Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 8, 2017 3:04 PM

Mar 2013
A Kickstarter campaign launched by Right Stuf Inc.'s publishing division Nozomi Entertainment has announced that it will dub the entire Aria anime franchise, which includes the three original TV anime seasons, the OVA, and the sequel Aria The Avvenire (pictured). The campaign's initial goal was $110,000 USD, but has since raised over $486,000 USD with help of additional stretch goals. The dub will be produced by the New York based Headline Studios and will be lead by Joe Digiorgi (Boogiepop Phantom). Michelle Knotz, Veronica Taylor, Carol Jacobanis, and Lisa Ortiz will be featured in the dub, with their respective roles to be announced at a later date. The campaign will end on September 11.

The original slice of life series, penned by Kozue Amano, began its serialization in the monthly Stencil magazine in January 2001. The series later received a new serialization under Mag Garden's monthly Comic Blade label in February 2002, where it ran for 67 chapters and was collected into 12 compiled volumes. Junichi Satou adapted the manga into three TV series in Fall 2005, Spring 2006, and Winter 2008, respectively, all produced by Hal Film Maker. The series has also received an OVA adaptation and two special episodes. It later received a sequel, titled Aria the Avvenire, which premiered on September 26, 2015 and was produced by TYO Animations.

Source: Kickstarter page
VindstotSep 8, 2017 3:28 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 8, 2017 3:12 PM
Jul 2018
I'm not a big ass fan of the series but it's good that it's getting an English dub for the franchise. Let's hope it pays off though of course.
Sep 8, 2017 3:23 PM

Apr 2016
Wasshio said:
but it's good that it's getting an English dub for the franchise.

English dub for the franchise is never good.
Sep 8, 2017 3:25 PM
Jul 2018
Swagernator said:
Wasshio said:

English dub for franchise is never good.

Uh, frankly it can be a 50-50 chance here for me.

I'm open up for dubs, as long as they're solid enough (and not doing massive dips here so)

Sep 8, 2017 3:51 PM

Feb 2011
Well they had me at Veronica Taylor and Lisa Ortiz.
Sep 8, 2017 5:41 PM

Apr 2015
BRUH IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 8, 2017 5:54 PM

Jul 2016
Still haven't seen Aria. Might start with the dub since I'm not allergic to English speaking actors like a lot of anime fans.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 8, 2017 6:46 PM

Jun 2014
Swagernator said:
Wasshio said:

English dub for the franchise is never good.

Never good? Lol, it only increases exposure of the Anime to a larger amount of people. How is that not good?

And plus, Lisa Ortiz is involved. For those of you who don't know, she voiced Lina Inverse in Slayers. She's a legend here in North America.

Sep 8, 2017 9:37 PM

Jul 2010
‎‎‎‎‎
pancyanMar 14, 2023 10:37 AM
Sep 8, 2017 9:54 PM

Mar 2008
We were just talking about this, @humbledsoul5121. 🎉

Sep 8, 2017 9:55 PM
Aug 2017
Not too many people know of this show's existence, so at least this dub will attract a lot of attention. Plus Lisa Ortiz is an experienced VA who has done roles such as Shiori from Utena, Musa from Winx Club, and apparently even Cynthia from Silent Hill 4 of all things.
Sep 8, 2017 10:50 PM

Jul 2009
Happy to see the kickstarter pulled through!
Sep 8, 2017 11:39 PM

Mar 2014
GOD IS REAL. ALL HAIL KOZUE AMANO.
Sep 8, 2017 11:42 PM

Jun 2016
I'm ready for the salty dub haters lol

Anyway, this is great news. I was actually planning on watching the anime.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Sep 9, 2017 12:11 AM

Apr 2016
Seiya said:
Never good? Lol, it only increases exposure of the Anime to a larger amount of people. How is that not good?

Increased exposure of the Anime to a large amount of people is never good.

