Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Akame ga KILL!
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 2, 2017 4:51 PM

Jul 2017
So I just finished the anime and I keep hearing negative reviews and I'm curious as to why? I admit there wasn't ton of character development yet my emotions were brought down as the deaths all were heartbreaking..basically I felt you were easily attached to the characters without tons of development. Other than that I feel the artwork, battle scenes, and story were all great. But I'm left feeling empty and need a rebound anime asap.

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
ShockedSep 3, 2017 2:24 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 2, 2017 4:56 PM

May 2014
Because they kill off characters left and right before you have any time to get invested in them, also the direction it takes doesn't make much sense. The show tries to be dark and mature but it fails miserably.
Sep 2, 2017 5:01 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Idk, with Akame ga Kill it felt to me that the majority of deaths it felt like it never really planted its feet and just killed for the sake of killing, which in spite of Esdeath's near-infinite sex appeal, left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I just sort of wish it planted its feet a bit more, I guess. It felt like it took death really lightly, and all the more annoying because some of the later deaths convinced me that it didn't have to be that way but it still was.

Sep 2, 2017 5:02 PM

Jul 2017
m9 this is for general discussion not specific anime discussion xd

But as for the question on hand I think it's because a lot of people don't like how they have lots of comedy in a 'dark' and 'edgy' anime. While I personally liked the comedy/partial romance I think it ruined the mood for a lot of people
Sep 2, 2017 5:04 PM

May 2016
It's more than likely because you just recently started watching anime so you think it's "great" but in reality it's nothing more than a sub par anime that tries to be really edgy by killing off the characters left and right. Though I do I agree that it isn't as bad as people make it out to be similarly to SAO.
Sep 2, 2017 5:07 PM

Jul 2017
Is the manga much better? The visuals in some of those fights were top notch and the music went well with it too. I guess the deaths that affected me were Mine and Leone as they didn't need to happen.
Sep 2, 2017 5:12 PM

Apr 2017
Mrcsbud2 said:
Is the manga much better? The visuals in some of those fights were top notch and the music went well with it too. I guess the deaths that affected me were Mine and Leone as they didn't need to happen.
mine is meh there's literally no reason to like her

i heard the manga is even more brutal???? but at least there were more survivors

still life: pink roses
Sep 2, 2017 5:15 PM

Aug 2016
Mrcsbud2 said:
sunako199 said:
Mrcsbud2 said:

i heard the manga is even more brutal???? but at least there were more survivors

Manga's more brutal, and has much less comedy (especially in the later parts).

But there is more survivors.

It also sets itself up for a possible, albeit kinda unlikely, sequel.
Sep 2, 2017 5:20 PM

Jun 2017
If you want to know why there are negatives reviews, read them !

Those reviewers wrote a lot to tell you why they disliked it.
I think You'll find much more reasons there than on this forum.

Plus, reading negative reviews of the shows you like is something I find very interesting.
Sep 2, 2017 5:27 PM

Sep 2014
It went by way too fast, Sheele died in like episode 6, and Bulat in Episode 11 but their total screen time was around 10-20 minutes. They had no development, and that was one of Tatsumi's biggest motivations to get stronger, its so he can carry on those two's wishes after death. But you can't really understand why even Tatsuimi bothers when you yourself as the watcher can't get invested with the characters. Also the ending was complete trash, the manga ending was bad as well, but the anime just takes the cake.
Sep 2, 2017 5:28 PM

Apr 2017
Because apparently it is too ''edgy'' or whatever.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 2017 5:34 PM

Jul 2017
I see lots the points why people didn't care for it. I really enjoyed it for some reason, the fight scenes were fun and the mystery behind esdeath and akame. But again I hated how it ended..Leone's death was pointless. Anywhoo I still have feels and would like some recommendations for some good newer anime if possible.
Sep 2, 2017 5:38 PM
Jan 2017
Yeah i can see ppls points on how deaths really brought the show down but personally i enjoyed it as well. I will say the manga had a little bit of a better ending(only for a few of the characters) so if your into that...
Sep 2, 2017 5:39 PM

May 2017
Pros: Esdeath (excluding her forced crush on Mary Sue Tatsumi), first episode was okay

Cons: Everything else
Sep 2, 2017 5:44 PM

Jul 2017
VeigarIII said:
Pros: Esdeath (excluding her forced crush on Mary Sue Tatsumi), first episode was okay

To each their own. I loves esdeath though. Her confusion towards feelings interest me.
Sep 2, 2017 5:57 PM
Jun 2017
this anime is one that if its an early anime of yours you woudlnt mind but if you came into it having seen actual classics you would realize how lackluster this piece of crap is'

its main characters are all mostly generic carbon copys of the formula and I cant remember many of them at all and any that I do remember were killed off before I could like them or before their death had any weight

their art animation and story were decent except for the ending which makes little to no sense

and I would like to end with that the way you felt at the end is called being dissatisfied,if a series ends well you will be lost in the ending and wont feel like starting another show until the feeling subsides,like what haikyu or bakuman did to me,in short this is a generic crap of an anime that kills for shock but doesent make it dramatic or plot driven nearly as well as shows like attack on titan and make all the characters who die ones who I coulda liked if they went on to live and died only when it was necessary to further the story and develop the characters

thats the reason why this show is bad
Sep 2, 2017 5:57 PM

Apr 2017
- Half girls seems to fall for the Tatsumi just because of his smile, ffs...

