Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 8, 2010 4:56 AM

Mar 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow.... i havent felt like that after watching an episode in a long long time. Such a fitting end to a great show. Talk about going out with a bang. When Ichiro's mom saw what happened to him I lost it just like she did too. So many feelings for so many things in such a short time really is exhausting.

No matter how much you hate Ichiro or his mom nothing will prepare you for how this episode plays out. That or im just a big ass softy.

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Apr 13, 2010 7:28 PM
Sep 2007
best show ever rofl.
Dec 11, 2010 3:29 PM

Aug 2010
i wish there's more anime like this.. simple & hilarious..
May 21, 2011 11:10 PM

Jul 2008
It's been a while rating an anime a perfect 10! Lots and lots of tear jerking moments.
Dec 10, 2012 11:23 AM

Nov 2007
What a sweet and gentle show. Not a single weak story and so many great characters. Usually I'm not too fond of kid protagonists but it was a complete delight to follow Ichiro and his friends (and family). Why don't they make shows like this anymore...
Jun 30, 2013 9:21 PM

Jul 2012
This is an old thread about an old show that shouldn't be forgotten. Whenever I think about listing my all-time most favorite anime my mind invariably goes to this show.
"I just hope the good lord knows, what this life is all about
'cause I'm in the same position as when I started out.
Now I know there's folk in hospitals who are far worse off than me,
Oh, but that don't mean to much when my spirit don't feel free."
- Mark Twain

Blues lovers go here. Jazz lovers go here. Cowboy Bebop music lovers go here.
Aug 14, 2013 3:36 AM

Oct 2008
This show was very simple, but it was great and more people should watch it. On an emotional level, it's awesome and I cried a few times, but maybe it could've handled the whole ghost thing a little better, and maybe they could've fleshed out Ichiro's family a bit more, but those are just minor issues.
The ending wasn't very solid (maybe half solid), but it was still nice and it fits this series well.
Jul 6, 2014 2:21 PM

Apr 2009
This was a great show, the vulgar scenes were nicely contrasted with the emotional highlights of each arc. Voice acting was great (I will never look at Luffy and Franky the same way again :P), OST decent, OP/ED were amazing and a lot of the characters grew on me as well. I especially liked Madame, Ichiro's mother, Kei-chan, Souta, the old abacus teacher and Ichiro itself.

8/10.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jan 28, 2015 6:32 PM

Jul 2011
Ichiro really grew on me. At first I just thought he was a very vulgar kid, but you can see his characterization and growth from each arc. It's subtle. He's still bratty as ever, but you can see changes in his attitude here and there. He's kind, sympathetic, and caring at heart. ^^

Having the MC as a kid makes it more innocent and pure, which is really nice as well. Most of the characters are young, so while the feelings may be complicated, the purity leaves it heart warming. And the emotional moments are effective. I teared a few times and even cried for Takahito's arc. The last episode wasn't the best of all of them, but it left a pretty good impact and impression. Handa's first love. :)

It was funny, nonchalant, and slightly old-school which fit it perfectly. You can definitely feel it's a slightly older small-town setting (90s), which I really like as well. Handa is a great MC, he may be a brat, but he's honest and straightforward. Unlike most SoL supernatural series with a similar concept, Handa is a male (and very boyish), there's little melodrama, he's not ostracized or worries too much about people finding out (and in fact openly admits he can see ghosts). He's still a kid; very innocent (lots of concepts he doesn't understand), easily scared (not a fearless brat ^^), simple minded (food bribes work!) and does whatever he wants.

