Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Welcome to the Ballroom
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 2, 2017 10:32 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nice, Tatara and Mako really danced out there and gave the audience a show. I mean, they are the underdogs but imo, they did really well. The practice and training paid off.

Not to mention, I think both of them had fun dancing too with their smiles. I like how they also used the camera angles this episode to capture specific moments when they were dancing.

Tatara has really improved and it's really showing :D
Sep 2, 2017 11:33 AM

Dec 2014
This episode was in a word masterful.

Absolutely brilliant, I've got no words to praise how amazing this episode was. I was just smiling throughout the entire episode, Huge props to Tatara and Mako for putting on such an elegant and mesmerizing display. Love how they put on that improvised routine and how the entire ballroom was shaken by their stunning performance.

Soundtrack was fantastic and all those smiles especially Mako's were lovely. <3
I even got reallyemotional in this episode especially when they showed Mako smiling in contrast to her flashback. This episode is now the prime reason I believe that these two should never split up as a couple.

I don't even know what more to say, brilliant just brilliant.
Sep 2, 2017 11:40 AM

Dec 2011
This was the episode i have been waiting for since the anime started and it wasn't a disappointment.
Amazing episode with really good soundtrack and I would really applaud to both Tatara and Mako for this splendid dance.Mako was just so beautiful while dancing and next episode Gaju going all out.
Sep 2, 2017 11:58 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Words can't express how beautiful this was, i was on the verge of seriously tearing up for the whole second half.
Sep 2, 2017 12:00 PM

Jul 2012
Had to watch this twice. Man, Yuki Hayashi's music is wonderful. It really complements the story.
RedSep 2, 2017 12:43 PM
Sep 2, 2017 12:08 PM

Nov 2014
I'm waiting this episode too, is amazing i have no words, fill and exceeds my expectation for the "Frame and Flower".

Now i am more excited in see animated the chapter "Agreement".
Sep 2, 2017 12:09 PM

Nov 2009
I felt some scenes were a little too slow or unnecessarily drawn out, especially how they repeated the scene from the previous episode with Mako telling Tatara her wish like 3 times. Mako being a pretty little flower and the effect it had on the audience was beautiful though.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Sep 2, 2017 12:09 PM

Jun 2015
Tatara and Mako's dance was beautiful. They took the concept of Flower and Frame literally. They also mixed in various variations in their dance. She got more compliments than he did. The judges don't know how to judge them since they judge based on the leader's skills and the unity of the couple. The audience loved their performance. Tatara has improved immensely.
Sep 2, 2017 12:19 PM

Aug 2013
Awesome episode. Brilliant. Mako literally bloomed and all eyes were on her. As the some of the judges have said, it will be hard to assess Tatara as they were stunned by Mako's display.

Sengoku got played by Marisa. She changed the solo dance at the last minute.

Sep 2, 2017 12:23 PM
Jul 2012
Another really slow episode that didn't do much. They didn't do much dancing animation, they really slowed down the pacing from the previous episodes, and they keep reusing scenes from previous episodes.

I'm assuming it's going to be another 3 episodes before this arc is over at the pace of this series currently.
Sep 2, 2017 12:27 PM

Oct 2009
it's like Tatara took Mako's dancing virginity and make her pregnant lmao

you tellin me mangas aint japanese colouring books
Sep 2, 2017 12:46 PM

Nov 2016
"He made her bloom",some people are able to bring out the best of one, Tatara is really the perfect dance partner for Mako.

Won't say much more, beautiful episode and the OSTs were absolute top tier.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 2, 2017 12:46 PM

Apr 2012
I wish the animation was better. Like showing more of the leg movements instead of close ups of their upper body. Otherwise a decent episode and mako's dress is $$

lmao what the fuck is wrong with her eye

Sep 2, 2017 1:02 PM

Nov 2014
This episode really really really AWESOME.
Goosebumps over the entire episode.
Sep 2, 2017 1:19 PM

May 2014
Man, I didn't think they could make ballroom dancing exude such a competitive atmosphere on par with other sports series, but they sure did. Got me on the edge of my seat! Can't wait to see Tatara expand his knowledge in technique and grow even further. I wouldn't even be mad if Mako ended up being his permanent partner, leave the man who did you wrong behind!
Sep 2, 2017 1:39 PM