- The show gave off the impression it was killing characters off for the sake of killing then.

- Fight scenes we're meh

- The ending felt rush.
Sep 2, 2017 5:58 PM
Jun 2017
Hmm, imagine someone says they bought you a new laptop. You stick your hands out to take it and, bang, they slam that shit on the floor.

Akame ga Kills characters in a nutshell
Sep 2, 2017 6:00 PM
Jun 2017
Akilleez said:
It's more than likely because you just recently started watching anime so you think it's "great" but in reality it's nothing more than a sub par anime that tries to be really edgy by killing off the characters left and right. Though I do I agree that it isn't as bad as people make it out to be similarly to SAO.

I agree this anime is one where if its your first you will be sold on anything average cause anything average is "well done" to a brain that hasnt experienced the true classics,that being said the plot was lackluster at best and characters were generic but it didnt leave as bad a taste in my mouth as root A

FUCK ROOT A
Sep 2, 2017 6:23 PM

Mar 2017
akame ga kill is a decent anime until you start reading the manga
it doesn't follow the manga at all, it just takes all the characters and starts killing them off one by one
it's much too fast paced to the point where you don't give a fuck about the characters for the little time that you see them
in the end it's just a failed attempt at adapting the manga and ended up being a sloppy, generic shounen
read the manga and you will feel the same way
Sep 2, 2017 6:28 PM

Jun 2015
Poor pacing. It worked better as a once a month manga format.
Sep 2, 2017 6:34 PM

Jul 2017
Chobruh said:
this anime is one that if its an early anime of yours you woudlnt mind but if you came into it having seen actual classics you would realize how lackluster this piece of crap is'

its main characters are all mostly generic carbon copys of the formula and I cant remember many of them at all and any that I do remember were killed off before I could like them or before their death had any weight

their art animation and story were decent except for the ending which makes little to no sense

and I would like to end with that the way you felt at the end is called being dissatisfied,if a series ends well you will be lost in the ending and wont feel like starting another show until the feeling subsides,like what haikyu or bakuman did to me,in short this is a generic crap of an anime that kills for shock but doesent make it dramatic or plot driven nearly as well as shows like attack on titan and make all the characters who die ones who I coulda liked if they went on to live and died only when it was necessary to further the story and develop the characters

Lol this wins. While I still enjoyed it I'd say it's far from perfect. While I'm no veteran to anime I've still seen my fair share, I was into it heavily when I was younger but took off about 6-7 years and fell in love again once attack on Titan started, also binge watching fma brotherhood got me back into it. I've seen most of these "quality classics". This def didn't have the same quality impact when it ended like say parasyte which was perfect Imo. I just enjoyed it I guess regardless if the stuff you posted made sense.
Sep 2, 2017 6:35 PM
Aug 2016
Edgy worthless shounen, with horrific worldbuilding and storytelling. One-dimensional cardboard "characters" with no personalities and motivations, that are given backstories just to kill them right off the bat, which is idiotic in itself. No one will care about these "characters" either way. Awful transition between gore and comedy with fanservice, because mixing them is a good idea, right? Obvious cliches are also present here, but the the frosting on the cake is the lack of logic in this "show". It's insulting.

Heartbreaking? I was laughing my ass out at these scenes, because I don't care about "characters" that are undeveloped something.
Animation didn't match the edgy mood it tried to have and battle scenes were poor. Plot is beyond being just generic, it's awful.

So, that's that.
Sep 2, 2017 6:47 PM
Jun 2017
Mrcsbud2 said:
Chobruh said:

Lol this wins. While I still enjoyed it I'd say it's far from perfect. While I'm no veteran to anime I've still seen my fair share, I was into it heavily when I was younger but took off about 6-7 years and fell in love again once attack on Titan started, also binge watching fma brotherhood got me back into it. I've seen most of these "quality classics". This def didn't have the same quality impact when it ended like say parasyte which was perfect Imo. I just enjoyed it I guess regardless if the stuff you posted made sense.

