Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2017 2:32 PM

Jul 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well this show started out well didn't it

Such a weird combination of all things in this anime but that's already a weird hook for me.
Oct 20, 2017 4:03 PM
Jan 2017
The writing was kind of shit. Aside from the dialogue being piss poor at parts, the way it's structured is awful as well, completely ruining any kind of tension during the fight. I get that it's structured for us to be suddenly thrust into the fight while slowly learning the backstory, but it just doesn't work. Filena's constant monologuing as she reflects on her shitty fighting takes us out of the moment and there's the long flashbacks as well. If we got all of that before the actual fight, it would have worked much better.

The direction was kind of awkward but with flashes of inspiration at times. The poor elements might just be because the techniques hadn't been properly developed at that point, especially since they were harder to do traditionally, the lack of budget probably affects that as well. There's a small pause between each line of dialogue which makes the dialogue feel stilted. The quick zooms done multiple times on Filena's face during the tense parts are just silly and unexciting.

On the other hand, the actual good aspects, which are mostly just overt emotional metaphors, with a few bits of good storyboarding here and there, are probably techniques aped from other, more competent directors.

The use of colour in the first scene was pretty good. For the most part it's bathed in browns and oranges. The only blues being in the water behind the glass. The light shines down on the queen when she instills hope in the king, who himself has a sliver of white light on his face after that bit. The blue water flooding the enemy soldiers drowns out the browns in a small victory, but afterwards with the two soldiers, the browns once again dominate the screen.
Nov 19, 2017 9:41 PM

Apr 2014
i was very intrigued by this anime and even after seeing the bad ratings i was very curious. the synopsis looked very interesting and i love the old art style but the execution is so so bad. the story had so much potential but sadly it looks like it's gonna be shit lol

i'm actually very disappointed because this could have been so great for me. the power ranger gladiators are so stupid lol, i wish it was just gladiators

still, despite it being so poorly done i'm going to continue watching because it was kinda amusing. i can totally see myself liking this as a child
belovingNov 19, 2017 9:53 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 19, 2019 10:17 AM

Jun 2014
The setting is quite interesting. Filena is an interesting character, although we don't know a whole lot about her, but perhaps we will soon, and we can also watch her grow as a warrior.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Eien no Filena Episode 4 Discussion

beloving - Nov 20, 2017

2 by Kristiwazhere »»
Feb 8, 2020 8:53 PM

Poll: » Eien no Filena Episode 6 Discussion

beloving - Nov 20, 2017

5 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Feb 8, 2020 8:48 PM

Poll: » Eien no Filena Episode 2 Discussion

beloving - Nov 20, 2017

2 by Kristiwazhere »»
Feb 5, 2020 11:19 AM

Poll: » Eien no Filena Episode 5 Discussion

_-_Sally_-_ - Aug 19, 2019

0 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Aug 19, 2019 1:51 PM

Poll: » Eien no Filena Episode 3 Discussion

_-_Sally_-_ - Aug 19, 2019

0 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Aug 19, 2019 11:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.