Forum Settings
Forums
your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 4, 2017 12:56 AM
Aug 2017
It's got huge plot holes left and right. What's so good about it?

1. The largest plot hole by far was the idea that they wouldn't know that they were experiencing different times. Even three years is enough for technology, politics, and current events to change drastically, but more importantly, they're in school. Did everyone conveniently forget that you're required to put the date on every single paper you turn in? You'd think someone would notice that stuff they're invested in didn't exist or was already obsolete, and that the date was off (and by the way, in Japan the date is written on the blackboard, so "different culture" is no excuse). Utterly idiotic.

2. "Everything" to do with the other person conveniently vanishes when they show someone else. Why? If it's real, why did it disappear? But more importantly, why was it only the diaries? Their interactions with other people didn't go away. This is evidenced most clearly by the guy's "senpai" at work. What's up with that, huh?

3. People doubt the original evacuation announcement. You'd think that everyone would already start moving as soon as they heard there was a massive emergency, yeah? But even before it was interrupted, everyone was just, "Oh, we might die if we don't get moving. Better stand around." But then, even though nothing changed (talking to the mayor was unsuccessful, remember? She got kicked out, remember?), everyone evacuated just when things were getting desperate. And they all traveled several miles in 30 seconds. Huh.

And don't get me started on the characters' "growth" throughout the movie. Namely, there was none. At all. Aside from them "falling in love" and then forgetting within a few seconds, there was no change to their personality. And yet no-one noticed the huge, massive disparities between how they acted "normally" and how they acted when the other person was in control? Even though that stuff wasn't forgotten?

I dunno, it just feels like people read the "critics'" views on it (I'm not convinced the majority weren't bribed), saw that the director was famous (for similarly bad movies), and figured, "hey, it must be great! Let's ignore reality for a bit, stop thinking, and just get overly emotional at all the cheesy melodrama!"

Just pisses me off that garbage like this is rated so highly.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 4, 2017 1:02 AM

Apr 2016
You are late like "some time" for salt threads about Kimi no na wa.

AssortedEmotions said:
Just pisses me off that garbage like FMAB is rated so highly.

Fixed that for ya.
Sep 4, 2017 1:02 AM

Aug 2008
Someone already address the plot hole for the first one.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1596378#msg49850663

-EDIT-

Rotten Tomatoes give it a high score.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/your_name_2017/
ZapredonSep 4, 2017 1:46 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Sep 4, 2017 1:26 AM
Aug 2017
Dude some people liked it and others didn't. That's all there is to it. I'd give it a 7/10 or 8/10 at most, I preferred 'A Silent Voice'.

I'm not saying that it's wrong for people to like it. But critics are supposed to be critical and use their critical thinking skills to criticize what they're paid to critique. Is it wrong to be frustrated that these people failed to do their jobs and instead blindly praised garbage? Is it wrong to want people to express enough intelligence to apply some measure of critical thinking to what they watch, even if it's "critically acclaimed"? Even if it's a "turn your mind off" kind of entertainment, there are limits.
Sep 4, 2017 1:28 AM

Jun 2008
Never seen it....not interested in seeing it....

Looks boring and uninteresting.
Sep 4, 2017 1:34 AM

Feb 2016
All I know is that it is way worse than Byousoku 5 Centimeter and Kotonoha no Niwa but yet it has higher scores.
Sep 4, 2017 1:46 AM

Oct 2010
AssortedEmotions said:
Dude some people liked it and others didn't. That's all there is to it. I'd give it a 7/10 or 8/10 at most, I preferred 'A Silent Voice'.

I'm not saying that it's wrong for people to like it. But critics are supposed to be critical and use their critical thinking skills to criticize what they're paid to critique. Is it wrong to be frustrated that these people failed to do their jobs and instead blindly praised garbage? Is it wrong to want people to express enough intelligence to apply some measure of critical thinking to what they watch, even if it's "critically acclaimed"? Even if it's a "turn your mind off" kind of entertainment, there are limits.

Do you really think that critics put that much care on petty inconsistencies of the narration that are more of a matter of suspension of disbelief than anything else? I can see how reasonable your points are but the experience of Your name is much larger than that, and given that they agree that doesn't mean they agree with you about their relevance.
Sep 4, 2017 1:51 AM

Mar 2017
It's frankly down to a whole lot of factors, ranging from accessibility to mass appeal, above average visuals, godly music, and the general bias that animated stories are for children and then out comes one of the "few" that adults can enjoy (probably hence the non-anime specific critics you seem to have problems with tending to overrate it). We may never know. And I prefer not to stress about it. Kimi no Na Wa serves as a good gateway anime and I'm fine with it's place on MAL, as much as I disagree with it.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Sep 4, 2017 1:53 AM
Aug 2017
jal90 said:
AssortedEmotions said:

Do you really think that critics put that much care on petty inconsistencies of the narration that are more of a matter of suspension of disbelief than anything else? I can see how reasonable your points are but the experience of Your name is much larger than that, and given that they agree that doesn't mean they agree with you about their relevance.

