to see his master again and that's about it, he accepted this fate. Their master also lived for his people, never for himself, therefore it wouldn't be the life he wanted if he didn't have to fight for them anymore.
Sep 9, 2017 11:47 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Smudy said:
I like the clash of two different loyalties, i do side with Izuminokami though here.

They have a job to do and they won't even be able to follow their master with doing jobs in different timelines. Izuminokami was satisfied to see his master again and that's about it, he accepted this fate. Their master also lived for his people, never for himself, therefore it wouldn't be the life he wanted if he didn't have to fight for them anymore.
Pretty much this....I agree 100%
Sep 9, 2017 12:01 PM

Feb 2015
Umm, why was Kunihiro being stupid... I get that feelings and all but still.
Sep 9, 2017 12:12 PM
Aug 2017
What. The. Actual. Fuck.
That cliffhanger is really angsty af lmaoooo

However, I guess the series will only have 1 season only because it is dealing the characters' conflict, which is the different perspective of loyalties towards Hijikata. So once they already resolve that, the series might end.

Also, I also heard somewhere that Ufotable will only produce season 2 there is enough sales from the season 1. Since K/TKRB Bluray Sales aren't that performing well, I guess we won't be able to see another subplot for the series (I really want to see the revisionists or the KBCs)
Sep 9, 2017 12:18 PM

Apr 2016
THIS IS NOT OKAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Sep 9, 2017 12:23 PM

Jul 2017
WHAT THE FUCK WAS THIS I AM IN SHOCK
THIS IS NOT OKAY
KANE-SAN WYD GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER AND HUG HORI
THIS COULD'VE BEEN RESOLVED WITH A HUG
DON'T BREAK MY BBY I S2G
I'M GONNA RAID UFOTABLE
Sep 9, 2017 12:32 PM
Dec 2015
I really understand Horikawa here. I don't know if you guys read Peacemaker, Shinsengumi are the mains there and they have this one historical scene when Hijikata cut his own friend for defecting, for having a different vale than protecting the Bakufu. It was very emotional since Hijikata was very much in pain during the whole execution. He was known as the demon vice commander for being strict in his lead and even with his comrades. never tolerating betrayals.

Then the Battle of Hakodate happened. It was a really hopeless battle for Hijikata but the enemy could not even respect the way of the warrior and they were gunned down. Remnants of Shinsengumi came with swords but against guns.... That relates to Horikawa's and Izuminokami's battle quotes in the game, "Let's go to a battle without guns or cannons." and why they don't get along with Mutsu in the game.

I completely understand Horikawa's stand in that the loyalty Hijikata practiced was the cause of his downfall, and what's Kane-san is doing right now. But at the same time, Izuminokami is also in the right in the sense that Hijikata chose the way of the warrior as his life and he remained himself until the end. Still, since he was not there at his dying moments like Horikawa, he probably did not know that Hijikata suffered with extreme regret during his final moments in Hakodate. In Drifters, Hijikata was portrayed as such.

Really really good drama between them.
Sep 9, 2017 12:35 PM
Dec 2015
Tonbo_213 said:

Also, I also heard somewhere that Ufotable will only produce season 2 there is enough sales from the season 1. Since K/TKRB Bluray Sales aren't that performing well, I guess we won't be able to see another subplot for the series (I really want to see the revisionists or the KBCs)

But they only released the limited editions so far and not regular ones. Those are expensive, that's why. I still think it will surpass Hanamaru in sales.
Sep 9, 2017 12:40 PM
Aug 2016
Loyalty06 said:
I really understand Horikawa here. I don't know if you guys read Peacemaker, Shinsengumi are the mains there and they have this one historical scene when Hijikata cut his own friend for defecting, for having a different vale than protecting the Bakufu. It was very emotional since Hijikata was very much in pain during the whole execution. He was known as the demon vice commander for being strict in his lead and even with his comrades. never tolerating betrayals.

