Forum Settings
Forums

do you think more anime should try the time travel theme

New
Sep 8, 2017 12:36 AM

Jun 2016
time travel in anime could be a really good thing if executed properly. Do you agree?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 8, 2017 12:42 AM

Mar 2015
don't we already have like a lot of it tho?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 8, 2017 12:44 AM

Apr 2014
no, time traveling at will is a cool concept but a very easy plot theme to fuck up. steins gate is the only show ive seen that has done it right and its obvious a lot of thought went into steins gate. its different when its something like re:zero where you have to die or something to go back to a certain time. but doing so at will is a very difficult story element to pull off.
Sep 8, 2017 12:44 AM
Jul 2017
If something is well-executed it's already watchable and decent no matter what it about
But time travel subject, IMO it's subject where really hard to come up with something new. And originality matters
Sep 8, 2017 12:47 AM

Aug 2017
It's enough. I mean, I don't want the industry try hard to do a certain concept / plot.

They will come up when the time is right.
"I'm tired, Boss. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly at each other."
- John Coffey, Green Miles
Sep 8, 2017 12:53 AM

Nov 2016
Last year it was already pretty much on it's peak.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 8, 2017 12:59 AM

Jun 2016
FMmatron said:
really? the only good ones i saw were re zero and erased
Sep 8, 2017 1:04 AM
Jun 2017
I don't think so.
Any Genre is good if you executed it well, but some genre is harder to do than others.
Time travel is one of them (personally, harem is also one of them)
in recent seasons, we have Erased, Re:zero, and Orange. While i didn't see Orange yet, Erased, as a time travel seri, is very bad. Re:zero is barely qualify
there're only a couple good time travel anime out there, and for good reason, it's hard to make
Sep 8, 2017 1:05 AM
serendipity

Oct 2015
all the time travel anime's lately have been tragic

✁✃✁✃✁✃✁✃✁
i'll be a
bad girl who's
always good to her
boy
✁✃✁✃✁✃✁✃✁
Sep 8, 2017 1:08 AM

Jun 2016
Long_Ng said:
I don't think so.
Any Genre is good if you executed it well, but some genre is harder to do than others.
Time travel is one of them (personally, harem is also one of them)
in recent seasons, we have Erased, Re:zero, and Orange. While i didn't see Orange yet, Erased, as a time travel seri, is very bad. Re:zero is barely qualify
there're only a couple good time travel anime out there, and for good reason, it's hard to make
i think erased was pretty good.. :) imo
Sep 8, 2017 1:15 AM

Apr 2016
Time travel in anime is never a good idea, same as isekai and imouto.
Sep 8, 2017 1:19 AM

Sep 2016
why bother when you can watch time bokan, yatterman and mach go go go
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Sep 8, 2017 1:52 AM

Nov 2016
kingdomheartsx3 said:
FMmatron said:

Other anime which also deal with the topic time and technically count for me too are.

Orange
ReLife
Kimi no Na wa

I think that's a lot, especially compared to other years, so yeah, it was at it's high.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 8, 2017 2:00 AM
Oct 2008
At least it is usually effective distraction. Thinking too hard about causality wont help to realize what is actually going on. Usually it is used just as plot device to make the story less hypothetical. P
For me, I prefer it not to be used too often. I am OK with it when it is there to make the story suitable in shorter time span.
5618NINgenSep 8, 2017 3:18 AM
Sep 8, 2017 2:19 AM
Aug 2016
No, it doesn't, because shit like ERASED are being born from questions like that.
Sep 8, 2017 2:30 AM

Oct 2014
Well time travel is like Pandora's box. It is very easy to screw it up so better stay away from it.

FMmatron said:
kingdomheartsx3 said:

Other anime which also deal with the topic time and technically count for me too are.

Orange
ReLife
Kimi no Na wa

I think that's a lot, especially compared to other years, so yeah, it was at it's high.

But Relife is not about time travel but more about becoming young again.

Swagernator said:
Time travel in anime is never a good idea, same as isekai and imouto.

But Isekai can be good, it's just screwed over by many bad writers!
Sep 8, 2017 2:35 AM

Nov 2016
Bourmegar said:
Well time travel is like Pandora's box. It is very easy to screw it up so better stay away from it.

FMmatron said:

Orange
ReLife
Kimi no Na wa

But Relife is not about time travel but more about becoming young again.