What is this larger experience, then? Emotional appeal through cliche melodrama? The sort of stuff we've seen many times before, in simpler formats without such gaping plot holes? Suspension of disbelief requires some measure of believability in the first place. Is it being "complicated" supposed to excuse the fact that its "complicatedness" is only attained through those plot holes? If not for those, it would follow the same cookie-cutter formula as many poorly rated anime.
Sep 4, 2017 1:55 AM

May 2015
Because plot holes are overrated, they really don't mean much if you like the show. And that's what happened with Kimi no Na wa, a lot of people liked it because of the feels, like many anime that are in the top ranks like Steins;Gate and even FMA:B to a degree.

Then again if your idea of critic is just people analyzing the plot then I find your view rather limited. There's no critic worth taking seriously that would call Kimi no Na wa garbage, but I also have no idea of which critics you are talking about.

ahoyanen said:
All I know is that it is way worse than Byousoku 5 Centimeter and Kotonoha no Niwa but yet it has higher scores.
Yeah, I agree. I believe a lot of the difference is in the amount of hype the different shows had since Makoto Shinkai wasn't as well known back then. Moreover there's also the fact that in Kimi no Na wa the couple actually ends up together which is a big + for many people, unlike 5 cm which might have left many people disappointed by the bittersweet ending.
zalSep 4, 2017 4:37 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2017 2:03 AM
Jul 2018
Another day, another, "Why is Kimi no Na wa so popular, muh favorite anime deserves its spot." Look, it's a good movie, and the fact that all critical reviews towards it are positive, helps its case. I'm sure you can find explanations for the so called plot holes that you mentioned over at r/anime.
removed-userSep 4, 2017 2:15 AM
Sep 4, 2017 2:05 AM

Oct 2010
AssortedEmotions said:
jal90 said:

What is this larger experience, then? Emotional appeal through cliche melodrama? The sort of stuff we've seen many times before, in simpler formats without such gaping plot holes? Suspension of disbelief requires some measure of believability in the first place. Is it being "complicated" supposed to excuse the fact that its "complicity" is only attained through those plot holes? If not for those, it would follow the same cookie-cutter formula as many poorly rated anime.

Your first and third examples are not even plotholes. They are inconsistencies that can very well be ignored because we are in a fictional story and we can assume that things work in a different way, that is convenient for the emotional discourse of the movie. A plothole is something that affects the internal coherence of the story, not something that is decided by applying external coherence and comparing fiction with how it should be if it happened in reality. Is it less of a failure? Probably not. But if you don't understand that people don't observe fiction through the exact same precise way you do no wonder you get frustrated by critics. The second plothole, by the way, doesn't even qualify as an inconsistency. I don't remember any written rule about that matter in the movie.

Emotional appeal through cliche melodrama? Yes and through aesthetics which is a very relevant part of any Makoto Shinkai film you are leaving behind here. The mere idea of observing his work as something purely narrative or character driven is something I'll stand against all the time.
Sep 4, 2017 3:06 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
because its a "the feels" anime... and those always are rated higher
Sep 4, 2017 3:39 AM

Oct 2013
My guess would be because it was visually impressive but also has a time travel related theme to its plot which everyone at the time loved
Re Zero, Erased and Charlotte
then there is also the fact older time travel related works from the past are also popular
Sep 4, 2017 3:41 AM

Jul 2015
--ALEX-- said:
Never seen it....not interested in seeing it....

Looks boring and uninteresting.

you will not regret this decision

people are just crazy about time travel anime
there is not even a single creative thing about this movie
Sep 4, 2017 3:43 AM

Oct 2016
Maybe because of its outstanding animation, intriguing but easy-to-follow storyline and.. it's a romance genre.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Sep 4, 2017 3:44 AM

Aug 2013
What's the point of this? ALL POPULAR SHOWS OR MOVIES ARE OVERRATED AND GARBAGE anyway.
Sep 4, 2017 3:46 AM

Apr 2017
And why do you think SAO is very popular ? Because both are trash and any trash show will receive so much love from the edgy people

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Sep 4, 2017 3:49 AM

Aug 2014
I still prefer Koe No Katachi though after reading the source material i finally found it the adaptation is kinda rushed.