It means we eventually get more trash.
Sep 9, 2017 12:19 AM

Mar 2016
Swagernator said:
Seiya said:

Couldn't agree more. It's the most ridiculous 'argument' of normalfag-dub-lovers.
Yaboku said:

You can like dubs of course, but it doesn't change the fact that dubs sucks ass.
/thread.
Sep 9, 2017 12:19 AM
Jul 2018
Swagernator said:
Seiya said:

But Aria (the series) is actually good. What's wrong with making more exposure?
Sep 9, 2017 12:21 AM

Jun 2016
furukawa-sama said:
Swagernator said:

Couldn't agree more. It's the most ridiculous 'argument' of normalfag-dub-lovers.
Yaboku said:

You can like dubs of course, but it doesn't change the fact that dubs sucks ass.
/thread.

Yes, there are some bad dubs. But there's also plenty of good ones. I just hate it that any video with anime dub in it or any news about dubs has people talking about how ''bad the dub will be'' or how ''dubs suck''. It's annoying.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Sep 9, 2017 1:13 AM

Apr 2016
Wasshio said:

Doesn't matter if it's good, dub elitists don't care about it they care only about shounens.
Sep 9, 2017 1:32 AM

Mar 2012
One question

Does this series have a full adaptation or goes anime original...either way does it have an ending. i know its slice of life but i still wanna ask.
Sep 9, 2017 1:34 AM
Jul 2018
Swagernator said:
Wasshio said:

Doesn't matter if it's good, dub elitists don't care about it they care only about shounens.

That's kind of giving a generalization right there. I know some dub fans that likes SoL anime series honestly.
Sep 9, 2017 1:35 AM
Jul 2018
-ShadowClaw- said:
One question

Does this series have a full adaptation or goes anime original...either way does it have an ending. i know its slice of life but i still wanna ask.

I'm not too sure but I don't think its a complete adaption, but I don't think it went original either.
Sep 9, 2017 1:40 AM

Oct 2014
Wasshio said:
Swagernator said:

That's kind of giving a generalization right there. I know some dub fans that likes SoL anime series honestly.

Well ever thought of the fact that more exposure also leads to more annoying ppl joining the club?
More exposure is kinda a double edged sword.

Plus there won't be exposure if it only gets a dub, it also needs to be broadcasted and as far as I can see, there are no plans for a broadcast of it.
Sep 9, 2017 1:41 AM
Jul 2018
Bourmegar said:
Wasshio said:

Well ever thought of the fact that more exposure also leads to more annoying ppl joining the club?
More exposure is kinda a double edged sword.

Plus there won't be exposure if it only gets a dub, it also needs to be broadcasted and as far as I can see, there are no plans for a broadcast of it.

Well, in this case then yeah, can see what you mean. Sure you might bring new fans, but the new fans can be either really nice or can be annoying, or you get the jist of it. But its not always completely a negative though.
Sep 9, 2017 2:33 AM

Apr 2011
I prefer a new Aria series.

I want to see the journey of Ai-chan

Please make one!
Sep 9, 2017 4:33 AM

Mar 2012
Wasshio said:
-ShadowClaw- said:
One question

I'm not too sure but I don't think its a complete adaption, but I don't think it went original either.

does it have a sort of conclusion still? or it just keeps doing the same stuff.
Sep 9, 2017 7:10 AM

May 2007
furukawa-sama said:
Swagernator said:

Yaboku said:

/thread.

Wow this is the most elitist thing I have ever read.

"No I don't want more people liking my show"
My anime list
Sep 9, 2017 7:57 AM

Jun 2014
Swagernator said:
Wasshio said:

And what about sub elitists? You spend more time complaining about dubs than actually watching Anime.

Sep 9, 2017 7:59 AM

Apr 2016
Seiya said:
And what about sub elitists?

There is no such thing as sub elitist, it's only natural watch anime subbed.
Sep 9, 2017 8:02 AM

Jun 2014
Swagernator said:
Seiya said:
And what about sub elitists?

There is no such thing as sub elitist, it's only natural watch anime subbed.

No, it's not.

You're a kid born in 1994. The only reason you don't like dubs, is because you didn't grow up watching them for as long.