In a sense the time was rewinded for that person, so I count it to that category too and going to school again could also be interpreted as a metaphorical approach of the time travel aspect. At least that's how I see it.
FMmatronSep 8, 2017 2:44 AM

Sep 8, 2017 3:01 AM
Nov 2016
Back in the day it was a cool concept.
Nowadays we've seen it way too many times, just like the "protagonist who travels to another world"-anime (SOA, Re:Zero, Konosuba). Which I dont like at all, Konosuba is kinda funny. But for the comedy i'd rather watch shows like Nichijou.

Kimi no Na Wa was an amazing example of how to give "time travel/swap" theme new life. But these concepts mostly only work for 1 or 2 series/movies before it gets old.

Personally i'd like too see more series like The Ancient Magus Bride.
But also mecha series (I know it's not very populair in the west) but still a few series that are in alot of people's top 10, are mecha shows. Like Gurren Lagann, Code Geass and Neon Genesis Evangelion.

My guess is there will be some shows like Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, in upcoming seasons. Which I dont mind, because there concepts that sound like shit on paper. Sometimes turn out to be amazing.
Sep 8, 2017 3:05 AM

Mar 2016
There are more then enough time travel anime.
KnotImpSep 8, 2017 5:30 AM
Sep 8, 2017 3:10 AM

Jan 2017
pretty sure there are many anime with time travel lol
Sep 8, 2017 3:14 AM

Apr 2016
Bourmegar said:
it's just screwed over by many bad writers!

Bad writer is mandatory for isekai light novels.
Sep 8, 2017 3:14 AM

Jul 2014
No not really. Not unless they have some great new interesting idea, if they don't then they should just stay away from that "genre" of anime. We have already got a lot of time travel anime.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Sep 8, 2017 4:44 AM

Oct 2014
Swagernator said:
Bourmegar said:
it's just screwed over by many bad writers!

Bad writer is mandatory for isekai light novels.

Nono it's:
Bad writer is mandatory for all kinds of light novels.
Sep 8, 2017 4:49 AM

Mar 2012
I just want anime to adapt Rokujouma arc Blue Knight and Silver Princess. That's how you do time travel.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Sep 8, 2017 4:56 AM

May 2016
Stiens;gate, the girl who kept through time, future diary, Orange, Erased,Kimi no na wa, Re:Zero and a bunch that i don't even know about but either way don't think there's a need to make more.
WarchiSep 8, 2017 5:04 AM
Sep 8, 2017 4:56 AM

Feb 2012
No more granpa paradoxes or doom-loops please. Neutral on time-exploration, but would prefer future over past.
Sep 8, 2017 5:08 AM

Nov 2016
Sure why not.

"if executed properly"

Unlikely but yes.
Sep 8, 2017 5:12 AM

Aug 2017
I don't agree. Like some people have said, it will be a hard to make plot. Also imo too convenient. It would need a weakness.
Sep 8, 2017 5:46 AM
Jul 2017
Time traveling can just ruin a good anime . The only place where I saw time travel and it didn't ruin it self is steins;gate . Even in hollywood movies like X-Men we can see how a perfectly good story became completely got ruined . So don't propose time travel in anime . Also,The concept of time travel has become a bit old now But if the writer can show something new Ithink it's fine then , although it would take increadible talent to do something new nowadays.
The signature was removed as it was too awesome for mortals to live through.It has already destroyed 35 super computers . We have to make sure it is not used for serial killings and mass-murders.Please don't use words that can kill the mortals by it's awesomeness.
Sep 8, 2017 6:13 AM

Sep 2017
No please. No. I wouldnt want this to be a sub genre like issekai.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Sep 8, 2017 6:16 AM

Aug 2015
Yes,i absolutely loves Animes which have time travel theme mainly because i get to see how those said characters looks in their past or future or how was/is their personality at that particular time
Sep 8, 2017 6:20 AM

Apr 2017
>Executed
>Time Travel

Pfft Classic sitcom ya got there Bruh..

These PRETENTIOUS Groundhog loop settings are just bunch of petty stereotype that depicts absurd mental AUTISTIC issues
-HippySnob-Sep 8, 2017 6:30 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Sep 8, 2017 6:22 AM

Jan 2008
It was popular a few years back, probably because of influence from shows like Steins;Gate and Suffering Magical Girls but the overuse of it has made it become less appealing and became a bit stagnant. Definitely doesn't give off the same impact like it does anymore, that or a lot of shows these days just execute it poorly.