Your Name? i am not sure whats so special about it though..
Drama,Romance,Supernatural,Tragedy. Thats it.
Sep 4, 2017 4:19 AM

Jan 2010
Well, for once, it has unique story.

Anything involving time bending/time travel is always interesting.

I prefer Koe no Katachi simply because I can relate more to the characters.

Kimi no Na Wa is good because it has unique story and plot twist. It's new and original in a way. If you're a casual and just want to watch something interesting with great visuals, Kimi no na wa fits the bill.
Sep 4, 2017 4:24 AM

Jan 2016
Cause Kimi no Na Wa is so fuckin Overrated at MAL.

And popular cause its #1 at MAL. (Now #2 btw). People like to try top anime.

And stop comparing Kimi no Na Wa and Koe no Katachi. Of course Koe no Katachi is better than Kimi no Na Wa.
Detective1412Sep 4, 2017 4:31 AM
Sep 4, 2017 4:27 AM

Mar 2015
Guranto-kun said:
What's the point of this? ALL POPULAR SHOWS OR MOVIES ARE OVERRATED AND GARBAGE anyway.

ahh... uhh... are you sure about that?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 4, 2017 4:53 AM

Aug 2013
Kuma said:
Guranto-kun said:

You can check all popular shows and you'll see tons of "overrated" and "garbage".
Sep 4, 2017 4:58 AM
Jul 2018
am I the only one who has a massive pet peeve when people use the English title for certain series/movies? Like goddammit it's "kimi no wa" says my weeb ass

anyway koe no katachi was better
Sep 4, 2017 4:59 AM

Mar 2015
Guranto-kun said:
Kuma said:

You can check all popular shows and you'll see tons of "overrated" and "garbage".

you mean series like
>FMA:b
>Steins;Gate
>Fate/Zero
>RE:Zero
>Shingeki no Kyojin
>Boku dake ga Inai Machi
>Prison School
>One Punch Man
>Psycho-Pass
>Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.
>Death Note
>Berserk
>Akame ga Kill!
>D.Gray-man
>Tokyo Ghoul
shows like this? yeah, agreed TBH...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 4, 2017 5:35 AM

Apr 2014
Because the movie was really enjoyable and made you feel warm inside.
Sep 4, 2017 5:49 AM
Jul 2018
Can't wait few years for people to still beat that dead horse.

OT: oh boo hoo, people rate things differently, come here, I will pat you on the head, come on, it's alright, no need to cry.
Sep 4, 2017 5:49 AM

Jan 2014
It was something new. Tbh, I preferred The Shape of Voice.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Sep 4, 2017 5:54 AM

Apr 2016
S-quare22 said:
and any trash show will receive so much love from the edgy people

Thats bullshit, just look at the FMAB, MHA, Code Geass, Death Note, SnK, Gintama, Steins Gate all of them are edgy shows and all overrated by edgy people.
Sep 4, 2017 5:59 AM

Apr 2017
Swagernator said:
S-quare22 said:

Thats bullshit, just look at the FMAB, MHA, Code Geass, Death Note, SnK, Gintama, Steins Gate all of them are edgy shows and all overrated by edgy people.

Oh Boi.. all the anime that you have mentioned are my favorite anime ;-;

But at least they are a bit better than SAO and your name

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Sep 4, 2017 6:01 AM

Jun 2016
Honestly this makes enough sense to me. Think about it:

-Teen romance
-Male and female leads given pretty much equal attention
-Enough action to hook young males
-Enough emotional drama to hook young females
-Plenty of teen-grade comedic breaks revolving around sexuality and gender dissonance
-Supernatural plot elements make it stand out in their minds from similar stories
-Now they can still like cartoons without worrying that adults will think they are children for doing so (fun fact for any teens: some people don't grow up too well and it doesn't have to do with liking or disliking cartoons.)

On the matter of critics (assuming they weren't payed off of course) most people who are smart enough to reach the level of critical thinking you seem to expect (that is enough to override emotional manipulation more often than not) end up with a better job than writing reviews and hoping enough people care for them to make end's meat. To some degree they're more inclined to follow the crowd because disagreeing too much risks them losing their audience to other reviewers who say what the audience wants to hear, thus risking their job.

Zapredon said:
Someone already address the plot hole for the first one.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1596378#msg49850663

I honestly fail to see how this post successfully addresses any plot holes.