Jul 2010
Vicious said:
I wish the animation was better. Like showing more of the leg movements instead of close ups of their upper body. Otherwise a decent episode and mako's dress is $$

lmao what the fuck is wrong with her eye

The whole episode preview is like wtf happened to the animations lmao. I can't unsee.
Sep 2, 2017 2:10 PM

Dec 2014
okay wow that felt amazing...I hope they win after all that
Sep 2, 2017 2:21 PM

Mar 2016
I ALWAYS SEEM TO BE SMILING WHEN I AM WATCHING THIS!! EVERY. SINGLE. EPISODE.
Sep 2, 2017 2:37 PM
Jun 2017
Mako really bloomed. That's the one of epic episodes ever. Soundtracks, affection and animation effects were masterpeice degree. This episode took my breath away
Sep 2, 2017 3:16 PM

Apr 2013
I don't know when I smiled but as always, splendid job. Even though I knew exactly what to expect since I read the manga last week or so I did not lose out on anything.

Sep 2, 2017 3:17 PM

May 2014
This was a beautiful episode!
Definitely subverted my expectations- Tatara became the "frame" but did he become a leader? It seems more like Mako was really leading, and as such she took all the spotlight. Although I guess that was the whole point.

She looked absolutely breathtaking and her being noticed and praised as a dancer has been a long time coming. Gaju's presence is just way to strong for a wallflower like her, and his selfishness comes off in his dancing.
I laughed when he looked all shocked though- like he must feel kind of crappy when this novice dude waltzes in (literally) and showcases his partner off like he's been dancing with her for years!

Shizuku is seriously beginning to grate on me now though- I get that she's insecure about Hyodo, but she's just coming off as bitchy and bitter. She really needs to get over herself at this point, and I dunno, maybe try communicating with her partner in words rather than just dance.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 2017 3:28 PM

Mar 2014
my sight was absorbed into mako's booty.
Sep 2, 2017 3:31 PM

May 2015
OMG, they absolutely nailed the Flower & Frame adaptation. That was just way too beautiful ;__;....

Sep 2, 2017 4:00 PM

Dec 2012
Wonderful episode.

Tatara & Mako dancing was awesome. Mako truly bloomed & the audience was captivated.

Love the blooming flowers & petals imagery.

Gaju & Shizuku next.

Love the little changes in the ED song with Mako dancing by herself.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Sep 2, 2017 4:07 PM

Nov 2015
That was so good. But srsly I feel bad for Tatara cuz no one gave a fuck about him. And it seems that he was exagerating in th Frame and Flower dancing concept from what Hyoudo's mother thought. Well, that's what he wants, he isn't trying to win th competition as a couple, he just wants Gaju to accept Mako.
Sep 2, 2017 4:46 PM

Jun 2014
Sengoku: "Just the two of you will be on the floor for one whole minute."

God damn that "one whole minute" took up one whole episode lol. But what Tatara and Mako did was amazing, he really brought out the best in her and I love how they showed that with the blooming flower imagery. They did a lot of improvising since Tatara still doesn't have too much experience but it was still great. I don't really know what else to say, their dance and this episode in general was really good.

Let's see what Gaju and Hanaoka do next episode.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 2, 2017 6:16 PM

Dec 2009
Longest minute ever.
Sep 2, 2017 6:48 PM
Mar 2010
^
I concur, but I don't mind seeing their minute even in an hour run.
Sep 2, 2017 8:57 PM

Jan 2017
Wow! Tatara delivered when Mako asked him to make her bloom, he did that and then some.
Gosh, I didn't think it was possible for me to love Hyoudou more than I do but he's so supportive of Tatara and awesome. what a guy!
Sep 2, 2017 9:28 PM

Mar 2011
For those who care, anyone love how in each ED the shadow changes based on the episode?
The small details make it so much enjoyable. For example:

Ep 1-4

Ep 5-6

Ep 7-8

Ep 9

MrOtakezzSep 2, 2017 10:33 PM
10 - [A+] Personal favourite: Best of its genre.
9 - [A] Excellent: Highly enjoyable and memorable.
8 - [B] Great: Genuinely liked and worthwhile.
7 - [C] Average: It's average, still entertaining.
6 - [D] Poor: It's aight. Flawed show.
5 - [E] Bad: Why did i even watch this.
< - [F] Uhh: Nani the fuck?!
Sep 2, 2017 10:41 PM

