Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 9, 2017 6:04 AM

Jun 2015
So I wanted to start reading the Kakegurui manga, but since it's ongoing and I have no idea about the frequency of publishing new chapters (since I've only read completed mangas), I just want to get an insight from people who are used to reading ongoing series... Do the updates take long? Is there a high chance of the author stopping the manga or leaving it on a long hiatus are is this just few exceptions?
They all feel the same adjust to the pain..like tears in the rain..

Sep 9, 2017 6:21 AM

Apr 2017
It varies a lot from manga to manga. The best manga ever (Berserk) has long hiatuses at times. But if you don't read it at all, you're missing out.
So I would suggest reading unfinished manga if you feel like it.
Sep 9, 2017 8:00 AM

Jun 2017
Frequency of release in Japan depends on the magazine the manga is serialized in.
Hiatuses and breaks are dependent on their author, their health condition, other work, holidays, or natural disaster.
-Is there a high chance of the author stopping the manga or leaving it on a long hiatus?
-- No, but there is most a definitely a chance.
-Are the one's that are on several break and hiatuses just a few exceptions?
-- Yes. Most authors try to keep up with their release schedule.

I don't think there has been a long-running manga Author who has not taken a break at least once. People get sick but it's not much to fret about. It is usually announced the day their most recent chapter comes out and most of the time they return as soon as they can.

The frequency of releases range from weekly, bi-weekly, monthly and bi-monthly.
- But the two most common are weekly and monthly.

The frequency of the manga's scanned release in the west depends on the speed of the scanner and scanlation group that work on delivering it to us.

Kakegurui is serialized in Gangan Joker which has a monthly release schedule. Not sure if the scanlators are up to date on it since I don't read it myself.

Sep 11, 2017 3:42 PM

Mar 2015
I don't know what the scanlation scene is like for Kakegurui, but I think Yen Press is simulpublishing each new chapter. If scanlators are taking too long to release new chapters, you could always go legit.
Sep 19, 2017 5:37 AM

Mar 2009
Super long hiatuses aren't common, but even the best of them will have sudden breaks due to unforeseen life circumstances (illness, injuries, natural disasters, family problems, pregnancy, etc). If Eiichiro Oda, who rarely misses, still has at least 2 weeks on average a year without a chapter, even people who are far less workaholic are going to have one here and there. Of course when *certain* creators seem to go on hiatus all the time, then it becomes a well known joke. To be fair, we only care that those particular creators are on hiatus because we really really like those works and want them to not be on hiatus. If a garbage series was on hiatus all the time, I doubt we'd really be paying attention.

As for dealing with the long drought between chapters, particularly for monthly series, all you can really do it just read a bunch of series.
Other options could be to wait until an arc has ended and just read up to that point. You might end up waiting yard between arcs ending, but if you start to find yourself having trouble remembering what happened last, going by arcs might not be a bad idea.
Or if a series is going to end pretty soon, just wait for it to end. Though I would wait for either the creator or magazine to declare that the manga is entering final arc or is approaching the climax, rather than just assuming.
Sep 23, 2017 11:26 AM

Jun 2015
I own 3 series that are still going on with long periods of hiatus or no news about a continuation, these are Berserk, Vagabond and Real.
I started buying the last 2 when they started publishing back in the day, but in the other hand I started collecting Berserk like 2 years ago so I already knew that Miura was the hiatus master and his work may never see an end. But I heard so many great things about it and the genre and themes were attractive for me so I decided to push forward and get and read it no matter what.

It was definitely worth my money and time as Berserk became my fav series of all time.
Sep 26, 2017 5:39 AM

Mar 2017
Unfinished manga sucks, especially when it is completely stops publishing altogether.

The fans of Highschool of the Dead has been clamoring the author to continue the series, though he is too busy on another series, and it irritates a lot of people since the reasoning is so illogical.
Though i personally can forgive the authors who had to take hiatus due to health concern. Example is Kannagi, whose author had a deterioriating health.
It's time to play the Game folks!
Sep 26, 2017 6:23 AM

Jun 2012
Kakegurui comes out monthly, and I am pretty sure its all up to date for translations.

Yen Press is translating it so if you want it physically, I think the first two volumes are out. Digitally you can buy chapters and volumes right up to the latest chapter I am pretty sure.

If you don't have the money to support it though baka-updates has 3 different groups listed as scanlation goups for the sereis, so chances are the newest chapters are all done (and coming out pretty fast as they drop). Maybe not same day as publication in Japan since it has really long chapters, but it shouldn't be too bad (I read a bunch of kakegurui early this year, but I did it through bookwalker so I was paying a few dollars for the volumes)
Oct 1, 2017 2:46 AM

May 2016
i feel the exact same way. i prefer to only read completed series because i know that they're finished and that i can actually complete them. it's when you have the ongoing series that it becomes a bit cloudy. if i know that the series is quite popular then i have no worries of reading the series because i have faith that it will end. however, series like berserk, hunter x hunter, black lagoon.

Oct 15, 2017 5:27 AM

Sep 2016
There's worse, like 1/3 of a list of raw mangas you can half read at best.
Oct 15, 2017 5:40 AM

Sep 2017
I get hesitation adding manga to my list since 90% of those that I follow is not finished. I also has ocd and records only my completed manga or anime so in the end I havent added any to my list.

Hiatuses are too common nowadays in manga. To the point where im not even surprised if the mangaka im reading goes in a hiatus.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 16, 2017 2:21 PM

Apr 2013
I've waited years for new chapters of some manga, it's not all that uncommon to wait at least a couple months for new chapters to drop, and then a couple more for translations
Oct 16, 2017 11:01 PM

Aug 2014
Im reading alot of monthly manga right now and i can tell you that trying to keep up with it personally is a pain. I catch up and then when it releases a new chapter next month i completely forget whats happening in the middle of an arc.

More topics from this board

» Tell me an anime with good female cast that is used correctly

kirA_-_ - Yesterday

4 by dreamingneon »»
4 hours ago

» Ur fav manga

Aoust_Adenca - Mar 10, 2023

19 by Otakupervert890 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

26 by Kurt_Irving »»
7 hours ago

» Ao Haru Ride Rant (Had to get this off my chest) Spoilers!

XGirl86 - 12 hours ago

0 by XGirl86 »»
12 hours ago

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

148 by claricespectro »»
Yesterday, 5:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.