I was pretty proud myself of how I worded my response and made it so logically sound :)

Sep 2, 2017 7:02 PM

Jul 2017
So suggestions!? I want to start something new
Sep 2, 2017 7:17 PM

Nov 2014
Mrcsbud2 said:
my emotions were brought down as the deaths all were heartbreaking.

The deaths were shocking, not so much heartbreaking. Having a shock sudden death of a person you know can very much happen in real, it's actually a very realistic feeling. But that's ALL Akame ga Kill is capable of. They don't even keep the mood long enough for us to feel sad, because right they next episode sometimes the characters would be playing in the waterfalls.

When the shock value of killing off characters is gone, Akame ga Kill becomes an unintentional comedy.

Mrcsbud2 said:

Update your anime list, that way it's easier for people to recommend you anime.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Sep 2, 2017 7:20 PM
Apr 2016
Mrcsbud2 said:

I respectfully and warmly welcome you to check ouy my own anime list. Everything that has an 8 or better is something i highly recomend. If you like Akame Ga Kill there is a chance that you will apreciate the stuff i like, since i also enjoyed Akame ga Kill (gave it a 6 wich is a good score on my book).
Sep 2, 2017 8:08 PM

Jul 2017
VeigarIII said:

Esdeath? Uh no not even. She's scary af.

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Sep 2, 2017 8:13 PM

Feb 2015
Well, to be honest, the first moment they said like "When a user of this godly weapon clash each other, one has to die"

I know I don't need to focus too much on the character since they'll die anyway... But Sheele and Mine :(

mfw OP wants recs... :/

Anwyay... Tis https://myanimelist.net/anime/22199/Akame_ga_Kill/userrecs

The closest one I can agree would probably be Tokyo Ghoul.
_Ako_Sep 2, 2017 8:17 PM
Sep 2, 2017 9:25 PM

Jul 2017
lazypigz said:
VeigarIII said:

lazypigz said:
VeigarIII said:

haha no no she's everything plus some on top of some on top of me
Sep 3, 2017 3:01 AM

Feb 2013
its a vocal minority.. the series itself is relatively high rated
Sep 3, 2017 3:38 AM

May 2017
lazypigz said:
VeigarIII said:

Esdeath is to scary for u?

Yeah, you are right she kinda is...Let me pick someone else.

How about the annoying Tsundere Mine? Or Akame who has almost no personality...or Chelsea, she had like what 1-2 episodes screentime, no big deal right?

Esdeath is the only logical choice here.
Sep 3, 2017 3:49 AM
Jul 2018
character development isn't rly that needed. people who cling on to it dont try to enjoy, just bitch about it.

Short_Circut said:
m9 this is for general discussion not specific anime discussion xd

so? this site is a mess.
an anime site and 10-20 people talk about anime.
Sep 3, 2017 3:51 AM

Mar 2015
idontknowwhat said:
Mrcsbud2 said:
sunako199 said:

Manga's more brutal, and has much less comedy (especially in the later parts).

But there is more survivors.

It also sets itself up for a possible, albeit kinda unlikely, sequel.

there is currently ongoing prequel tho
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 3, 2017 5:39 AM

Feb 2015
I hated how characters died only to replaced by a new character who also died after 3 episodes.

Also the artstlye was so horribly generic and bubbly, that it completely destroyed the atmosphere, in my opinion. The characters all looked like they are straight out of a "how to draw manga" book.
Sep 3, 2017 5:43 AM

Apr 2016
Jesus lord another thread about "how good akame ga kill is because of deaths, it's so mature my god".
Sep 3, 2017 5:46 AM

Apr 2017
And Chelsea become the one with the stick covered with cherry on top

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Sep 3, 2017 5:55 AM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
Just read the manga. The anime went original in the ending and kills off too much. For the record, I loved the anime, but the manga was infinitely better.

Plus, let's see how many people are gonna keep bagging on it.
OmegaOtakuSep 3, 2017 5:59 AM

"πšƒπš’πš–πšŽ 𝚝𝚘 πš–πš’πš‘ πšπš›πš’πš—πš”πšœ πšŠπš—πš πšŒπš‘πšŠπš—πšπšŽ πš•πš’πšŸπšŽπšœ."
β˜† π™°πš—πš’πš–πšŽ π™»πš’πšœπš β˜†
β˜† πš…π™½π™³πš‹ β˜†
β˜† π™±πšŠπšŒπš”πš•πš˜πšπšπšŽπš›πš’ β˜†
Sep 3, 2017 5:59 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
People just don't like it so they call it bad like they do with any other series tbh.
Sep 3, 2017 6:08 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
THERE WAS TOO MUCH EDGE.... ALL HER FRIENDS ARE DEAD!!!

is probably what people hated... you know how critical people are.. they hate anything done just for the sake of doing it

and because the people who have something negative to say are always far more likely to say something... but as mentioned.. the vast majority love it
Sep 3, 2017 6:49 AM

Apr 2016
OmegaOtaku said:
but the manga was infinitely better.