May 2017
ibraheem234 said:
okay wow that felt amazing...I hope they win after all that

Not likely, they obviously won't win, very predictable
Sep 2, 2017 10:57 PM

Jun 2015
Enjoyable episode. I wasn't a huge fan of the amount of reused cuts with all those flashbacks filling time, but there were some really cool moments of animation that made up for it, such as this beautiful scene with Mako:

I think the direction was a bit weaker this ep in general, but just seeing Mako so absolutely elated really overshadowed that fact. It was a feels good ep before the storm coming.

People noted a lot of still-frame shots this episode, but I think those were important to emphasize Tatara's body position as he acts as Mako's frame (noticing his strong hand position on her back, his left hand leading figures, etc.) and also to emphasize a critical thing judges look for which is smiles and poise. We still had a wonderful piece of animation which I mentioned above with Mako.

It was a bit cheesy and campy, but it was nice to see Mako "bloom". I'm not sure if they were aiming for the concept of fluid leading with that, which can be a thing, but it was cool for the story either way. Seeing someone like Mako gain confidence in herself is always something that will bring a smile to my own face :)
Sep 2, 2017 10:58 PM

May 2015
Well this certainly was a pretty episode. Mako got the spotlight while Tatara was hidden from the eyes of the audience. Since Mama Hyoudou is one of the judges, it's pretty certain that they won't win. Still...

The only thing that irked me this episode as some have mentioned is that the solo dance is but a minute long, and they made this minute last 20. They did give all the details on their performance, but it felt as though they made the dance drag on a little too long to feel like it lasted a minute...
TarotistNov 14, 2017 6:21 AM
Sep 2, 2017 11:23 PM

Oct 2015
How is this series not rated a 9? So far it's really really good. I know there's still a long way to go before episode 24 but I hope this get another season :( Really good series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 2017 11:47 PM

Dec 2013
Yeah they did a wonderful job with this episode.
The adaptation of their 1st minute "routine" for an entire 22 minutes was a bit unexpected, but not unwelcome. All the monologues from the audience and the judges were great in allowing viewers to understand just how hard it was for Tatara's leading to bring Mako to bloom, as well as how they believe he interpreted his role as support during these finals.

This will come up again once the next arc comes along, so I'm really happy they made to focus on this for the episode.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Sep 3, 2017 1:19 AM

Sep 2013
Incredible episode,just wow....

I don't know shit about dancing but i think i can recognize what's beautiful and god this episode showed it to me,plus the bonus in the ending only made it better.

I'm glad i started this anime and i can say hands fucking down that's its the best of the season and one of the best of this year,just incredible at every eps.
Deep dark fantasies
Sep 3, 2017 2:14 AM

Aug 2013
I truly loved this episode very much , epic epic epic .... i felt like i was really into the dance , the true meaning of time stop applies on Production IG's Ballroom , it's like the episode was 2 min but no the hype was too real , it was long time to feel like this way again , my rate 9.7/10.
Sep 3, 2017 3:29 AM

Jun 2016
Kyaaa! This episode's so beautiful. Thanks to Mako-chan being so gorgeous this episode. Omfg. She's literally a flower blooming throughout the episode. Omedetou gozaimasu, Tatara and Mako-chan! What a beautiful performance despite it being just stops and poses, and just them describing their moves. <3 Hahaha!

P.S. I'll always be salty with this problem of the show. Show us the full dance just like how Studio Mappa animated the whole skating routine in Yuri!!! on Ice. :p

Loved this episode so much, though! <3

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Sep 3, 2017 3:46 AM

Jan 2016
Masterful episode is all I can say
Sep 3, 2017 5:23 AM

Feb 2014
Wow, for a one minute dance, they made last around 16 minutes instead! XD

But thank god they did, as this episode was simply epic. Tatara's thinking as he guided Mako on the dance floor was really good and it helped Mako reach her full potential as the crowd was simply gobsmacked by mostly her alone.

Marisa was right to question Tatara's leader skills though. He did great, but Mako pretty much stole the show with their performance. Because of that, I see Gaju and Shizuku winning the cup with their upcoming performance, presumably with BOTH of them getting the full focus and praise from the crowd and judges alike.