Then the Battle of Hakodate happened. It was a really hopeless battle for Hijikata but the enemy could not even respect the way of the warrior and they were gunned down. Remnants of Shinsengumi came with swords but against guns.... That relates to Horikawa's and Izuminokami's battle quotes in the game, "Let's go to a battle without guns or cannons." and why they don't get along with Mutsu in the game.

I completely understand Horikawa's stand in that the loyalty Hijikata practiced was the cause of his downfall, and what's Kane-san is doing right now. But at the same time, Izuminokami is also in the right in the sense that Hijikata chose the way of the warrior as his life and he remained himself until the end. Still, since he was not there at his dying moments like Horikawa, he probably did not know that Hijikata suffered with extreme regret during his final moments in Hakodate. In Drifters, Hijikata was portrayed as such.

Yes i like what you are saying and agree. its the same person but the way they are different in showing their love towards their former master is done in a good way.
i understand what horikawa is feeling but i feel izuminokami too.
Sep 9, 2017 1:32 PM

Apr 2010
5/5 ...like i already said before m biased when it comes to Hijikata ...

Even though Horikawa is wrong but he isnt exactly wrong...for a katana to become human and feel human emotions... Well, when humans become emotional, they dont make logical decisions they make emotional decisions...ans after writing all this, i dont even know what i wanted to write.....
Sep 9, 2017 2:20 PM
Jan 2008
I sincerely doubt Horikawa will die by Izumi's hand....

wait, this isn't doing well overseas? Because I'm pretty sure almost all of the cast has landed in those popularity types that Newtype and other anime mags put out...
Sep 9, 2017 2:23 PM
Jan 2008
Tonbo_213 said:
What. The. Actual. Fuck.
That cliffhanger is really angsty af lmaoooo

However, I guess the series will only have 1 season only because it is dealing the characters' conflict, which is the different perspective of loyalties towards Hijikata. So once they already resolve that, the series might end.

The only way I can see this going to another season besides sales is if they get a new cast of characters.

Maybe so something angsty for Unit 1 and give them their own episode 5.

No way though Izumi takes out Hori. This the darker version of the last few eps of Hanamaru.

Now watch ufotable prove me wrong next week LOL
Sep 9, 2017 2:30 PM

Mar 2016
That cliff hanger ending tho...

I can understand both Kane and Kunihiro's perspective in this...but it wont end well for them seeing as how they've both decided to follow different paths to the end

I can't wait to see the conclusion next week!
I shall rule over the realms of anime and manga! Mwahhahahahaha!!!
Sep 9, 2017 2:32 PM
Aug 2017
Loyalty06 said:

I like how you connected different Shinsengumi series to the episode, but you forgot Gintama's Hijikata LOL
Sep 9, 2017 2:50 PM

Aug 2015
Loyalty06 said:

Estoy totalmente de acuerdo con lo que dijiste! Y muy interesante tu aporte sobre el personaje de Hijikata en Peacemaker y en Drifters.
Sep 9, 2017 3:48 PM

Oct 2011
Omg Omfg my heart is torn to pieces, 😭😭😭
Sep 9, 2017 4:41 PM
May 2017
is that a bolt-action rifle that Tetsunosuke is holding? in Japan in the 1860s?
Sep 9, 2017 5:32 PM

Jul 2016
That was pretty intense...

I don't blame Kunihiro at all. But then again, the others aren't wrong...I don't know who to side with.
Sep 9, 2017 7:39 PM

Jan 2017
Ahh! I had real tears running down my face at the end. I can't express how much I love this anime. I had tried and dropped hanamaru because it was too cutesy for me. This one hits all the right spots (for me anyway). I can't wait for next week and hope this isn't the last of this great series.
Sep 9, 2017 11:32 PM
Aug 2017
Smudy said:

MagnaMoon said:
Umm, why was Kunihiro being stupid... I get that feelings and all but still.

