Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Feb 13, 2017 6:15 PM

May 2015
Too bad that MILF died. :( She was so good. ;)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jul 16, 2017 3:46 PM

Jun 2013
Meisai. What a cool, deeply flawed and tragic character. It's true that the miko eventually would have had to give up the swords anyways, and she made Togame promise to take care of them, plus she knew what she was doing... She was a murderer but she changed her ways so I really didn't want her to die. This episode did a good job at making me conflicted about Togame and Shichika's quest.

Katanagatari is more about the swords and the people who wield them. I think the battle and Meisai's defeat might be unsatisfying on purpose, though I understand why some people wouldn't. Still, I can accept the criticism regarding the plotholes in the battle and the comic relief after Meisai's death.

I want to quote some comments from the Reddit threat because they put it much better than I could have:

LeeTailorJul 16, 2017 3:58 PM
Sep 7, 2017 9:57 AM

Oct 2015
I am loving this anime and everything about it, even if its nearly 50 minutes per episode I don't feel it
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 14, 2017 11:58 PM

Oct 2012
Miko Moeeeee xD

She was a good person
Shame, truly shame that have to die :(

Maybe what Togame said is true
Cursed sword owners can't just give it like that, it must be taken forcefully
Otherwise cursed sword is not cursed at all xD
"Signature removed"
Nov 16, 2017 9:50 PM

Dec 2015
Summary of this episode:
-Spend 35 minutes building up the upcoming fight.
-*fight starts*
-But it doesn't actually start cause we get 10 more minutes of dialogue before even a punch is thrown, because why not amirite?
-*fight resumes*
-*fight ends in seconds*
WHAT A FUCKING JOKE.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 18, 2018 3:20 PM

Aug 2007
The first part of this episode was pretty average like the first two episodes but... I started to become more immersed learning about Meisai in the last 15 mins. I really hope later characters similar to her, because I can understand the appeal to this anime from the depth they put into Meisai.

May 1, 2018 3:46 AM

May 2016
Each episode just becomes better and better while it adds a completely different atmosphere and experience than the last episode. That "I will let you fall for me guy" must be a running joke but him appearing in the next episode might change that.

That mishap with her hair sure looks like a pleasant misunderstanding. I'm surprised that the shrine maidens weren't tempted to make a sassy side comment when Meisai started to think that the two ain't a couple lmao

I think that Meisai implied that the successor will be the miko that swung her sword around when Togame tried to inspect it coz she said that she wasn't fully recovered yet. Her backstory was a riveting one and the thousand-sword style was fascinating. I wished that I'd see more of it in action.

It's funny that most of the Maniwani ninja end up as chopping blocks to show the sword's power. The actual bossfights went by really quick too thanks to Shinchika's overpoweredness but the moments that build-up to that moment made up for it as usual.

May 4, 2018 8:42 AM

Nov 2016
Episodes so far were pretty good,but wow,this was something else. The feels.....

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 13, 2018 7:58 AM

Aug 2015
At this point all I could say is press f to pay respects to Maniwani fodders

Anyway I really love how interesting the "antagonist" in this series so far to a point where I wish they wouldn't need to be killed but in the case of Meisai, I guess karma really is a bitch for slaying the priest and her crew. Still felt bad for her though, she just wants to protect those crazy-ass maidens.

Looks like the next ep preview is hype, Japan's strongest samurai huh with the cheesy catchphrase is next

Cheerio!
Aug 25, 2018 6:23 AM

Dec 2016
Another great episode, and hey it ended up being fair because they left with two new swords instead of just one lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 28, 2019 11:54 PM

May 2018
I like how Meisai fights, along with how her sword works. The dialouge makes more sense in this episode, and has a good backstory. So far the only sword holder that I felt bad after seeing her die.

Dec 6, 2019 5:22 PM

Aug 2017
I thought Meisai Tsuruga was evil before the Maniwa ninja was killed by her. Its a shame that she is dead but I respect her decision. She was a tragic character.

Soooo. Shichika killed his dad?
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 10, 2020 4:14 PM
Jan 2020
Loved the way he declared himself a sword and also Togame controling herself after the fight...
Jun 12, 2020 1:15 AM
Jul 2018
Another great episode. However, i wish they can show the fight scenes more than just cutting it to the end of the fight.
Sep 9, 2020 1:36 AM

Sep 2018
Shichika didn't feel bad when he killed the girl :(

Too many dialogue again, the fighting scene is disappointing for me. Too short. Maybe it's really not the focus of this anime but I expect a cool fight though.
Sep 12, 2020 9:17 PM

Jul 2013
I personally also think that this was the best episode so far. Again a lot of dialogue, but it's interesting to hear other backgrounds like the one of Meisais. Even if she was a bad person in the past, she changed a lot and tried to help so many girls who experienced the absolute worst.

The conversation between Meisai and Shichika showed again that he doesn't questioned anything he does and that he lacks feelings or maybe doesn't understand them like a normal person. I'm sure to a certain point it's his laziness but maybe Togame can show him the reason why you sometimes should have your own mind.

What happened after Meisais and Shichikas fight was the best example. He didn't feel bad at all or showed any kind of sadness for killing Meisai. He was just looking at his bloody hand and told Togame about his win. Togame was definitely as upset as I was. I hoped this fight would have end up with Meisai still being alive :(

Seems like next episode will be a lot of fun.

Dec 1, 2020 4:25 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
Somehow I feel smarter with every episode. The dialogues are just excellent and I don't mind them at all. The art is lovely and the fights are good. They may not last long, but the fight isn't the most important part. It seems that the characters are the important thing and the long conversations just flesh them out. Good stuff!
May 22, 2021 5:56 PM

Aug 2013
The whole flashback at the end was pretty unnecessary and could probably be cut a lot shorter. A lot of it was just telling us stuff we already knew (classic Nisio Isin), but otherwise this was a superb episode.
Aug 18, 2022 1:16 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Dang, I thought Meisai would be one who would get to live after the fight, but I guess not. Shichika finished her off in one blow and shrugs it off like it was nothing. Which is kind of sad because she didn't have the most happy of pasts, and now with her looking after this shrine and the girls, her heart seemed to be in the right place. But alas she either overestimated her own abilities or underestimated Shichika, because she did not make use of the surrender option which she herself proposed.

Of course just like the Monogatari series, Katanagatari is dialogue-heavy. But for me at least, Katanagatari is far more simple and easy to follow, and has my utmost attention at all times unlike the Monogatari series which I admit did have me zoning out at times. Anyway, looks like we shall already be arriving at the peak of this series with the next episode coming up. Will they be able to keep my attention for the 8 episodes remaining after that? I just hope it doesn't fall on its face by the end which some people say it does.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» END SPOILERS - I’ve Never Witnessed Such Epic Implosion

deaf_amish_guy - Jun 6, 2020

10 by Nesquikscope »»
Mar 31, 1:16 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 8, 2010

180 by ariharan_ars »»
Feb 3, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

631 by I_LIKE_ANIME_SO »»
Jan 3, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

419 by watsym »»
Aug 13, 2023 10:05 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2010

333 by Dumb »»
Jul 30, 2023 5:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.