I liked the series more and more as it progressed, and even though I thought it would be a pain to watch judging from the first episode or so, now I wish there was more. :)
MirorinJan 28, 2015 9:54 PM
Mar 30, 2015 5:40 PM
Apr 2012
Definitely one of the best original comedy shows of all lifetime, and I am truly pained to embrace the fact that nowadays it is definitely rare to come across new shows that bares that same spark of genuine gem like this one in todays selection of crappy time-wasting shows.
Dec 20, 2015 4:37 PM

Feb 2010
All the arcs were great, but this last one felt very underwhelming. I wish this series was a bit longer. But the real question here is will he ever get that color TV?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2016 11:55 PM

Nov 2011
MelbShaw said:
All the arcs were great, but this last one felt very underwhelming. I wish this series was a bit longer. But the real question here is will he ever get that color TV?
I've no idea how the last arc was underwhelming I thought it was perfect way to end the series. As for the color TV probably but he gets pissed when they come out with high def and wants that lol.
May 9, 2016 1:50 PM

Apr 2012
And so it ends. Really wish there more to come. Found it a little touch to get into but my God what a second half to the series!
9/10
May 11, 2016 3:41 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Conclusion was very heartwelming, poor Rinko... well there is Key for Ichiru, so dont worry, about not being able to marry anyone cuz your bride is dead.
The episodes around 15-17 were amazing too, along with this last arc, the best of the series.

An anime that is not the type of those I normally enjoy alot, and I didnt.
I wasnt overhelmed or amazed, sure the story has a couple of good surprises, but for it to be something more, it had to do something more in that regards.
Not an generic anime for sure, but I think I probably would had appreciated it more, if I was a bit younger, there isnt really much complexity or plot development here, and the most episodcily plot didnt particulary picked my interest, addicted me. If I had not marathooned this just for the sake of dealing with my backlog, I would probably take ages to complete the anime. And it is not like the ending felt that rewarding, I would had prefered something that came full circle and that left me fully fullfiled for spending all this time on it, instead of the, just returns to normal scene.
Also why did Ichiru never took of his stichs from the head? Scars dont look like that. At least not exactly the same as it was with the stichs on.
Good series to watch, especially in summer, but if anyone calls it underrated, I would say, bullshit!
8/10
PlaycoolMay 11, 2016 3:50 PM
Nov 2, 2017 8:06 AM
Aug 2014
Great ending to a great show.

Ichiro has grown quite a bit over the course of the show and no longer is a complete brat.
Feb 22, 2018 9:44 PM

Feb 2016
I enjoyed this, a lot, lot more than Natsume's book of friends.

I could be a pesky elitist and nitpick on the inconsistency and lack of 'rules' governing Hanada's ghost interactions. But why? this show has thoroughly warmed me to the core. The character development really took off notably since the Gouda arc, it felt natural and unforced. Hanada began to help ghosts, not so much on being intimidated but by being empathetic, an example being the amount of effort chasing down Takahito or getting beat up and bullied by Youhei.

I really should just give it a 9, nah, a 10 feels right.

In terms of the ED and OP, usually I find backstreet boys music uninteresting, I listened to the original songs and it felt underwhelming. I don't know, maybe the full watercolor and animation drew me in. I can't remember the last time I never skipped the opening and ending songs.

____

Apparently the manga finished with Hanada going into adulthood. I'm gutted man, I just never really got into manga so I don't see myself reading it. You know that trope where the second version you watch always feels 'inferior' in some way. I'm like that but with anime first. I like to pretend that visuals don't matter in contrast to storytelling and character growth, but I just don't feel interested in looking at black and white drawings. I'm probably missing out.
Cloud_IllusionsFeb 22, 2018 10:04 PM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Jan 10, 2019 5:54 AM
May 2018
bittersweet ending! Very good show overall. Wish there were more
Sep 16, 2019 6:11 AM

Oct 2015
Too bad Rinko and Ichiro never got to be together in spirit, his mother just had to interfere! But i can understand why Rinko decided to let him go, it was because she felt the same experience as she did and did not not want to seperate them at all. I really commend her for thinking deeply about the situation. As for Ichiro i was really surprised that he fell in love, as he is usually this carefree naive person. He took this badly than expected,but i am glad he got back to his usual self of refusing ghosts requests. Who is that bald guy, i really would have liked to have heard his story? Too bad.