But there is the different between the one who got left behind and the one who actually saw Hijikata's death. Don't forget that Horikawa stayed with Hijikata longer than Izuminokami since Izuminokami was created later. The Hijikata in Drifters would be a possible outcome if he survived, full of hatred and resentment.
Sep 9, 2017 11:36 PM
Aug 2017
commander31able said:

Bolt-action rifle was produced in 1824 .
Sep 10, 2017 5:20 AM
Jul 2017
To be frank, this episode played with clashing morals inside of me. On one hand, I completely sympathise with Horikawa and understand how painful it was to have firsthand witnessed his master's death, and his desire and determination to do anything to prevent it. However, on the other more objective viewpoint I would support Kane-san in this because even if it does him satisfaction to save his master ultimately history would be completely rewritten and Horikawa might not even exist in the human body that he was granted. I understand it being Horikawa he would probably be like "even if it means I don't get this body I'm fine as long as Hijikata-san lives on" but as Mutsunokami pointed out, eventually Hijikata would probably suffer a terrible death either way by execution, imprisonment, exile (if that was a thing back there correct me if I'm wrong) or life-long humiliation. Forgive me if this sounds harsh and this is purely my own belief, but seeing as Hijikata's death was probably inevitable given his critical role in the Shinsengumi, I believe that his death in Hakodate spared him from whatever torture or humiliation that awaited him had he survived.
Sep 10, 2017 6:26 AM
Aug 2017
jyuminhannah said:
To be frank, this episode played with clashing morals inside of me. On one hand, I completely sympathise with Horikawa and understand how painful it was to have firsthand witnessed his master's death, and his desire and determination to do anything to prevent it. However, on the other more objective viewpoint I would support Kane-san in this because even if it does him satisfaction to save his master ultimately history would be completely rewritten and Horikawa might not even exist in the human body that he was granted. I understand it being Horikawa he would probably be like "even if it means I don't get this body I'm fine as long as Hijikata-san lives on" but as Mutsunokami pointed out, eventually Hijikata would probably suffer a terrible death either way by execution, imprisonment, exile (if that was a thing back there correct me if I'm wrong) or life-long humiliation. Forgive me if this sounds harsh and this is purely my own belief, but seeing as Hijikata's death was probably inevitable given his critical role in the Shinsengumi, I believe that his death in Hakodate spared him from whatever torture or humiliation that awaited him had he survived.

Saito Hajime, the captain of the third unit of Shinsengumi, survived the war and became a police officer with the permission to carry Katana and the captain of second unit, Nagakura Shinpachi lived a peaceful life with his wife until 76 so we cannot know what would happen to Hijikata if he survived Hakodate.
Sep 10, 2017 6:31 AM
Jul 2017
miyako1909 said:
jyuminhannah said:

Saito Hajime, the captain of the third unit of Shinsengumi, survived the war and became a police officer with the permission to carry Katana and the captain of second unit, Nagakura Shinpachi lived a peaceful life with his wife until 76 so we cannot know what would happen to Hijikata if he survived Hakodate.

I stand corrected. This is just my hypothesis and well it kind of follows Mutsunokami's theory too but well anything could have happened to him
Sep 10, 2017 7:07 AM

Jun 2016
THAT FUCKING CLIFFHANGER, MAAAAN! FUUUUUUCK!

I understand Horikawa since seeing your master's death is just too much and really heartbreaking, but they already have their new master and saving their previous master is unnecessary since he's been long dead. And don't forget your goals, maaan: Protect history, don't change it!

I kinda want to save Izuminokami and Horikawa's master, but kinda don't want to. Waaaaah. (Just seeing that scene with Hijikata's death and imagine Horikawa seeing THAT. Frick!)

Ugh this is hard to process, but fuck please I hope Izuminokami didn't kill Horikawa. ;-;

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Sep 10, 2017 2:36 PM
May 2017
miyako1909 said:
commander31able said:

Bolt-action rifle was produced in 1824 .

you're right for some reason I thought it was 1871. and I call myself a firearms enthusiast. shaaame.
Sep 10, 2017 5:17 PM

Nov 2013
DAMN THAT ENDING =O

i doubt he would kill him, probably will just hit the ground near him...but still wtf...
damn i was behind 3 episodes...why didnt i wait till the anime ended to watch it?... kill me now <.<
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Sep 10, 2017 9:25 PM

Nov 2016
I don't know what I should think about this clash of ideals or with which character I should side.