Though I always enjoy seeing the main characters of a different timeline/age/era, like characters meeting their older selves or friends.
Sep 8, 2017 7:28 AM

Aug 2014
Come out of your shell and watch steins gate
Sep 8, 2017 7:31 AM

Feb 2010
I love me some kind of time travel, time looping, time resetting. So I'm all for it. Even garbage tends to be enjoyable for me if it has time travel :>.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 8, 2017 7:33 AM

Jul 2014
There isn't a need. S;G is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that actually did it right. At least, sort of...
"Man always thinks about the past before he dies, as if he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived." -Jet Black (Cowboy Bebop)
Sep 8, 2017 7:37 AM

Jul 2013
I'll take your point as "should time travel be on the same level of popularity as, say, shounen, harem, or isekai."

"if executed properly"
^ This is the key word. Time travel is very easy to fuck up, and when you did fuck it up, everything falls apart.
Considering the quality most "bandwagon anime" have right now, I don't see this being a good thing.
Sep 8, 2017 7:44 AM

May 2015
Everything is a good thing if it executed properly but there's no time travel executed properly.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 8, 2017 8:18 AM
Jul 2018
It is not bad in theory but it is very easy to screw it up. It is better if for example they go into the future and then never come back, this at least makes most of the paradoxes easier to avoid. But to answer the question, no, I don't think we need more.

But personally, I dunno, the concept in it of itself is not too interesting to me personally, at least most of the time.
Sep 8, 2017 8:19 AM
Jan 2017
Hell No!

Time Travel is the ultimate deus ex machina. It takes tension, consequence, and logic out of a story and I absolutely hate it. :(
Sep 8, 2017 8:24 AM

Aug 2013
No it is overused already in anime.

Sep 8, 2017 8:27 AM

Dec 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
No it is overused already in anime.

Then, what isn't overused in anime?

Basically every topic just got severel anime - some are good, some are pretty shit. Last years was time travel, now it's isekai.
Sep 8, 2017 8:32 AM

Jul 2009
Time travel is my favorite plot element ever in any kind of medium. Can't get enough of it. But I agree that it's hard to execute it well.
Sep 8, 2017 8:38 AM

Aug 2013
Endlosschleife said:
MILFs, steampunk, cyberpunk, underwater settings, non mecha military , adult female main protagonists etc.
Sep 8, 2017 8:40 AM

Dec 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
Endlosschleife said:
MILFs, steampunk, cyberpunk, underwater settings, non mecha military , adult female main protagonists etc.

Steampunk and cyberpunk got used a lot before 00's.
And non-mecha military wo'nt sell good in japan, so this has to be cut out.
Sep 8, 2017 8:44 AM

Aug 2013
Endlosschleife said:

Steampunk and cyberpunk got used a lot before 00's.
Not for Steampunk. Steamboy , Last Exile are the only pure steampunk anime I know.
Sep 8, 2017 9:04 AM

Jul 2015
I don't mind it, but... I would prefer it focused more on sci-fi part, not the drama or some bullshit additions without explaining why the time travel works. *cough* Erased *cough*.
Sep 8, 2017 9:23 AM
Jan 2017
Steins;Gate and Re:Zero did a decent job with it, Erased did it terribly. Haven't seen any other anime based around time travel.
Sep 8, 2017 9:31 AM

Jul 2016
Depends on the anime, if its plausible to add time travel concept its okay. But to tell if its going to be bad or good, depends on its execution, established rules of time travel so we'll see its limitation, then the range of how many times the time traveller will experienced time travels or loops, especially if the loops were a suffering one.
Sep 8, 2017 9:34 AM

Feb 2015
Oh yeah sure that would be grea-.... Wait a minute... (≖︿≖✿)

ERASED
Steins gate
The girl who leapt through time
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Charolette
Re:Zero
Mirai Nikki
Occult Academy
Buddy Complex
Nobunaga Concerto
Oda Nobuna no Yabou
Zipang
ata naru Sekai: World's/Start/Load/End (World's End)
Thermae Romae
Doraemon
In Search of the Lost Future
Noein: To Your Other Self
Dragon ball Z

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

109 by DigiCat »»
4 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

46 by EastIndiaCompany »»
5 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 57 minutes ago

8 by NonAtmospheric »»
6 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

19 by MasterTasuke »»
13 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

65 by LostSpectre »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.