Sep 9, 2017 8:02 AM
Jan 2014
-ShadowClaw- said:
Wasshio said:

does it have a sort of conclusion still? or it just keeps doing the same stuff.

It definitely builds up to a satisfying conclusion in the end.
Sep 9, 2017 9:14 AM

Dec 2012
I won't watch it, but I hope this helps spread the wonderful miracle that Aria has worked in my own life.
Sep 9, 2017 9:17 AM
Apr 2010
Ramen said:
We were just talking about this, @humbledsoul5121. 🎉

We were, and I'm so glad to see that it has so much support! ^_^
Sep 9, 2017 9:47 AM

Apr 2015
I'm giving my $50 for this. Won't lose anything since I'll get shirts.
Sep 9, 2017 1:41 PM

Sep 2015
You said:
I'm giving my $50 for this. Won't lose anything since I'll get shirts.

You sure you don't want to get the guidebook?

It's exclusive to the Kickstarter. :p
Sep 9, 2017 2:01 PM

Jan 2010
I pledged enough to get all seasons + the recently released OVAs. Really glad Aria managed to get as much attention as it did, as it's truly one of the best slice-of-life anime I've seen.
Sep 9, 2017 2:15 PM

Dec 2014
For people whining about the fact that dubs exist, the Kickstarter's other major goal was to upscale the anime into HD. Considering how awful the Japanese upscale was, I'm welcoming a new one. Pledged enough to get the new discs and I'm excited to rewatch Aria.

As for dubs, I don't tend to watch them but if that's how people enjoy anime then I don't really see the problem. Anime is entertainment after all. Someone watching an anime dubbed, or a dub even existing, doesn't really harm you. If this gets more people to watch Aria, which is downright incredible, I'm game.
게임을 하면 이겨야지.
Sep 9, 2017 3:01 PM
Aug 2017
furukawa-sama said:
Swagernator said:

So you're saying you don't like you're anime to be popular? You sound like freaking hipster's

Like it or not the anime industry lives on exposure, if anime isn't popular and doesn't sell it doesn't get released, the studios that make the shows you like need to keep the lights on somehow.

There are series that don't get a second season because they haven't been popular, because they didn't get enough exposure. There are studios that came close to collapse due to the series they made doing really badly

Like it or not the international market is opening up new possibilities for the Japanese anime industry, exposure here is pumping money back into the industry. A show like Flip Flappers doesn't just have to rely on it's absolutely terrible domestic blu-ray sales anymore, instead Crunchyroll and licensing to international distributors are allowing Studio 3H to keep the lights on and keep making original shows rather than being forced to close their doors.

But if you just want shounen shows and SAO, then yeah, exposure is bad.
Sep 9, 2017 3:23 PM

Apr 2016
mrfried said:
But if you just want shounen shows

Shounens are what exposure will bring into anime industry, and more shounens = end of creativity and comming of brainless shows.
Sep 9, 2017 3:50 PM

Jan 2017
Swagernator said:
Seiya said:

no, it means studious and animators will make more money and we will get more well thought out original stuff and adaptations that will never happen right without big budgets and international support(berserk,20th century boys, vinland saga ect)
Sep 9, 2017 3:52 PM

Jan 2017
Danielle said:
For people whining about the fact that dubs exist, the Kickstarter's other major goal was to upscale the anime into HD. Considering how awful the Japanese upscale was, I'm welcoming a new one. Pledged enough to get the new discs and I'm excited to rewatch Aria.

As for dubs, I don't tend to watch them but if that's how people enjoy anime then I don't really see the problem. Anime is entertainment after all. Someone watching an anime dubbed, or a dub even existing, doesn't really harm you. If this gets more people to watch Aria, which is downright incredible, I'm game.

you're a man of culture my friend. we need more people like you on MAL.
Sep 9, 2017 4:11 PM
Aug 2017
Swagernator said:
mrfried said:
But if you just want shounen shows

Shounens are what exposure will bring into anime industry, and more shounens = end of creativity and comming of brainless shows.