And how exactly is manga with bestiality ending better lol.
Sep 3, 2017 7:00 AM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
Swagernator said:
OmegaOtaku said:
but the manga was infinitely better.

And how exactly is manga with bestiality ending better lol.

Better than having Mine and Tatsumi die
Plus, that wasn't established

"πšƒπš’πš–πšŽ 𝚝𝚘 πš–πš’πš‘ πšπš›πš’πš—πš”πšœ πšŠπš—πš πšŒπš‘πšŠπš—πšπšŽ πš•πš’πšŸπšŽπšœ."
β˜† π™°πš—πš’πš–πšŽ π™»πš’πšœπš β˜†
β˜† πš…π™½π™³πš‹ β˜†
β˜† π™±πšŠπšŒπš”πš•πš˜πšπšπšŽπš›πš’ β˜†
Sep 3, 2017 1:00 PM

Jul 2017
VeigarIII said:
lazypigz said:

Esdeath is to scary for u?

Yeah, you are right she kinda is...Let me pick someone else.

How about the annoying Tsundere Mine? Or Akame who has almost no personality...or Chelsea, she had like what 1-2 episodes screentime, no big deal right?

Esdeath is the only logical choice here.
Nah fuck all the girls the only one for me is husbando Susanoo but guess what he's dead too!
Lemme rephrase this for you...
Pros: nothing
Cons: pretty much everything

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Sep 3, 2017 1:22 PM

Feb 2016
ikr man AgK is very overhated
its better than stuff like SAO or Re:Zero yet the very fans of said shit shows hate on Akame ;(

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Sep 3, 2017 1:53 PM

Jan 2011
i didnt care about the characters, i kinda wanted to watch them die since some of the deaths were imo unintentionally hillarous
Sep 3, 2017 1:54 PM

Jul 2017
SpaghettiSpike said:
ikr man AgK is very overhated
its better than stuff like SAO or Re:Zero yet the very fans of said shit shows hate on Akame ;(

And I got nothing but love for sao, the first arc I thought was really good and ggo I thought was underrated. I'm not super picky as I can find something to like in most shows I guess.
Sep 3, 2017 2:13 PM
Dec 2015
It has a very vocal minority that hate it. Kinda like SAO but on a smaller scale. They insist that it's terrible because a lot of people like it while they don't. Also the animes filler ending was kinda a let down. As for people calling it 'dark' and 'edgy.' Yeah it's pretty dark but most people don't know what edgy actually means cause that show really wasn't edgy.
Sep 3, 2017 2:19 PM

Jul 2017
Varris said:
It has a very vocal minority that hate it. Kinda like SAO but on a smaller scale. They insist that it's terrible because a lot of people like it while they don't. Also the animes filler ending was kinda a let down. As for people calling it 'dark' and 'edgy.' Yeah it's pretty dark but most people don't know what edgy actually means cause that show really wasn't edgy.

I'm fine with ppl not liking it for certain reasons, shoot it's not perfect! But I really enjoyed it minus the ending.
Sep 3, 2017 2:27 PM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime Discussion

It's a fine show if you want to enjoy the action and death drama. I have a personal dislike of death used in abundance, but as far as how the show functions, it does run into an issue of killing off characters before they're really fully explored, and the ending was quite rushed and convenient.
Sep 3, 2017 2:31 PM
Dec 2015
Mrcsbud2 said:
Varris said:

I'm fine with ppl not liking it for certain reasons, shoot it's not perfect! But I really enjoyed it minus the ending.

Oh yeah I love that series to death and I'm definitely going to read the sequel. It wasn't perfect but people like to flame anime for no reason other than that people like it. Thats pretty much what's happening with SAO too. I'm not the biggest fan of it but it wasn't horrible. It was a pretty generic harem anime with a self insert main character, an anime that had an interesting schtick, decent animation, and good music. Yet there's things like Absolute Duo that are honestly a lot worse but don't really get any hate because no one really argues for it. You'll see the same thing to various degrees on all anime that are popular. Point being learn to ignore people's opinions online. If you like it that's all that matters.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akame ga Kill! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2014

282 by Cammell »»
Apr 18, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Akame ga Kill! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2014

1363 by Fiorno »»
Apr 13, 11:22 PM

Poll: » Akame ga Kill! Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2014

981 by Fiorno »»
Apr 13, 11:02 PM

Poll: » Akame ga Kill! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2014

471 by Fiorno »»
Apr 13, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Uff...those continuous deaths

S1H2A3N - Mar 17

1 by 7Hunna_Jahmir »»
Mar 26, 2:49 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.