The soundtrack made this episode even better. It made Tatara and Mako's dance more impactful and beautiful, along with some calmer songs thrown in as well. Their was more dancing animation too, which is a good improvement, but like @RealityRush mentioned, the still frame shots did an excellent job at showcasing and empathising the number of positions and poses that Tatara and Mako were doing.

Sure, having the dance fully animated is great and all, but having the close-up still frame shots in the dance as well would have a better impact on each poses and movements on the dance itself. I'm happy with it overall. =)

Looking forward to next week's dance of Gaju and Shizuku, although Shizuku's close up in the preview looks off. An outsourced animation frame to a different studio maybe to blame for this? =/
Sep 3, 2017 6:31 AM

May 2016
Ever since I started watching this show... I just can't stop.

It's so damn good >.<
Sep 3, 2017 6:31 AM

Jul 2016
beautiful episode, is tatara could be called a leader?, ofc yes, there are different kinds of leader, tatara lead her partner, by overshadowing himself so all the attention will be on mako. Tatara lead Mako on what her partner wants, cause her partner can't do it alone, so that still makes him a leader.
Sep 3, 2017 6:37 AM

Nov 2016
Saitama said:
How is this series not rated a 9? So far it's really really good. I know there's still a long way to go before episode 24 but I hope this get another season :( Really good series.

Pretty sure the score will keep raising slow and steady and when it's done airing it should be around an 8.3-8.5.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 3, 2017 6:51 AM

Jun 2016
Otakezz said:
For those who care, anyone love how in each ED the shadow changes based on the episode?

Ep 1-4

Ep 5-6

Ep 7-8

Ep 9

I just came here to say the same thing. Having only Mako's shadow only being shown here was a nice touch.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Sep 3, 2017 7:13 AM

Jan 2014
Um, yeah, that was totally a minute.. lmao

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Sep 3, 2017 7:35 AM

Jul 2015
That was an awesome episode, Tatara really made Mako shine, not sure if they will get a good score due to that performance tho.

Otakezz said:

Ep 1-4

Ep 5-6

Ep 7-8

Ep 9

Mako is now dabbing lmao.
Sep 3, 2017 8:26 AM

Dec 2013
Meta_Yoshi said:

Looking forward to next week's dance of Gaju and Shizuku, although Shizuku's close up in the preview looks off. An outsourced animation frame to a different studio maybe to blame for this? =/

The reason for her eyes looking kind of droopy is because it's an image from a flashback of when she was a kid, and I guess according to Japanese studios, the way to animate the difference between kids and adults are that their eyes get sharper (more mature) the more they grow up.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Sep 3, 2017 9:53 AM

Nov 2011
This episode could have been really good if there wasn't so much repetitions through the whole thing. They just kept reiterating the same thing over and over again, showing the same flashbacks over and over again, it just annoyed me.

When they actually showed something new it was good, the dance with the flowers petals was beautiful, but unfortunately for me what stood out was the things I complained about.
I just hope it gets better because I do like this show.

dayoooooon said:
it's like Tatara took Mako's dancing virginity and make her pregnant lmao

Haha yeah kinda felt like she was having some orgasms during the dance.
Baby, daijobanai...
Sep 3, 2017 11:20 AM

Mar 2013
Aye this was good performance. Still frame shots and close ups to show off poses... but I can't ask for more, can I? *sigh*

"Flower and Frame". Tatara went beyond his role as a frame that he totally blended in the background, which itself made Mako look like a sole dancer who stood out on the platform.
I wonder if this warrants their win in the competition.

Some nice screenshots tho. I loved Tatara's face full of confidence. And they really look alike at the end, haha.

Sep 3, 2017 11:47 AM
Aug 2017
The only problem I saw in this episode was that the scene where Mako-chan says, "Please make me bloom." is repeated too much. I know that it´s short but it bored me so much all the times it was repeated after the second time in the episode and I know that were just like 2 or 3 more times but i hated it.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

173 by Copie »»
Apr 9, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Naruleach - Jul 2, 2017

125 by ThorPalma »»
Jan 1, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2017

59 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 30, 2023 10:34 PM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

57 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 30, 2023 12:16 AM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2017

51 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 28, 2023 9:41 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.