Well, episode was ok, hoping for a decent conclusion now.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 11, 2017 4:33 PM

Dec 2016
I have a feeling that Kane-san will stop halfway, I mean... he wouldn't hurt Horikawa, would he? Both Izuminokami Kanesada and Horikawa Kunihiro are inseparable friends and share a strong bound together from their previous master Hijikata Toushizou. It wouldn't be fair to see them apart :(

Will they be ok? I want to watch the next episode so badly >A<

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Sep 12, 2017 5:29 PM

Dec 2015
All this build up just to end in a cliffhanger, damn it.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 13, 2017 2:25 AM

Oct 2008
such emotions shown when Izuminokami is about to strike down Horikawa!
5/5.

Sep 13, 2017 3:38 PM

May 2014
Idk.. Not feeling it much.

I just feel like there is drama for the sake of drama.. There's no plot.
This is the problem of the adaption of games.. They just go round and round.

Sep 14, 2017 11:10 AM
Mar 2015
Loyalty06 said:

Exactly how I felt, you took the words right out of my mouth.
Sep 14, 2017 11:12 PM
Aug 2017
ZoroZoldyck said:
Idk.. Not feeling it much.

I just feel like there is drama for the sake of drama.. There's no plot.
This is the problem of the adaption of games.. They just go round and round.

You should read historical facts about the characters. All Japanese know the history so the show didn't need to explain that. Before the anime is out, fans already know that this will happen. What kind of plot do you want? They completely defeat the enemy's mastermind ? That is not gonna happen since this show focus on the characters' interaction, the enemy is secondary.
Sep 16, 2017 7:14 PM

Dec 2014
That ending though, I guess I'm leaning towards Izuminokami's side.
Sep 17, 2017 3:26 AM

Jul 2008
Oh Kunihiro you absolute DUMB FUCK!

So you want to save him to die by beheading or rot the rest of his life in jail then? Or change him into something else, but if you do he's no longer the Hijikata you were so loyal to?

There is no good outcome here Kunhiro. You are going to die for nothing.
Sep 17, 2017 5:45 AM
Aug 2017
WolfWood37 said:
Oh Kunihiro you absolute DUMB FUCK!

So you want to save him to die by beheading or rot the rest of his life in jail then? Or change him into something else, but if you do he's no longer the Hijikata you were so loyal to?

There is no good outcome here Kunhiro. You are going to die for nothing.
miyako1909 said:

I will quote myself and leave it here. If Saito and Nagakura can lived until 70s, Hijikata could too if he was survived. Change is not a bad thing. He could have found some new objectives in life and could help save people like how Saito became a police officer.
Personally, I feel Hijikata's pride and stubbornness were too huge that it made him blind.His particpation in Hakodate battle sure was heroic but it was not a smart move.
Himawari9Sep 17, 2017 5:51 AM
Nov 15, 2019 10:16 PM

Jan 2016
Somehow, I kind of understand the differences in the thoughts or perspectives for both of Horikawa and Kanesada. Even so, this is not really a problem to me but Kanesada really need to get a grip on himself, since he is actually full with ego, most of the times although not that much, if I could say. I don't know why but it seems that his emotions have foreshadowed his actions toward Horikawa and I was feeling quite annoyed by it.

I don't think that I felt pity or have that much of empathy toward Horikawa, either but still, I just thought that it might have been better if Kanesada tried cooperating with Horikawa from time to time, especially in trying to understand Horikawa's actions and feelings while at the same time, not letting his ego to override his actions which will be resulting into something that is a lot worse than how it was supposed to be, instead.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2017

108 by L01MK »»
Mar 22, 4:02 PM

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2017

45 by _MushiRock11_ »»
Feb 10, 4:44 AM

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2017

88 by Ryuzaki775 »»
Jul 12, 2022 11:44 AM

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2017

246 by A-Simple-Squire »»
Mar 20, 2022 2:24 PM

» Can I watch this without watching Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru first?

Kirukato05 - Sep 9, 2021

2 by Kirukato05 »»
Sep 10, 2021 12:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.