Overall i enjoyed a lot and probably one of my best anime. The stories were heartwarming, emotional, funny and meaningful, but mostly enjoyable. Ichiro broke the genetic dense bishounen mc boundaries, and set his own standard and pace to the story. The writer told his story in his own way and did not conform to the genetic shit that is clouding the industry. The characters were all great in my view, the art was okay and the plot was thick with richness. Wonder if Madame Catherine crossed over already!

9/10,probably a rewatch someday.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 9, 2020 8:04 AM

Sep 2014
Really enjoyed this series throughout. I liked how most of the arcs explored such scenarios which were quite relatable in some way. Ichiro's character development from beginning to end was very well done. Lastly Madame Catherine was the most interesting character of this show in my opinion.
May 12, 2020 11:21 AM

Aug 2012
Love that final scene with Rinko and the flowers. T_T. This show has led me in a teary mess...again!

But that is it and so comes to an end one of the most emotional Anime viewings I've had in some time. This show tore me to shreads so much in the second half. So many strong emotional stories. And Ichiro really begins to development alot in this second half as well, he is still Ichiro but as is mentioned by Madame at the end he has matured alot too. @Mirorin further up this thread nails everything about why he is such a good main character.

Loved all the characters, loved all the stories, loved the animation. I loved it all.

I'd head for awhile this was a hidden gem and damn is that an understatement. This really should be pushed as one of the best Anime to have never been officially licensed and is required viewing in the same way as Future Boy Conan and for many many years Legend of the Galactic Heroes (which finally did get licensed by Sentai).

I was going to give this series a 9/10 but shows don't get me this invested and this emotional very often. As such a 10/10 really only feels fair and if I certainly wouldn't have thought I would say that after the poop in the litter tray joke from episode 3 that's for sure lol!!!
Jul 5, 2020 9:36 AM

Nov 2017
Fantastic show!!!! I will remember you young Ichiro. Thanks for the good life lessons!!!! Highly recommended!!!
Mar 9, 2021 9:26 PM

May 2008
I will remember this anime for so many years to come. Such a great ending for a great anime. Ichi reminds me a lot of my childhood years!
9/10
May 10, 2021 3:21 AM

Sep 2016
really underated anime!
Sep 11, 2021 9:08 AM

Feb 2020
Great anime, almost no flaw except for ending. I am disappointed by the cliche ("here we go again") ending . I am not sure why they didnot adapt manga ending. they literally adapted everything else except ending. so disappointing to not see grown up ichiro
other than that this anime is masterpiece.
AdampkSep 11, 2021 9:13 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Mar 10, 2022 11:43 AM

Nov 2016
Ichiro was a brat till the end, lmao. And here I thought there would be a genuinely sweet mother-son moment without bs, but nope. I don't mind, tho, this series is at it's best when it mixes tears and comedy.

This final arc was great and managed to stand out even among all the other emotional stories.

8,5/10

One of the best obscure anime.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 12, 6:09 PM
Mar 2018
Hope more people try to explore watching this series. It's one of those actual hidden gems.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hanada Shounen-shi Episode 23 Discussion

Ranivus - Mar 8, 2010

4 by Saiko-sensei »»
Sep 17, 2023 2:49 PM

Poll: » Hanada Shounen-shi Episode 19 Discussion

Hatul - Aug 13, 2013

7 by Saiko-sensei »»
Sep 14, 2023 5:06 AM

Poll: » Hanada Shounen-shi Episode 17 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - Jul 6, 2014

8 by Saiko-sensei »»
Sep 12, 2023 2:08 PM

Poll: » Hanada Shounen-shi Episode 10 Discussion

Lorezhno - Oct 27, 2017

2 by Saiko-sensei »»
Sep 9, 2023 7:53 AM

Poll: » Hanada Shounen-shi Episode 2 Discussion

greebo - Nov 19, 2015

6 by Saiko-sensei »»
Sep 3, 2023 8:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.