And what a fantastic Shounen Aria the Animation is.

Your logic knows no bounds, sorry, no beginnings.

Right now there are mostly just Shounen dubs, these get the most exposure, but dubbing a series like Aria and gives shows like that more exposure, more distributors will be buying up the rights and the studios will be able to make more shows like them. And as I said before, sales from the international market are bringing in extra money to studios like Studio 3H that did Flip Flappers, a series that bombed in Japan

But in your mind that translates to more shounen being made? You're a special one.
Sep 9, 2017 7:46 PM

Apr 2014
Very nice, I was looking for a reason to watch Aria again. :)
Sep 9, 2017 7:53 PM
Jan 2009
Danielle said:

This is how the dub vs. sub should be. Of course, not tending to watch a dub is different than almost never watching a dub.
Sep 9, 2017 8:36 PM
Jun 2011
Im loving the idea of a kickstarter Dub for all of Aria! But I think I will just have to wait for the mainstream release. I refuse to blind buy products when you cant even see what your buying, No pictures of artwork, box size, case type, info, etc. My biggest grip though is Nozomi has chosen the route of appeasing the crazey collectors market like Bandai, Aniplex, Ponycan, Sentai. and flipping the bird to the general anime collectors. I just cant support kick starters like that and probably any of their future projects unless its something I really love, which is rare in its self! The tiers with the artbox cost way to much money and want me to purchase everything else I don’t want to get the one thing I do want, The Art box. I say let the collectors fund all the kick starters and all future ones and I will just pick up the barbones and make my Own Artboxes, tons of High res Artwork everywhere online. And they wonder why so many people went to streaming and illegal sites!
Sep 9, 2017 9:41 PM

Dec 2014
Kadmos said:
Danielle said:

This is how the dub vs. sub should be. Of course, not tending to watch a dub is different than almost never watching a dub.

If you want me to be more exact I can; I do not watch dubs at all. The only exceptions are that it's a nostalgia-fueled rewatch of the censored dubs that aired on television when I was younger, or I am watching an anime with someone who isn't willing to put up with subtitles. Dubs don't really appeal to me but my opinion of them remains the same as what I said above.
게임을 하면 이겨야지.
Sep 9, 2017 10:44 PM
Jan 2009
KibaFan, the $50 tier for the 1st season on BD is quite reasonably priced. Danielle, even if they are merely censored dubs, your argument carries more weight than someone who may have never seen a full (at least 12 episodes) dub.
Sep 10, 2017 1:00 AM

Apr 2016
mrfried said:
but dubbing a series like Aria and gives shows like that more exposure, more distributors will be buying up the rights and the studios will be able to make more shows like them.

Thats bulshit and you know it so stop with that, there will be no great sales of that shows when it get dub, so studio hardly make any differences from money they get from that. Masses don't watch shows like Aria in the first place, so they wont watch it/buy it if it get dub.
Sep 10, 2017 1:21 AM
Aug 2017
KibaFan, I understand your concerns, however the blu-rays themselves are priced at around the average,

It's only if you want the kickstarter exclusive box that you pay more, but those were set on higher tiers with T-shirts, mugs and other things as a draw to get people on those tiers. It's kind of hard to be mad at that as this is what got the project funded early on. If you're not into the collector mindset, just get the regular blu-rays.

As for the box sizes, these have been stated as G2 size, so that's the regular blu-ray size case.
Can't help you with the artwork, other than the kickstarter does have reversible covers, something the regular release won't have, so right now you'll have two art options rather than just one later on.
Sep 10, 2017 10:21 AM

Sep 2013
Even though I won't watch it dubbed, seeing my favourite anime series of all time getting such a treatment is more than fulfilling, especially considering how increasingly more recent anime, almost regardless of quality, get dubs immediately.

Aria actually has an Italian dub already, for anyone who wants to experience Neo Venezia in such a mood~
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
7 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Today

4 by Memore »»
9 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 10 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
10 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 12 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
11 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.