AllTsunNoDere said:
1) At no point did either of them see/hear the date and realize they were living 3 years in the past/future. A bit hard to swallow but whatever.

2) They never tried to text or call each other to discuss what was happening until he decides to go see her, and were content with just leaving notes in each others diary. I have a hard time believing people going through this wouldn't want to be directly talking to each other about it, but again, whatever.

3) The worst one: how do you expect me to believe the boy never even took the time to find out what town he was living his alternate life in? Not only does he not attempt to find out, but the school he spends most of his time in is literally called "Itomori High School" and he still couldn't make this connection.

Gazz said:
About question 1 and 3,

Gazz said:
About question #2,

Also +1 vote to Koe no Katachi being better, though I still felt it was severely lacking in character and story exploration even without having read the manga beforehand. I feel it would have worked way better as a TV series. I wasn't a huge fan of its ending either.

Anyhow, those in Kimi no Na wa's fanbase shouldn't worry so much about people talking about its flaws. Everything is flawed in some way, and since people have different ways of seeing things everyone can find flaws where anyone else finds none, and vice versa. Being a fan of anything means accepting that either you could find no flaws or (much more often) that the flaws don't matter to you because what you get out of it makes the flaws unimportant or irrelevant to you. By all means debate as much as you want, but not everyone turns their brain off to watch, or is willing to suspend disbelief as much or as little as anyone else.
Sep 4, 2017 6:08 AM

Feb 2016
Someone already said it but you're really late for this

@Xaelath It's a fun thing that i've read Koe no Katachi's manga before knowing that it would be adapted into a movie and still think that the movie is way better. It's just that the direction was really something else, and it helped that they got ride of a lot of stuff i didn't like (like the 'let's do a movie' subplot) and maintained things i liked (mostly Ueno scenes)

@S-quare22 The edgy one are guys who still rant on SAO. Like, it's 2017 already....

Sep 4, 2017 6:12 AM

Apr 2017
Milking the franchise doesn't do GOOD... PLEB

>Still "Fun" to rant it.. by how salty fag you are in the crappy fanbase
-HippySnob-Sep 4, 2017 6:22 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Sep 4, 2017 6:20 AM

Mar 2017
Good grief, this thread is going to go on isn't it?

Curious though OP, which critics do you mean? I hope you don't mean MAL because a cursory glance at the reviews tell a different story.

Tsukihiko said:

@Xaelath It's a fun thing that i've read Koe no Katachi's manga before knowing that it would be adapted into a movie and still think that the movie is way better. It's just that the direction was really something else, and it helped that they got ride of a lot of stuff i didn't like (like the 'let's do a movie' subplot) and maintained things i liked (mostly Ueno scenes)

+ 1 This
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Sep 4, 2017 6:22 AM
Nov 2015
I agree with you, I really do. I do not understand why It's so popular at all, I mean, '' Your Name'' is not a bad movie for me, but It's not good enough either. 7/10.
Sep 4, 2017 6:40 AM

Aug 2014
le_halfhand_easy said:
Good grief, this thread is going to go on isn't it?

Curious though OP, which critics do you mean? I hope you don't mean MAL because a cursory glance at the reviews tell a different story.

Tsukihiko said:

+ 1 This

Well i was hoping some explanation behind the conclusion.

The Manga also have some dragging moments such as lets do a movie? (Really?) Even later they bring the movie to critics.
Sep 4, 2017 7:17 AM

Aug 2013
Kuma said:
Guranto-kun said:

you mean series like
>FMA:b
>Steins;Gate
>Fate/Zero
>RE:Zero
>Shingeki no Kyojin
>Boku dake ga Inai Machi
>Prison School
>One Punch Man
>Psycho-Pass
>Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.
>Death Note
>Berserk
>Akame ga Kill!
>D.Gray-man
>Tokyo Ghoul
shows like this? yeah, agreed TBH...

Yup there are more, er I mean its more like ALL. You see ALL popular shows are like that, be it Anime, anime movies, Real life movies and TV series they're all Overrated and Garbage. < you always see this stuff in all popular shows and yes that includes Gintama, Mushishi and Natsume all overrated and garbage.
Sep 4, 2017 7:19 AM

May 2015
Swagernator said:
S-quare22 said:

Why are you saying it's bullshit? All of them receive much love from what you call edgy people, which is literally what he said.
Other edgy shows for edgy people are Neon Genesis Evangelion, Kizumonogatari I: Tekketsu-hen, Trigun and Fate/stay night.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2017 7:34 AM

Aug 2013
zal said:
Swagernator said:

Why are you saying it's bullshit? All of them receive much love from what you call edgy people, which is literally what he said.
Other edgy shows for edgy people are Neon Genesis Evangelion, Kizumonogatari I: Tekketsu-hen, Trigun and Fate/stay night.

It doesn't matter, in the end all popular shows are auto: overrated and garbage.

I bet next year when a new extremely popular anime that most people like will get comments and reviews like "overrated" and "garbage".

You don't need to brace yourselves and you don't to expect it because its coming.

Its automatic: Overrated. Garbage. Two words.
Sep 4, 2017 8:16 AM

Oct 2010
zal said:
Swagernator said:

Your name has mainstream appeal and she said that it was popular due to appealing to edgy people. She's fundamentally wrong.
jal90Sep 4, 2017 8:20 AM
Sep 4, 2017 8:25 AM

Apr 2016
zal said:
Why are you saying it's bullshit? All of them receive much love from what you call edgy people.

You need to learn what edgy means, and when it use it, SAO its overrated same as Kimi no na wa, but their fans are not edgy people.
Sep 4, 2017 8:29 AM

May 2015
Guranto-kun said:
zal said:

It doesn't matter, in the end all popular shows are auto: overrated and garbage.

I bet next year when a new extremely popular anime that most people like will get comments and reviews like "overrated" and "garbage".

You don't need to brace yourselves and you don't to expect it because its coming.

Its automatic: Overrated. Garbage. Two words.
While I disagree with calling them garbage, popular shows are overrated simply because of the hype culture and average age of anime fans.

jal90 said:
zal said:

Your name has mainstream appeal and she said that it was popular due to appealing to edgy people. She's fundamentally wrong.
Having mainstream appeal and appealing to edgy people are not mutually exclusive, especially in the anime community.

However I said that they were saying the same thing because it seems like Swagernator considers those shows trash like S-quare22 considers Kimi no Na wa trash. They are literally saying the same thing even if they mean different shows.

Swagernator said:
zal said:
Why are you saying it's bullshit? All of them receive much love from what you call edgy people.

You need to learn what edgy means, and when it use it, SAO its overrated same as Kimi no na wa, but their fans are not edgy people.
Are you a fan of Kimi no Na wa?
Sep 4, 2017 8:31 AM

Apr 2016
Yeah, I wonder the same, how can so many people completely ignore all those plot holes, seem like japanese critics did and that's the reason despite being such a box office gigantic, it didn't won any major awards in japan, In this corner of the world did :D
Sep 4, 2017 8:36 AM

Apr 2017
Honestly the plot holes did not bother as much, what bothered me is that I did not feel that 9.35 score. I expected to be really touched, or to be crying in the floor or some shit. However when it finished I was like -huh, yeah, ok, this was nice-.

But back on the topic of plot holes: Dude, I don't think you are not supposed to watch it like that, trying to make sense to everything and shit. It is a movie to sit back and enjoy. I agree that it is overrated as fuck, but that doesn't make it garbage.

Sep 4, 2017 8:40 AM
Jan 2015
Well its a really good movie and the majority seems to agree, sooo stay salty i guess? Lml
My Queens

Sep 4, 2017 8:41 AM

Jul 2015
It'sa clise these days. People will watch/rate high anything that is made/produced by someone they know and apperciate. This applies to many other stuff as well.
Sep 4, 2017 8:45 AM

Feb 2015
Because there's nothing that feels so good groping someone else's oppai when you're in her body.
Sep 4, 2017 8:46 AM

Apr 2016
zal said:
Are you a fan of Kimi no Na wa?

Wouldn't say fan, but i had nothing against it. But i have no problem say that yes it is overrated, not only here but in Japan as well.
Sep 4, 2017 10:56 AM

Apr 2015
Because the majority opinion of people who watched it is that it was really good. That's the only answer there is.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 4, 2017 12:57 PM

May 2015
Swagernator said:
zal said:

How can it be that the most popular and well rated shows around (FMAB, MHA, Code Geass, Death Note, SnK, Gintama, Steins Gate) are loved by edgy people while Kimi no Na wa is very popular and the second best rated show but while not being loved by edgy people?
If you understand what I mean the numbers don't add up, same for SAO: some of SAO fans are also Steins;Gate fans. Do they stop being edgy people based on what show we are talking about?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Na wa. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

checkdafool - Jul 3, 2016

1387 by Hphone »»
10 hours ago

» The only couple that could say they’ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

JuliusKingsley0 - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.